🏈NFL 2023 DISCUSSION THREAD🏈
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Chris Jones post-game, when asked what he thought when he saw that the 49ers were taking the ball first in OT:

"They're crazy."

Andy Reid was much more magnanimous, as you might expect. He said that he would "never question Kyle", although he noted that their process would have had them going on defense first.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:18 pm    Post subject:

2 years ago, the Chiefs chose to let Tyreek Hill walk instead of paying him and used that $$$ elsewhere. I thought they were idiots . . . but they won back 2 back Superbowls. I guess I'm the idiot.

I wonder if WRs will become like RBs where you don't get paid after age 26 or 27.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
2 years ago, the Chiefs chose to let Tyreek Hill walk instead of paying him and used that $$$ elsewhere. I thought they were idiots . . . but they won back 2 back Superbowls. I guess I'm the idiot.

I wonder if WRs will become like RBs where you don't get paid after age 26 or 27.

I mean, it's hard to argue with their results, isn't it? And I'm right there with you. I criticized it big time. And even though their offense has been clearly worse without Tyreek, their defense has been much, much better. It doesn't matter how you win, just that you win. So yeah, how can you argue with the results? And I have no doubt that the Chiefs will improve on offense next season because Rice won't be hidden by the coaching staff for the first half of the season, and they will very likely bring in a veteran WR or an early-round WR in the draft for further help. It is worth noting that KC seems likely to lose one of Sneed or Chris Jones this offseason, as they can't franchise tag both, and it's hard to see how they can afford to franchise tag Sneed (it would cost more to franchise tag Jones because it would be the second year in a row) and also pay Jones a massive contract. But hey, I guess we've seen salary cap manipulation before, so I suppose you never know. Still, if they didn't want to get in cap hell to pay Tyreek, I doubt they will keep both Sneed and Jones. If I had to guess, I would say that they let Jones walk, but that will be an interesting one to see. Jones is heading to the Hall Of Fame one day, but I would argue that Sneed is more important to their defense, and he's younger, too.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:17 pm    Post subject:

The whole game is set up to be random - one game elimination in the playoffs, constant injuries, salary cap - but if you have a great QB, a great coach, and you draft well, you can keep your team competitive and give yourself a chance. There's a reason no team had repeated in 20 years, the league is designed that way. But Mahomes is the game changer. If they keep drafting well, they can keep losing big game players like Hill and Jones.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Wonder if the 49ers should have ran the ball on 3rd and 4 really late in regulation. Then based on the result of the play (if they didn’t get the first), try to go for it to win the game right there and keep the ball away from Mahomes. It also forces the Chiefs to burn a timeout. If you don’t go for it on 4th, the Chiefs still burn a timeout and you go up 3 with the Chiefs having 1 timeout instead of 2.

It’s risky, but so is passing it, risking an incomplete pass, and giving Mahomes 2 timeouts and almost 2 minutes. I heard Mahomes didn’t see an open receiver and could have won it in regulation.

Last edited by Steve007 on Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:42 pm    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
Here's the reason why Shanahan decided to get first possession in OT. Man did I over think much. LOL. Not sure how credible this guy is. I just googled it.

Quote:
Matt Maiocco (Threads @maiocconbcs)
@MaioccoNBCS
Coach Kyle Shanahan said the decision to take the ball at the beginning of overtime was pre-determined. If both teams were tied after one possession apiece, he wanted to be the one that got the third possession, and the sudden-death advantage.

I think that’s a worse explanation than saying his defense was tired.

What if his team doesn’t score after a first possession? Any Chiefs score wins. That’s a more likely scenario than the one he was concerned about.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:42 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
The whole game is set up to be random - one game elimination in the playoffs, constant injuries, salary cap - but if you have a great QB, a great coach, and you draft well, you can keep your team competitive and give yourself a chance. There's a reason no team had repeated in 20 years, the league is designed that way. But Mahomes is the game changer. If they keep drafting well, they can keep losing big game players like Hill and Jones.

They've really done great in the draft lately, with probably the biggest weakness being some of their early-down WR's, although Rice is looking like a big hit there, which will help going forward. Consider some of the important players they have drafted recently:

--RB Isaiah Pacheco was a 7th Round pick in 2022

--Center Creed Humphrey was a late 2nd Round pick (63rd overall) in 2021 (should have gone in the top 40 picks)

--Right guard Trey Smith was a 6th (!!!!!!) Round pick in 2021; I had him as a 2nd rounder

--Edge rusher George Karlaftis was a 2022 1st rounder (#30 overall) and he just had a 10.5 sack season as a second-year player

--LB Nick Bolton was picked 5 spots earlier than Humphrey was in 2021; talk about 2 nice hits in the late 2nd Round

--Another starting LB, Willie Gay, was the 63rd pick in the 2020 Draft

--Another LB, Leo Chenal, was a 3rd rounder in 2022 (I had him going higher) and had an excellent 76.5 PFF grade this year; in the game tonight, he forced CMC's fumble, blocked that PAT, and tackled Jennings for an 8-yard loss

--CB L'Jarius Sneed was a 4th Round pick in 2020, and now he's one of the best corners in the game

--CB Trent McDuffie was the #21 overall pick in '22 and was selected as the All-Pro slot corner this year

That's a lot of key contributors in a short period of time. I actually hadn't realized how poorly LT Donovan Smith played this year (55.5 PFF Grade), and he was only on a 1-year deal for cheap. And RT Jawaan Taylor was even worse, but they are stuck with him until at least 2025 due to how much dead money would be on his deal next year. So Mahomes still just won a Super Bowl with not only his worst WR corps of his career (by a mile), but but his worst OL too. I think I may change my next mock draft to give the Chiefs an offensive tackle at #32 instead of a WR!

Last edited by ChickenStu on Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Wonder if the 49ers should have ran the ball on 3rd and 4 really late in regulation. Then based on the result of the play (if they didn’t get the first), try to go for it to win the game right there and keep the ball away from Mahomes. It also forces the Chiefs to burn a timeout.

It’s risky, but so is passing it, risking an incomplete pass, and giving Mahomes 2 timeouts and almost 2 minutes. I heard Mahomes didn’t see an open receiver and could have won it in regulation.

Regarding the 3rd and 4 that the 49ers faced with 2 minutes to go, I had the same thought. They may not have made it (KC did a good job against the run in the game, all things considered), but yes, you force them to use a timeout and it's probably 4th and short now and maybe you can go for that. They did get the points, but yeah, I thought of the same thing. And what sucks is that the play they ran, they didn't have a good call for. Spagnuolo brought the blitz and either Shanny didn't have the right call or Purdy didn't make the right read, because they didn't even get a realistic pass off (even if it's not tipped, that pass is going nowhere).

As for Mahomes on the final pass play of regulation, it did look like Rice broke open over the middle, but I can give Mahomes a pass there because with only 10 seconds left, it was pretty clear that he was just going to throw it quickly to Kelce once he saw he was in single coverage. He probably didn't want to risk going through progressions with 10 seconds left and risking a sack, a fumble, scrambling and running more clock, etc. And Reid made a good call to just kick the FG with 6 seconds left, even though another quick play could have still given them time for the FG. The risk of something bad happening there is just not worth it, and we've seen QB's take too long and run out the clock to end a half before. And you have the better QB if OT must come.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:38 am    Post subject:

Chiefs are officially a dynasty. Although Steelers fans would insist they need 4.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Chiefs are officially a dynasty. Although Steelers fans would insist they need 4.

They are chasing the legacy of the great teams of the past. The Montana 49ers, the Aikman Cowboys, the Brady Patriots, Bradshaw's Steelers. Its obvious that they are just that much better than everyone else in the playoffs.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:57 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

There's zero evidence of this happening now. You can only do that if you are sure you have the absolute best QB in the NFL.

Look at what Tyreek Hill has done for Tua

Burrow has Jamarr Chase and there's zero chance they move him.

Cousins has Jefferson.

This is very similar to what the Pats did.

I think the only scenario that this plays out again is when another team has:

(1) a HOF TE like Gronk or Kelce and
(2) they have the best QB in the NFL at the time like Brady or Mahomes.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:46 am    Post subject:

49ers didn't know OT rules....
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39511676/49ers-players-say-know-super-bowl-rules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA -- Eagles edge rusher Haason Reddick has been granted permission to seek a trade, a league source confirmed Sunday.

Reddick, 29, signed a three-year, $45 million free agent contract with his hometown team during the 2022 offseason.

He quickly outperformed that deal, racking up 16 sacks during the 2022 regular season and 3.5 more in the postseason during Philadelphia's Super Bowl run.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39511676/49ers-players-say-know-super-bowl-rules

Saw that. Makes me wonder if Shanahan's explanation was just a cover for the fact that he didn't either. Seems like a coach who knew the new rule would make a point of making sure his players did as well if he did know.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:11 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Quote:

I don't think so. They don't get punished like running backs. Jerry Rice was 42 when he retired.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
So is it sudden death once each team scores? Or just a full extra quarter?

Chiefs will have an opportunity to answer. The entire quarter only gets played if both teams stay tied.

Turns out I was wrong on this. The Chiefs were never really in danger of losing due to expiration of the clock. On the last possession where they scored they actually had 4 downs to get a TD, not the 6 seconds left in the OT. The overtime is basically run like a regular NFL quarter. The Chiefs only would've lost the game had they failed to score during their march downfield. It makes SF taking possession first look even worse.
From the NFL.
https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-overtime-rules/
Quote:
OVERTIME RULES FOR NFL POSTSEASON GAMES

Unlike regular season games, postseason games cannot end in a tie, so the overtime rules change slightly for the playoffs.

If the score is still tied at the end of an overtime period — or if the second team’s initial possession has not ended — the teams will play another overtime period. Play will continue regardless of how many overtime periods are needed for a winner to be determined.
There will be a two-minute intermission between each overtime period. There will not be a halftime intermission after the second period.
The captain who lost the first overtime coin toss will either choose to possess the ball or select which goal his team will defend, unless the team that won the coin toss deferred that choice.
Each team will have an opportunity to possess the ball in overtime.
Each team gets three timeouts during a half.
The same timing rules that apply at the end of the second and fourth regulation periods also apply at the end of a second or fourth overtime period.
If there is still no winner at the end of a fourth overtime period, there will be another coin toss, and play will continue until a winner is declared.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject:

E_Wulf420 wrote:
32 wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:
Last California team to win are the Rams

The Rams run California. Lol
Rams would have won this game if they didn't get screwed by the refs against the Lions

😂
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject:

Oops

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject:

It played out exactly the way most people should have expected it. The better QB won. Purdy would have had to play an historic game to give himself an edge big enough to dull the brilliance of Mahomes. A close game was unlikely to break the Niners' way.

A tip of the cap to Christian McCaffrey. That guy is an absolutely wonderful player to watch.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
It played out exactly the way most people should have expected it. The better QB won. Purdy would have had to play an historic game to give himself an edge big enough to dull the brilliance of Mahomes. A close game was unlikely to break the Niners' way.

A tip of the cap to Christian McCaffrey. That guy is an absolutely wonderful player to watch.

The bad omen was when the 49ers players injuries started piling up.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject:

I know it won’t sit right with a lot of fans, but if the 49ers had convinced Tom Brady to join them a few years ago, they probably would have won a couple of superbowls, especially this last one.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:51 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Wonder if the 49ers should have ran the ball on 3rd and 4 really late in regulation. Then based on the result of the play (if they didn’t get the first), try to go for it to win the game right there and keep the ball away from Mahomes. It also forces the Chiefs to burn a timeout.

Regarding the 3rd and 4 that the 49ers faced with 2 minutes to go, I had the same thought. They may not have made it (KC did a good job against the run in the game, all things considered), but yes, you force them to use a timeout and it's probably 4th and short now and maybe you can go for that. They did get the points, but yeah, I thought of the same thing. And what sucks is that the play they ran, they didn't have a good call for. Spagnuolo brought the blitz and either Shanny didn't have the right call or Purdy didn't make the right read, because they didn't even get a realistic pass off (even if it's not tipped, that pass is going nowhere).

As for Mahomes on the final pass play of regulation, it did look like Rice broke open over the middle, but I can give Mahomes a pass there because with only 10 seconds left, it was pretty clear that he was just going to throw it quickly to Kelce once he saw he was in single coverage. He probably didn't want to risk going through progressions with 10 seconds left and risking a sack, a fumble, scrambling and running more clock, etc. And Reid made a good call to just kick the FG with 6 seconds left, even though another quick play could have still given them time for the FG. The risk of something bad happening there is just not worth it, and we've seen QB's take too long and run out the clock to end a half before. And you have the better QB if OT must come.

I thought kicking it with 6 seconds left was the right call.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

I don't know if Shanahan and the entire coaching staff didn't know (of course that's not what he said after the game), but if the players didn't know, that tells you that at best, Shanahan didn't communicate with his players how they would play it in the event of playoff OT. And that's a huge failure, as a head coach and as a coaching staff. Contrast that with the Chiefs, where their players were well-versed in what type of strategy they would employ in playoff OT. Not just with the choice of whether or not to kickoff if you win the toss, but scenarios such as, what if you get the ball second and you're down by 7? Chris Jones said that in such a scenario, the Chiefs were prepared to go for the 2-point conversion in a winner-take-all play, rather than go for the tying PAT and then basically making it a sudden death game but where the 49ers would now have the advantage because they'd get the ball next.

The Chiefs were better-prepared than the 49ers were. And even though it appeared that the Chiefs were struggling with their composure early in the game, they were able to pull it together, unlike the Ravens a couple of weeks ago. You have to credit Reid and the KC coaching staff for that.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:01 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Mahomes is 28 years old. He is going to win 10 Super bowl at least when his career is over. No team is going to stop him in the next ten years.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:07 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:

Mahomes is 28 years old. He is going to win 10 Super bowl at least when his career is over. No team is going to stop him in the next ten years.

We have no idea how many more he will win, if any at all. You just never know. It's not like they have rampaged through the playoffs the last 2 years with blowout after blowout. They are going to be the built-in favorite every year, sure (even though Vegas has the 49ers as having the best odds to win next year's Super Bowl), but you just never know. Brady had a 10-year hiatus from being in the Super Bowl. Nothing is given, nothing is guaranteed, as far as winning titles is concerned. The only thing that I think we can all agree on is that Mahomes will play great and that his team will have a chance as long as he's great and probably for as long as Reid is the coach.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 328, 329, 330, 331, 332, 333  Next
Page 329 of 333
Jump to: