Lakers in the News 2/12/14: Kobe Bryant Wants L.A. to Hold Onto Pau Gasol
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 2/12/14: Kobe Bryant Wants L.A. to Hold Onto Pau Gasol

Quote:
Steve Nash says he doesn't expect to play Thursday against Thunder
Steve Nash did not return for the second half of Tuesday's loss to the Utah Jazz, 96-79, because of discomfort in his leg and back. (Danny Moloshok / Associated Press / February 11, 2014)
By Eric Pincus
February 12, 2014, 2:18 p.m.

For two straight games, Steve Nash left early with back, knee and hamstring issues, all related to the chronic nerve root irritation that has kept him out of the Lakers' lineup for most of the season.

"It's pretty much the same thing. It was provoked by hitting that nerve where I broke my leg, but it just provokes the whole nerve root," said Nash. "It was just sore from Sunday."

Nash hurt his knee in a collision Sunday in a loss to the Chicago Bulls, leaving in the third quarter. He wasn't able to play the second half Tuesday, as the Lakers fell to the Utah Jazz.

POLL: Should Steve Nash retire?

Now the Lakers guard expects to sit out the team's final game before the All-Star break, when the Oklahoma City Thunder visit Staples Center on Thursday.

"I don't think I'll play tomorrow," Nash said on Wednesday at the team's practice facility in El Segundo.

The Lakers didn't have enough healthy bodies to practice. Instead, the team watched film and shot around.

"After having a really good week in Minnesota and Philadelphia, to have a setback is frustrating. Getting hit in the exact spot where I broke my leg was unlucky," he said. "You've got to fight through the frustration and do what you can to get back out there."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-steve-nash-doesnt-expect-play-thursday-20140212,0,3686946.story#ixzz2t9PjekHp

Last edited by Cha*n on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Should Steve Nash retire? (poll)

Should Steve Nash call it quits? (Danny Moloshok / Associated Press)
By Houston Mitchell
February 12, 2014, 8:49 a.m.

Steve Nash has had a tough time since signing with the Lakers before the 2012-13 season. A host of injuries have reduced him to a shadow of his former self. Is it time for him to just step aside and retire?

On Tuesday, he left after playing only 17 minutes against the Utah Jazz because of discomfort in his leg and back.

Nash has played in 60 of a possible 134 games for the Lakers, and his injuries the last two seasons read like a bad episode of "Grey's Anatomy": broken leg, stiff neck, sore ankle, painful hip, irritated hamstring, bad back, lame knee.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-should-steve-nash-retire-poll-20140212,0,3829775.story#ixzz2t9QpJtPi
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Steve Nash out against Thunder
Updated: February 12, 2014, 5:44 PM ET
By Dave McMenamin | ESPNLosAngeles.com

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Lakers expressed hope this week that they could come out of the All-Star break with some healthy players' returns on the horizon.

Instead, they couldn't even make it to the weekend without a few more injuries to the roster.

Steve Nash said he will not play against the Oklahoma City Thunder on Thursday because of nerve irritation in his back and hamstrings stemming from a collision to his left leg with Chicago's Kirk Hinrich on Sunday.

Steve Nash will miss Thursday's game against the Thunder due to ongoing nerve irritation.
"It's just a little irritation and a flare up, that's it," said Nash, who felt sore Wednesday and added that his latest setback was not the result of any specific play in Tuesday's 96-79 loss to the Utah Jazz. "I don't have much more to say about it."

Nash did not participate in any on-court drills as the Lakers were unable to hold a proper practice with just eight players available, limiting their day's work to a film session and voluntary shooting drills. Nash, the oldest active player in the league having just turned 40 last week, was asked about Lakers fans calling for him to retire. He is under contract for next season for $9.7 million.

"I'm kind of oblivious to the noise," Nash said. "I think after 18 years, you're not really as affected by it anyways. I didn't pound my chest when people told me I was great for a long time in my career and I'm not going to let it affect me when people think that I should look at myself in the mirror."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10445959/steve-nash-los-angeles-lakers-miss-game-oklahoma-city-thunder

Last edited by Cha*n on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers' Henry to miss an additional four weeks
Published February 12, 2014Sports Network
Los Angeles, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - The Los Angeles Lakers announced on Wednesday that guard Xavier Henry will recieve a cortisone shot in his injured knee and will miss approximately four more weeks.

Henry orginally injured the knee in a 111-104 loss to the Philadelphia 76ers on Dec. 29 and has missed the past 21 games.

The 6-foot-6 guard out of Kansas is averaging 10.1 points with 2.8 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 31 games this season.

Teammate Steve Blake does expect to play Thursday against Oklahoma City, although the guard has felt discomfort in his previously injured elbow that caused him to miss 26 games this season.

Steve Nash, however, does not expect to play against the Thunder after exiting Tuesday's game against Utah with discomfort in his troublesome back.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/02/12/lakers-henry-to-miss-additional-four-weeks/
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject:

COMMENTARY:

Quote:
Steve Nash Has Right to Finish the Season
After Tuesday, Steve Nash Is on the Books for the Los Angeles Lakers, so Now It Is Time to Support the All-Time Great in What Is Likely His Final Season
By Shahan Ahmed

Steve Nash shoots at the Lakers' practice facility.

COMMENTARY | During Tuesday's blowout loss to the Utah Jazz, Steve Nash played one half of basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers, but that was one half more than a large contingent of Lakers fans wished he had played.

Prior to Tuesday's loss, Nash had appeared in fewer than 10 games this season. Had Nash been entirely unable to play this season or taken the route of medical retirement prior to Tuesday's appearance, he would not have cost the Lakers any money against the salary cap next season. Exactly one year from the second game of the Lakers' four-game sweep to the San Antonio Spurs, Nash would come off the Lakers' books.

Had Nash been unable to appear in 10 games this season, the Lakers would be excused from counting any of Nash's $9.7 million salary for the 2014-15 season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steve-nash-finish-season-163800664--nba.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Thunder-Lakers Preview
By NOEY KUPCHAN (STATS Writer)
1 hour ago
AP - Sports

After coming up short against one of the NBA's bottom feeders, the Los Angeles Lakers are on the brink of the longest home losing streak in team history.

Kevin Durant and the surging Oklahoma City Thunder try to hand the Lakers a seventh consecutive loss at Staples Center before heading into the All-Star break.

Injury-plagued Los Angeles (18-34) has dropped 21 of 26, including six in a row on its own court after falling 96-79 to last-place Utah on Tuesday. The Lakers haven't suffered seven straight home defeats in a season since moving to Los Angeles in 1960.

"We just have to get through this period and get guys back after the All-Star break," said coach Mike D'Antoni, who has used 26 different starting lineups this season. "We'll have three or four guys back then, and that will help."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/thunder-lakers-preview-212410020--nba.html
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Xavier Henry to have his knee drained; out another four weeks

Lakers forward Xavier Henry, left, battles Minnesota Timberwolves guard J.J. Barea for a loose ball during the second half of a Dec. 20 win. Henry will continue to be out of the lineup for the Lakers for at least another month. (Chris Carlson / Associated Press / December 20, 2013)
By Eric Pincus This post has been updated. See the note below for details.
February 12, 2014, 1:20 p.m.

The Lakers hoped they'd field close to a full roster after this weekend's All-Star break, but Xavier Henry will be out at least another four weeks.

The 6-foot-6 guard will have his knee drained and receive a cortisone shot on Wednesday, according to team spokesman John Black.

Henry was injured on Dec. 29 in a loss to the Philadelphia 76ers at Staples Center. He was originally diagnosed with a bone bruise and an "abnormality of the lateral meniscus."

The original timeline for Henry was seven to 10 days, but after a number of fits and starts, the knee simply hasn't healed.

Henry tweeted a Bible verse Wednesday, presumably with his injury in mind.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-xavier-henry-knee-injury-20140212,0,3992940.story#ixzz2t9UJoQTO
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Steve Nash likely to miss another week
Natalie Venegas

FOX Sports West

FEB 12, 2014 2:57p ET

Derick E. Hingle / Getty Images
The injury bug strikes the Lakers again...but is it really surprising these days?

Steve Nash celebrated his 40th birthday last Friday, but it's been a brutal week so far for the eight-time All-Star.

On Tuesday, the Lakers guard was forced to leave his second straight game due to nerve root irritation after playing just 16 minutes, and he likely won't be back until after the All-Star break.

"I think I need a little more time to get over the hump," Nash told the Los Angeles Times after the team's 96-79 loss against the Jazz.

Even worse, Tuesday's loss marked Nash's 10th game of the season, which means if he opts for medical retirement, his contract remains intact for one year after his last game played. Had he played less than 10 games, his salary would come off the books a year after the final game played last season, which would have given Lakers some much-needed freedom of spending this summer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/west/story/steve-nash-likely-to-miss-another-week-021214
erisian
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Lakers' Henry to miss an additional four weeks
Published February 12, 2014Sports Network
Los Angeles, CA (SportsNetwork.com) - The Los Angeles Lakers announced on Wednesday that guard Xavier Henry will recieve a cortisone shot in his injured knee and will miss approximately four more weeks.

Last edited by erisian on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
usa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject:

I know Nash doesn't want to think about retirement yet. He probably wants to finish this season before he considers it. He may have said to himself if I can finish off this season somehow I will hang it up. But as much he and fans that are rooting for him to comeback to just leave on his terms his body has completely given up on him. The end came so fast that no one saw it coming. But its time to accept it and think about his health long term. Steve Nash please retire gracefully
theunknownsoldier
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Yay, now we are down to 2 guards total vs the Thunder! (Blake and Marshall) Who needs Manny Harris!!!! They have to sign another player to a 10 day contract, can't see them just using 2 to fill both pg/sg spots for a full 48 minutes.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Nash really needs to wear shin guards or something.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Hehe, MDA worked Nash and Farmar till they got injured again!!!! #TankKing!!!!!!!!!
madsen35
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Nash really needs to wear shin guards or something.

Yeah, why doesn't Nash wear padding on his legs?

Also, the Lakers have the worst luck and the worst training staff in the NBA.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Almost 1400 votes in the poll and over 90% think Nash should retire.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers fail to sell out another game at Staples Center

Coach Mike D'Antoni voices his frustration during the second half of the Lakers' 96-79 loss Tuesday to the Utah Jazz at Staples Center. (Lawrence K. Ho / Los Angeles Times / February 11, 2014)
By Ben Bolch
February 12, 2014, 10:13 a.m.

The most compelling number to watch in the Lakers' box scores the rest of the season could be home attendance.

The Lakers failed to sell out a game Tuesday for the second time this season when they drew a season-low 18,209 against the Utah Jazz, ending a 17-game sellout streak dating to November. The previous non-sellout against the New Orleans Pelicans on Nov. 12 ended a far more impressive streak of 270 consecutive regular-season games (and 320 including the playoffs) going back to December 2006.

The Lakers rank eighth in the NBA in home attendance, averaging 18,937 fans per game. The Clippers have sold out every game this season and rank seventh in league attendance, averaging 19,196 fans. The Chicago Bulls lead the league with an average of 21,639 fans.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-fail-to-sell-out-another-game-at-staples-center-20140212,0,4888659.story#ixzz2t9sVoOWS
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers News and Trade Rumors: Kobe Bryant Wants L.A. to Hold Onto Pau Gasol
Paul John RiveraFeb 12, 2014 11:52 AM EST

Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant, left, wants to continue playing alongside Pau Gasol, right, beyond the current season. (Photo : Reuters)
Pau Gasol is at the center of trade rumors once again, but the Los Angeles Lakers might hold onto him beyond the NBA trade deadline, and possibly beyond the current season—or at least, that's what Lakers star Kobe Bryant hopes.
NBA analyst David Aldridge reported on Monday that Lakers superstar guard Kobe Bryant is still pushing for the Lakers to keep Gasol.

The superstar guard, who has been a vocal supporter of his longtime teammate, is still optimistic that his partnership with Gasol will produce another title for the Lakers in the near future.
Bryant signed a two-year extension worth $48.5 million earlier in the season, and sources said that one of the reasons why the superstar guard agreed to the extension is the Lakers' promise to keep Gasol, while also adding another big-name free agent this summer.

"When Bryant's extension was announced, Bryant made it crystal clear he'd been told by Lakers management that not only would the team be able to re-sign Gasol this summer despite Bryant's huge numbers, but also be able to add an impact free agent," Aldridge noted.
Recent reports indicated that the Lakers were engaged in deep talks with the Phoenix Suns about a deal involving the 33-year-old center, who has been playing well for the Lakers this season, averaging 17.0 points and 10.2 rebounds per game.

http://www.latinopost.com/articles/4005/20140212/lakers-los-angeles-lakers-lakers-news-and-rumors-pau-gasol-pau-gasol-trade-rumors-kobe-bryant-lakers-roster-la-lakers-nba-trade-rumors-nba-nba-trade-rumors-2014.htm
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject:

What are the Lakers? A retirement club?
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Money Bags Bryant should have thought about that before he broke the bank. He will get over it just like he did with Fisher.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Lakers can't afford to keep Gasol around for Kobe and mortgage the future any longer. If they have a shot to pick up an asset for the future they need to take it. I know Kobe is looking to have guys he is comfortable with and wants the Lakers to go all in for his last two years ala Nash signings/trades, but the Lakers have to look down the road.
saacman5033
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Kobe says he wants Gasol, but the size of the contract he signed says otherwise. Still, a nice thing for Kobe to say
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject:

saacman5033 wrote:
Kobe says he wants Gasol, but the size of the contract he signed says otherwise. Still, a nice thing for Kobe to say

I think that is the reality.
Koalita
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject:

It looks like Kobe trusted the FO, let's see if the FO are doing their job well enough.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
Money Bags Bryant should have thought about that before he broke the bank. He will get over it just like he did with Fisher.

Quote:
"When Bryant's extension was announced, Bryant made it crystal clear he'd been told by Lakers management that not only would the team be able to re-sign Gasol this summer despite Bryant's huge numbers, but also be able to add an impact free agent," Aldridge noted.

I read stories of Kobe visiting college lectures. Economics was it? I think some basic calculus and logic are needed here.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
clutchkobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject:

Koalita wrote:
It looks like Kobe trusted the FO, let's see if the FO are doing their job well enough.

another lie by jim buss. he knows darn well he has to get rid of pau do to the repeaters tax.....kobe will keep him to his truth....this wont end well if he doesn't keep his promise.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: