JJ Redick is Officially named 29th Lakers Head Coach (NO POLITICAL DISCUSSION)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 212, 213, 214  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:27 pm    Post subject:

A leopard can not change her spots.
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
jb2 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
The offer was fair. It reminds me of vultures who try to buy desirable off market properties of mine. I tell them, if they want to buy this property that is not for sale, they will have to pay above market. And the vulture asks “how about fair market value?”. Umm, no thanks.

I guess the offer was good enough for Hurley to fly out with his wife, but the number Woj gave us was lower than all the speculated offers over the weekend.

Again it seems like Jeanie made an offer where she said, if I can make the deal at this price, I’ll take it, and if I can’t, I have no problem passing. She wasn’t willing to get in to a bidding war and snatch that (bleep) asset.

Let's go with the RE analogy..

Do you want to just keep overbidding so far beyond market value for something you have no inspection contingency on?

Like him or not, Hurley is as inexperienced an NBA coach as JJ. We have no idea how he'd do as an NBA coach. His temperament is one thing for 18-22 year olds who need that foot up their asses but grown men worth hundreds of millions with kids, wives, businesses, etc? I was always dubious about that.

Well if it’s a neighborhood you are really dead set on, and one of the hottest houses on the block, most sophisticated real estate investors are okay without an inspection contingency. So maybe there is a foundation issue, but you’re a sophisticated investor with relationships with many contractors. You end up spending a little more than you thought, but in the end, you own one of the best houses in one of the best neighborhoods.

And yes the college attitude is more than fair and a bit concerning. I really valued Paul Pierces feedback because he was drafted out of college to play for the Rick Pitino led Celtics. Paul didn’t realize there was anything wrong with Pitinos coaching and practice style because he didn’t know any better. But he overheard the veterans laughing at Pitino in the locker room and ridiculing the program as unprofessional, and a college level program rather than a professional franchise. As Paul experienced more head coaches he understood what those vets meant, and that the NBA is a player run league.

We also don’t have many successful college coaches in recent history. Even Brad Stevens took 10 years plus a disciple to win a ring (potentially). So maybe Jeanie was right to have the take it or leave it attitude.

But circling back, the Lakers have something like $65M in profits, they are not a first time home buyer taking a big risk on a house with no inspection contingency. If they buy the house and learn there is a structural issue later, they have more than enough profits to absorb that loss. You have to take some risks and gamble. Like the guy at CopyMat said in Jerry McGuire, “ That's how you become great, man. Hang your balls out there!”.

I wanted to argue the real estate comp more but you got me with the last line lol

I personally think they made a very strong offer - all things considered. Pulling a Detroit and throwing money at a guy til he accepts is a flawed way to approach leadership. But, I think what's more important for me is that Rob and Jeanie did the most Anti-Rob & Jeanie thing in going after Hurley in the first place. Perhaps they're learning because unfortunately they're not selling,
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:50 pm    Post subject:

jb2 wrote:

I wanted to argue the real estate comp more but you got me with the last line lol

I personally think they made a very strong offer - all things considered. Pulling a Detroit and throwing money at a guy til he accepts is a flawed way to approach leadership. But, I think what's more important for me is that Rob and Jeanie did the most Anti-Rob & Jeanie thing in going after Hurley in the first place. Perhaps they're learning because unfortunately they're not selling,

lol! It’s a great quote isn’t it? In a vacuum it seems like a very strong offer, but if the Kentucky offer is true, it isn’t much different than the offer he has already turned down. And if you start factoring in state taxes and cost of living, it could be less. So Jeanie and Rob made the fair market value offer and hoped Hurley valued the opportunity to coach the Lakers in the NBA enough to take it.

You can’t go around throwing the kitchen sink at every potential deal. And most wealthy people don’t. They offer market value with no attachment, but every once in a while they see something they really want and decide to throw money that can’t be refused. For Jeanie and Ron, Hurley was not that special asset.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Meanwhile in Dodgerland, the Dodgers give a pitcher who has never thrown a pitch in the MLB the largest contract ever for a pitcher, and they get him.

Not saying they needed to make him the highest paid coach in the league, but he needed to be top 3 at least.
Startrout
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Why are people arguing about the money the Lakers offered him? If he wanted to be the Lakers (or an NBA) coach, he would be. It wasn’t about the money. He said it was a very tough decision, but he just didn’t want to leave the life he has already. Understandable and no one’s fault. Let’s move on to what’s next.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:02 pm    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Quote:
"You know, the thing about this franchise is that you shouldn't need recruiting to come in it," Bryant said. "It takes a special person to want to play for this franchise, and take the pressure that comes along with playing for this franchise. The pressure of following Magic [Johnson]'s footsteps, myself and the dynasty that we've had, it takes a special person to do that.

"And if I need to convince you come here, to carry that legacy forward, then you ain't the one to be it."

Those cliche days are over man. And this Kobe worshipping by Jeanie is how we're here with seemingly no alternative to Pelinka. Because there isn't another candidate out there with a Kobe 20 yr friendship on his resume.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:
Why are people arguing about the money the Lakers offered him? If he wanted to be the Lakers (or an NBA) coach, he would be. It wasn’t about the money. He said it was a very tough decision, but he just didn’t want to leave the life he has already. Understandable and no one’s fault. Let’s move on to what’s next.

Jeannie's (bleep) offer made Hurley's decision a piece of cake.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
Startrout wrote:

It is not about the money.

The Lakers were prepared to increase the offer. This was a negotiation.

If he wanted the job and more money, I heard that the Lakers were prepared to increase its offer.

It was a big risk. The Lakers should have known that they were going to get played and that he did not want to come here.

Again poor decision by the management.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:51 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
I don't mind them chasing Hurley. At least they were looking for a long-term solution. And they did offer him a decent chunk of change, not enough to pry him away, but it wasn't a lowball offer either.

I do have a problem with how it played it out in the press though. It told all other candidates they were lower priority, while also telling them they were willing to pay over $11m a year for a coach, and that may make their eventual value hire ask for more money. Then to add insult to injury they leaked out shots at other coaching candidates during the process. If they go through all that and land their guy, more power to them. After whiffing on him though, their options are worse than they were before.

What happens now? Do they go back to Reddick, after they let it leak out that multiple players thought he was too cocky? They've just given him leverage, while at the same time undermining his credibility before he's even hired.

Good take. And not much to look forward to, I'm afraid.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:51 pm    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
Startrout wrote:

It is not about the money.

The Lakers were prepared to increase the offer. This was a negotiation.

If he wanted the job and more money, I heard that the Lakers were prepared to increase its offer.

It was a big risk. The Lakers should have known that they were going to get played and that he did not want to come here.

Again poor decision by the management.

It's easy to say it's not about the money when it's close. Rob and Jeannie needed to come into this thing ready to test and find out if "it's really not about the money." I don't understand the part about they were prepared to offer more. The guy went home to make a decision, so that was their final offer. That was it, 6 yrs 70 million and a whole bunch of time wasted.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:54 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
jb2 wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
The offer was fair. It reminds me of vultures who try to buy desirable off market properties of mine. I tell them, if they want to buy this property that is not for sale, they will have to pay above market. And the vulture asks “how about fair market value?”. Umm, no thanks.

I guess the offer was good enough for Hurley to fly out with his wife, but the number Woj gave us was lower than all the speculated offers over the weekend.

Again it seems like Jeanie made an offer where she said, if I can make the deal at this price, I’ll take it, and if I can’t, I have no problem passing. She wasn’t willing to get in to a bidding war and snatch that (bleep) asset.

Let's go with the RE analogy..

Do you want to just keep overbidding so far beyond market value for something you have no inspection contingency on?

Like him or not, Hurley is as inexperienced an NBA coach as JJ. We have no idea how he'd do as an NBA coach. His temperament is one thing for 18-22 year olds who need that foot up their asses but grown men worth hundreds of millions with kids, wives, businesses, etc? I was always dubious about that.
Well if it’s a neighborhood you are really dead set on, and one of the hottest houses on the block, most sophisticated real estate investors are okay without an inspection contingency. So maybe there is a foundation issue, but you’re a sophisticated investor with relationships with many contractors. You end up spending a little more than you thought, but in the end, you own one of the best houses in one of the best neighborhoods.

And yes the college attitude is more than fair and a bit concerning. I really valued Paul Pierces feedback because he was drafted out of college to play for the Rick Pitino led Celtics. Paul didn’t realize there was anything wrong with Pitinos coaching and practice style because he didn’t know any better. But he overheard the veterans laughing at Pitino in the locker room and ridiculing the program as unprofessional, and a college level program rather than a professional franchise. As Paul experienced more head coaches he understood what those vets meant, and that the NBA is a player run league.

We also don’t have many successful college coaches in recent history. Even Brad Stevens took 10 years plus a disciple to win a ring (potentially). So maybe Jeanie was right to have the take it or leave it attitude.

But circling back, the Lakers have something like $65M in profits, they are not a first time home buyer taking a big risk on a house with no inspection contingency. If they buy the house and learn there is a structural issue later, they have more than enough profits to absorb that loss. You have to take some risks and gamble. Like the guy at CopyMat said in Jerry McGuire, “ That's how you become great, man. Hang your balls out there!”.
Seth Greenberg provided some insightful insights that are interesting given that he was one of the last people to talk to him about the job. He shared that having a "Heart-to-Heart" talk with his wife would help him decide what decision he should make. Seth shared that this was a Hurley Family Decision and they deserve that right.

In addition, Seth shared that he would have to make large adjustments to adapt to the NBA and compare that to the major year-round grind collegiate coaches go through when they are off the court (i.e. recruiting, boosters, etc.).

Seth shared that the offer (it was a major offer, if the figures are correct) that would make him one of the highest paid coaches in the NBA.

Props to Jeanie and Rob, it was a bold move with a look toward continuing a legacy - Kudos

Offer also proved that Jeanie has ok'd major monies for a HC she believes in.

Will J.J. be another broadcaster like Riles to be a legendary coach, or a flop like all the others

Will Borrega be an offensive mastermind that can elevate AD's play?

Amazing that we are playing The Finals and the Lakers' HC scenario is getting heavily reported on that confirms the legendary status of our Lakers
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:06 am    Post subject:

Don’t know why we are hating on not getting Hurley. The FO being able keep there main target quiet for a long time, having a vision on what they want moving forward and actually doing due diligence on who to hire makes me feel good that the FO is making progress. Out are the days where we and everybody knows what the FO are doing and targeting. I am not too down on Pelinka like most cause I see he has a vision and a plan A B or C and he seems to be learning from past mistakes. Lost on Lue (trying to match LBJ contract), but got Vogel as a backup, Pivot from Kawhi and built a team that won a championship. Got the 2 best six man on the team the following year only to lose due to injuries. His worst decision is listening to LBJ and AD to get Russ, but somehow got a deal no one knows possible with Vando/DLo/Beas/Rui and got us to the conference final. This year I still believe we had a good roster if we only have a coach that can make adjustments (missing Vando and Gabe really hurts). I know we didn’t get out main choice of coach but I still feel the FO will pivot properly to Plan B or C and give us the best chance moving forward.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:29 am    Post subject:

I don't think it was about the money either and I don't understand why they would they make him an 6/70 offer without him saying he wanted the job. It turns out he didn't want it and now they look foolish and the narrative is that they were spurned. If he needed a financial guideline to assist in his decision- making they could have told him they would pay him a salary that would be in the top 5 for NBA coaches as a starting point and that they were open to negotiation.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:18 am    Post subject:

Startrout wrote:

If it wasn't about the money and that he would remain at UConn regardless of what the Lakers offer, then why would he bother to make the trip out here for an interview?

You mean to tell me that if the Lakers had offered something like 8 yr/$100M that Hurley would still turn it down? And you believe everything that comes out of Hurley's mouth?
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:25 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
Don’t know why we are hating on not getting Hurley. The FO being able keep there main target quiet for a long time, having a vision on what they want moving forward and actually doing due diligence on who to hire makes me feel good that the FO is making progress. Out are the days where we and everybody knows what the FO are doing and targeting. I am not too down on Pelinka like most cause I see he has a vision and a plan A B or C and he seems to be learning from past mistakes. Lost on Lue (trying to match LBJ contract), but got Vogel as a backup, Pivot from Kawhi and built a team that won a championship. Got the 2 best six man on the team the following year only to lose due to injuries. His worst decision is listening to LBJ and AD to get Russ, but somehow got a deal no one knows possible with Vando/DLo/Beas/Rui and got us to the conference final. This year I still believe we had a good roster if we only have a coach that can make adjustments (missing Vando and Gabe really hurts). I know we didn’t get out main choice of coach but I still feel the FO will pivot properly to Plan B or C and give us the best chance moving forward.

If Pelinka had done his "due diligence", then this would have never happened. Either we would get Hurley after the interview or nobody would have known about our interview with Hurley. THAT would have been good due diligence. If Pelinka had done his due diligence, then he wouldn't have let Hurley make a mockery out of the Lakers like this.

Apparently, Pelinka missed the part where Hurley never wanted to leave UConn in the first place or that Jeanie's max offer would not be enough to persuade Hurley to leave his current very good situation in UConn.

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:38 am; edited 1 time in total
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:36 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Startrout wrote:

If it wasn't about the money and that he would remain at UConn regardless of what the Lakers offer, then why would he bother to make the trip out here for an interview?

You mean to tell me that if the Lakers had offered something like 8 yr/$100M that Hurley would still turn it down? And you believe everything that comes out of Hurley's mouth?

And if it wasn’t about the money then it was about using the Lakers as leverage. The entire way this was portrayed was Hurley was interviewing the Lakers not the other way around.

Bottom line, you don’t make an offer to someone who doesn’t want the job. You should be savvy enough to detect that. Once it gets to the offer stage you just keep going up until they say yes because they eventually will otherwise you wouldn’t be at the offer stage!

Either way this looks bad on the Lakers. It was either:

1) They were too naive and stupid to realize they were being used
2) Their offer was not enough to convince Hurley. From both a money perspective as well as control perspective (which hadn’t really been disclosed)

Either way it makes them look silly and amateurish
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:39 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

If Pelinka had done his "due diligence", then this would have never happened. Either we would get Hurley after the interview or nobody would have known about our interview with Hurley. THAT would have been good due diligence. If Pelinka had done his due diligence, then he wouldn't have let Hurley make a mockery out of the Lakers like this.

Apparently, Pelinka missed the part where Hurley never wanted to leave UConn in the first place or that Jeanie's max offer would not be enough to persuade Hurley to leave his current very good situation in UConn.

This
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:42 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Startrout wrote:

And if it wasn’t about the money then it was about using the Lakers as leverage. The entire way this was portrayed was Hurley was interviewing the Lakers not the other way around.

Bottom line, you don’t make an offer to someone who doesn’t want the job. You should be savvy enough to detect that. Once it gets to the offer stage you just keep going up until they say yes because they eventually will otherwise you wouldn’t be at the offer stage!

2) Their offer was not enough to convince Hurley. From both a money perspective as well as control perspective (which hadn’t really been disclosed)

It really does. Makes them look absolutely terrible. It's not just as simple as not getting Hurley. It's about Pelinka getting played. Astute Laker fans should not try to defend Pelinka here because if we keep incompetent people around in the front office, then we will remain a bad team.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:04 am    Post subject:

My guess it it's page 163 before we get back to talking about the next coaching move
svettarsalo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:11 am    Post subject:

Stop blaming Buss Family. No qualified coach would want to work with Lebron. That's it.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:43 am    Post subject:

svettarsalo wrote:
Stop blaming Buss Family. No qualified coach would want to work with Lebron. That's it.

Technically it's on Jeannie and Pelinka, because they are keeping Lebron. We should have already moved on from him. We got the ring, now Shaq his ass out!
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:47 am    Post subject:

You guys see the title of the ESPN headline article this morning?

Lol.

Quote:
Lakers are embarrassed now, but they can recover after Hurley's rejection

The failed pursuit of Dan Hurley is embarrassing for the Lakers, but what they do next will be more important.

16hBrian Windhorst

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40322582/dan-hurley-head-coach-rejection-stings-pain-linger-lakers
Cyberfreak444
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:00 am    Post subject:

svettarsalo wrote:

Then why are so many qualified coaches (well-regarded assistant coaches and former head coaches) who are applying for the job?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:08 am    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
You guys see the title of the ESPN headline article this morning?

Lol.

Quote:
Lakers are embarrassed now, but they can recover after Hurley's rejection

The failed pursuit of Dan Hurley is embarrassing for the Lakers, but what they do next will be more important.

16hBrian Windhorst

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/40322582/dan-hurley-head-coach-rejection-stings-pain-linger-lakers

“What they do next will be more important” is easy to say without looking at the coaching pool. We missed out on our top choice in very public fashion. The best available coach is someone we can’t hire because we already fired him a couple years ago. So unless there’s another surprise wrinkle to this we are choosing between a broadcaster and the fired former coach of the lowly Hornets. One of them has a losing record while the other has never coached a game and neither has ever coached a playoff game. The Lakers themselves were so uninspired by these choices they went for the Hail Mary play for Hurley. At this point the bar for improving upon Ham, as low as it is, may very well not be cleared.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2024 6:11 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Startrout wrote:

It really does. Makes them look absolutely terrible. It's not just as simple as not getting Hurley. It's about Pelinka getting played. Astute Laker fans should not try to defend Pelinka here because if we keep incompetent people around in the front office, then we will remain a bad team.

That's exactly right. This keeps happening to Rob and Jeannie. They don't do their due diligence when vetting. Hurley was never coming. He owns college basketball right now. Zero chance he would leave a position that fits his style, his personality. If Jeannie and Rob had done their due diligence they would've known there was no shot and saved the embarrassment. They should pursue coaches that definitely have the Laker coaching position as their dream job or on top of their list. Everyone now knows whoever comes was not their number one choice. Just like Vogel never was. Just like Kawahi was never coming. And now Hurley. We are in desperate need of true leadership. It's really a shame we're this organization is at this point.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 143, 144, 145 ... 212, 213, 214  Next
Page 144 of 214
Jump to: