Analyzing the AD deal 4 years later
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Bad. Only one championship for all those hard earned assets. Bad.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:

Even if you aimed at discrediting AD alone, a championship is hard to get. Ask Boston. Ask Heat. Ask Nuggets. Yes, one of them will be a champion this season... but how long does it take them to get one... and may be the only one after like ten seasons later?

I think the WestBroken experiment was to blame. Too much supporting assets that could have been used to acquire another liable stars had been given up. And thus creating a mess.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject:

moonriver24 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Even if you aimed at discrediting AD alone, a championship is hard to get. Ask Boston. Ask Heat. Ask Nuggets. Yes, one of them will be a champion this season... but how long does it take them to get one... and may be the only one after like ten seasons later?

I think the WestBroken experiment was to blame. Too much supporting assets that could have been used to acquire another liable stars had been given up. And thus creating a mess.

Lakers have won 17 of them already. It's only hard if you don't know what you're doing. Lakers have an inherit advantage going into every season as well.

It's hard for Jeanie Buss. It wasn't hard for Dr. Buss.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Lakers have won 17 of them already. It's only hard if you don't know what you're doing. Lakers have an inherit advantage going into every season as well.

Different era. You won't be able to buy your way to a championship going forward like in the old days (and every team did this, Chicago Bulls had a huge salary cap on their team also).

Laker fans going forward expecting big dynasties every few years will just end up disappointed
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:14 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Different era. You won't be able to buy your way to a championship going forward like in the old days (and every team did this, Chicago Bulls had a huge salary cap on their team also).

Laker fans going forward expecting big dynasties every few years will just end up disappointed

With all the player movement each season... It will be a while before we see the next dynasty team who will 3peat. It's been 21 years already. GSW came close but they pretty much lucked out on that roster due to cap rising that year.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

This might be the most entitled take I've ever heard. It absolutely was hard even for the great Dr. Buss. It's something that everybody works their butt off for, not something that just falls in your lap because "you know what you're doing".
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

The Lakers certainly have advantages over other teams. We can spend more and recruit players easier than say, Oklahoma. That's said, I think one of the greatest dangers for the Lakers is self entitled fans who do think that winning a ring is easy and is their birthright.

Many of those previous rings were due to the luck of drafting goat level players and circumstances that no longer exist. So I think fans like you who use the showtime and 3-peat eras as the only standard of success are faited to be disappointed, cuz it's certainly possible we will never have that level of success again in your lifetime.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

This might be the most entitled take I've ever heard. It absolutely was hard even for the great Dr. Buss. It's something that everybody works their butt off for, not something that just falls in your lap because "you know what you're doing".

Actually my G, I get what he’s saying. You’re not wrong tho in that you need a ton of good fortune and circumstance to earn a title, but that’s the reason you shouldn’t make it hard on yourself in the first place.

Like making sure your franchise guy plays the position he wants. Being deep enough on the margins where you don’t have to rely on your superstars to get back from their injuries…oh and that’s also kart if the reason they get injured in the first place.

Waiting half the season to make your limited tradeable assets count and then whoops, what you gave up your assets for barely contributes to your deep playoff run…so again more burn on your superstars to make up for.

Writing up contracts to where now you’re potentially poisoning your books, so the cost gets steep and now ultimatums need to be ACknowledged.

A lot of the issues that made our title hopes harder where due to self-inflicted wounds. We definitely made it harder on ourselves.

We gave up a whole lot to put AD next to Bron and we have one deep postseason run to show for it. The best way to prove our bubble ring wasn’t fluky is to do what Miami did. They were 2 wins away from ringing up, then the following season saw both us and them get burned out early due to the quick turnaround. And then fast forward to now, where they were 1 win away from a Finals reappearance last year and now here they are again hoping to get back to the Finals again.

I applaud our WCF appearance, but that sweep indicated to me there was just too much to overcome and again our superstars just got burned out.

I like Jeanie and I would hope she has a bit of her father’s luck to make us a consistent threat at ringing up…but she made some lousy calls in constructing our bball ops, cause they keep making it much more harder than it should be.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject:

A lot of what you're saying is reasonable V. It's certainly not a stretch to say that Jerry Buss was ultimately a better owner than Jeannie or that Bill Sharma/Jerry West was a better FO than Rob Pelinka. It doesn't change though that some opinions here are highly rooted in entitlement.
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:17 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
A lot of what you're saying is reasonable V. It's certainly not a stretch to say that Jerry Buss was ultimately a better owner than Jeannie or that Bill Sharma/Jerry West was a better FO than Rob Pelinka. It doesn't change though that some opinions here are highly rooted in entitlement.

And it feels like the NBA is making it a mission of theirs to root out such entitlement and squish it like a bug
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
gng930 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

Actually my G, I get what he’s saying. You’re not wrong tho in that you need a ton of good fortune and circumstance to earn a title, but that’s the reason you shouldn’t make it hard on yourself in the first place.

Like making sure your franchise guy plays the position he wants. Being deep enough on the margins where you don’t have to rely on your superstars to get back from their injuries…oh and that’s also kart if the reason they get injured in the first place.

Waiting half the season to make your limited tradeable assets count and then whoops, what you gave up your assets for barely contributes to your deep playoff run…so again more burn on your superstars to make up for.

Writing up contracts to where now you’re potentially poisoning your books, so the cost gets steep and now ultimatums need to be ACknowledged.

A lot of the issues that made our title hopes harder where due to self-inflicted wounds. We definitely made it harder on ourselves.

We gave up a whole lot to put AD next to Bron and we have one deep postseason run to show for it. The best way to prove our bubble ring wasn’t fluky is to do what Miami did. They were 2 wins away from ringing up, then the following season saw both us and them get burned out early due to the quick turnaround. And then fast forward to now, where they were 1 win away from a Finals reappearance last year and now here they are again hoping to get back to the Finals again.

I applaud our WCF appearance, but that sweep indicated to me there was just too much to overcome and again our superstars just got burned out.

I like Jeanie and I would hope she has a bit of her father’s luck to make us a consistent threat at ringing up…but she made some lousy calls in constructing our bball ops, cause they keep making it much more harder than it should be.

More than one thing can be true at the same time:

1. Jeanie, Rambii and Rob don’t hold a candle to Jerry Buss and Jerry West.

2. The NBA has made it much harder over the last 20 years to build a dynasty. Mostly because of the Lakers’ success from 2000-2010, the small market owners have teamed up to handicap big market teams, with each new CBA becoming less and less favorable to teams like the Lakers.

3. There are a good number of entitled Laker fans.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 9:31 pm    Post subject:

For all the pearl-clutching that happened over giving up 3 picks for AD, not enough is made of the insanity of giving up the same number of picks to let Dennis walk for nothing and then bring in/ship out Westbrick.

The problem isn’t the AD trade. It’s the subsequent moves.

Trading a pick for Dennis and then letting him walk.

Trading a pick and championship role players for Westbrick.

Letting AC walk.

Complete fails by the FO/Lebron/Klutch.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:29 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

Ridiculous take. Dr. Buss bought a team that already had Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Jamaal Wilkes, Spencer Haywood & Michael Cooper (4 HOF and Coop belongs there, too). That's like saying a guy who buys a new Ferrari is a better car designer and engineer than the guy who buys it secondhand 10 years later.

As for Sharman/West over Pelinka . . . maybe. Sharman built Showtime pre-CBA/salary cap. West extended Showtime by getting Mychal Thompson and built the 3-peat Lakers by gambling on Kobe and selling the farm for Shaq. Most importantly, neither has a Westbrook type (bleep) up on their resume.

Pelinka/Mitch? That's an interesting discussion . . .
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Interesting take aside from the really bad analogy that equates a franchise that has increased in value several-fold to a depreciating asset. All I'm going to say is that while you have some compelling points, it is hyperbole to call that take ridiculous.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 2:50 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

5 of those are from the Minneapolis prehistoric era. Just stop it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 4:09 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Interesting take aside from the really bad analogy that equates a franchise that has increased in value several-fold to a depreciating asset. All I'm going to say is that while you have some compelling points, it is hyperbole to call that take ridiculous.

This raises the question of how we rate an owner. If owners could just buy titles, then Cuban would have several and Ballmer would be winning titles now. I would rate an owner by the overall state of the organization, only part of which is the ring count. Dr. Buss transformed the Lakers into the gold standard for NBA franchises, and really for US sports franchises in general. Winning the titles was a big part of this, but it wasn't the whole picture. He made the Lakers a cultural icon, so that we are important off the court even when we aren't winning titles on the court. He hired good people, but he was also willing to be ruthless when necessary.

Dr. Buss' greatest failure, in my opinion, was his determination to make the Lakers into a long-term family asset. This is a common story for aging patriarchs. His kids are mediocre. They aren't a bunch of idiots, but they aren't at his level. But the kids wanted to follow in his footsteps, and he let them do it. Now the NBA is increasingly dominated by forward-thinking billionaires, while Jeanie is trying to replicate what her father did in the old days. There will be times when it works just due to the allure of the Lakers and the massive fan base. But it's going to become increasingly difficult with each passing year.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 5:54 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

<snip>

Pelinka/Mitch? That's an interesting discussion . . .

Not to me. By one measure it's 4-1. By another it's a higher ratio of decent/OK vs bad/abysmal moves - but on this latter one the story isn't complete as Pelinka's career isn't over so I'll wait until his career ends.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:18 am    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
gng930 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
moonriver24 wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

2. The NBA has made it much harder over the last 20 years to build a dynasty. Mostly because of the Lakers’ success from 2000-2010, the small market owners have teamed up to handicap big market teams, with each new CBA becoming less and less favorable to teams like the Lakers.

The Lakers have won 1 title in the last 13 years.

Yet we have some the fans who believe anything less than 5 titles every decade is a failure, because that's what a group of Lakers who were around before they were born accomplished.

And the funny thing is some of those fans who are angry about all the imaginary titles they think they should have gotten in the last 13 years dismiss the one real title as a lucky event we didn't deserve.

There is nothing as entitled as a Lakers fan.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:34 am    Post subject:

AD in 4 years:

Year 1: championship
Year 2: 1st round exit (injury to him and LBJ, role players wetting the bed)
Year 3: no playoffs
Year 4: WCF

Worth it, especially if you consider that we recouped a lottery level player in 2021 with Austin Reaves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

Yet we have some the fans who believe anything less than 5 titles every decade is a failure, because that's what a group of Lakers who were around before they were born accomplished.

And the funny thing is some of those fans who are angry about all the imaginary titles they think they should have gotten in the last 13 years dismiss the one real title as a lucky event we didn't deserve.

I think that's too harsh. It's not just that we've won one title in the last 13 years. It's also that we haven't even been a contender for most of those years. We can argue about what it means to be a "contender," but this year was only the second time we've made the conference finals during that stretch, and we missed the playoffs entirely seven times. Despite the title from the bubble, this has been the worst overall stretch in the entire history of the franchise in terms of competitiveness. The situation would feel very different if we were in the hunt most seasons, even if we won only the one title.

I agree with BSH that the new CBAs have made our task more difficult. But we haven't adapted well to the realities of the current era. The Warriors had a dynasty of sorts, while the Celtics have been consistently competitive. We have floundered most of the time. I hold out hope that Jeanie and the front office are learning from their errors and that we will have an intelligent plan going forward. There are more chapters to come in this story.
l4kerz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:05 am    Post subject:

AD - yes, worth it
Jeannie - great owner - got Lebron and AD - don’t forget the business side. not a billionaire and the lakers are still competitive

1 in 13 years - AD has been on the Lakers for 13 years?!!!! fail in logic. 😂

westbrick - surprised that there was even a year 2. i think lakers were just trying to use that salary to trade for someone with equal salary like lilliard and it didn’t work.
Daikatana
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject:

Quote:

2010 and 2020?? That's 2
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject:

Daikatana wrote:
Quote:

2010 and 2020?? That's 2

That's technically true, but we're talking about the last 13 seasons. The first of those seasons was 2011.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

I think that's too harsh. It's not just that we've won one title in the last 13 years. It's also that we haven't even been a contender for most of those years. We can argue about what it means to be a "contender," but this year was only the second time we've made the conference finals during that stretch, and we missed the playoffs entirely seven times. Despite the title from the bubble, this has been the worst overall stretch in the entire history of the franchise in terms of competitiveness. The situation would feel very different if we were in the hunt most seasons, even if we won only the one title.

I agree with BSH that the new CBAs have made our task more difficult. But we haven't adapted well to the realities of the current era. The Warriors had a dynasty of sorts, while the Celtics have been consistently competitive. We have floundered most of the time. I hold out hope that Jeanie and the front office are learning from their errors and that we will have an intelligent plan going forward. There are more chapters to come in this story.

Agreed. We keep using outdated roster building, i.e. just trading away picks and young players for quick fixes. Granted, in 2020 that worked. But look at the top teams left for the most part:

Nuggets: Jokic/Murray/MPJ home grown draft picks.
Celtics: Tatum/Brown, role pieces like Smart/RWill home grown.

You are correct to say that the lull between 2010 and 2020, we were really not a competitive team at all, despite #7/2/2 draft picks in succession, none of those players really stayed (except DLO is back but for how long)?
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 9:32 am    Post subject:

If they didn't cash in their young assets for superstars they wouldn't be the Lakers. It's just inherent to them. It has been both a blessing and a curse. Be thankful we aren't the Knicks. At least their current FO has adapted. But you figure Dolan can only help himself for so long.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 21 of 28
Jump to: