General Professional Boxing Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 506, 507, 508 ... 512, 513, 514  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Devin Haney 29 0 15 KOs vs Vasiliy Lomachenko 17 2 11 KOs. Saturday, May 20th, 6 pm ET / 3 pm PT on ESPN+.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Devin Haney 29 0 15 KOs vs Vasiliy Lomachenko 17 2 11 KOs. Saturday, May 20th, 6 pm ET / 3 pm PT on ESPN+.

Excited for this fight!
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject:

WTH judges. Loma won that fight. Haney was a beaten man...especially second half of the fight where he was telling his dad that he couldnt do anything with the Loma left.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject:

I thought Lomachenko won the fight. He won the last half of the fight. Max Kellerman had it 115 113 Loma. I thought that was fair.

Haney vs Lomachenko official scorecard: How the judges scored the fight, including Dave Moretti giving Haney the 10th round

LINK

Nico Ali Walsh showed his immaturity. He got a split draw. I thought he lost. IMO he got a split on name recognition.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject:

Loma won that fight.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sources: Terence Crawford, Errol Spence Jr. agree to July 29 fight

Terence Crawford and Errol Spence Jr. have agreed to a deal to fight for the undisputed welterweight championship on July 29 at Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena, sources tell ESPN.

PBC's Al Haymon, who advises Spence, and CAA's Ish Hinson, who advises Crawford, negotiated and now will deliver the most anticipated boxing match since the mega fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao in 2015.

Crawford and Spence will each earn eight figures guaranteed for the Showtime PPV fight, sources said, and there's a bidirectional rematch clause that the loser can trigger within 30 days after the fight. It's a two-fight deal for Crawford with PBC, sources said. After the probable return bout between Crawford and Spence, which must take place before the end of 2023, both boxers are expected to move up to 154 pounds.

If they split the two fights, a trilogy fight is overwhelmingly likely. And whoever comes out on top is expected to push for a shot at the undisputed junior middleweight championship, which is currently held by Jermell Charlo. Spence and Charlo both train in Dallas with Derrick James.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject:

^^I'll believe it when I see it. Key term agreed. I wait till I see signed. I like Bud. He's a street warrior.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Errol Spence Jr-Terence Crawford Trade Words As Fight Made Official: “I’ll Fry That Fish”

The two welterweight world champions, Errol Spence Jr and Terence Crawford, have finally put pen to paper and will face off on July 19 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Errol Spence Jr-Terence Crawford Trade Words As Fight Made Official: “I’ll Fry That Fish”

The two welterweight world champions, Errol Spence Jr and Terence Crawford, have finally put pen to paper and will face off on July 19 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Now I believe the fight will happen, barring some unfortunate occurrence. They've actually signed a contract. I'm going with Bud. For reasons I can't put a finger on I think he wants it more.

LINK

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Loma clearly beat Haney, but the fix was in, as is the case usually in boxing, which is leading to the rapid demise. Crawford is gonna whoop Spence's ass if he hasn't been aged out by the delay making the fight. Spence used to be one of my favorite fighters, but he's clearly been ducking Crawford for years while running his mouth and beating basically no one at their peak. Crawford is smarter, meaner, and has more tools. Spence is counting on the size and age advantages to carry him through, but I think Bud will figure him out just like everyone else.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Loma clearly beat Haney, but the fix was in, as is the case usually in boxing, which is leading to the rapid demise. Crawford is gonna whoop Spence's ass if he hasn't been aged out by the delay making the fight. Spence used to be one of my favorite fighters, but he's clearly been ducking Crawford for years while running his mouth and beating basically no one at their peak. Crawford is smarter, meaner, and has more tools. Spence is counting on the size and age advantages to carry him through, but I think Bud will figure him out just like everyone else.

Crawford, Spence and Jermall Charlo are my favorite 3 boxers right now.

I agree, I think Crawford will win. Not a knock on Spence (who can beat everyone else in that weight class).

Hope Jermall finally gets the Canelo fight he's been begging for, for years now.
Damn boxing is so broken. It's sad.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Hope Jermall finally gets the Canelo fight he's been begging for, for years now.

Quote:
Canelo Alvarez next fight: Jermall Charlo and Badou Jack now targets, Dmitry Bivol may be out

Canelo Alvarez’s search for a next opponent has added two new names, with his previous main target, Dmitry Bivol, possibly but not certainly out of the running.

Mike Coppinger reports at ESPN.com that both Jermall Charlo and Badou Jack have had talks with Canelo’s team about a fall bout, while Bivol is saying he’s turning his attention to an undisputed light heavyweight championship fight with Artur Beterbiev.

That doesn’t mean you should count Bivol out of this race, however, because there are clear problems with his hope and public stance.

- As Bivol is Russian and not claiming to “represent” another country, the way Beterbiev does because of his Canadian citizenship, Bivol is not currently eligible to fight for a WBC title.

- Beterbiev has a fight with Callum Smith for his WBC, IBF, and WBO titles on Aug. 19 in Quebec. The first bullet point is an issue no matter who wins that fight, and the second thing is that Bivol would be waiting quite a while, probably at the very earliest December, before he could fight the winner, and December is probably optimistic by three to five months.

The issue with Canelo vs Bivol 2 getting done is that Canelo wants the fight at 175 lbs for Bivol’s WBA title there, while Bivol (21-0, 11 KO) is only interested in moving down in weight to fight for Canelo’s undisputed championship at 168 lbs. This has been the sticking point for a while now, and there’s no compromise you can make here that will satisfy both parties.

Canelo wants the fight at the weight he lost to Bivol in 2022, while Bivol doesn’t see a great reason to face Canelo again under those same circumstances. It has to be said, because this is boxing, that this could all be posturing, and that there perhaps is a dollar amount that would get Bivol to take a light heavyweight rematch with Canelo, but that might also be a huge dollar amount.

Bivol last fought in Nov. 2022, routing Gilberto “Zurdo” Ramirez in Abu Dhabi.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2023/6/13/23759030/canelo-alvarez-next-fight-jermall-charlo-badou-jack-now-targets-bivol-may-be-out-boxing-news-2023
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
WBC Won’t Sanction Canelo Vs. Bivol II For 168-Lb Title

WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman says his organization won’t sanction a fight between undisputed super middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez and Dmitry Bivol at 168 in September because the World Boxing Council still has a ban in place for Russian boxers due to the war in Ukraine. As such, if Bivol (21-0, 11 KOs) wants to fight for Canelo’s WBC at 168, he would have to receive an exemption from the sanctioning body

Source: WBC Won't Sanction Canelo Vs. Bivol II For 168-lb Title - Boxing News
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:10 am    Post subject:

Look for Canelo to fight Jack. Canelo mastered the blueprint taught by Floyd and continued by Spence/Tank. Canelo will fight bums that do not include Bivol, Charlo, and Benavidez until his retirement.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:19 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Look for Canelo to fight Jack. Canelo mastered the blueprint taught by Floyd and continued by Spence/Tank. Canelo will fight bums that do not include Bivol, Charlo, and Benavidez until his retirement.

I've been saying this for some time. Alvarez is using the game and not letting the game use him. I don't blame Saul, I blame the game.

The fight game has become a business. The Joe Louis, Marciano, Sugar Ray, and Tommy Hearns, fighters fighting the best are over. I don't remember the last I bought a PPV. Watching Loma get robbed did it for me.

I have a feeling something will roadblock the Crawford vs Spence fight even though the contracts are signed and the block will come from the Spence camp.

If Saul fights Bivol, Charlo or Benavidez it will renew my faith in the sport.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
WBC Won’t Sanction Canelo Vs. Bivol II For 168-Lb Title

WBC president Mauricio Sulaiman says his organization won’t sanction a fight between undisputed super middleweight champion Canelo Alvarez and Dmitry Bivol at 168 in September because the World Boxing Council still has a ban in place for Russian boxers due to the war in Ukraine. As such, if Bivol (21-0, 11 KOs) wants to fight for Canelo’s WBC at 168, he would have to receive an exemption from the sanctioning body

Source: WBC Won't Sanction Canelo Vs. Bivol II For 168-lb Title - Boxing News

That's effed up. Mixing sports and politics is a bunch of Bull Twinky. It doesn't help the Ukrainian people or boxing. The fight doesn't have to be sanctioned by the WBC the public will sanction it.

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:28 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Damn boxing is so broken. It's sad.

Quote:
“He’ll fight Charlo” - Eddie Hearn explains why Canelo Alvarez vs. Dmitry Bivol 2 is off the table

Modified Jun 22, 2023 12:16 GMT

According to Eddie Hearn, Alvarez is likely to face Jermall Charlo next, the current WBC middleweight champion and undefeated boxer with a 32-0 record.

The boxing promoter explained that neither Canelo Alvarez nor Dmitry Bivol could come to an agreement for a possible rematch.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/mma/he-ll-fight-charlo-eddie-hearn-explains-canelo-alvarez-vs-dmitry-bivol-2-table

Quote:
Canelo Alvarez Vs. Jermall Charlo Done Deal For September 16

June 22nd, 2023

Canelo Alvarez will fight Jermall Charlo on September 15 as part of a three-fight deal with Premier Boxing Champions [PBC]. As part of this deal, the superstar Canelo (59-2-2,39 KOs) will fight in May & September 2024 against still-to-be-determined opposition.

The inactive Jermall Charlo (32-0, 22 KOs) hasn’t fought in two years and looked shot beyond words in his last fight against Juan Macias Montiel.

https://www.boxingnews24.com/2023/06/canelo-alvarez-vs-jermall-charlo-done-deal-for-september-16/

Quote:
Report: Canelo Alvarez vs. Jermall Charlo Set for Super Middleweight Title Fight

According to ESPN's Mike Coppinger, Alvarez "announced a 'done deal'" to defend his undisputed super middleweight championship against Jermall Charlo "likely" on Sept. 16 under the PBC banner.

Alvarez has been known to be interested in a rematch against Bivol, but it appears the two sides couldn't come to a deal before Charlo was selected as his next opponent.

"I think the Jermall Charlo fight is probably the frontrunner right now," Matchroom Booxing's Eddie Hearn told The DAZN Boxing Show on Wednesday (h/t Manouk Akopyan of Boxing Scene). "I spoke to [Alvarez's manager and trainer] Eddy Reynoso last week. Obviously, they wanted to fight Dmitry Bivol. We couldn't get that one over the line just yet, so they're looking at other options."

Charlo (32-0, 22 KOs) has held the WBC middleweight title since 2019 and he is a former IBF light middleweight champion. He has not fought since June 2021 when he defeated Juan Macias Montiel by unanimous decision to retain his belt.

This will be his first fight at 168 pounds in his 13-year career.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10080327-report-canelo-alvarez-vs-jermall-charlo-set-for-super-middleweight-title-fight

Canelo rather let Charlo move up in weight than let Bivol move down in weight.

Also looks like Canelo left Eddie Hearn and DAZN to join PBC (Premier Boxing Champions) for this 3 fight deal.

Quote:
Canelo Alvarez took to social media Thursday to announce a done deal for September. The undisputed super middleweight champion noted he'd be fighting on a Premier Boxing Champions card, though he didn't identify an opponent, a specific date and/or venue. ESPN's Mike Coppinger reported Thursday evening that Alvarez has a three-year deal with PBC with Jermall Charlo likely up next.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject:

Charlo vs Canelo is something I'd like to see. Charlo's last fight vs Montiel

kikanga wrote:

Quote:

The inactive Jermall Charlo (32-0, 22 KOs) hasn’t fought in two years and looked shot beyond words in his last fight against Juan Macias Montiel.

What fight did you watch? Jermall beat the doo-doo outa Montiel. The scorecards were announced as 120-108, 119-109, and 118-109 in favor of winner Jermall Charlo.

Jermall was cut for the first time in his career and showed he's able to fight through it.
Quote:
Charlo continued to work Montiel over in the seventh and eighth rounds but every now and then Montiel, whose face showed the damage of taking so many clean shots, would come alive and land a solid hook or jab. He also opened a small cut over Charlo's right eye in the eighth round, the first time he had ever been cut.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Canelo prefers the smaller Charlo, Jermell, who has also been inactive and is coming off a broken hand. Can't make this up Canelo really is one of the, if not the biggest, (bleep) in combat sports.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:59 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Looks like Canelo prefers the smaller Charlo, Jermell, who has also been inactive and is coming off a broken hand. Can't make this up Canelo really is one of the, if not the biggest, (bleep) in combat sports.

I thought he was going to fight Jermall. This is a disappointment. Saul started like a true warrior. He's turning into another money grabber. Why aren't you guys talking about him like you do MoneyMay? I'm not asking you BadGuy.

Quote:
Canelo Alvarez took to social media Thursday to announce a done deal for September. The undisputed super middleweight champion noted he'd be fighting on a Premier Boxing Champions card, though he didn't identify an opponent, a specific date and/or venue. ESPN's Mike Coppinger reported Thursday evening that Alvarez has a three-year deal with PBC with Jermall Charlo likely up next.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:06 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:

Might not be his choice:

Quote:
Canelo Alvarez, boxing's top star, announced on social media on Friday that he'll fight Jermell Charlo rather than his twin brother, Jermall, on Sept. 30 in Las Vegas, the first meeting of undisputed champions in the four-belt era.

Alvarez holds all four super middleweight titles while Charlo owns all four belts at 154 pounds. The bout, which is expected to be a Showtime PPV event, will be contested at 168 pounds for Alvarez's undisputed championship, sources told ESPN.

Alvarez (59-2-2, 39 KOs) was lined up for a fight with Jermall Charlo, the WBC champion at 160 pounds, after he met with PBC founder Al Haymon in the Cleveland area earlier in June.

But earlier this week, Alvarez's team was informed that Jermall wouldn't be available to fight in September, sources said. The sides pivoted to Jermell, who sits just outside ESPN's pound-for-pound list but has never competed above 154 pounds, and the matchup was finalized on Friday, sources said.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Might not be his choice:

Quote:
Canelo Alvarez, boxing's top star, announced on social media on Friday that he'll fight Jermell Charlo rather than his twin brother, Jermall, on Sept. 30 in Las Vegas, the first meeting of undisputed champions in the four-belt era.

Alvarez holds all four super middleweight titles while Charlo owns all four belts at 154 pounds. The bout, which is expected to be a Showtime PPV event, will be contested at 168 pounds for Alvarez's undisputed championship, sources told ESPN.

Alvarez (59-2-2, 39 KOs) was lined up for a fight with Jermall Charlo, the WBC champion at 160 pounds, after he met with PBC founder Al Haymon in the Cleveland area earlier in June.

But earlier this week, Alvarez's team was informed that Jermall wouldn't be available to fight in September, sources said. The sides pivoted to Jermell, who sits just outside ESPN's pound-for-pound list but has never competed above 154 pounds, and the matchup was finalized on Friday, sources said.

If Jermall is not available, Bivol and Benavidez are, but Canelo would prefer as many advantages as possible. He's made a lot of money in his career, so he may retire soon after a couple more cherry picked fights.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:02 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Might not be his choice:

Quote:

If Jermall is not available, Bivol and Benavidez are, but Canelo would prefer as many advantages as possible. He's made a lot of money in his career, so he may retire soon after a couple more cherry picked fights.

Bivol is off the table once he signed with PBC.

Bivol is still with Hearn.

I don’t know if Benavidez is in this 3 fight deal.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:34 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Might not be his choice:

Quote:

Bivol is off the table once he signed with PBC.

Bivol is still with Hearn.

I don’t know if Benavidez is in this 3 fight deal.

Canelo signed with PBC after negotiations with Bivol. These "justifications" are simply calculated excuses. Canelo can sign with whoever he wants and has even backed out of deals and broken contracts in the past, e.g., the DAZN/Goldenboy contract. Canelo can fight whoever he wants. He chooses to make many fights (that no fans are asking for) for a reason.

Edit: if you think Canelo is going to fight Benavidez before he retires, I want to try some of what you're smoking There are rumors that the "plan" is little Charlo, bigger Charlo, then Spence (all 3 would be moving up in weight to fight Canelo since Canelo prefers to fight smaller men or bigger men who are washed).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject:

Canelo wants no part of Dmirty. Bivol straight kicked his ass. He laid the blueprint for how to beat Alvarez. Keep him off balance with a jab and don't be afraid to let your hands go. Bivol threw punches in bunches. He frustrated Canelo. I don't think the fight was as close as the scorecards indicated. I had it 118 - 111 Bivol.

Quote:
All three (terrible) judges scored it 115-113 to Bivol. He won by at least 8 rounds to 4. I didn't see Canelo winning more than 3 rounds. Canelo got out-boxed.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 506, 507, 508 ... 512, 513, 514  Next
Page 507 of 514
Jump to: