NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1403, 1404, 1405 ... 2543, 2544, 2545  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:46 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Projected tax line is 165m, so 182.5M takes away the MMLE. Lakers will have to be creative now to bring people back. The dollar amount DLO/RUI signs matters a lot. I hope we can keep the MLE for DS

We'll need to find out whether the numbers change under the new CBA. There was some talk about adjusting the salary cap and luxury tax threshold calculations. We shall see.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:46 am    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
Vanderbilt is going to pay off BIG TIME come playin/playoff time. His defensive ability (and versatility) is HUGE and hopefully it becomes contagious.

Yea, a DS-Reaves-Vando defensive unit can disrupt opposing teams’ back court rhythm
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
Mavs have Hardaway at 17M, Bertans at 17M, Bullock at 10M, Kleber at 11M, McGee at 5.7M. What on earth are they doing lol.

They been trying to move like 3-4 of those guys. But most those guys got overpaid because they were going to lose them for nothing. The funny thing is when they traded for Kyrie they traded the wrong guys.

But I guess Nets didn't want any part of those guys contracts above.

And that is what many here want the Lakers to do, keep salaries instead of losing them for nothing. They can be trade bait, until they can’t. Players still need to have some on court value.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Quote:
NBA owners and executives were largely indifferent or fully against returning to high school gymnasiums to evaluate players, and even less enthusiastic about that idea without concessions from the NBPA on providing increased access to pre-draft player medical information and increased participation in several elements of the draft combine, sources said.

Quote:
NBPA executive director Tamika Tremaglio has spoken publicly of veteran players' concerns about 18-year-old players taking away roster spots as a reason for pause on lowering the age. Also, the rise of significant financial opportunities for players before joining the NBA -- including name, image and likeness rights in NCAA basketball and actual contracted pay with the G League Ignite and Overtime Elite programs -- has softened the NBPA's belief there needed to be an aggressive push for lowering the draft limit, sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36018751/sources-nba-nbpa-table-minimum-age-discussion-cba-talks

Is that a concern for the g league? The g league veterans losing a roster spot to a high school kid. Or are the ignite and overtime elite programs only for high school kids? I don’t follow the g league

G League Ignite and Overtime Elite are different systems.

G League Ignite is a little hard to explain without some background. The players on all of the other G League teams are guys who have been through the draft in the past, whether they got drafted or not. They may have NBA contracts (Christie), have two-way contracts (Swider), or have no contract with an NBA team (Huff, until he signed with the Wizards).

G League Ignite is a special team for prospects who are not yet draft eligible. It plays a different schedule than the other G League teams, and it includes a few regular G League players to serve as mentors. The pay is much better than the G League. Scott Henderson signed a two-year after his junior year in high school for a cool million. Basically, G League Ignite is designed to get these kids ready for the NBA draft and to get them lots of exposure. That's why you get the exhibitions against international teams like Wembanyama's French team.

Overtime Elite is a competing league. It is not run by the NBA. They pay the kids six figure salaries and have a number of teams. I've heard that there is yet another league in the works, but I don't know anything about it.

I think this is great. I've never been a fan of college basketball monopoly. If someone wants to skip college and can make $100k a year or more playing basketball, they should be able to do it.

Now players can get NCAA exposure and make $100k a year.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:
Mavs have Hardaway at 17M, Bertans at 17M, Bullock at 10M, Kleber at 11M, McGee at 5.7M. What on earth are they doing lol.

They been trying to move like 3-4 of those guys. But most those guys got overpaid because they were going to lose them for nothing. The funny thing is when they traded for Kyrie they traded the wrong guys.

And that is what many here want the Lakers to do, keep salaries instead of losing them for nothing. They can be trade bait, until they can’t. Players still need to have some on court value.

Except it worked since Lakers were able to trade an expiring Westbrook, Pat Bev, Nunn, and Thomas Bryant for value.

Clearly, Pelinka is capable of creating trade value with expiring salaries.

It can work if the player(s) have on court value. Westbrook has that, I think that Beasley does too but I’m not convinced about Rui and Bamba.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Ok, Vas! Can we see an actual numbers for next season contracts, assuming everybody stays (one with and one without Mo Bamba, sub a min salary big; maybe another one without Mo/Beasley and get a Naz Reid or C.Wood?))

Here’s a hypothetical cap sheet under the new Upper Limit Apron from the Cap Q&A thread:

Quote:
1. Bron 47.6m
2. AD 40.6m
3. DLo 25m (via full bird for up to a 5yr deal)
4. Beas 16.5m (via team option)
5. Reaves 11.9m (via early bird max for up to a 4yr deal)
6. Mo 10.3m (via not waiving his nonguaranteed deal)
7. Rui 10m (via full bird for up to a 5yr deal)
8. tpMLE player 6.1m (Schro?? majority of MLE used for up to a 3yr deal)
9. Vando 4.7m
10. MaxC 1.7m
11. 2023 1st pick swap ~3m
12. 2023 2nd 1.1m* (minority of MLE used for up to a 3yr deal)
13. Vet min (Gabriel??) 2.1m
14. Vet min (TBJr??) 2.1m

*rookie min counts as 2.1m (2yr seasoned vet min) towards cap apron math

= 182.7m in team salary
= 18.7m above 165m tax line
= 1.2m breach of 2nd apron of 182.5m; meaning that 6.1m portion of the tpMLE used on Schro (or whomever) needs to be cut down by at least 1.2m to 4.9m or our other retained FAs need to take a haircut off their deals

@AH: I assume the new trade exemptions for lower/mid spending teams are going to be similar to the current favorable trade conditions that only non-tax paying teams can utilize:

175% + 100k for outgoing salary up to 6.5m amount
5m + outgoing salary for outgoing 6.6m to 19.5m amount
125% + 100k for outgoing 19.6m+ amount

Currently all trades for tax payer teams are the last condition above of 125% + 100k of the outgoing salary amount. So there would be an arbitrary team salary amount that would be met for lower/mid spenders to have those favorable trade conditions/exemptions apply.

Note: It’s determined if you are a tax payer or not depending on the team salary post trade.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:12 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Megaton wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
nomoreshaq wrote:

Except it worked since Lakers were able to trade an expiring Westbrook, Pat Bev, Nunn, and Thomas Bryant for value.

Clearly, Pelinka is capable of creating trade value with expiring salaries.

It can work if the player(s) have on court value. Westbrook has that, I think that Beasley does too but I’m not convinced about Rui and Bamba.

April fools -- good one. Almost had me
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
governator wrote:
Ok, Vas! Can we see an actual numbers for next season contracts, assuming everybody stays (one with and one without Mo Bamba, sub a min salary big; maybe another one without Mo/Beasley and get a Naz Reid or C.Wood?))

Here’s a hypothetical cap sheet under the new Upper Limit Apron from the Cap Q&A thread:

Quote:
1. Bron 47.6m
2. AD 40.6m
9. Vando 4.7m
10. MaxC 1.7m

= 182.7m in team salary
= 1.2m breach of 2nd apron of 182.5m; meaning that 6.1m portion of the tpMLE used on Schro (or whomever) needs to be cut down by at least 1.2m to 4.9m or our other retained FAs need to take a haircut off their deals

@AH: I assume the new trade exemptions for lower/mid spending teams are going to be similar to the current favorable trade conditions that only non-tax paying teams can utilize:

Currently all trades for tax payer teams are the last condition above of 125% + 100k of the outgoing salary amount. So there would be an arbitrary team salary amount that would be met for lower/mid spenders to have those favorable trade conditions/exemptions apply.

Note: It’s determined if you are a tax payer or not depending on the team salary post trade.

Beas for 16.5 bench player with Reaves and Christie on the roster doesn't make much sense. I know Beas has a quick release, but I would rather have Christie and his defense,=.

Tough letting go Rui and Bamba considering that gave up 6 2nd rounders for both

Last edited by hydrohead on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:

The Lakers received one second round pick for Bamba.

Last edited by 32 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:54 am; edited 2 times in total
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

<snip>

C'mon, the man has a point, a $2.7m vet-min has value!
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
governator wrote:

Quote:
1. Bron 47.6m
2. AD 40.6m
9. Vando 4.7m
10. MaxC 1.7m

= 182.7m in team salary

Beas for 16.5 bench player with Reaves and Christie on the roster doesn't make much sense. I know Beas has a quick release, but I would rather have Christie and his defense,=.

Best thing would be they decline his option and reconstruct a longer deal with lower salary. Maybe something like 3 for 24/27m
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

Because of their needs and Rob trying to get Bamba for 2 years now….I think he stays by either guaranteeing the $10.6 or resigning him for say 3 years $15 million.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
hydrohead wrote:

The Lakers sent a 2nd Rd pick. Not receive
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
governator wrote:

Quote:
1. Bron 47.6m
2. AD 40.6m
9. Vando 4.7m
10. MaxC 1.7m

= 182.7m in team salary

Easiest and most glaringly obvious option would be the for the Lakers to not pick up MB’s 16.5 contract and either let him walk or try to get him back for cheaper. Unless he becomes a major contributor in a good playoff run, I don’t see the Lakers being very eager to pay full freight for him.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject:

It seems Pelinka also got a big steal getting THREE 2nd round picks for Thomas Bryant. Since he does nothing now.

An actual genius move to get that kinda haul for an expiring player we had no bird rights too.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject:

We could try and draft a player like Sensabaugh instead of paying Beasley 16 million.

I can't deny he's a good three point shooter... we've had other 40% shooters who never got off their shot.

But he's just lame in all other aspects of the game.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:46 am    Post subject:

Once again, please STOP making personal comments about other posters. No personal insults. No taunting. You've all been here long enough to know that. Right now I'm deleting posts. Next stop -- banned.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
We could try and draft a player like Sensabaugh instead of paying Beasley 16 million.

I can't deny he's a good three point shooter... we've had other 40% shooters who never got off their shot.

Would most preferably like to trade Beasley or Beasley + ______ + Pick for a nice upgrade but realistically, let Beas walk, give Max his minutes next season, bring back D'lo/Austin/Rui/Bamba who we are all in control of.

I have no idea what Dennis and Troy want (obv) but most likely we can't pay it unless we're giving the MLE or splitting it up - but that also means we're not bring anybody new on with MLE.

This summer is where wee'll wish Ballmer owned the Lakers.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Would most preferably like to trade Beasley or Beasley + ______ + Pick for a nice upgrade but realistically, let Beas walk, give Max his minutes next season, bring back D'lo/Austin/Rui/Bamba who we are all in control of.

I have no idea what Dennis and Troy want (obv) but most likely we can't pay it unless we're giving the MLE or splitting it up - but that also means we're not bring anybody new on with MLE.

This summer is where wee'll wish Ballmer owned the Lakers.

The only thing I can think of that would make trading Beasley plus a pick worth it, would be for a position of need like a Center, and someone worthy of such a trade. If it was someone of the level of Myles Turner? Yeah that works for me. But otherwise, you just keep the pick because you can get a good rookie with a pick that’s near lottery with this scouting department. And we would have that rookie on a cheap rookie contract for at least 4 years. That’s valuable. Lakers already made this big mistake with trading that pick that would have been used for Desmond Bane and Green for Schroder. Don’t need to repeat history there.

Really, I would just seek a trade of Beasley for a 2nd round pick. Have a team that’s seeking help with shooting, especially at the guard position, and go from there. If there is truly no trade market for him? Then yeah, let him go. Because obviously he is not worth $16 mill.
andree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
governator wrote:

Quote:
1. Bron 47.6m
2. AD 40.6m
9. Vando 4.7m
10. MaxC 1.7m

= 182.7m in team salary

Maybe I am missing something, but with your calculations Lakers will breach with 0,2m (not 1.2m) the 2nd apron of 182.5m.

The best solution would be for Beasley and Bamba to renounce of their options and sign for less salary for more years. I believe it`s more than doable.
I would give Schröder those 6.1m in a heartbeat. And I would keep this team intact. The roster is balanced and has enough depth. I would love to see what this roster can do with a proper training camp and a season to gel.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

That's possible, but I expect that there is a lot more in play than just an expansion of trade exceptions for low and medium payroll teams. In fact, I never heard anyone calling for this sort of change. Seriously, what's the purpose?

I doubt that the owners would have made an implicit threat of a lockout over any of the small potatoes stuff that has leaked out so far. I expect that the real battleground was the treatment of the expected new media rights deal. We may see a variety of changes to the structure of the CBA. We can only speculate until the parties work out the term sheet and more details emerge.

The information we got last night appears to be a controlled leak by the NBA/NBPA. It appears that the insiders all got the same information, possibly verbatim. Those "details" are a nothing burger. I will be surprised if the full terms of the agreement are not much more significant. But again, we can only speculate.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:19 pm    Post subject:

This website says the Lakers received Bamba and a second round pick in a four-way trade. They gave up no draft picks in that trade.

https://www.nba.com/news/magic-trade-mo-bamba-lakers
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Best thing would be they decline his option and reconstruct a longer deal with lower salary. Maybe something like 3 for 24/27m

This raises a question that we just can't answer: What is Beasley's value on the open market? If we decline the option, and someone else signs him for more than we're offering, we won't be able to replace him. Whatever you think of him as a player, that's a problem.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
This website says the Lakers received Bamba and a second round pick in a four-way trade. They gave up no draft picks in that trade.

https://www.nba.com/news/magic-trade-mo-bamba-lakers

The original Thomas Bryant deal got rolled into a four-way trade. This was the original deal:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35623232/sources-lakers-trading-center-thomas-bryant-nuggets
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

This raises a question that we just can't answer: What is Beasley's value on the open market? If we decline the option, and someone else signs him for more than we're offering, we won't be able to replace him. Whatever you think of him as a player, that's a problem.

I am thinking 9-10 mil. KCP got 13 but he plays defense. Beasley is better than walker because no team will leave him open as their game plan.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1403, 1404, 1405 ... 2543, 2544, 2545  Next
Page 1404 of 2545
Jump to: