NUGGETS -at- LAKERS - 5-22-23 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:08 pm    Post subject: NUGGETS -at- LAKERS - 5-22-23 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Season Over... The Lakers changed up the starting lineup, finally adding Rui into the mix and sending Russell to the bench. With that, they were off with some intention on using their size in the paint.

LeBron attacked the paint relentlessly early on. He’d score 31 on his way to a 73-58 halftime lead.

The Nuggets buckled down in the third quarter. With the Lakers missing easy ones and turning the ball over, the Nuggets caught them midway through the third. The lead was gone quickly.

After losing the lead, Ham called another timeout with 4 minutes left. They got the ball to LeBron in the post for the first time in the third and good things happened. They’d lose that third quarter badly not getting the same flow in the offense..

A 36-16 third quarter for the Nuggets to retake the lead by 5 heading into the fourth. The Lakers shot 7-24 in the quarter, missing at least five chippies.

They’d keep that two possession difference throughout the quarter. Austin Reaves would cut it to 2 with a big three with 2:29 left. This was their first and only made three in the second half.

The Nuggets have done a great job closing the Lakers in tight games. Throughout the series, they were able to keep the Lakers from getting over on them in the final minutes. Part of this is their skilled players, but the continuity with their roster and their sets also is just as big. They’ve been able to run multiple plays that they’ve run a hundred times over.

Meanwhile, the Lakers are searching for that continuity. It would come back to bite them once again in the final minute. The Lakers buckled down with some great defensive stands to give them a chance.

With half a minute left, Bron sucked the air out of the ball and we ended up with 3 on the clock with the ball out of bounds. After a timeout, we got the ball to him and we couldn’t get a clean look. After another stop and timeout with 4 seconds left, the Lakers ran a play that has worked multiple times to get Bron downhill and in the paint.

He attacked, ran into a crowd and couldn’t get a clean shot up. Season over. Lakers fell 113-111.

Honestly, the difference in this game came down to Jokic hitting one of those ridiculous, unguardable stepback chucks that he slings over his head and in for three. AD was on top of him. It’s not a lucky shot, but it’s certainly a crazy, high difficulty one to get to fall for you with under 3 minutes left.

Give the Lakers credit for turning the season around and getting to the Western Conference Finals. If this roster had a full training camp and season together, who knows how much that continuity would have made a difference in this series? I think quite a bit despite their flaws..

Regardless, they were able to get a good deep playoff run in and really see what they have with this roster. That’s huge. They won’t bring everyone back, but even if they did, they will have a strong roster with some assets they can use to add to it.

“I think we have an opportunity to do something special,” Ham said of the team that has been put together.

LeBron -- -- He played all 48. He got shots up early at the arena while the NBA was going through planning for trophy ceremony stuff. He said he noted that. Bron dropped 31 points in the first half (21 of those in the first). He was attacking the paint relentlessly. We’ve been letting Jokic get away with sitting in deep drop coverage. It’s been driving me a bit crazy. Today, Bron made a much more concerted effort to get downhill into the paint against Jokic and score. He’d finish the night with 40 points and really showed some feisty D at times defensively. We put him on Murray late to switch with the screens and that slowed the Nuggets down. He needed a little more help from the guard spot offensively in this series. I think exhaustion got to him mentally late in some of these games. That resulted in some poor decision making. We scored just 38 points in the second half and that seemed directly related to Bron not being the same tip of the spear offensively as he was early on. Really, though, step back and realize he just dropped 40 on a hurt wheel and helped take this team to the WCF. Bron of young would have got them over the top, but 38-year-old Bron is a damn good baller and scary to go up again. I’m sure we’ll go back to a season full of haters saying Bron is just looking to set his personal scoring record like we heard all season. He took us to the WCF, played all 48 and delivered a 40-10-9 game. The Stats: He scored 40 points on 15-25 shooting (4-7 from three, 6-7 from the line) to go with 10 boards, 9 assists, 2 steals, 1 turnover and 1 foul in 48 minutes. He was a -2.

Davis -- -- Quiet first half offensively. He was able to get to the line, especially to close out the first half. The Nuggets were losing their minds a bit on the Lakers drawing FTs to close the first half. His touch wasn’t quite there this game as he missed some floaters and finishes at the rim that he normally makes. I don’t know how his injuries are impacting him, but they might have come to play there. Defensively, he had some great moments, but also had some moments where I wish he would have been sharper (giving up an And-1 to KCP at the rim when he was right there; fouling Murray on a three; letting Gordon hit an uncontested three on the strong side of the D when you should be challenging, for example). I don’t know if he can do it, but I really want him to get his outside shot back and better than ever. If Brook Lopez can turn himself into a floor spacer, AD can. That would make a massive difference for this team. Massive. Hopefully, he can get healthy and get in the lab this offseason. The Stats: He scored 21 points on 6-15 shooting (9-10 shooting) to go with 14 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal, 3 blocks, 1 turnover and 4 fouls in 40 minutes. He was a -6. .

Reaves -- -- Dependable to the end. Give him a screen and he’s going to cause problems for a defense. Teams have been scouting him. They’ve been trying to stop him, but he is very good at taking what the D gives him without needing crazy athleticism. I’ll be curious to see where he improves in the offseason. He made leaps this year by putting in hard work. He’ll make leaps having gone through these playoff. Tonight, a lot of work to get into the paint for some midrange pull-ups. I wish he could have knocked down a couple more of those easier looks he had. He should have been to the line more than just the 4 he got in this one. I think he’ll start getting more respect from refs as they are more familiar with his game. He just knows how to draw contact, always has. Defensively, he had to take on Murray for a stretch when Dennis picked up fouls. He held ground there. Some battles under the paint on switches. Tough situations when the D calls for him to switch on Gordon cutting. He’d finish tonight with 17 points and 3 assists in 40 minutes. That was about his playoff average. He’d finish the playoffs averaging 16.9 points and 4.6 assists, shooting 44% from three. And you know he’s going to get better. “I was just in the western Conference Finals. If you told me that when I was 15 years old I’d have looked at you like I’d seen a ghost.” Hard work can get you places. The Stats: He scored 17 points on 6-11 shooting (1-2 from three, 4-4 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 3 assists, 1 turnover and 4 fouls in 40 minutes. He was a -4.

Hachimura -- -- He finally got the start in the fourth game of the series. With Rui in the starters, you have a smaller Nugget on one of Rui or Bron unless they change their lineup. That extra size was causing problems for the Nuggets. They were sending help and that would leave open a guy like Schröder who made them pay with the open threes. For his part, Rui had 10 points on 3-8 shooting in the first half. He attacked off the three line multiple times to get into the paint for scores or fouls. Second half, he picked the wrong time to go cold. He choked a couple of layups he should have had and is normally reliable on. He missed all three of his threes in this one. We needed one of those to go. We were more competitive with him in the starting lineup. Wish that change was made from the start. Hopefully, he’s back. He gives us some nice flexibility in the roster. I think he’ll be happy having gone from Wizard obscurity to the WCF starting with the Lakers. I would love for Handy to also have an offseason with him. The Stats: He scored 10 points on 3-12 shooting (0-3 from three, 4-4 from the line) to go with 7 boards and 3 fouls in 41 minutes. He was a +1.

Schröder -- -- He picked up three fouls with a lot of time left in the second quarter, but talked the coaches into keeping him out there against Murray. Good job by Dennis holding the line and then Reaves took over on Murray while we slid Dennis over to KCP defensively. Fourth foul avoided in the half. He also hit three threes in the first half. These plays were a result of the D collapsing to help on our size and he got some good looks. He missed some easy ones in the second half. We had too many guys doing that in the second half. I don’t know what the future holds for him. We are limited in what we can do to retain him. He will follow the dollar, no doubt, because he lost quite a bit of money last time here. He fits with this team and this coach. He obviously has limitations. There was a stretch midway through the fourth where Bron looked like he was taking some possessions off offensively to rest and play as a decoy a bit while on the floor. Dennis couldn’t execute well enough. All season, he’s helped the team when they needed a lift in those fourth quarters. Just not explosive in this fourth quarter. I’m hopeful that allows us to bring him back as his defensive intensity is much needed on this team. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 5-13 shooting (3-6 from three to go with 2 boards, 5 assists, 2 steals, 1 turnover and 3 fouls in 38 minutes. He was a -3.

Russell -- -- Adjustments had to be made. Russell/Vando went to the bench as the Lakers started Rui/Schroder. Size, floor spacing and some better guard D with those changes. Vando wasn’t getting anything done defensively and even less on O. Russell, the same. After all those negative +/- stats in this series and how every lineup couldn’t hold up when he was on it, tonight he had the +6. We limited his exposure and got better results. I really thought we were going to do this in the second half of the last one, but nope. He had a couple scores in this one. On one he shortened a dribble to go under Jokic’s reach and then hit a floater. He snaked a screen in the second half and hit a pull-up from the elbow with 10 minutes to go. In the first half, he set up Bron attacking baseline and finding him in the corner for a three (that particular baseline penetration, we did not get enough of this series). He also got middle and hit Bron for a wing three. On an ATO in the fourth, he threw a pass out of bounds. We didn’t have a lot of turnovers in this game, but anything in the fourth was especially painful. You don’t want to end the playoffs with a series where you fizzle out, but that’s what happened. That will leave a lasting impression come free agency. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-4 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 2 boards, 2 assists, 1 block, 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 15 minutes. He was a +6.

Walker IV -- -- Lonnie couldn’t follow up his Warriors series with a productive Nuggets one. He scored on a probe in the lane against Gordon for his only hoop. He missed a three. He had one of those fourth quarter turnovers, stepping on the sideline. Painful. I’ll be curious to see what happens with him in the offseason. We’ve got Max Christie waiting in the wings. Lonnie worked his way back in the rotation over Beasley. There’s no way we keep Beasley unless we want his contract for trade fodder. Reaves balling also makes it tough for Lonnie to find minutes. I think we signed him to a reasonable enough amount and can give a small raise on that this offseason. That will likely be a competitive offer. But his time on the bench will certainly have him looking at all options despite getting back into the mix in the last 10 games of the season. The Stats: He scored 2 points on 1-2 shooting (0-1 from three) to go with 1 turnover and 2 fouls in 7 minutes. He was a -7.

Thompson -- -- With Rui starting and no Vando in the mix, we threw TT in as the backup big. He did amazingly well. He started the second quarter. Bron playing safety in the paint behind TT led to a breakaway steal where he hit Thompson filling the lane for a dunk. He started the fourth quarter and gave the team some spark. First play, they run a two-man game and he got an And-1 dunk off it. We are in the fourth quarter of the WCF and drawing up stuff we’ve never run. We did great with it, but if you step back that just says a lot about how this team was really learning together on the fly in the playoffs. His screens in this game were rock solid and forcing switches or allowing the Lakers to get free. That made a big difference in their minutes. Honestly, this game alone probably gets him a legit shot on the roster next season. I definitely like having one of those player vets on the deep bench. No Bamba even though he was finally made available. We got really good looks at everyone on the roster but him. The team has an option. I think they maybe see if they can negotiate something cheaper. The Stats: He scored 4 points on 2-4 shooting (0-1 from the line) to go with 1 board and no fouls in 10 minutes. He was a +0.

Ham -- -- Key Moment: The Lakers got destroyed in that third quarter 36-16. I hate that possession we wasted when Bron walked the ball up in the final minute. We stagnated the offense, let the defense lock in, ran clock down and got a horrible possession as a result. Frankly, we would have been much better running that last play of the game (which the Lakers added to their mix this playoffs, but went away from it in this series). If it wasn’t the last shot of the game, the Nuggets would have defended it different. Even so, we had some open options on that play as the D converged. Run that a player sooner and we get a good possession versus the really difficult situations we found ourselves in the close. Ham was annoyed with the contact and no whistle on that final play.

Key Substitution: Glad to see Ham finally pulled Russell and Vando out of the starting roster. We should have started Rui this series. And we should have switched things up with Russell early in the series, too.

Key Stats: Just 38 points in the second half after scoring 73 in the first half. We scored more in the second quarter than we did all second half. Ugly offense. The team didn’t hit a three in the second half, but that was the law of averages coming to play as we finished 40% from three on 8-20 shooting. Just executed poorly in the second half and didn’t run through Bron in the paint or post until the lead was gone.

Mrs. DB and Family -- -- Thanks to the fam for letting me hijack the TV to cover the team. This season started off horribly. It was not fun with how the roster was constructed. Thanks for putting up with it all. Hopefully, I didn’t gripe too much.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject:

1st…thanks DB. Fitting that the Lakers lost the same way the season played out… bad 3rd qtr and inability to close games.

Also, all players from WB trade were ineffective. Vandi/Beasley DNPs CD and Dlo 14 minutes. Production came from players that had been here all year AD/LBJ/AR/Schro

Given a training camp this team may compete but an upgrade would certainly help. Dlo/Beasley/Vandi + 17th should provide the upgrade needed to get over the hump. I just hope whatever is done is done before training camp otherwise just commit to them for the season to build continuity.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Mon May 22, 2023 9:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB on another season of flawless recaps!
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB, for all you do.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Disappointing close to the season, but through all the ups and downs reading your summaries never disappointed
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! And thanks to your family as well!!

I'm still optimistic for what next season could bring, but we've plenty of summer to enjoy between now and then!
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Always reliable.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB for working hard all season through all the ups and downs and frustration, it's much appreciated!

In retrospect, it's perfectly OK we lost in this round to the Nuggets. They're the next world championship team, and it was just too soon and not soon enough for us after all the trades. But I'm disappointed and dismayed that we got swept.

It's not a good look, but if LeBron is healthy and sticks around, we should have a good shot at a chip next season.
michaelg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject:

DB you’re the GOAT of recaps. Thank you.

Lebron was (bleep) inspirational in the first half! He and the team really gave us some great moments this season. What a run, they really competed all year.

You have to give it to the Nugs. Good luck to them, it seems like it’s their time.

Here’s to a relaxing, fulfilling summer to all. Rob and Jeanie have some work to do, best to them.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject:

DB:

Thank you for once again doing a great job and continuing the tradition of in depth and informative recaps.

Hell of a season. Not the story book ending, but I am...content? [if that makes any sense]...with it as a fan. Certainly not disappointed. The FO made them competitive and we got to hitch a ride for some post season fun. Western Conference Finals is pretty damn good considering how bad the season went at times.

Tip of the hat to the Nuggets. When they got KCP I was like "uh oh"...that starting lineup is a tough nut to crack. Lakers actually hung with them for the most part.

One thing I kept saying over and over with recaps as the season went on was my concern over the Lakers having a lack of another reliable big to play with or behind AD. I really hope that gets fixed this offseason. There's also the question of d'lo...when he is playing even just average he provides alot. Not so much this series.

Offseason will be interesting. Would prefer they let AD going back to being a 4.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:14 am    Post subject:

DB you're the best.

We'll get them all next year. I'm not disappointed. We got more out of this team than I had hoped.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:57 am    Post subject:

Thanks for hanging in there for another season, DB!
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 2:57 am    Post subject:

Hats off to you and family, DB, thank you for another year of superlative recaps.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:09 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:52 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Thanks DB! Disappointing close to the season, but through all the ups and downs reading your summaries never disappointed

+1
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:49 am    Post subject:

Thanks for all you do DB!

The Road to #18 begins TODAY!!
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:56 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB

LeBron deferred to the team in the 3rd and they laid an egg. Brutal way to end the season, but I have to remind myself that at one point we were 2-10, Pelicans were the 1st seed, and we were given a 0.3% chance to even make the playoffs.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:09 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB for another season of excellent, comprehensive write-ups! I appreciate it!
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:21 am    Post subject:

BigE32 wrote:
Thanks DB for another season of excellent, comprehensive write-ups! I appreciate it!

+1

Too bad the couldn't even get one. All the leads and opportunities notwithstanding, the Nuggets were simply too good.
richsmith
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:29 am    Post subject:

Thanks again DB for all your coverage, especially during the Westbrook era, when it was less painful and just as illuminating to just read your write-ups rather than having to suffer through the games themselves.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB. Excellent job as always.

Nuggets were too tall and too athletic for the Lakers this year. Played like a team that had been together all years and knew what to do when the game was on the line. Congrats.

Excellent run by the Lakers given how late the team was put together. I hope the FO doesn't blow it all up and over compensate as they have in previous years. This team needs time to gell.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Thanks DB

LeBron deferred to the team in the 3rd and they laid an egg. Brutal way to end the season, but I have to remind myself that at one point we were 2-10, Pelicans were the 1st seed, and we were given a 0.3% chance to even make the playoffs.

I agree … the team let LBJ down with gagged 3rd quarter

Thx DB ….
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject:

richsmith wrote:
Thanks again DB for all your coverage, especially during the Westbrook era, when it was less painful and just as illuminating to just read your write-ups rather than having to suffer through the games themselves.

It's difficult to make things interesting when you have the same issues over and over. The format at least allows me to go into individual player stuff, so I can write a bit about things like Reaves needing to be more aggressive early in the season when he wasn't, etc.
LFsnz67
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:34 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

What a great season this ended up being! Who would have guessed it would have ended in the western conference finals
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:43 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

We finally have some great momentum. Just a couple of flaws in addition to simply running out of gas since we were playing catch up since February.

If we play this correctly with our personnel evaluation and roster build, we will be right back to WCF and the major threat to a Denver, GS or whoever takes a leap.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: