OFFICIAL DWIGHT HOWARD DISCUSSION (Put all postmortem analysis and links to articles here)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 842, 843, 844  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject:

TheKobeFactor wrote:
Sigh. Let's try to be historically accurate here, ok? Kobe told Phil and Mitch several times, that he would not come back if Shaq was still here. That's what Kobe said, several times. He threatened to leave.

The fact is that Kobe re-signed with us the very next day Shaq was traded.

Shaq and Kobe hated each other, and that's just the truth. The Late Great Dr. Buss had to choose one, and he made the choice at the time.

This time around, the same situation popped up, and I believe we made the wrong choice. Dwight was our future, and we could have had Chris Paul to sign with us too.

No, that is all speculation at this point. I doubt that Paul would have left a great situation in Clipperland, after picking his own coach and pretty much runingn the front office, to come and hang with Dwight and an empty roster.
Kobe824
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject:

CHRISTYLE70 wrote:
Kobe824 wrote:
CHRISTYLE70 wrote:
TheKobeFactor wrote:
We traded Shaq away when Kobe demanded Shaq be traded.

We should have done the same this time, and sided with Dwight, amnesty Kobe, and sign Chris Paul.

What the hell are you talking about LOL.. KOBE NEVER DEMANDED THAT SHAQ GET TRADED... SHAQ ASKED JERRY WEST TO TRADE KOBE MULTIPLE TIMES.. Shaq left because the lakers wouldnt give him the extension he wanted. Kobe was going to the Clippers until Jerry Buss met with him and convinced him to stay.. I dont see how a "Laker Fan" could still be in the dark about what really happened. GEEZ

Kobe didn't have to demand a trade because he could have walked to the Clippers. You think it's a coincidence that Kobe agreed to stay with the Lakers one day after they trade Shaq to the Heat? Kobe had no interest in playing the rest of his career with Shaq. The Lakers didn't give Shaq an extension because they knew it meant Kobe would be leaving. I don't see how any "Laker fan" cannot see what really happened in 2004.

YOU SAID KOBE DEMANDED SHAQ BE TRADED.. WHICH WAS NOT THE CASE.. The Clippers thought they had him, so dont try to blame Kobe for Shaq Leaving, Shaq himself has said Kobe didnt run him out of town, he requested to leave.. Stop Drinking the ESPN Kool Aid. Its fashionable to blame Kobe for everything, easy target.

Shaq requested to leave just like MDA resigned from the Knicks last year. Kobe forced the Lakers into a me or Shaq situation and the Lakers chose Kobe.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject:

TheKobeFactor wrote:
Sigh. Let's try to be historically accurate here, ok? Kobe told Phil and Mitch several times, that he would not come back if Shaq was still here. That's what Kobe said, several times. He threatened to leave.

Shaq and Kobe hated each other, and that's just the truth. The Late Great Dr. Buss had to choose one, and he made the choice at the time.

This time around, the same situation popped up, and I believe we made the wrong choice. Dwight was our future, and we could have had Chris Paul to sign with us too.

Then why did Dr. Buss offer Shaq a 2 year/$46 million extension?

Shaq demanded a trade because he wanted a 3-year, $121 million extension and Buss didn't want to go that high.

Quote:
O'Neal demanded a trade shortly after the conclusion of the NBA Finals, saying he could no longer play for owner Jerry Buss or general manager Mitch Kupchak and that the team reneged on a promise to give him a contract extension last summer if he "delivered" free agents Karl Malone and Gary Payton.

The situation had been brewing for a couple of years.

Quote:
O'Neal, signed through 2006, is eligible for a three-year extension worth up to $121.5 million and has indicated he wants it.

But the Lakers are hesitant about both the length of a possible deal and the price tag.

If O'Neal were given a maximum extension, he would be earning $44.6 million when he's 37 years old. For perspective, consider the team salary cap this season is $44 million.

Three years ago, the Lakers signed O'Neal to a three-year extension worth $88.4 million, the maximum allowable at the time. But he was 28 years old and coming off an MVP season. Since then, O'Neal has undergone two toe surgeries and his fitness has been a constant cause for concern.

Shaq left because Buss wasn't willing to pay him FORTY FIVE MILLION DOLLARS at age 37.

But keep up with your agenda.
TheKobeFactor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
TheKobeFactor wrote:

No, that is all speculation at this point. I doubt that Paul would have left a great situation in Clipperland, after picking his own coach and pretty much runingn the front office, to come and hang with Dwight and an empty roster.

Why would anyone want to play for the Clippers and Griffin, when CP3 could play with Dwight in a Lakers jersey?

They wanted to play together for a long time.

But yes, it's all speculation, and I guess I allowed myself to be upset that we don't have Dwight + CP3 right now.

And our tanking for wiggins option is not looking good right now, as Kobe won't allow it.

What are we going to do? We lost our future with Dwight leaving. No draft picks. 2014 free agency is a pipe dream. LeBron is not coming here. I don't know man, I'm just not happy with how all this happened.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject:

Kazaam wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
followwind wrote:
If the reports are true, what kind of an egomaniac is Dwight Howard? Sheesh.

Obviously the same kind of egomaniac as Bryant, who was completely ok with Shaq leaving so he could have his own team and was still adamant on letting folks know the team was his last year..

The two situations could not be anymore different. Howard was a (bleep) noob who had the people in his corner suggest a legend get traded, because they couldn't mesh in less than a season. lol.

If Howard was being overshadowed over several years and belittled in his accomplishments over several championships, then the comparison would stick. But it does not.

And once again, Kobe had nothing to do with Shaq's contractual demands.

Well said broseph. Sorry Dream, but they are two very different situations.

I wish you guys well with the big impostor. But understand that the guy has baggage and he really believes himself to be something he isnt.

I never said the situation was exactly the same. My point is all of these stars have egos. In most cases, for whatever reason, they all want to be "that guy".
Kazaam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject:

Diva12 was a cancer and im ecstatic he's gone. He was a glorified version of Kwame Brown, with the ego of 6 time champion.

I'd goto war with Kobe on one leg, over that clown, any day of the week.
Kobe824
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
TheKobeFactor wrote:

Shaq demanded a trade because he wanted a 3-year, $121 million extension and Buss didn't want to go that high.

Quote:
O'Neal demanded a trade shortly after the conclusion of the NBA Finals, saying he could no longer play for owner Jerry Buss or general manager Mitch Kupchak and that the team reneged on a promise to give him a contract extension last summer if he "delivered" free agents Karl Malone and Gary Payton.

Quote:
O'Neal, signed through 2006, is eligible for a three-year extension worth up to $121.5 million and has indicated he wants it.

But the Lakers are hesitant about both the length of a possible deal and the price tag.

If O'Neal were given a maximum extension, he would be earning $44.6 million when he's 37 years old. For perspective, consider the team salary cap this season is $44 million.

Three years ago, the Lakers signed O'Neal to a three-year extension worth $88.4 million, the maximum allowable at the time. But he was 28 years old and coming off an MVP season. Since then, O'Neal has undergone two toe surgeries and his fitness has been a constant cause for concern.

Shaq left because Buss wasn't willing to pay him FORTY FIVE MILLION DOLLARS at age 37.

When players want extensions and demand trades it almost always ends with them being traded to a team that gives them that extension. If Shaq had went to Miami and got the extension I might buy that excuse but that's not what happened.
Lak3rs1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject:

This thread still going?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject:

Kobe824 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
TheKobeFactor wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

When players want extensions and demand trades it almost always ends with them being traded to a team that gives them that extension. If Shaq had went to Miami and got the extension I might buy that excuse but that's not what happened.

SHAQ SIGNS $100 MILLION EXTENSION WITH HEAT
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject:

Some serious revisionist history going on in this thread. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would want Dwight on this team over Kobe especially after the way Kobe carried this team into the playoffs last season. Dwight never earned the cache to legitimately make a "Kobe or me" ultimatum, and the FO made the right call in not acquiescing to such a ridiculous demand. For all his flaws, Kobe has earned the right to finish out his contract. Now, what happen next summer is a different story. If the FO feels that Kobe is demanding his too much money, then I'll be perfectly OK if the FO makes a command decision to let Kobe go for the good of the franchise. However, after going out on his shield last season, anyone who feels that the front office SHOULD have amnestied Kobe to appease a weak-minded player with an over-inflated sense of his own skills and value needs to get the frack out of here.
tom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject:

Lak3rs1987 wrote:
This thread still going?

Probably because Coward's camp keeps yacking.
Kazaam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Some serious revisionist history going on in this thread. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would want Dwight on this team over Kobe especially after the way Kobe carried this team into the playoffs last season. Dwight never earned the cache to legitimately make a "Kobe or me" ultimatum, and the FO made the right call in not acquiescing to such a ridiculous demand. For all his flaws, Kobe has earned the right to finish out his contract. Now, what happen next summer is a different story. If the FO feels that Kobe is demanding his too much money, then I'll be perfectly OK if the FO makes a command decision to let Kobe go for the good of the franchise. However, after going out on his shield last season, anyone who feels that the front office SHOULD have amnestied Kobe to appease a weak-minded player with an over-inflated sense of his own skills and value needs to get the frack out of here.

Well effin said. Glad the cancer is gone.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject:

TheKobeFactor wrote:
The Grind wrote:
TheKobeFactor wrote:

Why would anyone want to play for the Clippers and Griffin, when CP3 could play with Dwight in a Lakers jersey?

They wanted to play together for a long time.

But yes, it's all speculation, and I guess I allowed myself to be upset that we don't have Dwight + CP3 right now.

And our tanking for wiggins option is not looking good right now, as Kobe won't allow it.

What are we going to do? We lost our future with Dwight leaving. No draft picks. 2014 free agency is a pipe dream. LeBron is not coming here. I don't know man, I'm just not happy with how all this happened.

Be patient. Let it play out. I think that Mitch Kupchak is a great GM, despite the fact that he has always, or most always, had very limited resources. I strongly believe that next summer, with capspace and max contracts at his arsenal, he can do some SERIOUS damage. Book it. This season will be strange, but the one after, with an empty canvas, we will have all the tools to retool. And LA will always be a prime FA destination despite what anyone else would like to argue.
Kobe824
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Kobe824 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
TheKobeFactor wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are you comparing a 5 year $100MM extension to a 3 year $121MM extension? That's like Harden getting traded to the Rockets and then taking less money than he demanded from the Thunder. Shaq did not get the extension that you claimed forced him to leave which doesn't add up.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject:

Kobe824 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Kobe824 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
TheKobeFactor wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are you comparing a 5 year $100MM extension to a 3 year $121MM extension? That's like Harden getting traded to the Rockets and then taking less money than he demanded from the Thunder. Shaq did not get the extension that you claimed forced him to leave which doesn't add up.

5 years vs 2 years. Give me a break, he left because of money.
Kobe824
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject:

PushingtheLimit wrote:
Kobe824 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Kobe824 wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
TheKobeFactor wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

5 years vs 2 years. Give me a break, he left because of money.

5 years for 100 vs 3 years for 121? He would be making more money in the 3 year deal. How does the length of the contract benefit him in any way?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject:

i have been saying this for a long time, Dwight's real reason not signing with the Laker is KOBE BRYANT and the front office's indecisiveness on Kobe's future. all those Jim Buss MDA bashing can put to rest now. the front office knows the real reason, that's why they didn't fire MDA, cuz they know even if they did Dwight would still skip town.

think about it, Kobe never wanted Lakers to go after Dwight last summer, and the way Mitch and Jim welcome him to the team, they way they claimed Dwight being the future of this franchise must have eaten Kobe up alive inside.

i wish Lakers front office would have been more transparent to Dwight about Kobe's future. they can tell Dwight Kobe is staying a Laker as long as he wishes, OR they can tell Dwight indirectly that they will amnesty Kobe. the fact the front office tried to dodge this completely throughout the season was a big factor Dwight isn't here now.
Kobe824
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i have been saying this for a long time, Dwight's real reason not signing with the Laker is KOBE BRYANT and the front office's indecisiveness on Kobe's future. all those Jim Buss MDA bashing can put to rest now. the front office knows the real reason, that's why they didn't fire MDA, cuz they know even if they did Dwight would still skip town.

think about it, Kobe never wanted Lakers to go after Dwight last summer, and the way Mitch and Jim welcome him to the team, they way they claimed Dwight being the future of this franchise must have eaten Kobe up alive inside.

i wish Lakers front office would have been more transparent to Dwight about Kobe's future. they can tell Dwight Kobe is staying a Laker as long as he wishes, OR they can tell Dwight indirectly that they will amnesty Kobe. the fact the front office tried to dodge this completely throughout the season was a big factor Dwight isn't here now.

I agree. Howard would have immediately committed to the Lakers if Kobe had announced his retirement after the season. However, I think Howard also comes back if Phil is the coach instead of MDA so Kobe wasn't the only reason.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Thank God he is not here anymore. While Dwight was whining and pouting, giving half-assed efforts because people didnt embrace him enough, Kobe was giving the team his all. Played himself to a ruptured achilles. I would rather have 3 years of an old Kobe than 10 years of Dwight.
lj12
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject:

Bottom line is. How can anyone claim to be loyal to the Lakers and hope for Kobe to be amnestied just to appease a joke of a big man that wants everything handed to him??!

Kobe Bryant is LA. He is the Lakers. It's disrespectful to even remotely think of the possibility of waiving him at the request of some clown.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject:

Kobe824 wrote:
5 years for 100 vs 3 years for 121? He would be making more money in the 3 year deal. How does the length of the contract benefit him in any way?

He got 5/100 instead of the 2/46 that LA offered. Neither was the 3/121 he wanted, but he got more with Miami.

I LOVE HOW ALL THESE SUB-500-POSTS-JUST-JOINED-LG-AFTER-THE-ASB-POSTERS-ARE-TRYING-TO-SCHOOL-US-ON-LAKERS-HISTORY!
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject:

Kobe824 wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I agree. Howard would have immediately committed to the Lakers if Kobe had announced his retirement after the season. However, I think Howard also comes back if Phil is the coach instead of MDA so Kobe wasn't the only reason.

No he wouldn't. Dwight wanted it to be his team. He wanted to be the man. They Lakers would have been ready to give that to Lebron next summer. You think Dwight would have been happy? He would never be the leader.
thegreatest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject:

Also, how good will Dwight be 4-5 years from now. With all the arguments about keeping Dwight, my greatest fear was having to pay him his next contract.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Hindsight is 20/20. In terms of Kobe not wanting to pass the mantle to Dwight, I think it's clear that Kobe was correct in this judgment. I understand why anyone is arguing for Dwight as the centerpiece of our franchise. I understand that he was playing hurt last season, but he did not play hard for long stretches of games because he was pouting. He didn't show anyone that he was ready to take the mantle from Kobe. In the end, Dwight wanted that mantle to be handed to him. From Kobe's standpoint, why was he going to do that? He had to prove that he was Shaq's equal while battling Shaq, Phil and his own personal demons. After all the dust settled, Kobe ended up putting himself in the discussion as the greatest Laker of all time and, by extension, the greatest player of all time. Kobe was never going to cater to a pampered, weak-minded individual like Dwight - not after what Kobe went through to earn his place among the pantheon of Laker greats.

As for the FO waffling, I can't blame them for that. They needed to see for themselves if Dwight was the real deal. For most of the season, Dwight showed that he wasn't. Early in the season, Dwight complained about the FO not supporting him when the media was on his case and stories were leaking about how members of the FO were critical of Dwight. The FO obviously felt that Dwight wasn't giving everything he could on the floor despite the injury, and the FO knows what that looks like after watching Kobe for a decade and a half. Heck, if a good portion of fans questioned Dwight's capability of leading this franchise, it's not hard to understand that the FO may have had reservations as well. They were never going to kiss his butt and promise him the world. That's never been the Lakers style. They went about as far as they could go with the billboards.

As for last season, when the FO put this team together last summer, I think they thought that Nash would be the glue that held everything together. However, after Nash got injured early in the season, things went downhill fast. The one thing that could've righted the ship was getting the right coach for this team. Passing on Phil was the biggest mistake the FO made by far, and they deserve all the blame for that one.

At the end of the day, you guys can rationalize why the Lakers lost Dwight. However, I believe that the FO was hoping that Dwight would choose the Lakers despite the perceived challenges. If Dwight had made the decision to stay, then the FO (and the fans) would've taken the first step towards believing that he was capable of leading this franchise, and the FO would've put the weight of their support behind him. As it stands, no player is greater than the Lakers organization, and I think you'll see that clearly if Kobe's refusal to take a paycut next summer handcuffs the Lakers ability to maximize their cap space.
bevwenz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject:

lj12 wrote:
Kobe Bryant is LA. He is the Lakers. It's disrespectful to even remotely think of the possibility of waiving him at the request of some clown.

No...no he is not LA, no he is not "the Lakers". He has been a great player and has had a great run, but in the 47 years before Bryant ever put on the Lakers uniform, the franchise went to 24 NBA finals. 24 in 47 years.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 842, 843, 844  Next
Page 843 of 844
Jump to: