Marcus Smart Putting on a Clinic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Smart has plenty of speed and he's just as athletic as Westbrook, Rose, or Bledsoe. This guy does 360's windmills has like a 40 inch vert and he's stronger. He's not as fast as Rose but neither is CP3 or Curry, he's on par with those guys. He's kinda of like a athletic Deron Williams with a bit of Gary Payton. Here's his highlights .

We definitely don't see the same thing, even when it's the same player.

The shooting is improved.

The vert is there. Vert is different from directional quickness and outright speed.

As opposed to this.

As fast/quick as Exum is, he's still not on Westbrook's, Rose's, and especially Bledsoe's level. At least Exum has height and length to compensate.

You don't draft Marcus Smart with the idea in mind that he's going to be your go to perimeter player on offense, IMO.

In the Exum video, I see a guy that's slightly faster than Smart who's going up against guys who are considerably slower.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject:

While Exum's athleticism in the open court is great, there does seem to be some varying views on his athleticism in the halfcourt, i.e. his first step/explosiveness. Does he have all-star perimeter player athleticism? Or is he going to have to rely more on improving his skills to become an all-star level guard?
bodyrock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject:

Smart has the potential to be a franchise player. Exum otoh, if he's lucky is Tony Parker w/o the accolades and at worst Devin Harris lol.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
While Exum's athleticism in the open court is great, there does seem to be some varying views on his athleticism in the halfcourt, i.e. his first step/explosiveness. Does he have all-star perimeter player athleticism? Or is he going to have to rely more on improving his skills to become an all-star level guard?

I think Exum's far more crafty than he is athletic. He has a good understanding of setting up his defender, which makes his first step look more explosive than it is. He strikes me as a very intelligent player. He's more athletic than Andre Miller, but he reminds me a lot of him in terms of his ability to get to the basket.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I think Exum has a good, but not bone-jarring first step. But, he combines a good first step with advanced ball-handling, and elite PG length.

All-Star perimeter player athleticism? I think so, especially if he's playing the PG position. MCW is putting up killer numbers across the board, and while he's a better passer, he has a similar first step, advanced ball-handling abilities in order to attack the paint.

At that kind of height/length/athleticism/skill combination, I don't see why he couldn't be an All-Star. Every time I watch him play FIBA or the Nike Hoops summit, he's blowing by guys. Fine by me. He makes Karesev look stapled to the floor.

When I watch Smart, I don't see the first step and/or shifty ball-handling to get by a guy. I see him constantly carrying a defender on his shoulder when he gets to the hoop. Sometimes it leads to bad shot selection in the painted area. When he shoots great behind the arc, the rest of his game opens up. But even when he scored 39 points, he was still shooting around 50% from the field. He wasn't exactly on fire. I see him as a volume shooting type of defensive PG.

He's the PG I'd love to have on a championship Laker squad for his defensive abilities alone, but I think Phil Jackson would prefer Exum.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
alhambra_zach
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Dante Exum is Reggie Miller with out a lights out jump shot. That's being generous.

Marcus Smart is a more dedicated version of Baron Davis at worst. Oscar Robertson clone at best. At UCLA Baron Davis was a lazy slob. If you have listened to Smart he is anything but lazy.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject:

alhambra_zach wrote:
Dante Exum is Reggie Miller with out a lights out jump shot. That's being generous.

Marcus Smart is a more dedicated version of Baron Davis at worst. Oscar Robertson clone at best. At UCLA Baron Davis was a lazy slob. If you have listened to Smart he is anything but lazy.

Baron Davis was as explosive as Westbrook at 6'2" and carried all that weight.

Smart is nowhere near as quick of explosive. BDiddy dunked in traffic, posterized centers, and blocked their shots.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject:

alhambra_zach wrote:

Nowhere close to true. Miller didn't have the ball-handling, passing, defense, or finishing ability.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject:

alhambra_zach wrote:

Other than being tall and skinny, I can't think of a single thing that would make me compare Exum to Miller.
LakerLand247
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
alhambra_zach wrote:

Other than being tall and skinny, I can't think of a single thing that would make me compare Exum to Miller.

Cavs scout at its finest.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject:

Can't stand Smart. Flops way too much
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject:

i was impressed with the impact smart had on the game while having a bad day in terms of his own offense.

this game only made me like him more.

he shouldn't go any lower than 6th.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject:

He will win an MVP one day.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject:

I like his defensive possibilities.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

"There's no such thing as a point guard defender."

And then you watch a guy like Smart, and realize, they're out there.

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

"There's no such thing as a point guard defender."

And then you watch a guy like Smart, and realize, they're out there.

Also when you watch guards like Avery Bradley and Victor Oladipo.
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Would love to get Smart, but I can't see the Kings passing up on him. He's perfect for that team, imo. Young point guard that's a leader. Meshes well with Thomas if they want to go small. With that trade for Gay they are going for a win now mindset and Smart can help them immediately.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Watching Smart today and he has some big personality issues. If things do not go his way he pouts and throws a tantrum. He does not handle adversity well at all.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

I think Exum has a good, but not bone-jarring first step. But, he combines a good first step with advanced ball-handling, and elite PG length.

All-Star perimeter player athleticism? I think so, especially if he's playing the PG position. MCW is putting up killer numbers across the board, and while he's a better passer, he has a similar first step, advanced ball-handling abilities in order to attack the paint.

At that kind of height/length/athleticism/skill combination, I don't see why he couldn't be an All-Star. Every time I watch him play FIBA or the Nike Hoops summit, he's blowing by guys. Fine by me. He makes Karesev look stapled to the floor.

When I watch Smart, I don't see the first step and/or shifty ball-handling to get by a guy. I see him constantly carrying a defender on his shoulder when he gets to the hoop. Sometimes it leads to bad shot selection in the painted area. When he shoots great behind the arc, the rest of his game opens up. But even when he scored 39 points, he was still shooting around 50% from the field. He wasn't exactly on fire. I see him as a volume shooting type of defensive PG.

He's the PG I'd love to have on a championship Laker squad for his defensive abilities alone, but I think Phil Jackson would prefer Exum.
mike breaks it down again. this is pretty much what i thought out smart. would love to have him....as an addition to..not as the main cog.
smart = stuckey . with a better/more reliable jumper. and probably slightly better passing. stucky is an awful pg.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject:

TheElectronica wrote:
Would love to get Smart, but I can't see the Kings passing up on him. He's perfect for that team, imo. Young point guard that's a leader. Meshes well with Thomas if they want to go small. With that trade for Gay they are going for a win now mindset and Smart can help them immediately.
if they're stupid they draft smart. if they're smart. they go else where. they should have learned their lesson with Tyreke. no more so called point guards that are short sg's.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
alhambra_zach wrote:

Nowhere close to true. Miller didn't have the ball-handling, passing, defense, or finishing ability.
miller. lol. uhh NO.

Exum = kobe out of high school if he was a pg/sg instead of a pure scoring guard. same level of intelligence. anytime you get a kid under the age of 23 that knows how to use his height in the post and he's a perimeter player let alone a point guard. you already know you're dealing with a high bball iq.

the fact he cant shoot very well will be worked on. that can be easily fixed in a small amt of time ( a year or two). but what gives him time to learn is that he gets to the ft line and isnt afraid of contact. but while doing so he is still looking to setup teammates all over the floor.

any young guy that can run the pick n roll/pop this early in life is again a high bball iq guy.

he's a solid defender even though he's a tall pg. most tall pg's dont play defensive that well on other normal sized/ smaller pg's. not so with Ex.

his athleticism is around penny hardaways when it comes to his first step. but he has penny after 3 years in the nba type of footwork again showing his work ethic and hoop IQ. footwork lasts forever. athleticism dies.

the guy also knows how to play off the ball. i'm not just talking about being mentally okay with it. he moves great without the ball. thats difficult for almost every guy that is used to playing on the ball(especially pg's). again more hoop IQ.

this means you cant shut him down by trying to keep the ball out of his hands. he will still find away to catch you off guard and score.

he's a guy you draft if he's still around when its your turn. every team in the nba can use this guy.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject:

TheElectronica wrote:

Reportedly the Kings prefer Exum to Smart. I see them taking Exum if he is availiable.
malicious_intent
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject:

smart is one of the better prospects out there and i wouldn't mind getting him if were land at 6
Potato-Mania
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
Watching Smart today and he has some big personality issues. If things do not go his way he pouts and throws a tantrum. He does not handle adversity well at all.

Personality is one thing you do not have to worry about with Smart. That was the only time I have seen him get flustered in two years. Sure he has his flaws in his game but Marcus is a leader, I know he didn't show it that day but you ask anyone in that locker room who the leader is and they will tell you Marcus.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject:

Potato-Mania wrote:
kaoss128 wrote:

Personality is one thing you do not have to worry about with Smart. That was the only time I have seen him get flustered in two years. Sure he has his flaws in his game but Marcus is a leader, I know he didn't show it that day but you ask anyone in that locker room who the leader is and they will tell you Marcus.

He's a leader when things are going his way. He looked like a punk the other day.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: