New HEAD COACH Search (Shams: Redick, Borrego, Cassell emerge as top candidates)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Whoever it is will get fired in 2 years

Yes. Except maybe reddick. This is a bron hire to see him out. This isn’t about building a future.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Odd makers have Sam Cassell as the favorite to land the Lakers job

IG, see this is a strong post you're making. Do more of this.

But you should post those odds. I think we'd all find it interesting.

Former Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski reportedly advising Lakers' coaching search

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nba/former-duke-coach-mike-krzyzewski-reportedly-advising-lakers-coaching-search

Borrego and Cassell are currently co-favorites on betting markets to be the next Lakers head coach at +300. Redick has the next-shortest odds at +340.

It's a red flag to me that Cassell has been an assistant for *15* years, has had multiple HC interviews, and has never gotten hired.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Ship bron out, hire kenny and then build a foundation for the future. Easy. No more yes men and nepo hires.

The organization is run by dumb-dumbs if they hire JJ. People talk about him being the next Kerr, but Kerr inherited prime Curry and another GOAT shooter in Klay. All he had to do was right the ship and manage egos. Marc Jackson was the one who built the foundation.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:23 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nba/former-duke-coach-mike-krzyzewski-reportedly-advising-lakers-coaching-search

Borrego and Cassell are currently co-favorites on betting markets to be the next Lakers head coach at +300. Redick has the next-shortest odds at +340.

It's a red flag to me that Cassell has been an assistant for *15* years, has had multiple HC interviews, and has never gotten hired.

Another Ham
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:38 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yup, been saying the same thing. I remember he was an assistant coach when Kobe was still in the league.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:47 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Yup, been saying the same thing. I remember he was an assistant coach when Kobe was still in the league.

what a absurd take
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Reds622 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
I'm really surprised that the Lakers were so high on Ham, and went through this entire process to get him, only to now rewind and do the entire thing again.

Just like with Vogel, they sort of have no plan. They got rid of the coach, scapegoated him. Even though in this case, probably it was more warranted and Ham has proven a lot less in the league as a coach.

But why get rid of a coach, without even knowing his replacement? Or having a strong idea of what you want and need.

The Suns which are not that well run, had the brains to first ensure that Bud was coming then moved on from Vogel. Meaning in their eyes, they upgraded as Bud is considered a better coach than Vogel. Last year, the Sixers did the same with Doc. They felt they were upgrading with Nurse (which they were). The Bucks, they again, felt Doc was the right guy for Giannis/Dame. Not a rookie HC. All these teams had a target and idea what they wanted to make the change.

We are replacing Ham, yet we have no real considerable proven better coach. Sure many will make an argument for this assistant or that assistant. Yet, 2 years ago, one would have made the same argument for Ham. So this is why I'm a bit bummed to see us keep doing the same thing again and again. We should have had a clear cut target and type of coach we want. Looking at our list, it's like we don't really have a true sense of what we want.

We just keep doing the same thing every 1-2-3 years, hoping that one coach will be the one. It's sad to see as a fan. Really sad.
Did you watch the games? His rotation management and ability to manage/evaluate his own players is the worst that I’ve seen.

A coach can impact the game only in so many ways.. ultimately it’s the players that play.

But he was TERRIBLE at arguably one of the only ways a coach actually impacts winning.

Suffice it to say, good riddance to Mr. Ham.
Ham was a mediocre head coach but Wolf is correct, this FO has no plan and their ideas of team building change every offseason. They fired Ham with absolutely no idea what to do next. Jones in Phoenix had his replacement lined up before firing Vogel. They didn’t interview 7-8 guys, they knew what the next step was. This FO is just flailing now.
Vogel shouldn’t have been fired in Phoenix.

You want to talk about a dumpster fire of a front office, you should start there.

The Lakers didn’t need to have a replacement lined up before they fired Ham. Everyone knew he was getting fired. It’s perfectly acceptable to go through the interview process. For all we know they already know who they are going to hire.. most likely they do.
"Wolf" and "Ventura" made many valid points.

It has been stated that the Suns pinpointed Coach Bud immediately. Given that the Suns went through 3 head coaches in 3 years, picked a coach that was fired from a team with The Greek Freak and an assistant (Ham) that failed with the Lakers. Mat Ishbia just picked the highest profiled head coach available that failed with a Bucks that had title-contending talent and HOFer and will magically transformed a CAP-restricted roster with 3 HOFers that couldn't find a way to seamlessly work together. They still don't have a PG that will get everybody in places on the floor and situations for them to thrive and Coach Bud doesn't play. Ishbia thinks that he can buy a championship.

Doc failed with the Bucks

Personally I don't want our FO to follow what the Suns' FO have been doing

Maybe the FO's main targets are actually coaching on teams that are still in the playoffs (Nori and Adelman). When David Adelman gets a full endorsement from Joker and a Ring (probably a 2nd ring), that is prase indeed.

Ham 1) Misused Christie; 2) Oversued Prince; 3) Had weird rotations (maybe because of injuries and/or players not performing at a high level) and lost the confidence/trust of the players. How many times have one seen a HOFer go ballistic on the HC in a playoff game, have another HOFer throw the HC "Under the Bus" during a post-game interview and/or a rotation player totally check out during a TO in a playoff game. Ratation Management is something that an experienced coaching staff/management address (see Bob Meyers talking to players on the Dubs and Kerr) can address, but once trust is gone - end of story. If Kerr lost the trust of Curry, Malone loses the trust Jokic, Finch lost the confidence of Ant Man, etc. - what happens . . . .
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Lots of coaches who get fired doesn’t mean they don’t have what it takes, If I knew we had a chance at Vogel I would be excited
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 3:01 am    Post subject:

Who was it that said Mike Malone was going to be fired after this series?
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 3:13 am    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
Looks like Malone might be available after the playoffs...

This didn’t age well.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 3:32 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/nbainsidergoat/status/1790670307403141158

LeBron with Sam Cassell

https://twitter.com/eduardo_vhmx/status/1790176682420076614/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1790176682420076614&currentTweetUser=eduardo_vhmx
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 3:58 am    Post subject:

I was really hoping for Quinn.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 5:55 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
2019 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

what a absurd take

I heard the coach Mike use to coach Redick at Duke

This could point to Redick as coach?
KareemRushForThree
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Reds622 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
I'm really surprised that the Lakers were so high on Ham, and went through this entire process to get him, only to now rewind and do the entire thing again.

Just like with Vogel, they sort of have no plan. They got rid of the coach, scapegoated him. Even though in this case, probably it was more warranted and Ham has proven a lot less in the league as a coach.

But why get rid of a coach, without even knowing his replacement? Or having a strong idea of what you want and need.

The Suns which are not that well run, had the brains to first ensure that Bud was coming then moved on from Vogel. Meaning in their eyes, they upgraded as Bud is considered a better coach than Vogel. Last year, the Sixers did the same with Doc. They felt they were upgrading with Nurse (which they were). The Bucks, they again, felt Doc was the right guy for Giannis/Dame. Not a rookie HC. All these teams had a target and idea what they wanted to make the change.

We are replacing Ham, yet we have no real considerable proven better coach. Sure many will make an argument for this assistant or that assistant. Yet, 2 years ago, one would have made the same argument for Ham. So this is why I'm a bit bummed to see us keep doing the same thing again and again. We should have had a clear cut target and type of coach we want. Looking at our list, it's like we don't really have a true sense of what we want.

We just keep doing the same thing every 1-2-3 years, hoping that one coach will be the one. It's sad to see as a fan. Really sad.
Did you watch the games? His rotation management and ability to manage/evaluate his own players is the worst that I’ve seen.

A coach can impact the game only in so many ways.. ultimately it’s the players that play.

But he was TERRIBLE at arguably one of the only ways a coach actually impacts winning.

Suffice it to say, good riddance to Mr. Ham.
Ham was a mediocre head coach but Wolf is correct, this FO has no plan and their ideas of team building change every offseason. They fired Ham with absolutely no idea what to do next. Jones in Phoenix had his replacement lined up before firing Vogel. They didn’t interview 7-8 guys, they knew what the next step was. This FO is just flailing now.
Vogel shouldn’t have been fired in Phoenix.

You want to talk about a dumpster fire of a front office, you should start there.

The Lakers didn’t need to have a replacement lined up before they fired Ham. Everyone knew he was getting fired. It’s perfectly acceptable to go through the interview process. For all we know they already know who they are going to hire.. most likely they do.
"Wolf" and "Ventura" made many valid points.

It has been stated that the Suns pinpointed Coach Bud immediately. Given that the Suns went through 3 head coaches in 3 years, picked a coach that was fired from a team with The Greek Freak and an assistant (Ham) that failed with the Lakers. Mat Ishbia just picked the highest profiled head coach available that failed with a Bucks that had title-contending talent and HOFer and will magically transformed a CAP-restricted roster with 3 HOFers that couldn't find a way to seamlessly work together. They still don't have a PG that will get everybody in places on the floor and situations for them to thrive and Coach Bud doesn't play. Ishbia thinks that he can buy a championship.

Doc failed with the Bucks

Personally I don't want our FO to follow what the Suns' FO have been doing

Maybe the FO's main targets are actually coaching on teams that are still in the playoffs (Nori and Adelman). When David Adelman gets a full endorsement from Joker and a Ring (probably a 2nd ring), that is prase indeed.

Ham 1) Misused Christie; 2) Oversued Prince; 3) Had weird rotations (maybe because of injuries and/or players not performing at a high level) and lost the confidence/trust of the players. How many times have one seen a HOFer go ballistic on the HC in a playoff game, have another HOFer throw the HC "Under the Bus" during a post-game interview and/or a rotation player totally check out during a TO in a playoff game. Ratation Management is something that an experienced coaching staff/management address (see Bob Meyers talking to players on the Dubs and Kerr) can address, but once trust is gone - end of story. If Kerr lost the trust of Curry, Malone loses the trust Jokic, Finch lost the confidence of Ant Man, etc. - what happens . . . .

Bud didnt fail with the Bucks... he won a title down 2-0 against the Suns. He then lost in 7 against Boston in 2022 when Middleton was out. He lost against Miami last year in the first round, Giannis missed some time and wouldn't hold onto the ball late in games because he was afraid of FTs. That's not an issue in PHX and wouldnt have been an issue here.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject:

Woj.

Quote:
ESPN Sources: The Lakers have secured permission to interview several assistants for head coaching job, including New Orleans’ James Borrego, Denver’s David Adelman, Philadelphia’s Sam Cassell and Minnesota’s Micah Nori, among others.

Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject:

Coach K should sit on the bench with JJ if hired.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Woj.

Quote:
ESPN Sources: The Lakers have secured permission to interview several assistants for head coaching job, including New Orleans’ James Borrego, Denver’s David Adelman, Philadelphia’s Sam Cassell and Minnesota’s Micah Nori, among others.

Not sure about Borrego. Adelman or Nori would be nice. Cassell is meh
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers secured permission to interview Miami assistant Chris Quinn too, sources tell ESPN.

BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject:

The reason I like JJ is he seems intelligent and also like someone who would call out Bron on his bullsh*t if he got thrown under the bus.

Maybe I'm wrong and he'll be a cuck like everyone else, but that's the impression I get from him.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject:

Balto wrote:
Coach K should sit on the bench with JJ if hired.

He couldn't handle the grind of a 30-ish game college season anymore, he's going to sign up for an 82+ playoffs grind of NBA? He's 77 years old. He wasn't an noted X&Os guy or tactician. He was a brilliant recruiter and a known "leader of men" whose West Point/military style of leadership he knew was not going to translate to the NIL era. And certainly wouldn't have translated to the pros where everyone is making more money than the guy barking at them.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
ocho wrote:
Woj.

Quote:

I'm only down on Nori after reading about his personality. He's apparently a jokey/good-cop style assistant that probably plays well off a strong-willed head coach, but i think wouldn't work in a headcoaching role, especially with an older veteran team. I wouldn't be opposed, and I'd have him ahead of Cassell and Borrego, but I'd rather see Adelman or Quinn.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Palin wrote:
ocho wrote:
Woj.

Quote:

I'm only down on Nori after reading about his personality. He's apparently a jokey/good-cop style assistant that probably plays well off a strong-willed head coach, but i think wouldn't work in a headcoaching role, especially with an older veteran team. I wouldn't be opposed, and I'd have him ahead of Cassell and Borrego, but I'd rather see Adelman or Quinn.

Unless we were winning at a high clip, I feel like Nori’s folksy one-liners would infuriate Laker fans after a short time.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject:

nobody on the potential list will command a high salary, and that's what matters to Jeanie.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Palin wrote:
ocho wrote:
Woj.

Quote:

Unless we were winning at a high clip, I feel like Nori’s folksy one-liners would infuriate Laker fans after a short time.

Lakers fans wanted a coach that won a ring recently fired. They have no mercy lol.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
nobody on the potential list will command a high salary, and that's what matters to Jeanie.

Tbh nobody on the market would command a high salary.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 31 of 47
Jump to: