Lakers in the News 3/8/14 & 3/9/14: Time to cheer up Lakers fans! --- Lakers turn back the Thunder, 114-110
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Lakers in the News 3/8/14 & 3/9/14: Time to cheer up Lakers fans! --- Lakers turn back the Thunder, 114-110

Quote:
Time to cheer up Lakers fans: Journey down the rabbit hole
By Zach Harper | NBA writer
March 7, 2014 11:50 am ET

Let the past carry you until the future gets better, Lakers fans! (USATSI)
While the Rabbit Hole post idea was supposed to be something to get you through your Fridays at work, there may be a greater purpose to them. Or at least, we may have extended use for such an endeavor each week. The things happening at the Staples Center these days are bad when it isn't exclusively involving the Los Angeles Clippers. It's time we reach out to our Los Angeles Lakers friends and give them something to do during these games that doesn't involve inflicting more pain on their psyches.

Let's journey down the rabbit hole this week and see if we can not only kill some time on a Friday but also turn those Lakers frowns upside down:

First Stop: You have to hit rock bottom before you can truly move back up
The inspiration for trying to remind Lakers fans of the good times in Los Angeles was the 48-point drubbing they took at the hands of the Clippers of all teams. It was the biggest loss the team has ever suffered, beating out a 46-point loss to the Portland Trail Blazers in 1995. The worst part about it is that it came against the Clippers. It's not that it finally let people know the Clippers are better than the Lakers; we've known that for two years. But the psychological hold the Lakers have over the city is dwindling fast in terms of basketball respect. Living in the past for accomplishments only gets you by if you have something building toward the future and the Lakers don't tangibly have that right now.

I wrote on CBSSports.com Thursday night about the loss and why it's so embarrassing for the Lakers (UPDATE -- Lakers fell again Friday night at Denver.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24471705/time-to-cheer-up-lakers-fans-journey-down-the-rabbit-hole

Last edited by Cha*n on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:16 pm; edited 4 times in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers setting records for all the wrong reasons after loss to Denver Nuggets

March 8, 2014 - 10:29PM

Los Angeles Lakers centre Pau Gasol drives the lane for a shot as Denver Nuggets forward Kenneth Faried and centre Timofey Mozgov move in. Photo: AP
The spectre of ugly history flew over the Los Angeles Lakers again, opened its mouth and dropped more basketball sludge on this wreck of a season.

The Lakers followed up their worst loss in team history by getting swept by the Denver Nuggets for the first time in a season series, making it official with a 134-126 loss Friday at Pepsi Center.

The Nuggets joined the NBA in the 1976-77 season. The Lakers probably want to skip the rest of the 2013-14 season.

That's two consecutive nights of history-making, in case anybody forgot the 142-94 embarrassment Thursday against the Clippers, the largest loss in Lakers history.
Adding insult to insults, the Lakers (21-42) secured a losing record for only the second time since 1995. Not that it was ever in doubt.

Throw in their 132-point gift to New Orleans on Tuesday, and the Lakers have allowed three consecutive games of 120-plus points for the first time since 1984.

Jordan Farmar was angry enough to spike the ball hard on the court after another easy Nuggets basket.

"It's just ridiculous," Farmar said later. "Miscommunication, it just can't happen. We just have to find a way to get stops. Foul people if we have to. Something.

"Guys are just coming down and getting layups and dunks at will. Something's got to change. I'm tired of losing. I hate being on losing teams and losing atmospheres. It gets contagious and it gets to be OK. And that's not OK with me."

Kenneth Faried scored a career-high 32 points and combined with fellow forward Wilson Chandler to make 22 of 31 shots.

Ty Lawson made 12 of 22 shots. He's a point guard. He had 30 points and 17 assists for Denver, which has won six in a row against the Lakers, its longest run ever against them.

"I don't know if the air's gone out or we're tired or what the problem is," Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni said. "Robert Sacre came in and did a great job defensively. He comes in and it's like, wow. We need two or three or four guys like that to make us solid."

It wasn't a loud locker room after the game.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/los-angeles-lakers-setting-records-for-all-the-wrong-reasons-after-loss-to-denver-nuggets-20140308-34eq2.html#ixzz2vP1EHtr3
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Nuggets take down Lakers
Sports Network
11:33 a.m. CST, March 8, 2014

Denver, CO Sports.com — Ty Lawson took advantage of a sluggish Los Angeles defense, tallying 30 points and 17 assists as the Denver Nuggets topped the Lakers 134-126 in a shootout at Pepsi Center.

Kenneth Faried had a game and season-high 32 points with 13 rebounds for Denver, winners of two straight on the heels of six straight losses. Wilson Chandler added 19 points in the victory.

"Great individual efforts (by) Ty and Kenneth. Great balance in our starting lineup," Denver head coach Brian Shaw said.

Lawson became the first Denver player to post at least 30 points and 15 assists in a game since Allen Iverson had 44 points and 15 dimes on March 17, 2007.

The Nuggets are set to embark on a five-game road trip starting in New Orleans on Sunday.

Pau Gasol scored 27 for the Lakers, who have given up at least 100 points in eight straight tilts. In three consecutive losses, opposing teams are averaging 136.

"We are trying everything we can do," Lakers head coach Mike D'Antoni said. "I don't know if the air has gone out or we are tired or what the problem is."

Ryan Kelly and Jordan Farmar each had 24 points in reserve roles, while Kendall Marshall dished out 14 assists. The setback guaranteed LA's first losing season since 2004-05.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-tsn-acn-recap-lal-den-20140308,0,3442391.story
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject:

That's all for now folks.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers in the News 3/8/14: Time to cheer up Lakers fans!

Cha*n wrote:
Quote:
Time to cheer up Lakers fans: Journey down the rabbit hole
By Zach Harper | NBA writer
March 7, 2014 11:50 am ET

Let the past carry you until the future gets better, Lakers fans! (USATSI)
While the Rabbit Hole post idea was supposed to be something to get you through your Fridays at work, there may be a greater purpose to them. Or at least, we may have extended use for such an endeavor each week. The things happening at the Staples Center these days are bad when it isn't exclusively involving the Los Angeles Clippers. It's time we reach out to our Los Angeles Lakers friends and give them something to do during these games that doesn't involve inflicting more pain on their psyches.

Let's journey down the rabbit hole this week and see if we can not only kill some time on a Friday but also turn those Lakers frowns upside down:

First Stop: You have to hit rock bottom before you can truly move back up
The inspiration for trying to remind Lakers fans of the good times in Los Angeles was the 48-point drubbing they took at the hands of the Clippers of all teams. It was the biggest loss the team has ever suffered, beating out a 46-point loss to the Portland Trail Blazers in 1995. The worst part about it is that it came against the Clippers. It's not that it finally let people know the Clippers are better than the Lakers; we've known that for two years. But the psychological hold the Lakers have over the city is dwindling fast in terms of basketball respect. Living in the past for accomplishments only gets you by if you have something building toward the future and the Lakers don't tangibly have that right now.

I wrote on CBSSports.com Thursday night about the loss and why it's so embarrassing for the Lakers (UPDATE -- Lakers fell again Friday night at Denver.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24471705/time-to-cheer-up-lakers-fans-journey-down-the-rabbit-hole

LOL
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Former Lakers coach Phil Jackson has a job offer ... from Knicks
The former Lakers coach (and Knicks player) reportedly will make a decision next week.

Phil Jackson, who helped the Lakers win five NBA championships as coach, is likely to return to basketball in a front-office role. (Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times)
Also

Lakers have firsts of the wrong type piling up

Lakers swept in season series by Nuggets with 134-126 loss

Lakers lose not just a game but their dignity in rout by Clippers

Two Lakers are missing at point

Clippers turn rout of Lakers into a romper room

Letters: As bad as it gets for Lakers (they hope)

By Mike Bresnahan
March 7, 2014, 10:17 p.m.

DENVER — Phil Jackson, viewed by some Lakers fans as a future savior of the franchise, has been offered a front-office job by the New York Knicks.

Jackson, 68, recently met with Knicks owner James Dolan and planned to make a decision next week, the New York Daily News said, citing an anonymous NBA source.

The description of the offer was reportedly "more than just a consulting job."

Jackson repeatedly has said he would never coach again, but plenty of Lakers fans want him to return as a consultant to the franchise where he won five championship as a coach before retiring in 2011.

Jackson's name would help attract big-name free agents, an apparent problem spot for a franchise that lost Dwight Howard to Houston last summer.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20140308,0,5620090.story#ixzz2vPiZWpzf
theunknownsoldier
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Majority of Laker fans are cheerful after each loss, because we are moving up in the lottery. Why would we not be?
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject:

as a 15+ year fan this is flat out ridiculous, i mean being a lottery team is the last thing i would see and the last thing i'd be excited for

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
lakerlynx
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:
as a 15+ year fan this is flat out ridiculous, i mean being a lottery team is the last thing i would see and the last thing i'd be excited for
. Unfortunately, as a Lakers fan, it is the only thing to be excited for.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject:

The winter of this season is almost over.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:

Being a 25+ year fan, this is my 3rd lottery. Eddie Jones 10th in 94, and Bynum 10th in 05. Now it's 2014, seems approx. every 10 years. We're right on schedule. It would be amazing if we somehow get the 10th pick again.
sgtpepper1972
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
DrWolf wrote:

Being a 25+ year fan, this is my 3rd lottery. Eddie Jones 10th in 94, and Bynum 10th in 05. Now it's 2014, seems approx. every 10 years. We're right on schedule. It would be amazing if we somehow get the 10th pick again.

Better yet drop the zero from our would be position in the draft.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers' schedule is about to get harder
L.A. plays its next two games against Oklahoma City before playing two in a row against San Antonio. The Thunder and Spurs have combined for 91 wins and 32 losses.

By Mike Bresnahan
March 8, 2014, 4:35 p.m.

And now for the truly hard part of the Lakers schedule.

They might be tired of breaking badly almost every night. They might feel the weight of a rudderless season.

As if Oklahoma City cares. As if San Antonio will be compassionate.

The Lakers play the Thunder two games in a row and then the Spurs the next two after that, and if that doesn't sound like feeding mice to snakes, then what really does?

The Lakers are coming off their worst three-game defensive effort ever, surrendering an average of 136 points against New Orleans, the Clippers and Denver. One of those teams will actually make the playoffs.

Through Friday, Oklahoma City and San Antonio have combined for 91 victories this season. Only 32 losses. Two NBA Finals appearances the last two years. You get the picture.

At this rate, the Lakers (21-42) might challenge the team record for points allowed in a season — 111.8 per game, set in 1983-84.

That team won the Western Conference. This team will win the lottery only if it's lucky.

The Lakers currently own the NBA's fourth-worst record, good for an 11.9% chance at the No. 1 pick in the May 20 lottery drawing. If they drop to the third-worst record, the odds increase to 15.6%.

Not to fear, Lakers fans. The pingpong ball percentages will only improve if the Lakers keep blowing past their average of allowing 107.9 points.

It's probably a good time to note that Thunder forward Kevin Durant leads the league with 31.8 points a game.

"Teams know that we're not really good defensively and they come into the game saying, 'This is going to be a good day for us on the offensive end,' and they get that confidence going into the game," Pau Gasol said.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-fyi-20140309,0,5685627.story#ixzz2vRj7bmYy
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject:

I think it's a good time to remember we have a storied franchise and will again.
lakermann44
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject:

what players will be back in 2014
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject:

sgtpepper1972 wrote:
Runway8 wrote:
DrWolf wrote:

Better yet drop the zero from our would be position in the draft.

Exactly.

The only thing amazing about getting the 10th pick this year would be the reaction here on this site. Other than that, Not a damn thing is amazing about getting the 10th pick this summer.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
theunknownsoldier
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:

15 years? I guess since you've only seen 5 titles. I've seen 10 being a fan since 1979.
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers news: Mike D’Antoni’s job safe despite struggles
By Bob Garcia IV

After the Los Angeles Lakers suffered their worst loss in franchise history in Thursday’s blowout 142-94 to the Los Angeles Clippers the organization’s management met with head coach Mike D’Antoni, according to ESPN.com.

The meeting was held by general manager Mitch Kupchak and vice president of player personnel Jim Buss to discuss if anything could be done to help the team bounce back after the loss rather make a coaching change. D’Antoni on Friday confirmed the meeting and described it as “normal.”

“We just went over stuff and said, ‘Well, we didn’t play very well,’” D’Antoni said.

D’Antoni did not provide further details about what was exactly was discussed between in the meeting.

“I don’t remember, to be honest with you,” he said. “It wasn’t anything out of the ordinary other than just talking about different performances, and that’s about it.”

D’Antoni also stated that he did talk to the team after the embarrassing loss on Thursday to the Clippers.

“We talked and tried to get guys to understand where we are and what we have to do, and they’ll respond,” D’Antoni said. “Like I said, they’re good guys. It’s not like you go out and you [overreact]. I think everybody lays an egg, and we laid an egg. We just got to push it aside and go forward.”

This season for Los Angeles has been nothing short of difficult as they currently lie in last place in the Western Conference at a record of 21-42. Entering this year, the team had aspirations for the playoffs but those hopes were quickly dashed as team suffered an array of injuries that included Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant

http://www.sportsoutwest.com/2014/03/09/lakers-news-mike-dantoni-job-safe/
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
Quote:
Lakers news: Mike D’Antoni’s job safe despite struggles
By Bob Garcia IV

After the Los Angeles Lakers suffered their worst loss in franchise history in Thursday’s blowout 142-94 to the Los Angeles Clippers the organization’s management met with head coach Mike D’Antoni, according to ESPN.com.

The meeting was held by general manager Mitch Kupchak and vice president of player personnel Jim Buss to discuss if anything could be done to help the team bounce back after the loss rather make a coaching change. D’Antoni on Friday confirmed the meeting and described it as “normal.”

“We just went over stuff and said, ‘Well, we didn’t play very well,’” D’Antoni said.

D’Antoni did not provide further details about what was exactly was discussed between in the meeting.

“I don’t remember, to be honest with you,” he said. “It wasn’t anything out of the ordinary other than just talking about different performances, and that’s about it.”

D’Antoni also stated that he did talk to the team after the embarrassing loss on Thursday to the Clippers.

“We talked and tried to get guys to understand where we are and what we have to do, and they’ll respond,” D’Antoni said. “Like I said, they’re good guys. It’s not like you go out and you [overreact]. I think everybody lays an egg, and we laid an egg. We just got to push it aside and go forward.”

This season for Los Angeles has been nothing short of difficult as they currently lie in last place in the Western Conference at a record of 21-42. Entering this year, the team had aspirations for the playoffs but those hopes were quickly dashed as team suffered an array of injuries that included Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant

http://www.sportsoutwest.com/2014/03/09/lakers-news-mike-dantoni-job-safe/

I swear if this clown M'A costs us Kevin Love too after Dwight Howard I'll never forgive Jim Buss.

Edit-This in the event that Phil takes the Knicks job. There's no way we can compete with NY recruiting wise if 'Antoni is our Head Coach and Phil Jackson is running the Knicks... BOTTOMLINE!

Last edited by Peoples Hernandez on Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject:

What't to make the title "Time to cheer up Lakers fans", ah, maybe not, "D’Antoni’s job safe."

Not all his fault of course but I don't like his coaching style/theory
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject:

Cha*n wrote:
What't to make the title "Time to cheer up Lakers fans", ah, maybe not, "D’Antoni’s job safe."

Exactly bro...

Phil's decision is absolutely crucial to our future moving forward. Truth be told.

LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Peoples Hernandez wrote:
Cha*n wrote:

Exactly bro...

Phil's decision is absolutely crucial to our future moving forward. Truth be told.

It makes season that his job is safe this season. I mean what does firing him now do? The season is lost anyways. Might as well use him to get a high draft pick. However, he better be gone after this season!!!!
lakermann44
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject:

who is the hot coaching names in the Pros or College.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Is it safe for now until the end of the season...or is it, safe safe?
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Lakers turn back the Thunder, 114-110

By Eric Pincus
March 9, 2014, 3:30 p.m.

The Lakers upset the Oklahoma City Thunder, 114-110, on Sunday afternoon at Staples Center, playing against one of the top teams in the Western Conference in their fifth game in seven days.

Jodie Meeks finished with a career-high 42 points, including 20 in the third quarter to outscore the Thunder's 19. Meeks shot 11 of 18 from the field, 6 of 11 from three-point range and 14 of 14 from the line.

The Lakers, who gave up an astounding 408 points over their last three games, fell behind early by as many as 18 before Meeks helped his team forge a 36-point turnaround.

Naturally, the Thunder rallied late behind a pair of three-pointers from former Lakers guard Derek Fisher, five quick points from Reggie Jackson and a driving dunk by Russell Westbrook.

Kent Bazemore served as closer for the Lakers, scoring seven points in the final two minutes. Westbrook hit a three-pointer with 1.3 seconds left to pull the Thunder to within two, but Pau Gasol sealed the victory with two free throws with 0.7 seconds on the clock.

The Lakers improve to 22-42 on the season, getting an unexpected win over the 46-17 Thunder.

Kevin Durant had a triple-double for Oklahoma City, with 27 points, 12 assists and 10 rebounds. Serge Ibaka contributed 21 points and 15 rebounds. Westbrook had 20 points, eight assists and seven rebounds.

The Thunder, who shot 42% from the field, havd a 59-36 advantage on the boards. Jackson added 14 points while Fisher finished with eight.

Gasol finished with a double-double of 20 points and 11 rebounds for the Lakers, shot 46.9% from the field and 41.9% from three-point range.

Ryan Kelly started at power forward, giving the Lakers 12 points, eight assists, five rebounds and two blocked shots.

Wesley Johnson, who slid from the four to small forward to match up with Durant, scored 11 and had five assists. Bazemore came off the bench to score 11, while Jordan Farmar chipped in 12.

Starter Kendall Marshall didn't score but dished 10 assists in 27 minutes.

The Lakers are off until Thursday, when they'll visit the Thunder in Oklahoma City.

The Thunder will host the Houston Rockets (43-19) on Tuesday.

Lakers 87, Thunder 75 (end of third quarter)

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-vs-oklahoma-city-thunder-game-updates20140309,0,2083945.story#ixzz2vWLkyyXU
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: