17th Pick: JALEN HOOD SCHIFINO is a Laker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next
 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 13468

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
His shot looks completely broken on an NBA floor so I'm still not sure he's an NBA player. Maybe it's just nerves but that's not exactly encouraging either. Let's see how he looks next season


His form or the results? I have to say I can't recall seeing him shoot. I feel like Lonzo's form was obviously broken, but we did see it a lot more often. Honestly asking because you probably know more than I do
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 11 Oct 2016
Posts: 10167

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
levon wrote:
His shot looks completely broken on an NBA floor so I'm still not sure he's an NBA player. Maybe it's just nerves but that's not exactly encouraging either. Let's see how he looks next season


His form or the results? I have to say I can't recall seeing him shoot. I feel like Lonzo's form was obviously broken, but we did see it a lot more often. Honestly asking because you probably know more than I do

Nah, I'm no shot doctor. But both the form and the results look very wrong, and these are on easy, wide open looks. He's not missing long or short like when Austin misses shots.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 28947

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Theseus wrote:
levon wrote:
His shot looks completely broken on an NBA floor so I'm still not sure he's an NBA player. Maybe it's just nerves but that's not exactly encouraging either. Let's see how he looks next season


His form or the results? I have to say I can't recall seeing him shoot. I feel like Lonzo's form was obviously broken, but we did see it a lot more often. Honestly asking because you probably know more than I do

Nah, I'm no shot doctor. But both the form and the results look very wrong, and these are on easy, wide open looks. He's not missing long or short like when Austin misses shots.


His shot needs to be remade, just as Lonzo’s did. Lonzo also shot 40%+ on high volume at UCLA but showed itself for what it was once he reached the NBA. I’m not fooled by his hot stretch of shooting against the low-pressure G-league environment. It’ll have to be fixed and my guess is neither her nor the organization will decide that until he’s had a full year of poor shooting in NBA games. And as we’ve seen with everyone who has to fix their shot, it’s another year at least of getting comfortable with that shot and trusting the form.

He is, at a minimum, three years away from a *decent* jumper. Much further away from a good one, if at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jul 2020
Posts: 5059

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo Ball had a great summer league, and scored a 29 point near triple double in his second game at 19 years old.

JHS scored 10 points against one of the worst teams in NBA history.

I have to defer to anyone who watched him play at Indiana or carefully watches all his G-League games, but so far I've seen nothing to indicate he's in the same league as Lonzo, even the flawed version who played for us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 17786

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject:

I don't see how his shot looks as bad as Lonzo's or why it has to be rebuilt. I'm no shot doctor but
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 25830

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject:

I reiterate... this was on the last page

MJST wrote:
Since nobody is talking about it. JHS's been playing very well in the G-League for a 20 year old rookie.

He's averaging

19.0 PPG
3.1 RPG
5.0 APG
0.6 SPG
0.6 BPG
45.2% Field Goal
43.8% Three Pointers(on 4.6 a game)
75% Free Throws
32.2 MPG






His jumper is fine in G-League and is the same distance. What that means is it could be a confidence thing as well as an 'adjusting to the speed of the game' thing. But his form isn't a broken form at all in the slightest.

He has a longer trajectory but he seems to be starting to adjust well, at least to the G-League speed. Hopefully that starts translating over as well.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 3535

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject:

this guy has less hops than dlo. just barely gets off the ground on his layups.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 8404

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
this guy has less hops than dlo. just barely gets off the ground on his layups.


You're worried about the wrong thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 3158

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Playing well in the G league is more encouraging than not playing well. But it still means next to nothing. Gotta prove it in the big leagues.
_________________
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Posts: 3985

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:01 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
I reiterate... this was on the last page

MJST wrote:
Since nobody is talking about it. JHS's been playing very well in the G-League for a 20 year old rookie.

He's averaging

19.0 PPG
3.1 RPG
5.0 APG
0.6 SPG
0.6 BPG
45.2% Field Goal
43.8% Three Pointers(on 4.6 a game)
75% Free Throws
32.2 MPG






His jumper is fine in G-League and is the same distance. What that means is it could be a confidence thing as well as an 'adjusting to the speed of the game' thing. But his form isn't a broken form at all in the slightest.

He has a longer trajectory but he seems to be starting to adjust well, at least to the G-League speed. Hopefully that starts translating over as well.


The longer/higher trajectory that doesnt seem kinetically perfect/efficient does seem to be the issue and its the very first thing that caught my eye about him immediately when i saw him shoot. That said, it doesnt seem all that broken and does appear to be a shot that can be good with enough practice. If Sam Perkins can be a great three point shooter with his form/trajectory, most forms/trajectories can work with the right touch/feel.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jun 2021
Posts: 8341

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Cam Whitmore’s been the steal of the 2023 Draft.

In his last 22 games he’s averaging 13.5 PTS & 4 REB on 48% shooting & 40% from 3 in only 19 MPG. The athleticism, strength, and shotmaking makes his upside so high. He doesn’t turn 20 until July.


I am so pissed we picked jhs over cam
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 6317

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
Quote:
Cam Whitmore’s been the steal of the 2023 Draft.

In his last 22 games he’s averaging 13.5 PTS & 4 REB on 48% shooting & 40% from 3 in only 19 MPG. The athleticism, strength, and shotmaking makes his upside so high. He doesn’t turn 20 until July.


I am so pissed we picked jhs over cam


I was surprised they picked a PG with all the ball handlers we already have on this team.

Both Whitmore and Jaquez was there and fill more of a much needed position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 3535

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:06 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
Quote:
Cam Whitmore’s been the steal of the 2023 Draft.

In his last 22 games he’s averaging 13.5 PTS & 4 REB on 48% shooting & 40% from 3 in only 19 MPG. The athleticism, strength, and shotmaking makes his upside so high. He doesn’t turn 20 until July.


I am so pissed we picked jhs over cam


don't worry. people are comparing jhs to andre miller/chauncey billups here, lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 28947

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:28 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
MJST wrote:
I reiterate... this was on the last page

MJST wrote:
Since nobody is talking about it. JHS's been playing very well in the G-League for a 20 year old rookie.

He's averaging

19.0 PPG
3.1 RPG
5.0 APG
0.6 SPG
0.6 BPG
45.2% Field Goal
43.8% Three Pointers(on 4.6 a game)
75% Free Throws
32.2 MPG






His jumper is fine in G-League and is the same distance. What that means is it could be a confidence thing as well as an 'adjusting to the speed of the game' thing. But his form isn't a broken form at all in the slightest.

He has a longer trajectory but he seems to be starting to adjust well, at least to the G-League speed. Hopefully that starts translating over as well.


The longer/higher trajectory that doesnt seem kinetically perfect/efficient does seem to be the issue and its the very first thing that caught my eye about him immediately when i saw him shoot. That said, it doesnt seem all that broken and does appear to be a shot that can be good with enough practice. If Sam Perkins can be a great three point shooter with his form/trajectory, most forms/trajectories can work with the right touch/feel.


on closer inspection, not broken, but it is strange. he does this thing where he flares out the off hand on his follow-through. His motion is weird too, he brings it to his head and then seems to pop it out. Kinda reminds me of shawn marion in that way, though his jumpshot was weirder.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 28947

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:33 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
Quote:
Cam Whitmore’s been the steal of the 2023 Draft.

In his last 22 games he’s averaging 13.5 PTS & 4 REB on 48% shooting & 40% from 3 in only 19 MPG. The athleticism, strength, and shotmaking makes his upside so high. He doesn’t turn 20 until July.


I am so pissed we picked jhs over cam


don't worry. people are comparing jhs to andre miller/chauncey billups here, lol


I think he'll actually be the next Spencer Dinwiddie, so would be pretty cool if we signed him so he can mentor JHS!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 25830

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Jalen Hood Schifino Highlights | 26 Points, 7 Rebounds, 6 Assists


_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Jan 2016
Posts: 2398

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Jalen Hood Schifino Highlights | 26 Points, 7 Rebounds, 6 Assists



Good numbers for a 20 year old, actually. He's playing against guys that are 4-5 years older on average and more physically mature. He needs these reps.
_________________
Yi Jianlian Fanboy. Respect The Chair.
Starting anew. I'm retiring my main.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Jun 2021
Posts: 8341

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:30 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Jalen Hood Schifino Highlights | 26 Points, 7 Rebounds, 6 Assists



1st time I have seen this guy makes so many baskets. Keep grinding kid
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Clark Kent
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Posts: 1993

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:42 am    Post subject:

If he can work on his jumper for next season.
_________________
The butter is getting hard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 3770

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:21 am    Post subject:

Here is the thing. Just watch those South Bay games. He is playing really well. His shot is not broken. Just let him continue developing in South Bay.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 13607
Location: Boulder ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers didn't pick this guy at 17th how much lower would he have dropped
Was it a wasted first round pick? To skip whitmore and jaquez requires drug use or lack of skill assessment abilities or?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 13468

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
If the Lakers didn't pick this guy at 17th how much lower would he have dropped
Was it a wasted first round pick? To skip whitmore and jaquez requires drug use or lack of skill assessment abilities or?


This is an interesting question and I think very relevant when evaluating the Lakers selection of him. I don't follow college sports at all, I don't follow how well the top prospects across the world do, so when the draft comes around I just look at mock drafts.

Many mocks actually had us selecting JHS.

nbadraft.net has JHS going 16th and us getting Keyonte George who actually went 16. Vazquez is 23rd. Whitmore is 8th.

CBS sports has JHS going 15th. Jaquez going 28th. Whitmore was 4th. A later one had JHS going 14th and us getting Jaquez at 17th. Whitmore going 5th

nbadraftroom has JHS going 13th. Jaquez going 22nd. Whitmore going 9th. Us getting Keyonte George again.

Bleacher report has JHS going 14th with talk of him going 9th. Whitmore going 9th. Keyonte George being ours. Jaquez going 25th.

A lot of mock drafts had JHS going higher than our pick, a lot had Jaquez going lower. It makes sense when you look at it from that context. Some have said this came out of nowhere, but it doesn't appear that way.

Cam Whitmore fell from his projections which is strange. Sort of like Jared Sullinger. Apparently he had some scary medical records or something? So maybe looking at cam in the short term isn't the appropriate measuring stick.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Feb 2015
Posts: 8404

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject:

JHS is going to be great.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Nov 2015
Posts: 17786

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject:

JHS always was expected to be picked right around where picked him. I remember Mike [AT] LG not being a big fan; it also seemed to me like Podz & Jaquez were better prospects. But in terms of national consensus, the Lakers didn't go out of their way on this pick.

But FWIW, Jaquez is down to 33% from 3. It was a different story when he was closer to 39%. He's still a good player and has shown way more than JHS, but I'm not sure he's shown enough to assume JHS was the wrong pick in Year 1 -- at this point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
markjay
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Feb 2006
Posts: 3901
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
MJST wrote:
Jalen Hood Schifino Highlights | 26 Points, 7 Rebounds, 6 Assists



Good numbers for a 20 year old, actually. He's playing against guys that are 4-5 years older on average and more physically mature. He needs these reps.


Yeah pretty cool to see that JHS is putting up 22 points per 36 minutes as a 20 year old in the g league.

Until you realize that Cam Whitmore is putting up 25 points per 36 minutes as a 19 year old in the NBA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next
Page 39 of 40
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB