Lakers in the News 2/1/14 - 2/3/14: Suns & Lakers continue trade talks & Lakers Week 15 predictions by E.P.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers: Help is on the way…in 2015
3 6 PLUS FANCRED 0
BY MICHAEL SAENZ - JAN 31ST, 2014 AT 10:43 AM

For the most part, Los Angeles Lakers fans always feel that they should get what they want. Their big name free agents rarely leave (apart from Dwight Howard, but they really didn’t want him, right) and they usually attract your favorite team’s free agents. Again, when they want.

And for a long while, they didn’t “want” or need any of those big free agent names. They didn’t need LeBron James, they didn’t need Dwyane Wade and they didn’t need Chris Bosh. But now, all that has changed. Howard left them high-and-dry and now, with Kobe Bryant on the decline, they want free agents again. They need a new face.

Kevin Love may in fact be just that.

An anonymous general manager reportedly told ESPN insider Chris Broussard that All-Star forward Kevin Love coming to the Lakers as a free agent in 2015 is “a 100 percent certainty.”

http://sircharlesincharge.com/2014/01/31/los-angeles-lakers-help-way-2015/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Suns explore deal for Pau Gasol
Updated: February 2, 2014, 6:04 PM ET
By Marc Stein | ESPN.com

The Phoenix Suns have emerged as a potential trade suitor for Los Angeles Lakers center Pau Gasol, according to sources close to the process.

Sources told ESPN.com that the Suns, among the options being weighed as part of their well-chronicled desire to acquire an established player as they make an unexpected playoff push this season, have been exploring the feasibility of trading for the Lakers' four-time All-Star.

The Suns are weighing the possibility of a trade for the Lakers' Pau Gasol, according to sources.
One option for the Suns, by virtue of their $5.6 million in available salary-cap space, is swapping the expiring contract of injured big man Emeka Okafor for Gasol, even though Okafor's $14.5 million salary this season falls well shy of Gasol's $19.3 million.

The Lakers engaged in similar trade discussions in late December and early January with Cleveland in a proposed deal that would have sent Gasol to the Cavaliers for the partially guaranteed contract of ex-Lakers center Andrew Bynum, who then would have been waived to help L.A. save roughly $20 million in salary and luxury-tax obligations.

Those talks, though, broke down because of the Lakers' insistence on receiving another asset of value in addition to the significant financial benefits, only for L.A. to see Cleveland successfully switch gears and trade Bynum to the Chicago Bulls for Luol Deng.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10392533/phoenix-suns-explore-deal-los-angeles-lakers-pau-gasol
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Suns considering trade for Lakers' Pau Gasol - ESPN
February 3, 2014 7:52am

Pau Gasol (L). Anthony Gruppuso-USA TODAY Sports / Reuters

The Phoenix Suns are considering a trade for Los Angeles Lakers big man Pau Gasol, ESPN's Marc Stein reported Sunday (Monday, PHL time), citing league sources.

At the heart of any trade between the two teams would be the expiring contract of injured center Emeka Okafor going to LA in exchange for Gasol. The Suns are under the cap and can absorb Gasol's bigger salary ($14.5 million for Okafor versus $19.3 million for Gasol), resulting in the Lakers getting some financial relief.

The thinking behind the Lakers' side of the deal is similar to when they earlier in January considered dealing Gasol for then-Cleveland Cavaliers center Andrew Bynum. Instead, the Cavs dealt Bynum to the Chicago Bulls, who waived him and his only partially-guaranteed salary to get under the tax line.

However, like in that proposed Cleveland deal, the Lakers are adamantly looking for something in addition to just financial benefits, such as extra draft picks or a young player.

For the Suns, getting Gasol would give them a veteran presence down low, a major boost for such a young team. Their only true big men right now are sophomore Miles Plumlee and rookie Alex Len, the latter still working his way back from a foot injury.

Gasol's deal is also an expiring contract, which means he is not locked-in long-term to the Suns, should the fit not be right.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/346718/sports/basketball/nba-suns-considering-trade-for-lakers-pau-gasol-espn
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
If Kobe took 18 Million instead of 24, LA would be in position to acquire two max players instead of one. That contract was the final nail in the coffin of his hopes to win a sixth ring.
The more important question is what two REALISTIC max player would be available?

Lebron is not coming
Melo is just a very talented scorer
Bosh is not a max player
Aldridge is not a max player
DWade is not coming
Rondo would be great
Bledsoe is not a max player
Durant is not leaving OKC
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject:

JayLida wrote:
King beef wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
King beef wrote:
Kobe is going to be the highest paid player in the league for the next 2 years so Kobe is going to be a part of the Lakers plans for the next 2 years.

I highly recommend that the Lakers proceed like that contract was a mistake. The Lakers should proceed like Kobe is a contract that they are waiting to get off the books. A core of Bledsoe, Love and Kobe doesnt win in the West. That core with a couple of high impact rookies might make some noise though.

THe point is that Kobe can no longer lead a team to a title, he is an auxillary piece. I dont know that Love could lead a team to a title either. The Lakers have some thinking to do.

I'd reserve judgment until after he returns. I wouldn't underestimate Vino.

You go ahead and reserve judgement, I dont need to. Furthermore, Kobe is a man, he isnt wine. Men age. Simply put, as far as a title goes the Lakers have their hands tied until Kobe comes off the books.

Post like this is why The Lakers will succeed. Most are so brain washed with ESPN sources, which is why you get ban wagon fans who no nothing about winning. You go ahead and have your opinion, you are intitled to it just make sure your here when the Lakers do succeed with Kobe. SMH at you supposed Laker fans

This is truth.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Stein: Suns considering Lakers' Pau Gasol for Emeka Okafor's contract and remaining cap space
By Dave King  @DaveKingNBA on Feb 2 2014, 5:32p 148

Jennifer Stewart-USA TODAY Sport
The Phoenix Suns want a star. Is that Pau Gasol?

According to Marc Stein, the Phoenix Suns are thinking about acquiring Pau Gasol in exchange for their cap space.

Logic would dictate that, if a deal such as this goes through, the Suns would NOT include any other assets.

But logic would also dictate that acquiring nothing but Gasol would potentially mess up the Suns rotation, benching Miles Plumlee and telling Alex Len to wait till next year.

My sense is that the Lakers would like this to happen, and that they would love to get a first round pick from the Suns too. I just don't see that happening.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2014/2/2/5372264/stein-suns-considering-lakers-pau-gasol-for-emeka-okafors-contract
SmokeAndAshes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Quote:
Stein: Suns considering Lakers' Pau Gasol for Emeka Okafor's contract and remaining cap space

According to Marc Stein, the Phoenix Suns are thinking about acquiring Pau Gasol in exchange for their cap space.

Logic would dictate that, if a deal such as this goes through, the Suns would NOT include any other assets.

But logic would also dictate that acquiring nothing but Gasol would potentially mess up the Suns rotation, benching Miles Plumlee and telling Alex Len to wait till next year.

My sense is that the Lakers would like this to happen, and that they would love to get a first round pick from the Suns too. I just don't see that happening.

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/2014/2/2/5372264/stein-suns-considering-lakers-pau-gasol-for-emeka-okafors-contract

I don't understand that thinking. You expect to give up an injured Okafor for a relatively healthy Gasol who's been averaging almost 20-and-10 for a month now, and the Lakers get nothing else??? Why would they do that??

Super luxury taxes don't kick in till next year, and even if the Lakers can't trade Pau now, they could sign-and-trade him after the season or just let him walk?

The only thing that deal gets us is more losses, and I doubt the Lakers are into tanking so openly.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
JayLida wrote:
King beef wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
King beef wrote:
Kobe is going to be the highest paid player in the league for the next 2 years so Kobe is going to be a part of the Lakers plans for the next 2 years.

I highly recommend that the Lakers proceed like that contract was a mistake. The Lakers should proceed like Kobe is a contract that they are waiting to get off the books. A core of Bledsoe, Love and Kobe doesnt win in the West. That core with a couple of high impact rookies might make some noise though.

THe point is that Kobe can no longer lead a team to a title, he is an auxillary piece. I dont know that Love could lead a team to a title either. The Lakers have some thinking to do.
You go ahead and reserve judgement, I dont need to. Furthermore, Kobe is a man, he isnt wine. Men age. Simply put, as far as a title goes the Lakers have their hands tied until Kobe comes off the books.
Post like this is why The Lakers will succeed. Most are so brain washed with ESPN sources, which is why you get ban wagon fans who no nothing about winning. You go ahead and have your opinion, you are intitled to it just make sure your here when the Lakers do succeed with Kobe. SMH at you supposed Laker fans
This is truth.
The Black Mamba and the Lakers' FO appreciate and embrace all the naysayers to again bring the chapter of greatness to continue their legacy.

The Laker tradition of going "All In" for greatness has prpted them to take calculated gambles/moves that got them Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Kobe, Shaq, Pau and others.
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
JayLida wrote:
King beef wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
King beef wrote:

This is truth.
The Black Mamba and the Lakers' FO appreciate and embrace all the naysayers to again bring the chapter of greatness to continue their legacy.

The Laker tradition of going "All In" for greatness has prpted them to take calculated gambles/moves that got them Kareem, Magic, Worthy, Kobe, Shaq, Pau and others.

How was getting any of these guys considered "gambles"? Kareem was a no brainer. Kobe was part of the process to get Shaq which was a no brainer. Pau was a no brainer. Worthy being replaced by Wilkins or Cummings is not much of a drop off if at all. The only "gamble" was Magic and that was when Jerry West who knew a hell of a lot more bball than Jerry Buss wanted Moncrief and Buss wanted Magic. The new owner who knew less bball than Jerry West had forgot got lucky with the right player
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject:

SmokeAndAshes wrote:
Cha*n wrote:
Quote:

I don't understand that thinking. You expect to give up an injured Okafor for a relatively healthy Gasol who's been averaging almost 20-and-10 for a month now, and the Lakers get nothing else??? Why would they do that??

Super luxury taxes don't kick in till next year, and even if the Lakers can't trade Pau now, they could sign-and-trade him after the season or just let him walk?

The only thing that deal gets us is more losses, and I doubt the Lakers are into tanking so openly.
If they trade Pau now, they will be within $3M of being below the Cap this year

Pau is a definitely talented offensive player, but IF the Lakers make the trade - they will be given added assets that might be in the form of one of their many 1st round draft choices.

If they trade 1 pg, they will be below the Cap
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Trade pau to get all of our picks back
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Trade pau to get all of our picks back
Pau for Okafor and our 2015 1st back works for me.
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject:

x75274 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
JayLida wrote:
King beef wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
King beef wrote:

This is truth.

How was getting any of these guys considered "gambles"? Kareem was a no brainer. Kobe was part of the process to get Shaq which was a no brainer. Pau was a no brainer. Worthy being replaced by Wilkins or Cummings is not much of a drop off if at all. The only "gamble" was Magic and that was when Jerry West who knew a hell of a lot more bball than Jerry Buss wanted Moncrief and Buss wanted Magic. The new owner who knew less bball than Jerry West had forgot got lucky with the right player

Buss did not own the Lakers when Magic was drafted. It is also a falsehood that his purchase of the team was contingent on the drafting of Buck.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
x75274 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
JayLida wrote:
King beef wrote:
ReaListik wrote:
King beef wrote:

This is truth.

Buss did not own the Lakers when Magic was drafted. It is also a falsehood that his purchase of the team was contingent on the drafting of Buck.
The trades/signings were gambles because EVERY NBA team had the opportunity to get all those players, as has been stayed ad naseum.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject:

I can understand the lakers considering a Suns deal, which like the Bynum deal that didn't happen, helps in several areas.

1. Gets us under luxury tax penalities.
2. Basically tanks the rest of the year, losing a good player and replacing him with someone either injured, or in all honesty, not at Gasols production level of 17-20 ppg and 8-10 rebounds.
3. Sets up a better draft position.

But like the Cavs deal, we want a pick or young player back as part of the deal. If the Suns will give us a young player or 1st round back, we take it.
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject:

It all comes down to that draft pick. The Suns have four first rd picks in this year's draft and two in next year's. If they think we're just going to accept Pau for Okafor straight up just to save a few bucks they're wrong. The Suns have their own pick, Washington's, Minnesota's, and Indiana's. We're probably not getting Minnesota's with it being a probable lotto pick and I don't want Indiana's (last pick of rd 1). If they are willing to deal us either their own pick or preferably Washington's pick, I'd do that. Obviously I would take either the Suns pick next year or our pick back, but I don't see that as likely.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject:

Clippers sign another ex-Laker: Sasha Vujacic (10 day contract)

Quote:
Per the NBA, with the Clippers signing of Sasha Vujacic the league now has 93 international players from 39 countries, an all-time high

Read more: http://hoopshype.com/twitter/media.html#ixzz2sIEhPATA
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Lakers in talks to trade Pau Gasol to Phoenix Suns
The Suns can offer the Lakers a first-round draft pick, and center Emeka Okafor would be part of the deal.

By Mike Bresnahan
February 2, 2014, 8:58 p.m.
The Lakers have moved closer to starting their rebuilding process, engaging in trade discussions with the Phoenix Suns for veteran forward Pau Gasol, according to a person familiar with the situation.
The Lakers are hoping to shed Gasol's salary and accrue future draft picks before the Feb. 20 trade deadline.
It's usually a no-no to deal with a division rival, but the Suns have quietly stockpiled draft choices and can offer the Lakers a first-rounder in the June draft, considered one of the best in years. The Suns could hold up to four first-round picks this year, depending on the records of past trade partners Minnesota, Indiana and Washington.
The Lakers are almost surely lottery-bound and currently hold the seventh pick in the draft.
As part of the deal, the Lakers would acquire veteran center Emeka Okafor, who has not played this season because of a neck injury.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20140203,0,5095796.story#ixzz2sIdXrGNA

Last edited by Cha*n on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Preview: Lakers Week 15 predictions

Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Love, right, drives inside on Lakers forward Wesley Johnson during a November game at Staples Center. The Lakers play on the road at Minnesota on Tuesday. (Michael Nelson / EPA / November 10, 2013)
By Eric Pincus
February 3, 2014, 8:00 a.m.

The Lakers head back out on the road for a three-game trip but they'll leave Pau Gasol behind with a groin injury.

The team may get back point guards Steve Nash (back), Steve Blake (elbow) and Jordan Farmar (hamstring), but with the playoffs out of the picture -- losing is winning for the Lakers when it comes to the 2014 NBA draft lottery.

Both Kobe Bryant and Xavier Henry are out with injury (knee).

Through 47 games, the Lakers have just 16 wins, three behind cumulative expectations at 16-31.

Tuesday at Minnesota Timberwolves

The Timberwolves (23-24) have struggled, playing without center Nikola Pekovic (ankle).

While they've dropped two straight, they're not down like the Lakers, who have lost six in a row.

Kevin Love is one of the top power forwards in the league. Back in November, Love scored 25 -- helping to knock the Lakers out early with a 41-point first quarter from the Wolves.

The Lakers did defeat Minnesota in December, behind 21 points each from Gasol and Henry, but neither will be available on Tuesday.

Nick Young did score 25 in the Lakers' win, but he probably won't have enough help, (even with the Wolves out Pekovic).

The possible return of Nash, Blake and/or Farmar could give the Lakers a boost, but it's been a long time since any of the three were able to contribute to a Lakers' victory.

Prediction: Timberwolves

Wednesday at Cleveland Cavaliers

The Cavaliers (16-31) are really struggling, des

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-week-15-predictions-20140202,0,279316.story#ixzz2sIdmyO00
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Suns should just give us the pick back, they gave us rotten tomato in Nash!!!!
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject:

LakersMDGurl wrote:
Suns should just give us the pick back, they gave us rotten tomato in Nash!!!!

Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers' Steve Nash set to return
Updated: February 3, 2014, 5:01 PM ET
By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Lakers will embark on their three-game road trip without Kobe Bryant (left knee fracture) or Pau Gasol (strained right groin) joining the team on the flight to Minneapolis on Monday. Come Tuesday, however, the Lakers finally expect to have some other healthy bodies back in the lineup.

Steve Nash, Steve Blake and Jordan Farmar all practiced Monday and will be available to play against the Minnesota Timberwolves on Tuesday, barring any setbacks.

"They're good," said Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni. "I think they're all ready to go."

D'Antoni made sure to hedge a bit on the status update, however, and with as snake-bitten as his team has been one, could hardly blame him.

"It's possible," D'Antoni said. "We'll see how everybody wakes up, but there is a possibility all three could play."

The coach said that he wondered if Nash, out since Nov. 10 with nerve root irritation in his back and hamstrings, would ever make it back on the court.

"With the age and how his back is, yeah, I definitely [wondered]," said D'Antoni. "Again, it just shows his perseverance to overcome whatever just to play. He wants to play, obviously. And he's done an unbelievable job to get himself ready up to this point and we'll see how it goes."

Gasol's absence and the three point guards' presence will present D'Antoni with some lineup decisions to make. The coach said either Chris Kaman, Jordan Hill or Robert Sacre could fill in as the starting center.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10398788/los-angeles-lakers-likely-get-steve-nash-steve-blake-jordan-farmar-back-tuesday?ex_cid=espnapi_public
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Steve Nash, Jordan Farmar, Steve Blake to return Tuesday for Lakers
By Matt Moore | NBA writer
February 3, 2014 4:10 pm ET

Steve Nash is thinking about returning Tuesday. (USATSI)
Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni told reporters Monday that he expects his point guard corps of Steve Nash, Jordan Farmar, and Steve Blake to return Tuesday in Minnesota, though only Nash and Blake will play that day. The three have played a combined 49 games this season.

Nash is obviously the biggest name of the group but the former MVP just hasn't been the same since leaving Phoenix's training staff. He's been hampered by constant problems with this degenerative back issue and has needed multiple epidurals. Reading his interviews at this point is overwhelmingly depressive for anyone who appreciated his other-wordly passing ability.

Blake suffered a torn ligament in his elbow in December, and Farmar tore his hamstring in January. The Lakers then ran Kobe Bryant at point until his leg fractured... you get the idea. It's ben bad. But they signed Kendall Marshall who has been downright good for them, making plays and knocking down threes. The team's still awful, of course, but hey, there's some good news.

Now you wonder if the Lakers will look to deal one of their now-four point guards at the deadline. Nash, Blake, and Farmar are all expiring contracts and Marshall is only guaranteed for this season.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24428733/steve-nash-jordan-farmar-steve-blake-to-return-tuesday-for-lakers
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers' six starting point guards haven't posted winning records

The Lakers went 7-8 with Steve Blake playing at point guard this season. (Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times / October 22, 2013)
By Eric Pincus
February 2, 2014, 7:38 p.m.

The Lakers could get back three point guards in the coming week as Steve Nash (back), Steve Blake (elbow) and Jordan Farmar (hamstring) are getting closer to returning.

The Lakers (16-31) have started six players at point guard, including Kobe Bryant and Xavier Henry out of position. Bryant and Henry are sidelined for at least a few more weeks because of knee injuries.

None of the six have a winning record.

The Lakers won three of the six games Nash started at point guard.

The team split four games with Bryant starting at the position. Bryant started two games at shooting guard before the team lost Blake and Farmar.

In Blake's 15 starts at point guard, the Lakers were 7-8. Blake started six games at shooting guard before Bryant returned from an Achilles' tendon injury.

The Lakers didn't win a game when Farmar started four times at point guard. The team was 1-2 with Henry starting at the position.

Finally, the Kendall Marshall era hasn't exactly been fruitful. Through his 15 starts at pooint guard, the Lakers are 3-12.

Injuries have defined the season for the Lakers. Through 47 games, the entire roster hasn't been available on a single game.

Now Pau Gasol is sidelined for a week because of a groin injury.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-point-guards-winning-record-20140202,0,3137457.story#ixzz2sIgLfc6Y
KobeDwightPauStevie
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Where is the prediction by EP? I don't see it
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: