THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3630, 3631, 3632 ... 3639, 3640, 3641  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject:

Finally the NY Times has to cover this in the broader context of US and world security. As in Trump's threat is really, really dangerous for the stability of the entire world.

NYT: Favoring Foes Over Friends, Trump Threatens to Upend International Order

Quote:
But he took it to a whole new level over the weekend, declaring at a rally in South Carolina that not only would he not defend European countries he deemed to be in arrears from an attack by Russia, he would go so far as to “encourage” Russia “to do whatever the hell they want” against them. Never before has a president of the United States suggested he would incite an enemy to attack American allies.

Some may discount that as typical Trump rally bluster or write it off as a poor attempt at humor. Others may even cheer the hard line against supposedly deadbeat allies who in this view have taken advantage of American friendship for too long. But Mr. Trump’s rhetoric foreshadows potentially far-reaching changes in the international order if he wins the White House again in November with unpredictable consequences.

What’s more, Mr. Trump’s riff once again raised uncomfortable questions about his taste in friends. Encouraging Russia to attack NATO allies, even if he were not fully serious, is a stunning statement that highlights his odd affinity for President Vladimir V. Putin, who has already proved his willingness to invade neighboring countries that do not have the protection of NATO.

Quote:
Undeterred by criticism of his latest comment, Mr. Trump doubled down on Sunday.

“No money in the form of foreign aid should be given to any country unless it is done as a loan, not just a giveaway,” he wrote on social media in all capital letters. “We should never give money anymore,” he added, “without the hope of a payback, or without ‘strings’ attached.”

Quote:
Coming just days after Mr. Putin told Tucker Carlson that Poland was at fault for Adolf Hitler invading it in 1939, the mood in Warsaw could hardly be more unsettled.

“Article 5 has so far been invoked once — to help the U.S. in Afghanistan after 9/11,” Radek Sikorski, the foreign minister of Poland, noted in an email exchange on Sunday. “Poland sent a brigade for a decade. We did not send a bill to Washington.”

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject:

During his presidency Trump threatened South Korea with a 500% increase in the cost of having a US Base there.. (which seen below they paid 11 Billion dollars to help build)

I have been saying for years our politicians are not spouting American arguments or values... This attack on South Korea is because of how large they are in our defense alliance.. Orders given by Putin/Kremlin/Xi

Bookings Institute hopefully legit..
https://www.brookings.edu/articles/trump-shakedowns-are-threatening-two-key-u-s-alliances-in-asia/
Quote:

Already, President Trump has reportedly demanded a five-fold increase in the amount South Korea pays toward the cost of stationing U.S. forces there, raising the amount to $5 billion a year.

South Korea spends 2.6% of its gross domestic product on defense; that’s more than any of our European allies. By 2022, South Korea will be among the world’s top five or six highest spenders on defense. Seoul paid 92% of the $11-billion cost for building Camp Humphreys, the largest U.S. base on foreign soil, and over the last four years, South Korea has purchased $13 billion in arms from the United States.

South Korea has fought alongside the United States in every conflict since the Korean War. Seoul sent 300,000 troops to the Vietnam War, and 5,000 of its soldiers were killed. At one point, it fielded the third-largest troop contingent in Iraq after the United States and Britain. It has also conducted anti-piracy operations off Somalia and participated in peacekeeping operations in Afghanistan, East Timor and elsewhere.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject:

operation KIISFM is a go

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:53 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1756888470599967000

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:13 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Love it!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:17 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
kikanga wrote:

Love it!

First time in my life I had a political incentive to root for one sports team over another. I already root against SF-based teams but this made it even more exciting.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject:

I just love fact that hating Taylor Swift had righties rooting for a team from San Francisco, California.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
I just love fact that hating Taylor Swift had righties rooting for a team from San Francisco, California.

Most WOKE city in America by their standards.
It's like they just believe any (bleep) the zoo keepers tell them

8 years later and they're still suckered by Trump

It is going to take forever to reeducate these losers sigh
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject:

I put this in the football thread too. But if Taylor Swift can get young women and other young people to register to vote for Joe Biden the way they tuned into the Superbowl....

Quote:
Eric Deggans at NPR @Deggans

CBS finally released Super Bowl ratings: It was most-watched telecast in TV history, w/average 123.4 million viewers, up 7% from 2023; more than 200 million watched all or part of it across all networks. 120 million watched on CBS alone, also a record. The Taylor Effect indeed.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
I put this in the football thread too. But if Taylor Swift can get young women and other young people to register to vote for Joe Biden the way they tuned into the Superbowl....

Quote:

CBS finally released Super Bowl ratings: It was most-watched telecast in TV history, w/average 123.4 million viewers, up 7% from 2023; more than 200 million watched all or part of it across all networks. 120 million watched on CBS alone, also a record. The Taylor Effect indeed.

"If" being the operative word. I love the fact that she is driving conservatives nuts with her new found notoriety in the sports segment of pop culture. But, at least so far, she doesn't seem interested in leveraging it politically; and that's not a criticism. I don't fault her for not doing so. She's under no obligation to campaign for anyone. It'd be great to see her step into the fray, but I'm not going to fault her for enjoying her new relationship and the little free time she has in an obviously busy schedule. The Dems need to get the appropriate messages out through their own volition. If she steps in to help, all the better.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:48 pm    Post subject:

I saw a Reddit that said something like he already said she is a Traitor if she endorses Biden... Trump is a fkn Monster .. that is scary if I was a citizen to hear from a Tyrant

Here is also why they so scared of her
A Taylor Swift Instagram post helped drive a surge in voter registration
SEPTEMBER 22, 2023 4:19 PM ET
https://www.npr.org/2023/09/22/1201183160/taylor-swift-instagram-voter-registration
Quote:
When Taylor Swift speaks, her fans listen.

On Tuesday morning, the singer posted a short message on Instagram encouraging her 272 million followers to register to vote. Afterward, the website she directed her fans to — the nonpartisan nonprofit Vote.org — recorded more than 35,000 registrations, according to the organization.

"I've been so lucky to see so many of you guys at my U.S. shows recently. I've heard you raise your voices, and I know how powerful they are," she wrote on her Instagram Stories. "Make sure you're ready to use them in our elections this year!" Her post included a link to register at Vote.org.

POP CULTURE HAPPY HOUR
For The Eras Tour, Taylor Swift takes a lucrative, satisfying victory lap
The 35,252 new registrations on National Voter Registration Day were the most since 2020, the organization said, and a 23% jump over last year. The number of 18-year-olds registered was more than double 2022.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

"If" being the operative word. I love the fact that she is driving conservatives nuts with her new found notoriety in the sports segment of pop culture. But, at least so far, she doesn't seem interested in leveraging it politically; and that's not a criticism. I don't fault her for not doing so. She's under no obligation to campaign for anyone. It'd be great to see her step into the fray, but I'm not going to fault her for enjoying her new relationship and the little free time she has in an obviously busy schedule. The Dems need to get the appropriate messages out through their own volition. If she steps in to help, all the better.

I feel similarly. I think the safe, likely baseline. Is that she'll encourage people to vote. Like she's done in the past. Her endorsing Biden is a whole other level. I don't expect that. She started off as a country music star. With plenty of fans from the right wing. And even though she's more pop now. She'd be hurting her pockets endorsing Biden officially.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:36 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

I feel similarly. I think the safe, likely baseline. Is that she'll encourage people to vote. Like she's done in the past. Her endorsing Biden is a whole other level. I don't expect that. She started off as a country music star. With plenty of fans from the right wing. And even though she's more pop now. She'd be hurting her pockets endorsing Biden officially.

She endorsed Biden in 2020 and criticized Trump directly on Twitter at the time:

Quote:
Taylor Swift @taylorswift13

After stoking the fires of white supremacy and racism your entire presidency, you have the nerve to feign moral superiority before threatening violence? ‘When the looting starts the shooting starts’??? We will vote you out in November. @realdonaldtrump

11:33 AM · May 29, 2020

Quote:

Donald Trump’s ineffective leadership gravely worsened the crisis that we are in and he is now taking advantage of it to subvert and destroy our right to vote and vote safely. Request a ballot early. Vote early.

1:20 PM · Aug 15, 2020
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Despite What You've Read In the New York Times, Trump Actually Looks Terrible
But the beauty contest between him and Biden sure is a fun distraction from his lunatic views on immigration.

By now, I hope all shebeen regulars have taken note of the single worst passage to appear in the New York Times since the days when Walter Duranty was writing about how high-on-the-hog Ukrainians were living under the enlightened rule of Joseph Stalin. If you somehow missed it, or if you never finished it because projectile vomiting overcame you before you could, here it is. Gaze in awe:

Quote:
Mr. Biden’s voice has grown softer and raspier, his hair thinner and whiter. He is tall and trim but moves more tentatively than he did as a candidate in 2019 and 2020, often holding his upper body stiff, adding to an impression of frailty. And he has had spills in the public eye: falling off a bicycle, tripping over a sandbag.

Mr. Trump, by contrast, does not appear to be suffering the effects of time in such visible ways. Mr. Trump often dyes his hair and appears unnaturally tan. He is heavyset and tall, and he uses his physicality to project strength in front of crowds. When he takes the stage at rallies, he basks in adulation for several minutes, dancing to an opening song, and then holds forth in speeches replete with macho rhetoric and bombast that typically last well over an hour, a display of stamina.

Where was Rebecca O'Brien Davis's brain when she was typing this? And where were the editors to give this avalanche of nonsense the editing that it deserved? Maybe nobody on the desk could find the flamethrower. El Caudillo del Mar-A-Lago looks about as healthy as John Tyler, and I mean how Tyler looks right now. Dig him up and see if I'm lying.

This job of work looks even worse because the former president* went to Pennsylvania in the immediate aftermath and delivered an entire truckload of bananas on the stump while speaking at the NRA convention. People already have dissected this endless lunatic aria for its recklessness on foreign policy—good luck, Estonia!—and for its extravagant mendacity, and for its transparent evidence that the guy should be surrounded by soft walls for the remainder of his time among the living. But there was something else worth noting about his speech. He flapped his gums about how he'd killed the compromise immigration bill in Congress, and then went off riffing about immigration in general.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/politics/a46752581/trump-immigration-biden-age/
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Re: Taylor Swift - Do you think a 34-year-old-woman with millions of young women followers is unaware that Biden will try to codify abortions rights, bodily autonomy and privacy and Trump (or any Republican president) will try to ban abortion nationwide? Do you really think this self-made billionaire with unique power and platform will say NOTHING?

I suggest you check out the video of her discussion with her family about coming out against Marsha Blackburn (Rep.) her home state Senator and Trump where she tells them she doesn't care if it hurts her career because she couldn't live herself if she remained silent. She's almost in tears.

Netflix doc clip
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:51 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Quote:

She endorsed Biden in 2020 and criticized Trump directly on Twitter at the time:

Quote:

After stoking the fires of white supremacy and racism your entire presidency, you have the nerve to feign moral superiority before threatening violence? ‘When the looting starts the shooting starts’??? We will vote you out in November. @realdonaldtrump

11:33 AM · May 29, 2020

Quote:

Donald Trump’s ineffective leadership gravely worsened the crisis that we are in and he is now taking advantage of it to subvert and destroy our right to vote and vote safely. Request a ballot early. Vote early.

1:20 PM · Aug 15, 2020

I never say she didn't, and kikanga also pointed out she had.

It's important look at everything someone says and take the entirety of it in:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I love the fact that she is driving conservatives nuts with her new found notoriety in the sports segment of pop culture. But, at least so far, she doesn't seem interested in leveraging it politically

Just to reiterate: If she steps into the fray, that will be awesome. Her influence is clearly evident, and she has earned that clout. But it's not her responsibility to exert that clout, and if she chooses not to, that's totally understandable in the current climate. If the Dems need to rely on a Mega Pop star to utilize her popularity to deliver their message through the media rather than engage the media in legitimately reporting on the issues and events regarding Biden and Trump, they are in real trouble.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Voting is about emotion, not facts. Sad, but true.

MAGA world hypes it's voters on massive doses of fear and anger about imaginary BLM burning down cities and armies of brown skinned terrorists invading out southern border.

The Democrats better damn well come up with something outside the box instead of relying on the media or listing policy wins. Zzzzzz

Make women (and men) angry that R's want to ban all abortion, even in Blue states, and send women to jail over abortions.

Do all the regular stuff then do a thousand times more.

The Biden campaign just started a Tik-Tok account for Biden. It was short and funny.

But if anyone is counting on the regular media, forget about it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Apparently Jon Stewart is the Bob Costas of Bill Mahers.

He both sided Biden and Trump and the age issue. Said even if Trump won things won't be so bad.

Hard pass.

(All older, well-off, entitled white dudes who will never have to experience the worst impact of a white-male-supremacist dictatorship. That's some kind of privilege.)
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:57 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

He both sided Biden and Trump and the age issue. Said even if Trump won things won't be so bad.

Hard pass.

(All older, well-off, entitled white dudes who will never have to experience the worst impact of a white-male-supremacist dictatorship. That's some kind of privilege.)

That movie Jon wrote, directed, produced, Irresistable. Had a both sides-y message too. Jon can't help himself. I think he truly believes some red areas are so red, partly, because the Democratic party failed those people in one way or another. He's naive, IMO. Some people are just lost causes.

I think he will hammer Republicans and Trump 10x more than Biden and Democrats between now and November. Only increasing as election day nears.

But he will criticize Democrats and Biden too.

I do wish the Dem party nominee was younger. But I'm saving my critiques till after election day. Unlike Jon.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:11 am    Post subject:

On Monday night a neuroscientist was on MSNBC's "Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell," and he explained that Biden confusing one country for another recently or even not remembering what year his son died isn't an indicator of cognitive decline. It helped reassure me that Biden isn't even remotely senile (not that I needed any real reassuring about that though).

I'd post the video, but I can't find it. This same neuroscientist wrote an article about Biden and this whole age issue for the NYT the other day, but it makes you subscribe to read the full article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/12/opinion/neuroscientist-on-biden-age-memory.html
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:29 am    Post subject:

Watching Trumpies continue to lose their (bleep) online about the Super Bowl being rigged is almost as delicious as watching Kings fans (bleep) about the 2002 WCF. Almost.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:01 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Hard pass.

That movie Jon wrote, directed, produced, Irresistable. Had a both sides-y message too. Jon can't help himself. I think he truly believes some red areas are so red, partly, because the Democratic party failed those people in one way or another. He's naive, IMO. Some people are just lost causes.

I think he will hammer Republicans and Trump 10x more than Biden and Democrats between now and November. Only increasing as election day nears.

I do wish the Dem party nominee was younger. But I'm saving my critiques till after election day. Unlike Jon.

Cmon now, Jon Stewart isn’t a both side-ish guy, he’s a progressive

On a side note, inflation under 3%, first time in 3-4 yrs, Biden PR team need to amplify this
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:41 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
kikanga wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

Hard pass.

Cmon now, Jon Stewart isn’t a both side-ish guy, he’s a progressive

On a side note, inflation under 3%, first time in 3-4 yrs, Biden PR team need to amplify this

I agree he's progressive. But I described his film and his perspective accurately.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:25 am    Post subject:

Excellent meme: But they are both so old
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Voting is about emotion, not facts. Sad, but true.

For many, sure. That's why we are in this mess now.

Quote:
MAGA world hypes it's voters on massive doses of fear and anger about imaginary BLM burning down cities and armies of brown skinned terrorists invading out southern border.

The Democrats better damn well come up with something outside the box instead of relying on the media or listing policy wins. Zzzzzz

Make women (and men) angry that R's want to ban all abortion, even in Blue states, and send women to jail over abortions.

Exactly my point. The Democratic party themselves have to be assertive about delivering the right messages. They can't sit back and wait for celebrities to do it for them. It's certainly a great asset to have when it happens, but it is not something they should be waiting

Quote:
Do all the regular stuff then do a thousand times more.

The Biden campaign just started a Tik-Tok account for Biden. It was short and funny.

But if anyone is counting on the regular media, forget about it.

It's not about counting on the media. It's about driving the media.

Instead of sending out half a dozen emails a day to registered democrats begging for money, force the media to pay attention to what you want them to instead iof allowing them to drive the narrative.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3630, 3631, 3632 ... 3639, 3640, 3641  Next
Page 3631 of 3641
Jump to: