News 'n Views - Apr 2016: Luke Walton gives Lakers fans someone to believe in
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject:

Byron Scott tells Jordan Clarkson to improve defense or lose minutes
by Mark Medina - dailynews.com

The exit meeting could have veered in the many directions in which Jordan Clarkson has progressed.

He maintained steady growth in his scoring. He won nearly every conditioning drill from training camp to the last practice. He healed quickly enough through a handful of injuries to miss only three games all season.

Most of the Clarkson’s exit meeting with Lakers coach Byron Scott and general manager Mitch Kupchak centered on something else, though.

“I was horrible on the defensive end this year,” Clarkson said. “It’s somewhere I have to make strides.”

The consequences on any lack of substantial progress appears to go beyond the Lakers struggling to exceed this season’s mark in which they ranked 26th out of 30 NBA teams in points allowed (106.9).

“If we get the right players in here and if he doesn’t do it, he won’t play much,” Scott said of Clarkson. “It’s that simple.”

If only it were simple for Clarkson to fix that area.

According to NBA.com, players went 62.5 percent from the field on shots Clarkson defended. Clarkson also finished with a defensive rating of 111.5, meaning opponents scored that many points per 100 possessions anytime Clarkson was on the floor.

“He is too athletic and too quick to be that bad defensively,” Scott said. “Numbers from our analytical department don’t lie.”

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject:

Tom Thibodeau was interested in coaching the Lakers, thought he could recruit free agents
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

Looks like an opportunity might have gotten away

While the Los Angeles Lakers deliberate over whether or not to fire head coach Byron Scott following the two worst seasons in the franchise's history, they may have missed out on (arguably) the best available candidate.

Tom Thibodeau agreed to become the next head coach and president of basketball operations on Wednesday, and while it was initially reported that he had crossed the Lakers off of his list of potential employers because of the lack of an available front office position, Adrian Wojnarowski of the Vertical reports that "Thibodeau always had his eyes on the [the Lakers head coaching job], but the Lakers hesitated and missed the chance to recruit him."

Whether or not Thibodeau would have taken the Lakers job without gaining some say over front office moves will always remain an intriguing hypothetical, but that is another area where he reportedly believes he could have helped.

It's no secret that the Lakers have had issues recruiting free agents the last few seasons, and Wojnarowski says Thibodeau thought he could help them bring in their next superstar:

"Tom Thibodeau always believed he could lure free agents to the Los Angeles Lakers, that the proper structure and vision still makes that franchise the ultimate superstar destination... Thibodeau uses his USA Basketball coaching job to build relationships with the best players in the world, potential free agents including Kevin Durant and James Harden, Russell Westbrook and, yes, LeBron James, too."

There is obviously a lot to unpack here. For one, it's surprising based on previous reports that Thibodeau really found the Lakers job so intriguing. Despite fans clamoring for him, he had not been linked to the team by anything more than theoretical coaching wishlists prior to today.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject:

Los Angeles D-Fenders defeat Austin Spurs 117-104 to head to D-League Finals
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

Los Angeles received a Herculean effort from their starters, who scored 112 of their 117 points

The Los Angeles Lakers may have missed the playoffs entirely after posting their worst season in franchise history, but there is still one purple and gold team from Los Angeles having postseason success. The Los Angeles D-Fenders beat the Austin Spurs 117-104 on Wednesday night to win the Western Conference finals and earn their second ever appearance in the D-League Finals.

NBA veteran Ryan Gomes led the way for the D-Fenders with 35 points and 12 rebounds in the decisive game, while his frontcourt-mate, stretch-five Justin Harper, scored 25 points and pulled down eight boards. Vander Blue, former Laker and the D-League's regular season leading scorer, chipped in 21 points of his own. All-time D-League leading three-point shooter Andre Ingram's 5-6 shooting helped space the floor, and his activity defensively (two steals and several more deflections) helped the D-Fenders hold the Spurs to just 20 points each in the second and third quarters.

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject:

Every shot Kobe Bryant ever took. All 30,699 of them
by JOE FOX, RYAN MENEZES and ARMAND EMAMDJOMEH - latimes.com

Kobe Bryant's 30,699th and final field goal came from 19 feet with 31 seconds left against the Utah Jazz. During his 20 years with the Lakers, he fired up more than 30,000 shots, including the regular season and playoffs.

Take a tour of key shots over his 20-year career, or explore the makes and misses over his long career on your own.

Interactive Graphic
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

The exit meeting could have veered in the many directions in which Jordan Clarkson has progressed.

He maintained steady growth in his scoring. He won nearly every conditioning drill from training camp to the last practice. He healed quickly enough through a handful of injuries to miss only three games all season.

Most of the Clarkson’s exit meeting with Lakers coach Byron Scott and general manager Mitch Kupchak centered on something else, though.

“I was horrible on the defensive end this year,” Clarkson said. “It’s somewhere I have to make strides.”

The consequences on any lack of substantial progress appears to go beyond the Lakers struggling to exceed this season’s mark in which they ranked 26th out of 30 NBA teams in points allowed (106.9).

“If we get the right players in here and if he doesn’t do it, he won’t play much,” Scott said of Clarkson. “It’s that simple.”

According to NBA.com, players went 62.5 percent from the field on shots Clarkson defended. Clarkson also finished with a defensive rating of 111.5, meaning opponents scored that many points per 100 possessions anytime Clarkson was on the floor.

“He is too athletic and too quick to be that bad defensively,” Scott said. “Numbers from our analytical department don’t lie.”

Continued....

Improve your record or lose your job

(bleep)!
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject:

Byron is using analytics?

!...
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

He is too athletic and too quick to be that bad defensively,” Scott said. “Numbers from our analytical department don’t lie.”

Continued....

Scott. Oh boy. Now he's into numbers.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:

Continued....

Not a fan of Scott, but kudos for him to recognizing and addressing this issue. It is on Clarkson to improve. Hopefully Scott puts him in a scheme to help him succeed.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Continued....

Not a fan of Scott, but kudos for him to recognizing and addressing this issue. It is on Clarkson to improve. Hopefully Scott puts him in a scheme to help him succeed.

Kudos? isn't it Scott's job to teach a young player like him how to play defense? He's had him for 2 seasons now.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject:

It takes time to figure these things out.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:30 am    Post subject:

Apparently basketball is so complex it takes longer to learn defense than it did me to learn calculus 1,2 and 3
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Continued....

Improve your record or lose your job

(bleep)!

Thank you. Should've been gone already. No business talking like he's still going to be coaching next year. Ridiculous.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
It takes time to figure these things out.

Yeah, evidently it takes years.

I hope JC calls up Kobe and asks him about "defense". Maybe talk to Kobe and Ron. Leave Byron out of it.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject:

The hubris of this guy is nauseating.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject:

Clarkson does need to work on his defense I just dont think Byron should be firing shots at players after the fact. As pointed out Byron's had JC for 2 seasons already and now he says something? Also, being that JC is a RFA and was the best/2nd best player on the team this year, I'd expect him to sign the first offer sheet that comes his way to get the hell away from Byron. This guy is going to make it harder to retain our own players and impossible to recruit. What a moron. Yeah let's tell the media I'm cutting JC's minutes next season.....terrible timing, terrible tact, just all-around a bad look. Byron is the worst thing that's ever happened to the Lakers.....shame on you Byron.

/end rant
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Continued....

Kudos? isn't it Scott's job to teach a young player like him how to play defense? He's had him for 2 seasons now.

It is, but he can't force Jordan to practice and take it seriously. That is up to Clarkson. Yes, Scott can bench him, but punishment isn't always the best way to motivate.

1. Scott is providing him feedback.
2. JC has got to get to work and improve.
3. Scott has to develop a defensive system that works given the team's personnel.

Scott has done point 1. He has yet to show that he capable of accomplishing point 3. Point 2 is on JC.
"I don’t give a [expletive] what you say. If I go out there and miss game winners, and people say, 'Kobe choked, or Kobe is seven for whatever in pressure situations.' Well, [expletive] you. Because I don’t play for your [expletive] approval."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Continued....

It is, but he can't force Jordan to practice and take it seriously. That is up to Clarkson. Yes, Scott can bench him, but punishment isn't always the best way to motivate.

3. Scott has to develop a defensive system that works given the team's personnel.

Scott has done point 1. He has yet to show that he capable of accomplishing point 3. Point 2 is on JC.

From all indications, JC puts in the work. But if he's practicing and doing it incorrectly, that's why coaches get paid to correct these things. If Byron was doing that and JC didn't respond, yes, you then take measures such as benching him (sure didn't stop him from doing that with Randle/DLO).
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Wow. The nerve of this coach to ask his players to play more defense. What an idiot. Get this guy out of here.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Continued....

From all indications, JC puts in the work. But if he's practicing and doing it incorrectly, that's why coaches get paid to correct these things. If Byron was doing that and JC didn't respond, yes, you then take measures such as benching him (sure didn't stop him from doing that with Randle/DLO).

If he asks players to do things they aren't capable of that is his failure as a coach. He has to understand what his guys can and cant do. Its like putting Bass at center then getting mad at the team for getting dominated in the paint. That is not the players fault, that's his fault. He is just too stubborn and or unaware to realize it.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject:

iceberg01 wrote:
Wow. The nerve of this coach to ask his players to play more defense. What an idiot. Get this guy out of here.

Anyone can ask a player to play defense. Putting them in a position to play the best defense they can is something totally different. Byron has no clue how to accomplish the latter.
Number 7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

He is too athletic and too quick to be that bad defensively,” Scott said. “Numbers from our analytical department don’t lie.”

Continued....

Scott. Oh boy. Now he's into numbers.

He's basically applying for the Rockets job!
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Byron, please don't hesitate to be specific with us about what "analytics" you're using. But since you're developing a fetish for cracking the numbers now, hows about you look up your winning percentage as a coach while you're at it you sucker.
Lakersneuron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Continued....

From everything I have read / seen, JC has been putting in a lot of work on the offensive end. However, I can't speak to his work regime. If he is working on defense, it is translating horribly and that is partly the fault of Byron and the coaching staff, but he isn't absolved either. It is his career.

Here is the thing, the Lakers specifically brought on vets like Metta to help teach the young players. At this point, people are blaming Byron for the things he does right. He did nothing wrong by pointing out that Clarkson needs to work on his defense.

For the record, I wanted Byron gone the second they clinched the 2nd worst record. Check my posts.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Lakersneuron wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Continued....

From everything I have read / seen, JC has been putting in a lot of work on the offensive end. However, I can't speak to his work regime. If he is working on defense, it is translating horribly and that is partly the fault of Byron and the coaching staff, but he isn't absolved either. It is his career.

Here is the thing, the Lakers specifically brought on vets like Metta to help teach the young players. At this point, people are blaming Byron for the things he does right. He did nothing wrong by pointing out that Clarkson needs to work on his defense.

For the record, I wanted Byron gone the second they clinched the 2nd worst record. Check my posts.

You are right, but...

You have to walk the walk to talk the talk.

Byron has lost all credibility when it comes to pointing out the shortcomings of Lakers players.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Lakersneuron wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Continued....
He can teach but Byron cannot be on the court

How does one teach a player to play defense with 150% focused effort and to run at 150% back on defense to stop transition fast breaks.

If Thibbs was the coach, his demands would be exactly the same

sonic that people at LG would be complaining about the boring offense that Thibbs would put into place
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10
Jump to: