LAKERS -at- MAVS - 2/7 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: LAKERS -at- MAVS - 2/7 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings

Tailspin on the Road... Going into the game you could see the writing on the wall. The Mavs were holding teams below 100 points and we were giving up more than 100 in many of the past games. Still banged up with Mihm out and Lamar playing wounded, the Lakers started of slow, trailed by 20 and then climbed back in to lead briefly before fading again to lose 102-87.

Some pretty crazy officiating on the night, dishing out bogus techs and flagrants to the Lakers as well as ignoring a lot of the clutching and grabbing on Kobe by the Mavs. For his part, Kobe played a poor game, missing from the perimeter and still firing away. Brian Cook made our offensive game respectable by going for a career high 28. And, Lamar gutted out the injury and played a strong game. Good to see him out there.

Phil struggled with trying to find the right mix of players out of the gates. The guys tonight with the bad +/- rating were Sasha (-25), Kwame (-19) and Luke (-17). The Mavs went on a 19-2 run that stretched the end of the third and start of the fourth that lost all the Lakers momentum. With Kobe having an off-game, we couldn't pull out of the tail spin.

Kobe -- -- It's getting tiring watching guys pass up mid range jumpers to kick it out to Kobe with the clock running down. Both Smush and Sasha did that tonight and Kobe had to force up a long shot. Aside from those plays, Kobe missed a few too many long shots tonight. His perimeter shot was off, but he still settled (going 3-11 from three). Consequently, he seemed to play a real choppy sort of game. He finished with 24 points on 5-22 shooting (11-13 from the line), 4 boards, 4 assists, 4 turnovers and 3 steals. He kicked it out to Smush for an open three. He squared up and drained a three for the Lakers second basket in 6 minutes. Nice swat and recovery on the defensive end, but it looked like he didn't get credit for it. He missed a 30-footer when Sasha passed up a midrange jumper. He attacked across the lane for an And-1 bank in transition, he made the FT. He attacked across the lane and drew FTs, made one. He had 7 of the Lakers 10 points in the first quarter, and assisted on the other make. He faked the jumper and skip passed to the hot hand in Cook for an open jumper. He attacked the lane, got fouled a few times and finally got FTs as they called the last foul, he had some words for the officials and got a tech, and he had a few more words. He drew the double and hit Cook who made a dive cut down the lane for FTs. He stole the ball, pushed it up and drew FTs. He had a four-point trip, hitting a tech for illegal D, then hitting a three. He attacked around the double team into the lane and scored the And-1, missing the FT. He attacked to the rim, got hit once and had his jersey grabbed twice with no call and then he got blocked. He got knocked to the floor next time down and got FTs. He faced up early in the offense and hit a 28-foot three. He then clanked two threes on his next two shots. He attacked and drew FTs, made both. He attacked a couple more times and missed in the middle of the lane. He missed another three.

Odom -- -- Lamar played 39:16, and that may be his biggest stat. Good to see him on the floor. He had 14 points, 7 assists and 6 boards (5 offensive). Considering he couldn't lift his arm a few days back, glad to see some kind of production. He actually had a good mix of attacking the lane and posting up throughout the game. He started off a little slow. He missed a pull-up jumper. He got swatted twice under the hoop by Diop. He bricked a three early in the offense. Then, he started to be a little more effective as he and Cook put together a good second quarter. He got penetration and kicked to Cook for a jumper. He set up Cook for another jumper on penetration. He attacked to his left and banked in a runner. He faced up on the baseline against Dirk, blew past him and scored a reverse layup. He posted up Howard on the right block and banked over him with his left. He posted up and drew an illegal D call. Good look to Cook under the hoop sealing his man for a layup. He took a shot to his side going for a loose ball, he was in pain but made both FTs. He iso'd on the right side, drew FTs and made both. He posted up Harris, backed him down, Harris flopped and then tripped Lamar as he shot, Lamar bricked, then got a tech shortly later. He attacked the baseline and scored a reverse layup.

Smush -- -- He swished a three out of a timeout on a Kobe kickout. That was all his point production, and the first score the Lakers had after a long dry spell. He set up Kwame for FTs with a nice no-look interior feed. He had to sit after picking up a cheap foul call, his second, midway through the first. He broke Terry's ankles on a cross-over, got into the lane and fed Cook for a dunk. He tried to throwdown in the middle of the lane and back-rimmed the dunk. He finished with 3 points on 1-6 shooting, 4 boards, 3 assists and 2 steals. That's the kind of inconsistent game that really points out the Lakers lack of depth at the small guard spot.

Kwame -- -- He drew FTs when Smush fed him in the interior, he missed both FTs. He tried to attack off the dribbled and lost the handle. Nice, controlled two-hand block at the rim. Good move to back Dirk down easily and then he clanked a left hander off the backboard at point-blank range (I swear he has some of the worst touch around the hoop). He didn't score a point, had 4 fouls and 4 boards in 14 lackluster minutes.

Cook -- -- Cook was on fire. He saved the team from being completely disgraced tonight with his perimeter shooting. He scored a career-high 28 points on 12-16 shooting in 32:50 of action. That was a game-high and it snapped Kobe's long streak of leading the team in scoring. He hit a wing jumper on a kickout from Lamar. He hit another jumper on a drive and kick from Lamar. He took a dribble and hit a wing jumper just as the shotclock buzzer went off. He hit another jumper standing on the three line. He drained an open jumper when Kobe found him. He got the ball on iso against Dirk, stepped back, shot the jumper and started heading down court before it went in. He dunked off a drive, draw and dish from Smush. Nice dive cut off the Kobe double and he got FTs, making both. (Where has this been and why aren't more players cutting when Kobe is doubled?) Great effort on the offensive glass, after the Lakers missed several times and Cook finally got it and scored at the rim. He buried an open baseline jumper on an inbounds pass. He sealed a smaller man and Lamar found him for the layup. He came back in the game and then knocked down a three, a baseline jumper and another three in the fourth.

George -- -- It sure looked like Devean was getting hit on the arm on several shots from the perimeter, without any calls. He finished with 10 points on 4-12 shooting and 6 boards to lead the bench scoring. He hit a wing 20-footer. Nice defensive board, he gave it up, then ran down the court as Kobe missed a three, he dunked it back in to end the half. He drained a three from the corner to start the second half. He airballed a three by several feet and wanted the foul call. He faked his next three and scored an And-1 at the rim, making the FT. Devean picked up another of the bizarre T's, when he bumped into a Mav as he was trying to get to his man.

Walton -- -- Luke scored 6 points on 3-4 shooting, had 5 fouls in 13 minutes and played some generally poor D. He hit a 20-footer on the Lakers first possession of the second quarter. He banked an open jumper in semi-transition. He attacked the lane, spun and hit a jumper. He missed an open three in his other attempt. He didn't have an assist.

Vujacic -- -- He passed up a midrange jumper to give it to Kobe 30-feet away. He jumped into the passing lane to steal the ball, pushed it up court, nearly missed an opportunity for a layup, but attacked again and banked it in. That was his best play of the night. He made a half-ass effort, walking over to cover KVH and KVH got the ball and hit a three. Phil called a timeout and Sasha sat after that. Sasha also missed a couple defensive rotations while on the floor, not paying attention to his teammates. He finished the game with 2 points on 1-3 shooting, 2 boards and 2 assists.

Green -- -- In late in the first as Phil tried to mix things up. He threw a bad post entry pass for a turnover. He airballed a sad looking three. He didn't score in 8:36 of action. Defensively, he's been pretty quick on his feet. He also moves the ball well in the offense, but he still can't hit a shot for anything.

Bynum -- 8) -- Phil brought Bynum in midway through the first. Nice swat on Stackhouse on help D. Wow, he got called for one of the most pathetic flagrant fouls I have seen in a long time, going to block a shot. He simply contested it hard as the player was taking it right into him. Very, very weak flagrant call. Nice contest and board against Dampier down low. Bynum played 8 minutes, didn't see the ball in the post...mostly setting screens on the perimeter. He blocked 2 shots and grabbed 2 boards in the minutes he was out there.

Wafer -- -- He got in during the last minute and got blocked on a dunk attempt...as the humbling continues. He then got stripped in the lane.

Phil -- -- Phil, obviously annoyed with the officials at the end of the game, kept the Lakers in the huddle after a delay of game warning. The officials then called a tech on him... Mavs got out to a 9-0 lead and Phil called a timeout. Smush hit a three off a Kobe kickout out of the timeout. Their only score for nearly first 6 minutes of the game. Lakers had a season-low tying 10-point first quarter on 3-17 shooting... Lakers doing a poor job countering the overplaying of the passing lanes to Kobe... Cook and Lamar getting the offense going in the second quarter... Phil benched Kwame to start the second half, opting for George... The Lakers tied the game up midway through the third quarter... Shortly after that when the bench unit came in, they trailed again by 15 a couple minutes into the fourth... The Lakers shot .388 on the game and went 7-29 from three. They have been doing a poor job with getting the ball in the post or getting any kind of dribble penetration. They clearly miss Mihm on both ends of the floor...
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Does Devin Green have any business being on this team? and i think it's time to look for a PG Smush is not getting the job done atleast until he got his Contract extention.
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Sorry to be so clueless, but I don't remember hearing that Mihm was injured... After awhile, I started wondering what was missing... I realized that Mihm was not getting playing time.

My nightmare is coming true... We are missing a quality bigman with experience. Perhaps, Mihm might have made a difference??

Props to Cook, his game came to life tonight. Can't wait for Rony.
tgf5
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject:

Wow, even Corie Blount would have brought more offense than Devin Green. For whatever reason we kept Green I don't know. Not to bag on him, but he just hasn't shown signs that he belongs here. Of course, neither do other guys like Vujacic.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Stop looking at scoring with Devin Green, he knows how to play. Once he gets a shot, it'll open up his entire game.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject:

The team is so horrible at recognizing that Cook can shoot. Especially tonight. Even Stu or Joel pointed it out in the 4th when we had plenty of time left to play. Run the 2 man pick and roll game with Bryant and Cook. Yet they didn't do it once. Instead, we got Smush forcing shots, Odom forcing shots. Kobe forcing shots. GIVE IT TO COOK.

Cook could have scored 45 if he had more shots.

Frustrating game to watch, when we had a huge shot at the comeback. Instead we throw away any possible opportunities.
DaggerInTheHeart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:
Stop looking at scoring with Devin Green, he knows how to play. Once he gets a shot, it'll open up his entire game.

So do the NBDL players but it doesn't make a difference does it? Devin Green is a waste of a roster spot they need to dump him in a trash.
Philostrator
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject:

The offense didn't execute well, too much jump shots and a lot of 3 point attempts. Lakers need to attack the basket, only Kobe and Odom were attacking it. The rest didn't do anything but to take long jump shots. Except for Cook even if he took long shots, he made most of them at least, but I wouldn't count on those shots always. This team seriously needs to get to the paint.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject:

thanks, DB...
...and in front of a situation so frustrating and humiliating, where the opponents crowd kobe because they know that our other players are scrubs, what our management think?... is it possible that they watch without doing anything?... it's a shame to see these kwame and smush and sasha wearing purple&gold, but it's even more a shame that our management is a still life...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject:

magic_bryant wrote:

Here's what I said: "He threw a bad post entry pass for a turnover. He airballed a sad looking three. He didn't score in 8:36 of action. Defensively, he's been pretty quick on his feet. He also moves the ball well in the offense, but he still can't hit a shot for anything."

So, let's see. I hit on his D. I hit on his passing in the Tri. And that he's a liability from the perimeter on the offensive end.

I should close my eyes to the fact that he has a problem with hitting a shot? When he hits his shots, I'll give him props for it...until then, I'm not sugar coating that flaw in his game.
pawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject:

Mihm is out, Bynum plays only 8 minutes and Turiaf can't even get a few garbage minutes.. :|
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject:

pawn wrote:
Mihm is out, Bynum plays only 8 minutes and Turiaf can't even get a few garbage minutes.. :|

Maybe I should have mentioned that Turiaf wasn't there. He had some more issues with paperwork and flew straight to Houston.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
magic_bryant wrote:

Here's what I said: "He threw a bad post entry pass for a turnover. He airballed a sad looking three. He didn't score in 8:36 of action. Defensively, he's been pretty quick on his feet. He also moves the ball well in the offense, but he still can't hit a shot for anything."

So, let's see. I hit on his D. I hit on his passing in the Tri. And that he's a liability from the perimeter on the offensive end.

I should close my eyes to the fact that he has a problem with hitting a shot? When he hits his shots, I'll give him props for it...until then, I'm not sugar coating that flaw in his game.

No, not you DB. That remark was for the people asking why he has a roster spot.

I was glad you mentioned the positives.

And since I haven't said it about the last few T&R, here it is:

"Thanks! Good stuff as always DB!!!"

Where's the emoticom for the above statement? We really need one.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject:

Sorry, I got confused. I thought I summed up his game pretty efficiently there. Kid just needs repetitions on that jumper, hit the gym like Kobe and take shot after shot.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:59 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Sorry, I got confused. I thought I summed up his game pretty efficiently there. Kid just needs repetitions on that jumper, hit the gym like Kobe and take shot after shot.

Oh yeah. His shot his horrible. The mechanics aren't so bad, maybe a little slow getting it off, but not bad mechanics at all. Just can't seem to hit it.

But man, once he gets a shot, look out. He's got all the skills to be a player in the triangle and is always active, usually grabbing offensive rebounds outta nowhere. Kinda like the original DG. It's just his lack of an outside shot, "closes" his game off, once he gets a shot, he'll be able to make defenses pay for doubling or feel leaving him open. Once they realize he can shoot, that ability to handle the ball adequately and pass off the dribble will become a very valuable asset to the triangle.

I expect him to eventually be the player we always wished for Devean George to be. (i.e. a smart, heady player who can handle the ball adequately and play sound, fundamental D)

I'm a huge fan of Devin's game. Just really like the little things I see in the few minutes he gets here and there. Don't really care so much about the lack of scoring at this time, as we're just trying to assemble the pieces around Kobe. If we were actually in the hunt for a title, it would be different.

But we're not.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject:

we probably would have lost anyways, but the refs were horrible

i could have sworn devean got fouled by van horn shooting a three at the end of the 3rd
orido86
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:20 am    Post subject:

tnx DB
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject:

has odom ever gotten a call when driving to the hoop?

he constantly gets contact but never a call
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:

If Lamar can play like he did last night - with Cookie or Parker stepping up - then I can see the Lakers ending this losing skid.

Kobe has a poor game. It won't happen very often.

I expect Bryant to be at his best tonight against T-Mac. If the Lakers just play with some intensity - I think they can end this losing streak tonight (And I said that 2 games ago that the most winnable game was the Houston one)

Dallas is just a way better team than us in terms of depth and talent. We can't beat them without atleast a full healthy lineup with Bryant at the peak of his game.

Wasn't the case last night.

But to tell you the truth - I much rather face Dallas as an 8th seed than Phx as a 7th.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject:

Great recap, DB. I would rather face Dallas than Phoenix if given the choice.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:

Great post DB, I missed the game last night so it was good to hear a quick recap.
Bystander
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject:

pawn wrote:

Damn, if he caught plane from Toronto he could have made it to get couple garbage minutes.
pawn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
pawn wrote:

Maybe I should have mentioned that Turiaf wasn't there. He had some more issues with paperwork and flew straight to Houston.

Thanks, DB.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

how big are Lamar's feet? (15?) seems like he steps outta bounds twice a game.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject:

I know it's not saying much, but they were at least competitive in this game as opposed to the others on the roadie. Coming back from 20 down shows some desire even if they ultimately wore out.

NKPOG = Cookie. He does one thing well and that is, he can hit from the perimeter. He kept us in the game and should've gotten more touches. Also, props to LO for gutting it out.

In the LA Times, Phil blasted Kwame: "He gave us a terrible game tonight. I had a short meeting with him the other day and told him I really valued the opportunity he was getting and he just didn't give us any productive minutes at all."

Phil also acknowledged his bad substitutions (putting in Luke and Sasha) after the Lakers made their climb back into the game in the 3rd: "Strategically, it was a bad move on my part," Jackson said. "Guys went in the ballgame and didn't give us any help."

Phil was just as frustrated as the ROT (hey, a new acronym! It stands for "Rest Of Team" and they've been pretty rotten this whole trip). Maybe instead of the Non-Kobe Player Of the Game, I should have a Best of ROT award.

As you can tell, I'm getting frustrated, too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: