LAKERS -at- ROCKETS - 2/8 - Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alpha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Nice to see your smiley face in the title again
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Thanks a bunch DB, ive been reading your recaps for ages (even though ive only started posting recently) and they are great for someone like myself who has to rely on radio streams and brief Sportscenter highlights.
One thing i liked when i was watching the highlights was Kobe's reaction to Kwame's and 1 throwdown off the sweet behind the back pass. He practically mobbed him and that shows to me how badly he wants Kwame to succeed. It was heart warming to see Ronny get out there, he will be everyones favorite Laker (not named Kobe & Bynum) soon. Nice to hear about the Odom and Kobe banter to, they seem to be really tight (contrary to what BSPN would like you to believe). Thanks again DB.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Just_Looking wrote:

Speaking of an honest evaluation ... do you think this is the beginning of something special out of Cook? He has such a sweet outside touch and added aggressive board play last night. A little D mixed in would make him a formidable PF. Do you think he has the mental fortitude to do this game in and game out?

The things I like about Cook's game: Perimeter shooting, clutch shooting, hitting the floor for loose balls and taking charges. What he needs to work on is consistent efforts on the boards, holding post position and learning to strip the ball like Karl Malone. Cook may never be a shotblocker, but learning how to strip the ball would help him. The defensive end will hold him back as he can't match up with everyone every night. He's got to bring other things to the table when his shot is not falling.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject:

LakersSpirit wrote:

I think what happened, was that Kobe decided to hold back, and facilitate the triangle. Kobe helped to get everyone ese involved. Cook was hot, like fresh baked cookies, so Kobe just fed Cook, as much as possible. Kobe still tried to take over, when our offense stagnated, but we never fully gave up, on teamwork.

We should make note of what worked for us, and try to keep using it... Of course, we need to modify, depending on the matchup.

There were a couple other games on this trip where Kobe looked to set everyone up but his guys couldn't hit a perimeter shot for anything...Cook included. If he can get some consistent perimeter shooting from teammates it would make things easier on him.
Kobina returns
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers actually played DEFENSE! Remember on the 5-1 road trip, they only allowed around 90ppg. If they can play around that good a defense in the 8 game homestand, they'll be set to win a lot of the games.
VEN_150
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
VEN_150 wrote:
Great report, lakers showed life tonight, i wish they could back kobe up like this every game, is lamar actually playing harder because he's in pain??
Sometimes, when you are sick or in pain, it makes you focus harder on your performance and what you are doing out there while playing. Many players have had great games in the face of illness or injury. Kobe and MJ both come to mind...I'm sure there are many others...

Then i hope he remembers how focused he was and keeps it up for the rest of the season - we need an X - factor, he's it
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
LakersSpirit wrote:

I think what happened, was that Kobe decided to hold back, and facilitate the triangle. Kobe helped to get everyone ese involved. Cook was hot, like fresh baked cookies, so Kobe just fed Cook, as much as possible. Kobe still tried to take over, when our offense stagnated, but we never fully gave up, on teamwork.

We should make note of what worked for us, and try to keep using it... Of course, we need to modify, depending on the matchup.

There were a couple other games on this trip where Kobe looked to set everyone up but his guys couldn't hit a perimeter shot for anything...Cook included. If he can get some consistent perimeter shooting from teammates it would make things easier on him.

You make a good point, DB... One thing we have to keep in mind, however... I sense that Cook's shooting, and Kwame's improved game, had the effect of inspiring the team, and giving everyone confidence... It's much different, when Kobe has confidence in his teammates, then, everything starts moving more efficiently.

You know what I actually started to imagine??... I thought Kobe might have made some kind of pact with the team... I could imagine Kobe telling the team that he would give them a chance to start playing as a team, but as soon as that stopped, Kobe would just start jacking them up again, and let the chips fall where they may... Either I'm hot, or not, but I'm gonna put them up... So, in a sense, I imagined that the Lakers were being forced to play together.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

I loved seeing how involved with the game Ronny Turiaf was on the sidelines. He provides energy off the bench, even when he isn't playing.

Kobe was giving up his game to get his team involved. I loved his defensive intensity. Kobe was a real leader by example. The team was playing with great intensity.

Cook has been the shooter, the second scoring threat. He had it going with Kobe. He was also rebounding. JVG had to adjust to Cook's presence.

Kwame's impact on the game was hardly represented in the statistics. He was a physical presence on Yao Ming. It was good to see some fire from Kwame.

DG may not have scored much, but he was a beast on the offensive boards. He was a real pest on defense.
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject:

Turiaf's cheering is contageous. I even saw Sasha cheering like a little girl.

This game, I felt we had an extra spunk to our step. I dunno if Phil gave them a motivating speech or something but thye looked like they played with energy as opposed to the previous 4 games.

Didnt get to catch the first half cause of stupid league pass...but seen a few highlights and liked what I seen.

If the role players can just keep hitting their open shots then well be fine.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:
Thanks DB! Nice to see your smiley face in the title again

i second that
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: