Klay Thompson? Woj: LeBron reached out to Klay at start of FA; Nope… the bonehead chose TX
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject:

I don't blame him.

Mavs were just in the finals.

Mavs move the ball around more and have more motion in the offense, so he will get plenty of good looks in their offense.

In our offense, Lebron often has the ball most of the shot clock and we force up a lot of shots to beat the buzzer.
RMurphy_22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Mavs did just make Finals, but I can see thay being as close as they get for another decade. Being a Laker would have been a solid legacy piece but oh well.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Face it dude has always wanted to carve a different path than his father. On one hand I can respect that. Also Mavs are a lot younger and have a bigger window than the Lakers and were just in the Finals.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I agree with the masses that on the surface moving DLO for Klay is not a RS upgrade but when you think about playoff matchups it gets much more interesting.

Teams don't scheme to stop DLO off the ball. Not nearly as much as they would with Klay. He has a rep and respected sharpshooter that would be playing off screens and in motion. This gives the Lakers a little bit of a different look. Factor in they have Gabe, Austin, JHS, Max. There's a lot of 2 guard or 3rd guard combos they would be able to play with Klay that would be more effective in a playoff setting than with DLO.

Regular season wise though, DLO > Klay of last year. Playoffs? I take Klay every time. Teams will actually have to scheme or pay with not putting body on Klay. He is not someone that needs the ball to score. He is an extremely good complement to AD/Bron, who are high usage guys.

I would view him as Danny Green 19-20 on steroids. In a 25 mpg role, I think he would give better effort on defense than we saw in GST. That said, I'm neither here or there on this move. I think at best this move helps us in the POs but hurts us in the RS a bit.

Would GST even want DLO for Klay?
Good Points

With Luka and Kyrie, they are an ISO-related (not a team with an offensive schemes based on motion that is not the strength of Luka/Kyrie) team on offense and average on defense.

He is a "Danny Green-like" player with much more offense but a declining effective on defense.

According to reports, Magic was interested in DLo. Once the Magic decided that KCP was a better choice than DLo, any S&T trade with the Magic was dead.
It should be noted that there is a S&T facet of the Klay signing that hasn't been completed.

If one of the reasons that Klay left was to leave the shadow of Curry and intense scrutiny of his effectiveness in the Bay, the Mavs gives him a better option. If he was to arrive in LaLaLand, with Michael (his father) being on the radio broadcast team and being a LA Laker would a be a lot of pressure. With the Mavs, he is almost an after-thought after the first month of the NBA season since his value is his reputation as a shotter will initially prompt opposing teams to have Klay as an importnat part of their respective game plans.

In addition, the tax laws in Texas and California would demand that his contract needs to be appreciatively higher to compensate for the tax differences.

Will everybody expect Klay to play 30-35 MPGs throughout the entire season? Will "Load Management" be something that comes with playing a 34 years old player that is your starting SG? Since he and Max Christie have similar physical attributes, with Christie having the potential of being an impactful player (if he would still be on the team if part of S&T), what would be the best for the team

One can't have DLo and Klay on the same roster.

Mavs traded Hardaway prior to FA, Lakers didn't have any bench player with enough salary to make a difference unless one combines Christie, Rui and Vincent - that would mean that Rob would have to immediately find replacements.

Demar Derozan's defensive stats are average but he has the ability to take the load off Ad & LBJ. Rotation of AR, DDR, DLo, Christie and Dinwiddle (along with their first round draft choice) would provide flexability and depth - the one thing that the Cs have and one reason why they won the title.

With all this movement, who would be the Lakers' 3&D wing players that can defend the lights of Tatum, Brown and others?
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Klay isn’t going to move the needle for them. This past year was their chance.
Zillethai
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:

I wholeheartedly disagree. This move puts them as the favorites to come out of the West
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject:

Zillethai wrote:
ReaListik wrote:

I wholeheartedly disagree. This move puts them as the favorites to come out of the West

idk, there are some up and coming teams that will be tough. One example; OKC just got a little better, enough to beat Dallas this time? We'll see...
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:41 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Zillethai wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
idk, there are some up and coming teams that will be tough. One example; OKC just got a little better, enough to beat Dallas this time? We'll see...
Teams that are clearly one step better than Mavs starts with OKC and TWolves.

On the other hand - Nuggets and Dubs got worse

Status Quo - Kings

X Factor - Spurs

Will Luka, Kyrie and Klay consistently play enough quality D to defeat the favorites - not at this time. Plus the Celtics have shown the blueprint to shutdown Luka and Kyrie
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject:

Yall don't remember Reaves and DLO taking turns going at Klay in the playoffs in 2023? It's giving Westbrook vibes again. We saw first hand how destructive Westbrook was when we played the Rockets in the playoffs and still traded for him 2 years later.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
Time to lock this up. No point in discussing this further.

We can make it a season long hate on Klay thread.

I Bleed P&G
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 12:21 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Time to lock this up. No point in discussing this further.

We can make it a season long hate on Klay thread.

I know you just joking but there are fans that will start doing that.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject:

Mychal Thompsons reaction to Klay choosing Dallas

https://x.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1808174879465742769
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Zillethai wrote:
ReaListik wrote:

There's no such thing as a favorite in the West. The luckiest team will make it out. Mavs got lucky Clippers weren't healthy. Every WC playoff team has to win 3 very tough series in order to make it out. I doubt the Mavs would roll the Lakers or the Nuggets if they ran into them. The West is very wild and very open.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:29 pm    Post subject:

I'm glad Klay is no longer an option. Klay's 34 we have enough old blood we need new blood.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I don’t blame Klay for signing with Mavs. They’re closer to a title than Lakers, that’s a fact. But tell your dad stop using the father son laker connection when you know for fact you’re not coming here. I really want a strong ownership, this crap of being used by other players and now one of your own broadcasters is really saddening.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Yall don't remember Reaves and DLO taking turns going at Klay in the playoffs in 2023? It's giving Westbrook vibes again. We saw first hand how destructive Westbrook was when we played the Rockets in the playoffs and still traded for him 2 years later.

I think a lot of people forget how bad he was that series. He went off that one game but for the rest of the series the Lakers didn’t even need to guard him.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject:

I Bleed P&G wrote:
Klay coming here would be more of an asset for his veteran leadership not so much his play.

He went to Dallas. You have to let it go already.
There's no sense crying over spilt milk.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Zillethai wrote:
ReaListik wrote:

There's no such thing as a favorite in the West. The luckiest team will make it out. Mavs got lucky Clippers weren't healthy. Every WC playoff team has to win 3 very tough series in order to make it out. I doubt the Mavs would roll the Lakers or the Nuggets if they ran into them. The West is very wild and very open.

The Mavs would’ve rolled the (bleep) out of us. What are you on? They were the best defensive team in the league during the playoffs.

Lucky the Clips weren’t healthy? Luka owns that team. And the Clips are never healthy. It be lucky if the Clips were healthy, for the Clips.

The Mavs also sonned the team that beat the Nuggets.

Oh and Luka is “that” guy.

It was their best chance but their best player is 25. They got beat by a super team in Boston. No shame in that. Luka is only going to get better, and so are the Mavs.

I understand you’re optimistic about the Lakers, Bron and AD but right now you’re walking the line of delusion by discrediting the Mavs.
BirdMagicLegend
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:34 am    Post subject:

Klay chose the Mavericks because the Lakers are just terrible and who wants to play sidekick to the Lebron/Bronny show?

Let's be real here. The Mavericks would have wrecked the Lakers if they met in the playoffs. Luka would own the entire team and no one can stop Kyrie on the Lakers .
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject:

BirdMagicLegend wrote:
Klay chose the Mavericks because the Lakers are just terrible and who wants to play sidekick to the Lebron/Bronny show?

Let's be real here. The Mavericks would have wrecked the Lakers if they met in the playoffs. Luka would own the entire team and no one can stop Kyrie on the Lakers .

Let's be real here - Klay "chose" the Mavericks because the Warriors didn't want D'Angelo Russell back. A sign & trade was the only way Klay could get his money and the Warriors said "no."
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject:

BirdMagicLegend wrote:

Mavs would've wrecked us because we'd be missing two key rotation players for POA defense and they have two two-way starters we don't have, which they spent their limited FRPs on last trade deadline. Otherwise, Luka + Kyrie aren't better than LeBron + AD.

I don't think we'd have passed Minny or Denver, but I'm not scared of Dallas. I'm not convinced they got better this summer. I actually think OKC is winning the West this season.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject:

JamaalWilkes wrote:
I don't blame him.

Mavs move the ball around more and have more motion in the offense, so he will get plenty of good looks in their offense.

In our offense, Lebron often has the ball most of the shot clock and we force up a lot of shots to beat the buzzer.

Luka
2nd in the NBA in touches per game at 91.8.
2nd in time per possession at 8.3 seconds
9th in sec per touch

LeBron
18th at 76.9
25th in time per possession at 5.2 seconds.
102nd in sec per touch
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 7:58 am    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
JamaalWilkes wrote:
I don't blame him.

Luka
9th in sec per touch

LeBron
18th at 76.9
102nd in sec per touch

Do these stats come from a premium service?
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
PenG_ wrote:
JamaalWilkes wrote:
I don't blame him.

Luka
9th in sec per touch

LeBron
18th at 76.9
102nd in sec per touch

Do these stats come from a premium service?

Nope
https://www.nba.com/stats/players/touches
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: