Lakers in the News 12/28/12 "Dwight Howard, Lakers whip Blazers, 104-87"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 12/28/12 "Dwight Howard, Lakers whip Blazers, 104-87"

Note: This is the "Late News" because of computer issues. Go Lakers!

Quote:
Preview: Lakers vs. Trail Blazers

By Eric Pincus

December 28, 2012, 6:03 a.m.

The Lakers (14-15) host the Portland Trail Blazers (14-13) on Friday night. The two teams met previously on Oct. 31, the second game of the year in a 116-106 Blazers victory in Portland.

It was the same game Steve Nash fractured his leg, which set the Lakers on the recent tumultuous course.

The Blazers have five players who average double figures, led by LaMarcus Aldridge (21.1 points) and likely rookie of the year Damian Lillard (18.6).

The Lakers are coming off a loss to the Denver Nuggets, which ended their five-game winning streak. The team announced Thursday that forward Pau Gasol is probable for the Blazers game despite getting diagnosed with plantar fasciitis in his right foot.

Key Matchup

The Lakers are a different team when they play defense. Nash's return has helped on both sides of the ball but how will he fare when matched up with Lillard?

Ty Lawson of the Nuggets was difficult for Nash and the Lakers to cover. Lillard won't be any easier.

Of course the Blazers will need to get stops against Nash and the Lakers. Portland gives up 99.4 points a game this season, 2.2 more than they score (97.6).

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-preview-lakers-vs-trail-blazers-20121227,0,6993799.story

Last edited by Cha*n on Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Gasol to play through foot pain against Portland
December, 28, 2012
Dec 28
1:29
PM PT
By Dave McMenamin
ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- After recently shutting it down for eight games to rest his aching knees, Los Angeles Lakers forward Pau Gasol isn't about to go back to the sidelines while dealing with plantar fasciitis in his right foot.

Gasol will play Friday against the Portland Trail Blazers, a day after undergoing an MRI on his right foot that confirmed the injury.

"It's something that’s been going on," Gasol said of the injury that has been hurting the arch in his right foot for weeks. "I just wanted to make sure it was nothing else than what we guessed, which is fasciitis. Just make sure that the bones were good, that it was not really a tear. There’s soreness but so far we’ve been managing the pain. It’s manageable."

Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said the team has been aware of his condition and does not anticipate limiting Gasol's minutes against Portland.

"He’s been battling this the whole time," D'Antoni said. "We’ll watch him, obviously, but he’s OK -- it just flares up so we got to be careful about it."

D'Antoni said Jordan Hill, not Antawn Jamison, would be the beneficiary of minutes should Gasol's workload need to be cut down.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lakers/post/_/id/35202/gasol-to-play-through-foot-pain-against-portland
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers still seek right way forward

Updated: December 28, 2012, 3:37 PM ET
By Ramona Shelburne | ESPNLosAngeles.com

Not so many months ago, there was a moment, or maybe even a few minutes, where Kobe Bryant seemed to lose faith.

It was May again. Too early for any Los Angeles Lakers season to be ending. Too soon for Bryant to have enough time in the postgame locker room to find the perspective he needed to swallow another second-round playoff exit, then live with it for the next few months.

[+] EnlargeKobe Bryant
Ronald Martinez/Getty ImagesKobe Bryant and the Lakers found themselves in unfamiliar territory after the 2012 playoffs.

And so up on the stage, with cameras rolling for all the world to see, Bryant revealed his concerns.

"It's kind of unfamiliar territory,'' he said after the Lakers' Game 5 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder. "I'm really not used to it."

The words hung heavily in the air.

The Lakers hadn't just lost a playoff series, they might have lost themselves. As a brand that never accepts this sort of disappointment, as a franchise that has always defined itself by setting the standard for the rest of the NBA, not trying to catch up.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8787854/as-2012-comes-end-los-angeles-lakers-searching-right-way-forward
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers release app for Android and iOS devices

By Eric Pincus

December 28, 2012, 8:00 a.m.

The Lakers have released an official mobile app for both Android and iOS platforms.

Partnered with developer Lucid Appeal, the Lakers app provides "news, statistics, schedules, image and video gallery, user profiles, and more," according to a release from the team.

"Launching this mobile app is a part of our long term strategy to engage Lakers fans across digital platforms and deliver content to fans in all the ways they want to consume it. We're excited for this launch, but even more so for the long-term road map we have for the mobile app and the dynamic features coming in future versions," said Nick Kioski, director of new media and technology for the Lakers.

To download the free app, navigate to the App Store on an iOS device, or to Google Play on an Android device.

Tickets to games can also be purchased via Ticketmaster within the app.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-release-app-droid-and-ios-20121227,0,2226813.story
Born89FanIn95
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject:

PAU GOT HIS BIG BOY PANTS ON TONIGHT!!!!! 16 points 10 rebounds and 4 assists tonight
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Matt Barnes calls time with Lakers 'a bad situation'

By Eric Pincus

December 28, 2012, 4:39 p.m.

Matt Barnes spent two years with the Lakers before leaving for the Clippers.

The Clippers (23-6) are currently riding a 15-game win streak and Barnes is averaging 11 points a game on 50.2% shooting from the field.

According to an NBA executive, one of the main reasons the Clippers have won so many in a row is "Matt Barnes is playing out of his mind."

When told of the comments, Barnes' response included a slam of ex-Lakers coach, Mike Brown.

"I've been working hard these past few summers. Last year, playing with the Lakers, I was told when I could shoot. If I made mistakes, I'd come out of the game," said Barnes. "This year [Coach] Vinny [Del Negro] has installed a lot of trust in me. He lets me go out there and play my game. If I mess up, he still sticks with me and that goes a long way with any player."

Barnes' year with Phil Jackson was a disappointment when he simply wasn't healthy for the postseason. Last year the forward played 63 games, in the lockout-shortened 66-game regular season, for Brown, averaging 7.8 points a game on 45.2% shooting. While he was banged up throughout the playoffs once again, Barnes clearly didn't feel like he had Brown's trust.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-matt-barnes-time-lakers-bad-situation-20121228,0,2027849.story
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers' Dwight Howard vows to be more accountable for his actions

By Mike Bresnahan

December 28, 2012, 12:50 p.m.

Dwight Howard wasn't happy with the NBA for fining him $35,000. He was also unhappy with himself.

"I've got to do a better job of keeping my composure, not getting frustrated, and also remember to play for my teammates at all times and stay on the right path," the Lakers center said Friday. "I've just got to continue to play through it, whatever it is, if the calls go my way or not my way. I've just got to find ways to affect the game and not let the game affect me."

Howard was hit with the fine a day after smacking Denver's Kenneth Faried on a third-quarter drive in the Lakers' 126-114 loss Wednesday. Howard was assessed a flagrant foul 2 and ejected.

On Friday he wasn't done with his self-critique.

"I've been a victim of that for a while, sucking into the calls -- me not getting calls -- so I'm frustrated and I watch other guys get calls," he said. "I can't allow it to affect me in a negative way to where I'm not playing hard and not doing what I can do and just dominate. When I allow those petty things to get to me, then it affects my teammates and we lose games."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-dwight-howard-accountable-20121228,0,1316493.story?track=rss
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dwight Howard reacts to fine
Updated: December 28, 2012, 6:11 PM ET
By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Even though Los Angeles Lakers center Dwight Howard believes the $35,000 fine he received for his flagrant foul on the Denver Nuggets' Kenneth Faried was exorbitant, he vows to curb his frustration to stop plays such as that from occurring in the future.

"I got to do a better job of keeping my composure and not getting frustrated and also remember that I'm playing for my teammates at all times and stay on the right path," Howard said after the Lakers' shootaround Friday in advance of their game against the Portland Trail Blazers.

Howard was ejected with 5:02 left in the third quarter of the Lakers' 126-114 loss to the Nuggets on Wednesday night. He was called for a flagrant foul 2 when he jammed his hand in Faried's face as the Denver forward drove the lane. Faried tumbled to the floor, but shook off the fall to stay in the game.

After the game, Howard disagreed with the ejection so it wasn't surprising that he also disagreed with the fine that followed.

"It was a lot," Howard said. "It was a lot for a flagrant foul. I'm happy I didn't get suspended; that's the biggest thing. I'm disappointed to be kicked out of a game. That's never happened since I've been in the NBA."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8787990/dwight-howard-los-angeles-lakers-reacts-fine
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Dwight Howard, Lakers whip Blazers, 104-87
Dwight Howard has 21 points and 14 rebounds and Kobe Bryant scores 27 as the Lakers put this one away early.

1/10
By Eric Pincus

December 28, 2012, 9:58 p.m.

Lakers 104 - Trail Blazers 87 (final)

In a night when Showtime Laker Jamaal Wilkes saw his No. 52 jersey retired at halftime, the Lakers rolled over the Portland Trail Blazers 104-87.

The Lakers climb to eighth place in the Western Conference, finally back in playoff position, with a 15-15 record. The Blazers drop to 14-14, ninth on a tiebreaker.

Kobe Bryant led all scorers with just 27 points, his 10-game 30-points-or-greater streak coming to an end. The Lakers starters were finally able to play reduced minutes, Pau Gasol and Bryant both at team-highs with 31.

Dwight Howard had 21 points and 14 rebounds. Gasol contributed 15 points, nine boards and five assists as the Lakers shot 46.5% from the field.

The Blazers were led by LaMarcus Aldridge' 26 points. Damian Lillard had 11 but shot 4-17. Portland shot 41.4% and 15.8% from three.

Next, the Lakers host the Philadelphia 76ers on New Year’

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-blazers-live-updates-20121228,0,6062652.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fmostviewed+(L.A.+Times+-+Most+Viewed+Stories)
GypsySoul
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Quote:
Dwight Howard, Lakers whip Blazers, 104-87
Dwight Howard has 21 points and 14 rebounds and Kobe Bryant scores 27 as the Lakers put this one away early.

1/10
By Eric Pincus

December 28, 2012, 9:58 p.m.

Lakers 104 - Trail Blazers 87 (final)

In a night when Showtime Laker Jamaal Wilkes saw his No. 52 jersey retired at halftime, the Lakers rolled over the Portland Trail Blazers 104-87.

The Lakers climb to eighth place in the Western Conference, finally back in playoff position, with a 15-15 record. The Blazers drop to 14-14, ninth on a tiebreaker.

Kobe Bryant led all scorers with just 27 points, his 10-game 30-points-or-greater streak coming to an end. The Lakers starters were finally able to play reduced minutes, Pau Gasol and Bryant both at team-highs with 31.

Dwight Howard had 21 points and 14 rebounds. Gasol contributed 15 points, nine boards and five assists as the Lakers shot 46.5% from the field.

The Blazers were led by LaMarcus Aldridge' 26 points. Damian Lillard had 11 but shot 4-17. Portland shot 41.4% and 15.8% from three.

Next, the Lakers host the Philadelphia 76ers on New Year’

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-blazers-live-updates-20121228,0,6062652.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+latimes%2Fmostviewed+(L.A.+Times+-+Most+Viewed+Stories)

PLUS, we got free tacos!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: