Alternative therapies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: Alternative therapies

Has anyone tried alternative therapies for depression, anxiety etc? Reading a lot about ketamine and the reviews seem to be more positive than not.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:03 am    Post subject:

I don't know much about ketamine. In my mid 40's I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder a serious mental illness. I refused medication and started taking lots of vitamins/supplements with occasional Marijuana. That was a big mistake and it didn't work. I finally surrendered to taking traditional medication and I'm doing much better. I also have anxiety. Anxiety is generally thinking about the future to much. Deep breathing and training my mind to stay in the present moment helps alot. Good luck. I hope you find peace and balance.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Be really really really careful with ketamine. Some good results but a lot issues with habituation and the need for stronger dosage. Has led to a lot of deaths. Matthew Perry a great example in the celebrity world. Lots not known and a really potent substance.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Full disclosure: I suffer from chronic ptsd, depression, and anxiety. There are no quick or simple fixes. I almost ended my life a year and a half ago and I’m still struggling at times. But some short term anxiety meds, longer term antidepressants, therapy, meditation, lifestyle and habit changes, and even some woo woo like men’s circle (complete with a yurt and sage smudging) have really helped me find my way to management and even some peace. And golf with daMule and finding purpose helping others and a great life partner are a huge piece of it too. Love my bro Mule. He helped a lot even when he didn’t know it.
I Bleed P&G
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Full disclosure: I suffer from chronic ptsd, depression, and anxiety. There are no quick or simple fixes. I almost ended my life a year and a half ago and I’m still struggling at times. But some short term anxiety meds, longer term antidepressants, therapy, meditation, lifestyle and habit changes, and even some woo woo like men’s circle (complete with a yurt and sage smudging) have really helped me find my way to management and even some peace. And golf with daMule and finding purpose helping others and a great life partner are a huge piece of it too. Love my bro Mule. He helped a lot even when he didn’t know it.

That’s good to hear that you are doing well. Props to the brother helping in during your tuff times.

I have been dealing with anxiety for over 20 years, and I have to agree with Omar that there are no quick or simple fixes. The best and most honest thing I can tell you is that it will get better with time. Speaking from my personal experience with anxiety, you will gain a better understanding of your triggers and how to cope with them.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:13 pm    Post subject:

I Bleed P&G wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

That’s good to hear that you are doing well. Props to the brother helping in during your tuff times.

I have been dealing with anxiety for over 20 years, and I have to agree with Omar that there are no quick or simple fixes. The best and most honest thing I can tell you is that it will get better with time. Speaking from my personal experience with anxiety, you will gain a better understanding of your triggers and how to cope with them.

Thanks for sharing. I learned another key to getting better is feeling like it’s ok to ask for help. So I’m more open about my struggle so maybe someone else doesn’t feel alone and hopeless. Reach out folks. It’s ok.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:08 pm    Post subject:

I've never done psychedelics, but I really believe they have therapeutic potential for the mental issues mentioned in this thread. They're finally starting to do research on them, and maybe in certain people they can work better than those potentially dangerous and/or addictive prescription meds.

I went to school with a guy who's now a clinical psychologist, and he's involved with something called Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, which does research into psychedelics and advocates for their legalization and responsible use.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I've never done psychedelics, but I really believe they have therapeutic potential for the mental issues mentioned in this thread. They're finally starting to do research on them, and maybe in certain people they can work better than those potentially dangerous and/or addictive prescription meds.

I went to school with a guy who's now a clinical psychologist, and he's involved with something called Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies, which does research into psychedelics and advocates for their legalization and responsible use.

Yeah, it’s gs kind of like cannabis in that the stupid rules have kept us from really understanding them on a clinical level, and it’s really hard when some guy named Avocado is telling you they work.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject:

I appreciate the feedback. I did not know that it may have contributed to Matt s death. The idea of a Bad trip is scary even though there could be a benefit.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: