Brady just left, kinda how MJ had just left and Kobe took the crown right away
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:22 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Chiefs are officially a dynasty. Although Steelers fans would insist they need 4.

Mahomes is 28 years old. He is going to win 10 Super bowl at least when his career is over. No team is going to stop him in the next ten years.

We have no idea how many more he will win, if any at all. You just never know. It's not like they have rampaged through the playoffs the last 2 years with blowout after blowout. They are going to be the built-in favorite every year, sure (even though Vegas has the 49ers as having the best odds to win next year's Super Bowl), but you just never know. Brady had a 10-year hiatus from being in the Super Bowl. Nothing is given, nothing is guaranteed, as far as winning titles is concerned. The only thing that I think we can all agree on is that Mahomes will play great and that his team will have a chance as long as he's great and probably for as long as Reid is the coach.

Travis Kelce is older than Gronk, who has been retired for 3 years. Travis is already transitioning to his post-football career.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Could it be that being a Shanahan means you have to lose a couple of Super Bowls before winning one?

Kyle Shanahan lost one as an OC and now two as a head coach.

His dad lost two Super Bowls as the Broncos' OC, then won as the 49ers' OC, then won two more as the Broncos' head coach.

I'm really concerned about the 49ers' psyche, but hopefully Kyle is simply repeating the career arc of his dad.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Could it be that being a Shanahan means you have to lose a couple of Super Bowls before winning one?

His dad lost two Super Bowls as the Broncos' OC, then won as the 49ers' OC, then won two more as the Broncos' head coach.

I'm really concerned about the 49ers' psyche, but hopefully Kyle is simply repeating the career arc of his dad.

It's not looking good for Shanahan.

It's hard to build a sustained great team off of defense.

Players get old, or injury, or they leave via free agency, or they just get more and more expensive.

U'd be lucky to get a 5 yr run off of one great defensive unit. How long did the legion of boom last? iirc, it was probably around 5 years.

More recently, great defensive teams have come and gone quickly.

The Eagles were a great defensive team last year. They slipped. A few years back, I thought the Bears had something in Khalil Mack and Roquan Smith. That didn't last.

The 49ers have a great defensive unit right now. Bosa got paid. They're going to have a pay a few more of them to keep this unit in tact. Plus, Purdy's going to eventually get paid as well. By that time, CMC will require a new deal as well.

Time is running out for them. They might have a 2 year window right now.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Players get old, or injury, or they leave via free agency, or they just get more and more expensive.

U'd be lucky to get a 5 yr run off of one great defensive unit. How long did the legion of boom last? iirc, it was probably around 5 years.

The Eagles were a great defensive team last year. They slipped. A few years back, I thought the Bears had something in Khalil Mack and Roquan Smith. That didn't last.

The 49ers have a great defensive unit right now. Bosa got paid. They're going to have a pay a few more of them to keep this unit in tact. Plus, Purdy's going to eventually get paid as well. By that time, CMC will require a new deal as well.

I agree it's not looking good for Shanahan right now and that the 49ers' window isn't that wide.

But the reality is that at any given time in the NFL, there usually isn't a such thing as a championship window that is more than a few years wide.

The Chiefs' window may be just as limited, as Travis Kelce could very well retire after next season, and there were rumors he was going to retire after Sunday's game.

I'm more concerned about the 49ers' mentally and emotionally than I am in terms of talent or their championship window. These two Super Bowl losses and the 2021 NFC Championship Game loss could be in their heads from now on when they're in that situation again and prevent them from winning.

At the same time, their key defensive stars are all young, and their offense is much better than it was the first half of last season.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:38 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
slavavov wrote:

I agree it's not looking good for Shanahan right now and that the 49ers' window isn't that wide.

But the reality is that at any given time in the NFL, there usually isn't a such thing as a championship window that is more than a few years wide.

The Chiefs' window may be just as limited, as Travis Kelce could very well retire after next season, and there were rumors he was going to retire after Sunday's game.

I'm more concerned about the 49ers' mentally and emotionally than I am in terms of talent or their championship window. These two Super Bowl losses and the 2021 NFC Championship Game loss could be in their heads from now on when they're in that situation again and prevent them from winning.

At the same time, their key defensive stars are all young, and their offense is much better than it was the first half of last season.

But a great QB could play 20 years and u can always reload. So, to me, that's just more sustainable than building it off of a great D.

Look at Elway. He had what, 2 separate championship windows? One under Dan Reeves when he went to 3 SBs and lost and another under Shanahan where Terrell Davis was the main player.

So, Mahomes should have at least another 10-12 years to play and for sure, they're going to have to reload.

But we've already seen them change their team from an elite dynamic offense with Tyreek Hill to a more ball controlled defense oriented team now.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Chiefs are officially a dynasty. Although Steelers fans would insist they need 4.

Mahomes is 28 years old. He is going to win 10 Super bowl at least when his career is over. No team is going to stop him in the next ten years.

He's a great player, and he will very likely win more titles. But there's a reason why repeat visits to the SB, much less back to back wins, is a rarity in the NFL. He has 3 titles in 6 years while entering his prime. Everything would have to go the Chiefs' way for the next 14 years for him to match that pace and he's still going to have to be a great QB at for the first few years in his 40's; assuming he is lucky enough to never have a serious injury in that 14 year span. And that many post season is going to take it's toll on a body as he gets into the second half of his 30's. It'd be a Herculean task for him to get 7+ more titles, even if the Chiefs could manage to build elite teams every year over that period; especially when every other NFL team is going to be trying to get there. Even if Mahomes shifts teams late in his career, it's still a big stretch. Brady has 7, and I can see Mahomes possibly tying or beating it by 1 . . . But 10+? Not likely.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
.....assuming he is lucky enough to never have a serious injury in that 14 year span..

One thing about the QB position is that, there are very few career ending injuries for them.

Brady tore his ACL. Rodgers tore his achilles. None are considered career ending.

Now a running QB like RG3 was greatly affected by his knee injury. I think Joe Theisman had a career ending injury when he broke his leg.

Alex Smith did too. But, they are pretty rare though.

So Mahomes has a very good chance to play for the next 10-15 years relatively healthy.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject:

49ers are favored to win the super bowl next year.

https://www.espn.com/espn/betting/story/_/id/39504923/nfl-betting-early-odds-win-super-bowl-2025

Last edited by 32 on Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Eric Deggans at NPR @Deggans

CBS finally released Super Bowl ratings: It was most-watched telecast in TV history, w/average 123.4 million viewers, up 7% from 2023; more than 200 million watched all or part of it across all networks. 120 million watched on CBS alone, also a record. The Taylor Effect indeed.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
.....assuming he is lucky enough to never have a serious injury in that 14 year span..

One thing about the QB position is that, there are very few career ending injuries for them.

Brady tore his ACL. Rodgers tore his achilles. None are considered career ending.

Now a running QB like RG3 was greatly affected by his knee injury. I think Joe Theisman had a career ending injury when he broke his leg.

So Mahomes has a very good chance to play for the next 10-15 years relatively healthy.

Mahomes runs smart. He doesn't take hits. He goes as far as he can in a safe space. When he sees a hit coming he slides. When he dives it's into an open area.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Mahomes runs smart. He doesn't take hits. He goes as far as he can in a safe space. When he sees a hit coming he slides. If not he dives into an open area.

If he's going to get injured, it's probably going to be on a sack. That's how Brady, Rodgers, Alex Smith, and Theisman all got hurt.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:18 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
slavavov wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
slavavov wrote:

But a great QB could play 20 years and u can always reload. So, to me, that's just more sustainable than building it off of a great D.

Look at Elway. He had what, 2 separate championship windows? One under Dan Reeves when he went to 3 SBs and lost and another under Shanahan where Terrell Davis was the main player.

So, Mahomes should have at least another 10-12 years to play and for sure, they're going to have to reload.

But we've already seen them change their team from an elite dynamic offense with Tyreek Hill to a more ball controlled defense oriented team now.

That's true, and while Brock Purdy may not be a truly elite QB (at least not yet), he gives the 49ers the same thing.

If the Niners figure out how to maneuver under the salary cap to keep enough of their core together, their championship window could last more than one more year.

Again, I'm much more concerned about them mentally and emotionally. You can overcome one SB loss, but when you lose two, especially the way they did, it can take on a life of its own.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:23 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Eric Deggans at NPR @Deggans

CBS finally released Super Bowl ratings: It was most-watched telecast in TV history, w/average 123.4 million viewers, up 7% from 2023; more than 200 million watched all or part of it across all networks. 120 million watched on CBS alone, also a record. The Taylor Effect indeed.

Wow that's insane.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
That's true, and while Brock Purdy may not be a truly elite QB (at least not yet), he gives the 49ers the same thing.

No doubt. If Purdy is elite, then 49ers' window is wide open. I don't believe he is, that's why I think their window is closing. But if he turns out to be a top 5 QB, then the 49ers will compete for years to come.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I didn't say career ending (but as you point out they have happened), and it wouldn't have to be one. Just look at Rodgers at the start of this season, out in the first thirty seconds of the first game and missed the entire season. Lots of QB's have had injuries that sideline them for a chunk of a season and that's all it takes to make a post season run less likely, and if it happens at the end of the season, even more so.

I'm not saying Mahomes could never win 10+ SB's, I'm just saying that the way the NFL is constructed and the great amount of good fortunate it would take, it is extremely unlikely.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:44 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Mahomes runs smart. He doesn't take hits. He goes as far as he can in a safe space. When he sees a hit coming he slides. If not he dives into an open area.

If he's going to get injured, it's probably going to be on a sack. That's how Brady, Rodgers, Alex Smith, and Theisman all got hurt.

YUP! I saw Lawrence Taylor and Harry Carson sack Theismann. It was brutal. The ugliest injury I saw was Shaun Livingston's knee injury. The view is from the front. His kneecap is on the side of his leg. After that catastrophic knee injury, he returned to play the game at a high level. WARNING IT'S GRAPHIC

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:54 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
slavavov wrote:

No doubt. If Purdy is elite, then 49ers' window is wide open. I don't believe he is, that's why I think their window is closing. But if he turns out to be a top 5 QB, then the 49ers will compete for years to come.

If Purdy isn't elite, he's close to it. Remember he went up against a great, underrated defense and that the 49ers has some missed blocking assignments in crunch time.

Remember that Mahomes played much worse than Purdy and was borderline molested in the SB three years ago when he lost to Brady and the Bucs.

The 49ers need to upgrade the right side of their offensive line. Purdy isn't as great as Mahomes, but he can definitely get into the top five ranking. I already have him ahead of Dak Prescott and no lower than Herbert.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:23 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
slavavov wrote:

If Purdy isn't elite, he's close to it. Remember he went up against a great, underrated defense and that the 49ers has some missed blocking assignments in crunch time.

Remember that Mahomes played much worse than Purdy and was borderline molested in the SB three years ago when he lost to Brady and the Bucs.

The 49ers need to upgrade the right side of their offensive line. Purdy isn't as great as Mahomes, but he can definitely get into the top five ranking. I already have him ahead of Dak Prescott and no lower than Herbert.

I think he's a good QB, maybe even very good. I don't see him as ever being elite, personally. The 49ers also faced an unusually low number of top 10 pass defenses this past season, and when they did, Purdy played considerably worse. The Baltimore game and the game yesterday were two such occasions. It's not that Purdy was necessarily horrible yesterday, but still. (By contrast, the Chiefs actually faced an unusually high number of top 10 pass defenses this past season.) Still, I mean, they took the Chiefs to OT and obviously came oh-so-close to winning the whole thing. I don't think you necessarily have to have an elite QB to win the Super Bowl, especially in the NFC right now. But if the 49ers fail to win one in the next 2 years, it will be interesting to see if they commit to paying Purdy such a huge number. That likely means that one of Aiyuk/Samuel won't be on the team beyond that, for example. McCaffrey has 2 years remaining on his contract, which will be his age-28 and age-29 seasons, so he's a very strong bet to finish out that deal. But do you pay a 30-year-old another big deal in '26? Of course, the 49ers were still a good team before CMC, but if you take him away and take away, say, Deebo (their X factor, really), how much does that offense change? If Purdy is making upwards of $45MM a year, what does that do to what you can add on defense? Finding players in the draft, like the Chiefs have after paying Mahomes a gargantuan deal, will be of paramount importance, if they do pay him.

Regarding that last point, I do think it's good for the 49ers that John Lynch has proven to be an extremely competent GM, despite the obvious major misstep to trade up for Trey Lance in the draft. He's hit on so many key starters on both offense and defense via the draft, and not only that, but he's made stroke of genius trades (CMC and Trent Williams come to mind) and free agent signings as well (Charvarius Ward, Javon Hargrave, and even Richard Sherman come to mind).
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:46 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I think he's a good QB, maybe even very good. I don't see him as ever being elite, personally. The 49ers also faced an unusually low number of top 10 pass defenses this past season, and when they did, Purdy played considerably worse. The Baltimore game and the game yesterday were two such occasions.

That may be true, but Purdy has actually been good at times against pressure, and he makes quick and accurate reads.

Take a look at these stats from the SB.

https://twitter.com/LombardiHimself/status/1757145690160218588

Quote:
Brock Purdy was 12-18 for 131 yards and a TD when blitzed yesterday. On the whole, he handled the pressure well.

I think he can become elite, if he isn't there already. He has already shown us that; look at the Dallas game, for example, when he feasted on a defense that often looked dominant this season.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Purdy's played 25 regular season games and 6 playoff games in his career.

It's very hard to declare him elite or close to elite at this point.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:20 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Purdy's played 25 regular season games and 6 playoff games in his career.

It's very hard to declare him elite or close to elite at this point.

And yet people declared Mahomes elite after his first season as a starter before he won his first SB.

I know his numbers were even better than Purdy's numbers, but when Purdy puts up 4,280 passing yards, 31 passing touchdowns and leads the NFL in passer rating and QBR, it's very hard to not declare him at least near-elite, especially when he leads his team to back-to-back come from behind playoff wins.

Purdy, in just two postseasons, already has as many playoff wins as Dak Prescott and Lamar Jackson have in a combined nine playoff appearances. And most consider Prescott and especially Jackson to be elite.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:25 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
And yet people declared Mahomes elite after his first season as a starter before he won his first SB.

Yeah, you're not going to be convinced.....

Which is fine. I mean, if you feel Purdy is being judged wrongly, then it is what it is.

I mean, you chose to compare Purdy to Mahomes.

Even Brady wasn't considered elite after his first 2 years.

Honestly, what's the rush to conclude that Purdy is elite tonight? I mean, is he up for a contract extension or something tomorrow?

slavavov wrote:
Purdy, in just two postseasons, already has as many playoff wins as Dak Prescott and Lamar Jackson have in a combined nine playoff appearances. And most consider Prescott and especially Jackson to be elite.

So does the 49ers' previous QB, Jimmy G
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:04 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Yeah, you're not going to be convinced.....

Which is fine. I mean, if you feel Purdy is being judged wrongly, then it is what it is.

I mean, you chose to compare Purdy to Mahomes.

Even Brady wasn't considered elite after his first 2 years.

Honestly, what's the rush to conclude that Purdy is elite tonight? I mean, is he up for a contract extension or something tomorrow?

I'm not comparing Purdy to Mahomes. I was just saying that Mahomes was considered elite after one season and you said it's hard to say Purdy is elite or near-elite after one season and change.

Obviously Mahomes is clearly better than Purdy (and every other QB who has ever played besides Brady and Montana).

Right now I have Purdy as near-elite. He in the same group as Prescott, Jackson, Herbert and Jalen Hurts.

There's no rush to conclude that he's elite lol. I just don't get how he's not a good QB. We shouldn't use his B- SB performance as proof he's not that good when there are many other games against very good opponents in which he has done well.

LongBeachPoly wrote:
slavavov wrote:

So does the 49ers' previous QB, Jimmy G

Jimmy G's playoff record can be deceiving as far as judging how good a QB he is. He was somewhat above-average with the 49ers, but away from them, maybe he's been exposed.

Purdy showed us something in those two come-from-behind wins this year, especially against Detroit when he had to ad-lib and gain yards on the ground.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:42 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
There's no rush to conclude that he's elite lol. I just don't get how he's not a good QB.

If there's no rush, then why the pushback? Cuz no one in here is in any rush except you?

And I haven't seen one poster in here claim that Purdy isn't a "good QB"?

Who are you replying to?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 329, 330, 331 ... 334, 335, 336  Next
Page 330 of 336
Jump to: