Who are your favorite female vocalists of all time?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 32938
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Oddly (?) nary a mention of the billionaire.


I actually appreciate her ability to craft a song and use her voice in a way that's not overbearing. As I age, I get tired of the vocal acrobatics that people like Beyonce, Ariana Grande, et. al. indulge in.


Speaking of "vocal gymnastics", a singer that I'd say has one of the best voices I've ever heard is Jennifer Hudson. However, I didn't include her here because she just doesn't have a catalog that's memorable, other than perhaps her work on the movie Dreamgirls (her powerful version of "You're Gonna Love Me" won her an Oscar, let's face it). Everything she's sung, whether it's her own song or a cover, you come away thinking "damn, this woman has a gift!", and yet she's just not a consequential recording artist. Like, to me, she's close to an Aretha-like talent in terms of just pure vocal ability, and yet she never made a connection with the public like that (obviously). Hell, she was even voted off fairly early on American Idol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 68665
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Oddly (?) nary a mention of the billionaire.


I actually appreciate her ability to craft a song and use her voice in a way that's not overbearing. As I age, I get tired of the vocal acrobatics that people like Beyonce, Ariana Grande, et. al. indulge in.


Speaking of "vocal gymnastics", a singer that I'd say has one of the best voices I've ever heard is Jennifer Hudson. However, I didn't include her here because she just doesn't have a catalog that's memorable, other than perhaps her work on the movie Dreamgirls (her powerful version of "You're Gonna Love Me" won her an Oscar, let's face it). Everything she's sung, whether it's her own song or a cover, you come away thinking "damn, this woman has a gift!", and yet she's just not a consequential recording artist. Like, to me, she's close to an Aretha-like talent in terms of just pure vocal ability, and yet she never made a connection with the public like that (obviously). Hell, she was even voted off fairly early on American Idol.


Speaking on vocal gymnastics Mariah Carey has a vocal range covering five octaves. Her vocal range includes notes from G#2 to E7.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 32938
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:34 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Heartburn wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Oddly (?) nary a mention of the billionaire.


I actually appreciate her ability to craft a song and use her voice in a way that's not overbearing. As I age, I get tired of the vocal acrobatics that people like Beyonce, Ariana Grande, et. al. indulge in.


Speaking of "vocal gymnastics", a singer that I'd say has one of the best voices I've ever heard is Jennifer Hudson. However, I didn't include her here because she just doesn't have a catalog that's memorable, other than perhaps her work on the movie Dreamgirls (her powerful version of "You're Gonna Love Me" won her an Oscar, let's face it). Everything she's sung, whether it's her own song or a cover, you come away thinking "damn, this woman has a gift!", and yet she's just not a consequential recording artist. Like, to me, she's close to an Aretha-like talent in terms of just pure vocal ability, and yet she never made a connection with the public like that (obviously). Hell, she was even voted off fairly early on American Idol.


Speaking on vocal gymnastics Mariah Carey has a vocal range covering five octaves. Her vocal range includes notes from G#2 to E7.


Stunning vocalist in her prime, no question. Kind of lost it by 40 though, which sucks. Kind of similar to Whitney, who totally lost her best stuff at a relatively early age as well. In direct contrast to this, ladies and gentlemen, I give you Shirley Bassey, at the age of 76, at the 2013 Oscars...



I mean, come on!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Apr 2001
Posts: 7350

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:27 am    Post subject:

Not necessarily in order of greatness,except the first one:

Aretha
Ella Fitzgerald
Nina Simone
Billie Holiday
Miriam Makeba
Joni
Carole King
Carly Simon
Patti Smith
Beth Gibbons
Mama Cass
Linda Ronstadt
Phoebe Bridgers
Mistki
Lana del Rey
Stevie Nicks
_________________
“Properly read, the bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”
― Isaac Asimov
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 36432
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject:

Lee Sunmi:




_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 May 2001
Posts: 6032

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 6:21 am    Post subject:

In no particular order...

Lisa Gerrard:


Hope Sandoval:


Elizabeth Fraser:


Sarah McLachlan:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 13 Apr 2001
Posts: 32814

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:10 am    Post subject:

I'm surprised at how long it took for Patti Smith to be mentioned.

One more name to add to the list: Bessie Smith, who could belt out the blues better than anyone, including the great Janis Joplin.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 11277

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2024 6:41 am    Post subject:

I'm trying not to mention the obvious ones like Aretha, Billie, etc.

I've become a fan of Gracie Lawrence (and the band Lawrence, where her bother Clyde also has an impressive set of pipes).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 11643
Location: Stay Thirsty my Friends

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Out of the 5k Albums I've owned over the years, a very small percentage featured Female singers, but three that come to mind are:

Sade
Debbie Harry
Lisa Gerrard

This Dead Can Dance song (which features Lisa Gerrard), sounds amazing on the upgraded car stereo...! Her voice is pure and captivating...!


_________________
DON'T LET THE FACTS GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD PUT DOWN
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Posts: 14384

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 2:44 pm    Post subject:

I love Natasha Khan/Bat for Lashes contralto voice:




Also just wanted to post Joni Mitchell

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 90396
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject:

Probably my favorite single vocal performance of all time is the first vocalist on the live version of great gig in the sky on the pulse album. Etta James I would rather go blind live, Aretha doing Carole King’s Natural Woman (and replacing Pavarotti was t bad either), Edith Piaf’s Non, je ne regrette rien, Nina Simone’s sinnerman, several cuts by Janis Joplin, and a couple Maria Callas arias would also rank highly.
_________________
“We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.” ― Elie Wiesel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
gumby
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Posts: 2501
Location: Inland Empire

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject:

Surprised Minnie Ripperton hasn’t been mentioned.

I wouldn’t sleep on her.

Bye.
_________________
"This trophy removes the most odious sentence in the English Language. It can never be said again that 'the Lakers have never beaten the Celtics.'" -Dr. Jerry Buss (1985) R.I.P., 33 x M.V.O.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 17332

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
Surprised Minnie Ripperton hasn’t been mentioned.

I wouldn’t sleep on her.

Bye.


Minnie's career was cut short.

[Prepares for barrage] - Carole King was very average as a vocalist to me. As a songwriter - she's the GOAT, male or female.
_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2001
Posts: 12781

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
gumby wrote:
Surprised Minnie Ripperton hasn’t been mentioned.

I wouldn’t sleep on her.

Bye.


Minnie's career was cut short.

[Prepares for barrage] - Carole King was very average as a vocalist to me. As a songwriter - she's the GOAT, male or female.


(barrage) ... naw, too easy.
_________________
"A metronome keeps time by using a Ringo"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 144843
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 6:51 pm    Post subject:

I don’t know if she’s one of the greatest but I sure miss Dolores O’Riordan.
_________________
RIP mom. 11-21-1933 to 6-14-2023.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 May 2006
Posts: 3532

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Im Nayeon:



Wendy Shon:



I like Asa and Ahyeon (BabyMonster) as well as Hanni and Dani (NewJeans).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB