Russian invasion of Ukraine discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175
 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 39088

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:34 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
So here we are, two years later. Russia has managed to continue to mount offensives and Ukraine continues to hold strong with no end in sight.


As long as nobody sends in reinforcements by this I mean manpower, I don't see Ukraine retaking the territory they lost. Russia is pretty much keeping their gains and as long as they are fighting Ukraine, they cannot join NATO due to the stipulations of the alliance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 17329

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
So here we are, two years later. Russia has managed to continue to mount offensives and Ukraine continues to hold strong with no end in sight.


As long as nobody sends in reinforcements by this I mean manpower, I don't see Ukraine retaking the territory they lost. Russia is pretty much keeping their gains and as long as they are fighting Ukraine, they cannot join NATO due to the stipulations of the alliance.


F-16s will come online for Ukraine this summer. At a minimum, they will shut down Russian cruise missile attacks. Depending on what strings we attach, the Ukrainians can establish air superiority over their skies, which will stop Russian advances on the ground.
_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 39088

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
So here we are, two years later. Russia has managed to continue to mount offensives and Ukraine continues to hold strong with no end in sight.


As long as nobody sends in reinforcements by this I mean manpower, I don't see Ukraine retaking the territory they lost. Russia is pretty much keeping their gains and as long as they are fighting Ukraine, they cannot join NATO due to the stipulations of the alliance.


F-16s will come online for Ukraine this summer. At a minimum, they will shut down Russian cruise missile attacks. Depending on what strings we attach, the Ukrainians can establish air superiority over their skies, which will stop Russian advances on the ground.


The number of F-16's made available to Ukraine is not really going to make much of a difference when Russia has hundreds of Mig-29's and Su-27's at their disposal. Even worse for Ukraine their European allies are basically giving away their old F-16's without all the modern enhancements that most of the newer air forces around the world have. But I guess when you need whatever weapons are available you got to take whats being offered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 53063
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
So here we are, two years later. Russia has managed to continue to mount offensives and Ukraine continues to hold strong with no end in sight.


As long as nobody sends in reinforcements by this I mean manpower, I don't see Ukraine retaking the territory they lost. Russia is pretty much keeping their gains and as long as they are fighting Ukraine, they cannot join NATO due to the stipulations of the alliance.


F-16s will come online for Ukraine this summer. At a minimum, they will shut down Russian cruise missile attacks. Depending on what strings we attach, the Ukrainians can establish air superiority over their skies, which will stop Russian advances on the ground.


Unfortunately it’s not that simple.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 68665
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject:

DELETED WRONG THREAD jodeke
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.


Last edited by jodeke on Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 12781

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:00 am    Post subject:

Now this is an interesting development:

A Breakaway Region of Moldova Asks Russia for Protection


https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/28/world/europe/moldova-russia-transnistria.html
_________________
"A metronome keeps time by using a Ringo"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 17329

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject:

Pope provokes outrage by saying Ukraine should ‘raise white flag’ and end war with Russia

Quote:
Politicians and commentators in Europe expressed outrage after the pontiff gave an interview in which he appeared to stay silent on Russia’s crimes as aggressor in the invasion and placed the onus on Ukraine to make peace.


Shame on Pope Francis. Just brings up reminders of Pope Pius XI supporting Mussolini, Franco & Hitler.
_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 68665
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:03 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Pope provokes outrage by saying Ukraine should ‘raise white flag’ and end war with Russia

Quote:
Politicians and commentators in Europe expressed outrage after the pontiff gave an interview in which he appeared to stay silent on Russia’s crimes as aggressor in the invasion and placed the onus on Ukraine to make peace.


Shame on Pope Francis. Just brings up reminders of Pope Pius XI supporting Mussolini, Franco & Hitler.


I don't think the Pope is supporting Putin. I read him speaking from a religious humanitarian position. IMO he completely removed politics from the equation.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 53063
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:04 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Pope provokes outrage by saying Ukraine should ‘raise white flag’ and end war with Russia

Quote:
Politicians and commentators in Europe expressed outrage after the pontiff gave an interview in which he appeared to stay silent on Russia’s crimes as aggressor in the invasion and placed the onus on Ukraine to make peace.


Shame on Pope Francis. Just brings up reminders of Pope Pius XI supporting Mussolini, Franco & Hitler.


Yeah, the onus for bringing peace obviously lies with Putin as the invader, not the innocent state of Ukraine. aligning oneself with the aggressor by calling on those under attack to surrender is completely pandering to Putin's Russia.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 17378
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Zelenskyy warns Russia has penetrated U.S. politics, invites Trump to Ukraine

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy of Ukraine warned in an interview that Russian influence had pierced the American political system and rejected the idea, backed by allies of Donald Trump, that Ukraine could swiftly end the war just by making massive territorial concessions.

But Zelenskyy said Tuesday that he had privately urged Trump through intermediaries to travel to Ukraine and that Trump had expressed interest but had not yet committed to making a trip. Zelenskyy said he was open to hearing Trump’s proposals for the war, while making clear he was highly skeptical.

“If the deal is that we just give up our territories, and that’s the idea behind it, then it’s a very primitive idea,” Zelenskyy said in an interview with Axel Springer media outlets. POLITICO is owned by Axel Springer.

Zelenskyy continued: “I need very strong arguments. I don’t need a fantastic idea, I need a real idea, because people’s lives are at stake.”

Any deal that merely gave up land to Russian President Vladimir Putin in exchange for an end to hostilities, Zelenskyy said, would just open the way for more Russian wars of conquest in the future. A negotiated peace, he said, had to leave the Russian despot “no room to carry out his plans.”

[...]

The fate of Ukraine may well hang in the balance in the U.S. election. And as a massive aid package languishes in the Republican-controlled U.S. House of Representatives, Zelenskyy predicted that Putin would demolish Ukrainian cities and butcher hundreds of thousands of people if the Russian military were to prevail in the war.

In recent weeks, two Republican lawmakers who support aiding Ukraine — Reps. Mike Turner of Ohio and Mike McCaul of Texas — have declared that pro-Russian propaganda has filtered into the thinking of some members of Congress.

Asked about that claim, Zelenskyy said it understated the problem of Russian influence in democracies like the United States.

“They have their lobbies everywhere: in the United States, in the EU countries, in Britain, in Latin America, in Africa,” Zelenskyy said of Russia. “When we talk about the Congress — do you notice how they work with society in the United States?”

Russia, he said, had succeeded in warping “the information field of the world.” Without naming names, Zelenskyy claimed that American citizens were effectively doing Russia’s work within the U.S. media.

“They pump their narratives through the media,” Zelenskyy said. “These are not Russian citizens or natives of Russia, no. They are representatives of certain media groups, citizens of the United States. They are the ones in the media with the appropriate messages, sometimes very pro-Russian.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/09/zelenskyy-invites-trump-ukraine-russia-00151310
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 17329

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Quote:
Zelenskyy warns Russia has penetrated U.S. politics, invites Trump to Ukraine

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy of Ukraine warned in an interview that Russian influence had pierced the American political system and rejected the idea, backed by allies of Donald Trump, that Ukraine could swiftly end the war just by making massive territorial concessions.

But Zelenskyy said Tuesday that he had privately urged Trump through intermediaries to travel to Ukraine and that Trump had expressed interest but had not yet committed to making a trip. Zelenskyy said he was open to hearing Trump’s proposals for the war, while making clear he was highly skeptical.

“If the deal is that we just give up our territories, and that’s the idea behind it, then it’s a very primitive idea,” Zelenskyy said in an interview with Axel Springer media outlets. POLITICO is owned by Axel Springer.

Zelenskyy continued: “I need very strong arguments. I don’t need a fantastic idea, I need a real idea, because people’s lives are at stake.”

Any deal that merely gave up land to Russian President Vladimir Putin in exchange for an end to hostilities, Zelenskyy said, would just open the way for more Russian wars of conquest in the future. A negotiated peace, he said, had to leave the Russian despot “no room to carry out his plans.”

[...]

The fate of Ukraine may well hang in the balance in the U.S. election. And as a massive aid package languishes in the Republican-controlled U.S. House of Representatives, Zelenskyy predicted that Putin would demolish Ukrainian cities and butcher hundreds of thousands of people if the Russian military were to prevail in the war.

In recent weeks, two Republican lawmakers who support aiding Ukraine — Reps. Mike Turner of Ohio and Mike McCaul of Texas — have declared that pro-Russian propaganda has filtered into the thinking of some members of Congress.

Asked about that claim, Zelenskyy said it understated the problem of Russian influence in democracies like the United States.

“They have their lobbies everywhere: in the United States, in the EU countries, in Britain, in Latin America, in Africa,” Zelenskyy said of Russia. “When we talk about the Congress — do you notice how they work with society in the United States?”

Russia, he said, had succeeded in warping “the information field of the world.” Without naming names, Zelenskyy claimed that American citizens were effectively doing Russia’s work within the U.S. media.

“They pump their narratives through the media,” Zelenskyy said. “These are not Russian citizens or natives of Russia, no. They are representatives of certain media groups, citizens of the United States. They are the ones in the media with the appropriate messages, sometimes very pro-Russian.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/09/zelenskyy-invites-trump-ukraine-russia-00151310


Duh.

At least some GOPers are acknowledging it. I believe the Hamas attack on 10-7 was also fueled by Putin to take attention & resources away from the effort to support Ukraine.
_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
32
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 73422

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
“Ukraine is making it increasingly difficult for Russia to hang on to illegally annexed Crimea thanks to an ongoing campaign that's targeting air defenses, rail links and water connections.”


https://x.com/michaeldweiss/status/1796938883004862660?t=Yn8h52K8lGm6no6rM-WZMg&s=19
_________________
Nobody in the NBA can touch the Laker brand, which, like the uniform color, is pure gold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175
Page 175 of 175
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB