OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2758, 2759, 2760, 2761  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Japago
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Japago wrote:
I think both Reaves and D'Lo are both going to have defensive issues due to lack of lateral quickness. Reaves seems to have a little more of it and has good reflexes that make up for some of it. Both have some amount of intelligence on that end, which also helps.

But, their lack of athleticism is ultimately going to hold them back.

You came into the D'lo thready to again talk down on AR. Your agenda is becoming quite clear.

The posters above me were comparing the defenses of AR and D'Lo.

Are you not looking at the entire conversations that are happening? I don't always like replying to specific posts, but I still want to say my piece about the subject at large. When I do that, I don't always quote.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Hanging from Rafters wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Are you kidding?

Dangelo is a terrible defender. Always has been. Terrible athlete. He had PRP injections in his knees as a 19 year old. He was literally HUNTED in a playoff series and had to be benched. Who are you trying to fool here?

The stats compared to AR, I’m trying to fool the stats, they can be misleading.

I'm not sure what to make of Drtg. It has actually been pretty dubious in the past, at one point suggesting our defense was better with AD off the floor. According to this:

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/advanced?CF=MIN*GE*15&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&TeamID=1610612747&dir=-1&sort=DEF_RATING

DLO had more defensive impact than AD and Beasley more than TBJ and Schroeder while being comparable to KCP for instance.

There are other metrics like RAPTOR that seem to reflect the consensus better IMO.

According to defensive RAPTOR Austin Reaves is a beast defensively, better than:

Marcus Smart
KCP
Bruce Brown
Myles Turner
Jimmy Butler
Patrick Beverly
Jarred Vanderbuilt
Dennis Schroeder

and many more!!!

The point is as said…stats can be misleading…any of them.

You got me there. Only time will tell. Hopefully DLO isn't played off the floor again when it matters. Because the offense is so pleasing with him and Reaves on the floor.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:42 am    Post subject:

I hope it works out with DLO, he is a nice complement to our offense.
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
I hope it works out with DLO, he is a nice complement to our offense.

Same, I really hope he's here past this season too.

Him and Reaves skillsets fit so perfect in the backcourt, & alongside AD & LeBron.

Aside from the WCF he was amazing for us last season both on the court and in the locker room.
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Since D’Angelo Russell’s breakout season in 2019, he’s had a cumulative avg of 19.7 ppg & 6.5 apg — that’s 5 seasons worth of work where he’s basically been a 20/7 a night guy. The other players to avg that during the same time span:

https://twitter.com/nowxuno/status/1699495401974628595

Quote:
Now also add in that in that same time span DLo’s been at 37% from 3P & this is the list of players who have averaged those numbers the past 5 seasons:

https://twitter.com/nowxuno/status/1699495407099994254

Being bounced around so much so early in his career I think have made some people see him as an after thought & set him off to the side like "D'angelo Russell? cool, whatever" lol.. but where ever he's been he's been balling. This is pretty impressive IMO.
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject:

DA1 wrote:
Quote:
Since D’Angelo Russell’s breakout season in 2019, he’s had a cumulative avg of 19.7 ppg & 6.5 apg — that’s 5 seasons worth of work where he’s basically been a 20/7 a night guy. The other players to avg that during the same time span:

Quote:
Now also add in that in that same time span DLo’s been at 37% from 3P & this is the list of players who have averaged those numbers the past 5 seasons:

Being bounced around so much so early in his career I think have made some people see him as an after thought & set him off to the side like "D'angelo Russell? cool, whatever" lol.. but where ever he's been he's been balling. This is pretty impressive IMO.

Also, the fact we got this guy who is among those name on that list for the contract we got him on is actually amazing.

Might be the best value contract in the league now for the talent/production he gives.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:23 pm    Post subject:

I don't think he's the best contract on the Lakers even

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
I don't think he's the best contract on the Lakers even

Well that's just a testament to the job Rob's done putting this current roster together
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject:

DA1 wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe but windhorst said he’s not universally liked around the league. Pgs with size are the premium and no one has wanted him. He went from 30m per to 18m per with zero market. Like the nfl numbers don’t tell the whole story. He lost his starting job in the wcf and imho will lose it by Xmas game to GV. But for 18m he’s an afterthought at an affordable price.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject:

There are reasons that Gabe Vincent has been a backup, he isn’t starting guard material.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject:

If he does lose his starting job during the regular season I think a lot of it will be related to fit and not necessarily anything he's doing wrong. If the plan is to play more Rui instead of Vando at wing, they may need better POA defense and slot Gabe in DLO's place. Don't know if DLO pouts knowing he's got free agency potentially looming but at least he's got a PO to protect him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:09 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
If he does lose his starting job during the regular season I think a lot of it will be related to fit and not necessarily anything he's doing wrong. If the plan is to play more Rui instead of Vando at wing, they may need better POA defense and slot Gabe in DLO's place. Don't know if DLO pouts knowing he's got free agency potentially looming but at least he's got a PO to protect him.

I think DLO will start, but Gabe has a strong chance to finish out games over him. I think that will be the trade off.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
There are reasons that Gabe Vincent has been a backup, he isn’t starting guard material.

He signed for the MLE based on his performance as a starter.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

He signed for the MLE based on his performance as a starter.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

You realize he played 30mpg on a NBA Finals team right?

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject:

All Gabe has to do is avoid 4 for 26 games in closeout matches and we've upgraded.
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

he was just about as bad as D-Lo vs the Nuggets those last 3 finals games for what its worth
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
gng930 wrote:

I think DLO will start, but Gabe has a strong chance to finish out games over him. I think that will be the trade off.

Why do you say that?

D-Lo has literally been a top 3 closer in the NBA since 2019.

Why would you bench one of the clutchest players in the league?

Doesn't seem ideal to me to have this weapon on the bench in the waning moments of a close game...

Quote:
Here's the complete list (min 100 FGA) sorted by FG% when isolating the last 4 minutes of 4Q and OT (the real crunch time performers)

https://twitter.com/bballbreakdown/status/1676642760638472210

Quote:
For even more context, here's the same list below sorted by eFG%
I would not have had DLo on my Bingo card, and Russ is definitely higher than I ever would've thought 👏
thx to
@Stathead
for stats and reminding me to use eFG%

https://twitter.com/bballbreakdown/status/1676649310015066112
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject:

DA1 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

he was just about as bad as D-Lo vs the Nuggets those last 3 finals games for what its worth

Yeah I was just about to say when he said 30mpg on a finals team.

Yeah what were those numbers Gabe put up in the Finals????

The "pick and choose" game with Gabe where they'll ignore his horrid series for his two good ones, while at the same time ignoring DLO playing well, and focus only on the Nuggets series is quite interesting.
DA1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
DA1 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Yeah I was just about to say when he said 30mpg on a finals team.

Yeah what were those numbers Gabe put up in the Finals????

The "pick and choose" game with Gabe where they'll ignore his horrid series for his two good ones, while at the same time ignoring DLO playing well, and focus only on the Nuggets series is quite interesting.

I've come to an acceptance (dating back to his 1st stint with us lol) that parts of the fan base will just always be sour on him no matter what.

It is what it is lmao
Japago
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject:

DA1 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Gabe's 2 big games against Denver are 2 more big games against Denver than D'Lo had. Lakers have 2 wins against Denver if they got those performances out of the PG position in that series.

If you want to break it down like that, D'Lo was bad in certain games against Memphis and Golden State. He was bad in game 2, game 5, and arguably game 3 against Memphis. He was bad in game 2 and game 4 against GSW.

D'Lo haters ignore the good? D'Lo fans like to ignore the bad.

The guy has been very inconsistent his career. The guy drops off like no other, becoming a non-factor when he does. It happened again in the series against Denver(also happened in the play-in game against Minnesota), and it's always going to happen with him at some point during the season.

It's who he is. That's why his career numbers are as mediocre as they are. Low 40's FG, mid 30's 3pt. His last season was an outlier compared to the rest of his career. The season before, he put up numbers among his career worst.

He's been in the league long enough to recognize a pattern with him. There's a reason why he's a journeyman.

Gabe isn't a definitive upgrade over D'Lo. There will be instances where he is the better option though. Gabe is a better defender. And when D'Lo is on one of those bad streaks, Gabe should definitely get more minutes than D'Lo because D'Lo offers very little out there when he's cold.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

VLF works backwards from, Jeanie = bad. He wasn't like this when Jim was running things.

In terms of Vincent being a starter or not. He's borderline. It's dependent on the skillset of the other 4 players in the starting lineup. He fits better in lineups where you don't want/need a high usage playmaking PG. That's why it's a no-brainer that he'll close out alot of games. End of games is when LBJ does his point forward thing.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject:

DA1 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Why do you say that?

D-Lo has literally been a top 3 closer in the NBA since 2019.

Why would you bench one of the clutchest players in the league?

Doesn't seem ideal to me to have this weapon on the bench in the waning moments of a close game...

Quote:
Here's the complete list (min 100 FGA) sorted by FG% when isolating the last 4 minutes of 4Q and OT (the real crunch time performers)

https://twitter.com/bballbreakdown/status/1676642760638472210

Quote:
For even more context, here's the same list below sorted by eFG%
I would not have had DLo on my Bingo card, and Russ is definitely higher than I ever would've thought 👏
thx to
@Stathead
for stats and reminding me to use eFG%

https://twitter.com/bballbreakdown/status/1676649310015066112

Don't forget that Darvin often closed with Austin, DLO, and Dennis last year. So on the flip side, even if DLO is moved to the bench, the trade off might be that he still gets to close often.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject:

D'Lo is the biggest x-factor to me that determines our ceiling. I think he can take another jump into the Jamal Murray category but its more mental than physical with him at this point. Need 2 things from him. 1. Just need further growth from him in terms of playoff execution with added experience. 2. I actually want the ball more in D'Lo's hands than last year. Let him sink or swim because unless he makes that jump I am hoping for, we aren't beating the Nuggets again anyways. We were decisively beaten last year despite the small margins but that margin was noticeable.

I look at Denver vs LA right now as kinda like the Federer vs Djokovic matchup in tennis towards last half decade of their rivalry. The margins are slim but in big key moments Djokovic almost always won the key points because 1. He is slightly better and 2. He knows and Federer knows that Djokovic is slightly better and so in key moments Federer would always make that first mistake because Djokovic knows how to play Federer and he has that internal belief that by playing his game, he will win. Its why Djokovic almost always never seems to miss in the biggest points vs Fed ever since Wimbledon 2015. That is why Bruce Brown said what he said which is that the Nuggets never felt they would lose to LA and the Timberwolves were actually their toughest playoff opponents. Like Djoker after Wimbledon 2015, the Nuggets knew they were better and they had the confidence of knowing they will beat us if they play their game.

D'Lo to me can be that antidote if he makes that jump. He can be for Federer what that aggressive improved backhand did in his rivalry with Nadal. That backhand, which was actually supposed to turn around his matchup for Djokovic, did the trick when facing Nadal outside of clay. Its why since the Australian Open in 2017 in their epic 5 setter, Federer never again lost to Nadal outside of clay. And its rightfully deserved - I never for a moment thought Nadal was better or outplayed Federer in any match outside of clay once Fed figured out the backhand.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
D'Lo is the biggest x-factor to me that determines our ceiling. I think he can take another jump into the Jamal Murray category but its more mental than physical with him at this point. Need 2 things from him. 1. Just need further growth from him in terms of playoff execution with added experience. 2. I actually want the ball more in D'Lo's hands than last year. Let him sink or swim because unless he makes that jump I am hoping for, we aren't beating the Nuggets again anyways.

I pretty much 100% disagree with this excerpt from your post.
I think physical limitations put a hard ceiling on DLO’s upside.
I think he’s a known quantity at this point.
I think Reaves needs the ball in his hands more and will determine if we make a jump more so than DLO.
And I think DLO is a good but non-elite shooter despite having a play style that relies heavily on pull-up jumpers.

I am rooting for him though. And I will continue to do so as long as he’s wearing P&G.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2758, 2759, 2760, 2761  Next
Page 2759 of 2761
Jump to: