Analyzing the AD deal 4 years later
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 10:42 pm    Post subject:

So glad we made the AD trade.
πŸ’œπŸ’› πŸ† πŸ‘€ πŸ– #18!!!

Last edited by epic_ on Sat May 13, 2023 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
I admire your tenacity to defend a defenseless position regardless of how futile it is.

I also admire your determination to get the last word in no matter how asinine it is...reminds me a lot of my ex-wife.πŸ€™πŸ½

Sounds like you admire your ex-wife.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 11:01 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
I admire your tenacity to defend a defenseless position regardless of how futile it is.

I also admire your determination to get the last word in no matter how asinine it is...reminds me a lot of my ex-wife.πŸ€™πŸ½

As I said I'm ready to quit when you guys are.

Let the thread fall off the front page and I won't be the one to bump it.

We will never quit. This is the tandene thread.

The last one alive wins.

And whoever the last survivor is, their opinion will be embraced throughout the lands through all eternity.

And thus, I commit to bumping this thread until my last gasp of life
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 11:13 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

The last one alive wins.

And whoever the last survivor is, their opinion will be embraced throughout the lands through all eternity.

Then stop forcing BILBJH to post in this thread, because clearly you're making him do so.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

The last one alive wins.

Then stop forcing BILBJH to post in this thread, because clearly you're making him do so.

According to this thread, the source of all good in the universe comes from the day we traded for AD.

I'm glad we have AD... just hope we never overspend like that again.

The thread will be bumped after every win... after every series win... and hopefully after we win a title.
Aike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:32 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

The last one alive wins.

According to this thread, the source of all good in the universe comes from the day we traded for AD.

The thread will be bumped after every win... after every series win... and hopefully after we win a title.

Maybe we spent as much as we needed to, with confidence that it was worth it to land a generational talent, and that we would continue to be able to make moves to contend for years to come. In retrospect, Pelinka had the calculus right, even if he’s had to make a few erasures and corrections between then and now (RW).
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:51 am    Post subject:

Agree. AD is a once in a generation talent. He's in the Giannis, Luka, Jokic tier when healthy. I think there is little debate, considering the Lakers success this season. The Pels just flubbed the numerous assets they were given. Their incompetence in trading away #4 (Garland) and Hart for lesser talent just made Rob look better. In that sense, he won the trade. He might as well have just traded BI and some picks, because that's essentially what the Pels have left now.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:56 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
So BILBJH wants us all to be able to disagree with each other without smearing. As long as you don't bring up something he doesn't agree with.

Sounds like NIMBY hahaha

Lock this thread up
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

At this point, people are just having fun tweaking your nose for all the, "I just want the right to express my opinion, while stopping everyone who disagrees with me from expressing their opinion" stuff.

You are setting yourself up to be mocked for your self-importance and your rigid intolerance for other points of views.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

At this point, people are just having fun tweaking your nose for all the, "I just want the right to express my opinion, while stopping everyone who disagrees with me from expressing their opinion" stuff.

You are setting yourself up to be mocked for your self-importance and your rigid intolerance for other points of views.

There's a couple newer posters who really enjoy standing on their proverbial f'en soapbox.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

There's a couple newer posters who really enjoy standing on their proverbial f'en soapbox.

Soooo...the new posters and a soapbox are the problem?

#BannersOverBillboards
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Lol. Get off my lawn!
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 1:43 am    Post subject:

We won and they aint getting Wemby
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

I think it's more a case of I-want-the-last-word-itis.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:

Given his injury history, the prime question will be how long his body holds up. Whatever team drafts him must take into account that 7 footers have a short shelf life in the NBA and that all it takes is one wrong landing. For that reason, I'd be more comfortable with drafting Scoot Henderson or Brandon Miller, but that's just me. I do think teams are overrating the hell out of him, as well, so there's that. I think he'll be at or above Porzingis' level.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
. Whatever team drafts him must take into account that 7 footers have a short shelf life in the NBA and that all it takes is one wrong landing. .

It's definitely a mixed bag. There have been a lot of notable bigs who had their careers cut short by injuries. But there have been a number of guys 7'2" and taller who had lengthy careers -- Kareem, Ε½ydrΕ«nas Ilgauskas, Mark Eaton.

The research that has looked at this topic has had very mixed results -- some studies have found a correlation between injuries and height or weight; some studies have not.

It probably seems like tall players get injured more, because the much-injured bigs get a lot of press attention, but it's not clear if that perception is accurate. Plenty of small players get injured, as well; for whatever reason, that doesn't get as much attention or scrutiny.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

I think it's more a case of I-want-the-last-word-itis.

Well...I'd never vote against you.🀣

#BannersOverBillboards
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:29 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
giordan0 wrote:

Given his injury history, the prime question will be how long his body holds up. Whatever team drafts him must take into account that 7 footers have a short shelf life in the NBA and that all it takes is one wrong landing. For that reason, I'd be more comfortable with drafting Scoot Henderson or Brandon Miller, but that's just me. I do think teams are overrating the hell out of him, as well, so there's that. I think he'll be at or above Porzingis' level.

He doesn't have much of an injury history. He had a stress fracture which was semi serious ... 2 years a ago, and a fractured finger. He's worth the risk.

He's also better now than Scoot Henderson and has a much higher ceiling. So that gap will probably just widen. You tank for the draft for the opportunity to grab a generational talent. All the other talents are touch and go but you don't go there just for any old star. So you take the risk because Scoot doesn't give you the opportunity to dominate the league, but Victor does. And sure, Stephen A said that Barrett might have been the safe choice in hindsight with Zion's injury issues and Ja's brain issues, but Barrett isn't winning you a chip.

Also Shaq was a 7 footer
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 5:53 am    Post subject:

I think we can win a 2nd championship and certain folks would still not be satisfied.

For me, getting that championship, and then getting Reaves (who I think would be a lottery pick in a redraft of the 2021 draft) makes this even better.

Plus, we can now add a WCF appearance to the list (and hopefully more this season).

So:

2020: champions
2021: 1st round
2022:
2023: WCF (and counting)

Not a bad ROI.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

The last one alive wins.

We were in the lottery the prior year.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

The last one alive wins.

??

Warriors were in the lottery, traded their pick then won a championship. Not sure what your point is?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject:

The Warriors were a different situation. Their core had just made a few trips to finals, one missed playoff, and one play-in exit while they had a musical chairs of season ending injuries going around. Klay came back from his multiple injuries, Steph stayed healthy, they made a few good moves regarding role players and won another title with the same core that had been going to the finals previously.

The Lakers lottery core never made the playoffs. The first season of LeBron Lakers was on track to possibly be a 6-8 seed before LeBron suffered a season ending injury but they never got a chance to prove it.

The AD trade was great imo, but the Westbrook trade really hurt us. Lonzo has had terrible luck with his knees since the trade. BI has been good, but we got AD.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
Halflife wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

The last one alive wins.

??

Warriors were in the lottery, traded their pick then won a championship. Not sure what your point is?

It means we didn’t overspend.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

It means we didn’t overspend.

Ohhhhhhh. Yeah definitely. The only player we really miss is Ingram, Lonzo looks like an injury bust due to overwork prior to the NBA, Hart looks like a role player you can get on a cheapish contract, Randle is a headcase. Might have given up one or two too many picks but picks are always a gamble in any season you don't have outstanding talents.
WorthyNum1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:49 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

All I said is that we spent too much.

We've corrected the problem so I'm content moving forward.

You know, these two statements you make are contradictory.

If we spent too much to acquire AD, then we should nave no depth left.

Yet somehow we have the depth to "corrected the problem", by getting DLo, Beasley, Vanderbilt, etc.

In other words, your 2nd statement soundly refutes your first statement
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 20 of 28
Jump to: