Should Jeanie sell the team?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
it's as clear as sky now, why are we even debating this. Jeannie Buss and Phil jackson will use Klutch and Vogel as scapgoat this off season, not saying they don't deserve it, but they're not the only reason Lakers are in current shape. after that she will sell fans the Laker family values by hire back phil jackson (VP of bball operation), Rambis (head coach). i believe she will stay with Pelinka as GM because 1. he just carries out whatever order she and Phil give him, and 2. Pelinka can be the 2nd scapgoat in a couple years to buy the new regime more time.

I don't think that PJ is coming back on a full-time basis, and I don't think that Rambis is going to become the head coach. I do think that Vogel will be put out of his misery and that Pelinka will survive.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject:

And as for the thread title, it isn’t Jeanie’s team to sell.
Sytze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Incredible that the only non-Laker related staff member who BROUGHT US A CHAMPIONSHIP is going to get scape goated to "appease" the masses. The reality is, Vogel is one of the last guys who needs to be removed, and the top needs to be culled but we know Jeanie doesn't have the guts to do that.

Klutch has done enough damage to the team as well; give repped players the bag and watch them coast. We'll pay the Le-Klutch players, but our important role players and championship mentality players are shown the door for luxury tax reasons. I don't know where to put Pelinka on this list, but he strikes me as the guy to have some sort of backbone and can pull off many offseason moves that leaves him severely short handed during the regular season.

The sad reality of it all is that the Buss family will keep the team, and continue this charade until even Lebron is out of contract and we are left with the remnants of this era. I know people are still defending her and the championship most recently, but you cannot tell me this downward spiral we put ourselves in is optimal. Aren't you tired of hearing the same handful of ex-Laker names over and over making decisions?
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
paymonM wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Vas!

Jeanie inherited her role and control of the team. She surrounds herself in the front office with people she considers family. Wanting her to make decisions based on merit is unrealistic. She may be a nice person and even care deeply about the Lakers (many accounts suggest those things are true). But she brings people onboard in her own image, because they’re known, not because they’re knowledgeable.

Except she won a ring 2 seasons ago because of the people she surrounded herself with.

this is your owner. This is the face of the franchise:

https://twitter.com/JeanieBuss/photo

sometimes somethings are pretty simple .....

And so what? She poised naked for Playboy and she's not ashamed of her body or her sexuality.

I don't see how this says anything about her capabilities of as a owner.

I mean, Michael Jordan makes commercials wearing only underwear. Does the same criticism apply to him, or does it only apply to women?

Her capability as an owner is on display. It's a franchise in disarray. It's even made it to SNL.

The twitter feed points to a lack of judgement regardless of whether it's a male or a female. But hey, if you wanna make it a double standard or a "sexist" thing, just imagine if a male owner of a franchise was sleeping with the head coach ...., oh wait, I guess you don't have to imagine.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Jeanie’s amazing. She is getting Magic and Phil consulting for free and likely underpaying Kurt for what sounds like a PBO role as a “Senior Advisor”. Plus, she has LeBron and Klutch working as assistant GMs. My God, her influence over these folks is saving her millions in actual management costs.

What a role model for International Women’s Day. Congrats Jeanie!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:55 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
activeverb wrote:
paymonM wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Vas!

Jeanie inherited her role and control of the team. She surrounds herself in the front office with people she considers family. Wanting her to make decisions based on merit is unrealistic. She may be a nice person and even care deeply about the Lakers (many accounts suggest those things are true). But she brings people onboard in her own image, because they’re known, not because they’re knowledgeable.

Except she won a ring 2 seasons ago because of the people she surrounded herself with.

this is your owner. This is the face of the franchise:

https://twitter.com/JeanieBuss/photo

sometimes somethings are pretty simple .....

And so what? She poised naked for Playboy and she's not ashamed of her body or her sexuality.

I don't see how this says anything about her capabilities of as a owner.

I mean, Michael Jordan makes commercials wearing only underwear. Does the same criticism apply to him, or does it only apply to women?

Her capability as an owner is on display. It's a franchise in disarray. It's even made it to SNL.

The twitter feed points to a lack of judgement regardless of whether it's a male or a female. But hey, if you wanna make it a double standard or a "sexist" thing, just imagine if a male owner of a franchise was sleeping with the head coach ...., oh wait, I guess you don't have to imagine.

You're all over the place here.

And, yes, I do think you were using a sexist double-standard.

I find it shameful myself. And I am happy you got absolutely no attention for it, other than the censure from me.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

But she would have to be on board if the team was to be sold.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Not necessarily
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject:

If you want Russ as your ball handler, you need five out spacing. Davis destroyed that by wanting to play PF, asking for Jordan to be the Center, and turning into the worst three point shooter in the game (17%). I’m not sure there are alignments where Russ is good anymore, but in that setup, he’s near futile. Compound that with the lack of quality depth, injury/Covid absences, a slew of outsized player entitlements and lack of continuity, and there are no mysteries as to why we were so bad. As that failed to work, Bron fell back to what he knew which was taking the ball. His injuries and a general lack of night to night player availability made that a losing proposition too.

They never really got their footing as a unit and the entire organization fractured before they had really exhausted their full window to fix things. That’s why we have this extended garbage time of the season. An under told part of this story is how accountability and leadership are in very short supply in this organization. That’s nothing new and I maintain that’s an issue that starts at the top. But understandably people focus in the symptoms, not the cause (which admittedly can be harder to agree on).

Jeanie recently said Pelinka has her unwavering loyalty. That’s probably the right thing to say publicly. Privately, she needs to be working double time on bringing in someone who can reset the culture and create better organizational accountability. We’re bankrupt in that department and everyone - players, agents, teams, fans - all know it. Phil Jackson and Magic Johnson aren’t the answer either. Jeanie needs to reach beyond her comfort zone and find someone really ready to bring respect back to the organization. I sincerely hope she has the guile to make it happen.
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Not necessarily

true. 66% ownership by the Buss family, each child has 11% ownership. Not knowing the dynamics within their family, but, if there is enough infighting, it's possible that enough Buss family members can push for a sale.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject:

bump, cuz someone asked for a complaint thread, lol
Zillethai
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject:

She's going to sell the team to Lebron James when he retires
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject:

I can't make the determination if the Buss's should sell. It is up to them.

I'm for them keeping their lineage that their father worked for in the family.

I don't think emotional fans should dictate that.

I think the emotional fans that want her to sell could be fans of another franchise that better suits their enjoyment.

Why be apart of this franchise, if you don't appreciate it?

If it isn't entertaining for you, you shouldn't put yourself through misery. You should be entertained by another franchise.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
I can't make the determination if the Buss's should sell. It is up to them.

I'm for them keeping their lineage that their father worked for in the family.

I don't think emotional fans should dictate that.

I think the emotional fans that want her to sell could be fans of another franchise that better suits their enjoyment.

Why be apart of this franchise, if you don't appreciate it?

If it isn't entertaining for you, you shouldn't put yourself through misery. You should be entertained by another franchise.

We're for them selling because the NBA landscape has changed from the days of Dr. Buss. We lifelong LA residents and fans see what the Guggenheim group is doing with our Dodgers, and we want the same type of group running the Lakers.

It's not just emotional, there's a lot of logic too; For example, the league's economics are different now. The team that won the rings this year obviously understands that, and operates accordingly. While compensating their young pillars, they also quickly snatched Holiday off the market, and locked him up. The same with White & Porky. They're playing chess.

We're not fans of any other team but the Lakers. Many of us are super long term fans. We ain't for another team, and we ain't going nowhere!

We do appreciate the team, we're just not fans of how its' currently run.

We're most entertained by the fact that we have history on our side. We ain't going nowhere because we believe that the franchise will turn things around, especially post Klutch, and probably, post Buss'.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject:

The team is her whole identity as she is nepo baby who never accomplished anything on her own.

Of course they should sell, but she likes the ego stroking too much to ever do that. Maybe another brutal 5-6 year "rebuilding" period will be enough to topple this regime.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:45 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
The team is her whole identity as she is nepo baby who never accomplished anything on her own.

Of course they should sell, but she likes the ego stroking too much to ever do that. Maybe another brutal 5-6 year "rebuilding" period will be enough to topple this regime.

First she has to understand that this team is better off in someone else’s hands. Does she recognize this yet? Ok let’s miraculously assume she does. She then has to put her ego aside and realize the best thing for this franchise is a sale. Most likely she would rather fight and “figure” it out instead.

The more likely scenario is a world where she still thinks this team is better off with the Buss family. This is someone that has always gotten what they wanted/been “better” than everyone else/never failed at anything, because which nepo baby in their mind really does/ and someone that has never heard no for an answer.

Sources: I am a nepo baby.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Do we like the new owners and/or the new NBA deals

Cs’ ownership will be selling the majority shares. Good financial decision to Buy Low and Sell High - noting the astronomical record-breaking luxury tax they will face in one year.

What success has Balmer achieved, though it gave him a “reason” build So-Fi Arena

What success has Ishla (Suns Owner) have achieved with his NBA moves

We are seeing the Nuggets team fading away with the departure of Brown and KCP

Are the Dubs a legitimate title contending team

Where are the Bucks

Finally the Knicks’ fortunes are changing

Jeanie is not cheap, just check the stats on the monies she has spent

MLB has a completely different financial structures that allow teams like the Yankees and Dodgers thrive

Memories are short that have quickly forgotten the days when Fox, then Frank McCourt, owned the Dodgers

With Jeanie, yes - it is her life, passion and legacy that is her top priority.

With the vast majority of the other NBA owners, it’s just another play thing where money is no problem hence they don’t care about any consequences of bad trades/moves (especially if at the end of the day, there is a great financial rewards like Balmer’s So-Fi Arena/Stadium to Cuban’s participation in a large real estate project to the C’s ownership to reap countless millions of dollars in profits)

Would a potential future owner honors the Black Mamba and Magic like Jeanie - nope. See how the Clips treated Blake Griffin or the Dubs’ treatment of Klay.

With the Mavs being in The Finals (Lakers had a legitimate chance to beat them in the playoffs) and 6 different teams winning then ring . . .

Be Careful of What One is Asking For
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Should she? Hell yes.
Will she? Unlikely
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

<snip>

Be Careful of What One is Asking For

I'm asking for taking the Laker-exceptionalism-blinders off, the humility to recognize that the best talent, the best thinkers may be outside of the Laker hemisphere - she of all people should know this considering where Tex Winter/Phil Jackson came from!
I'm asking for hiring the best irrespective of whether they're your friends or neighbors or Laker-have-beens.
I'm asking for sane decision making as taught/practiced by businessmen/business-executives the world over.
I'm asking for being accountable, for accepting responsibility - not just acknowledging mistakes (that's easy) but demonstrating that one's actually learnt from them.
Whether she achieves this by selling, or by transforming herself, I don't care.
But that's what I'm asking for.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Yes...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: