THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3330, 3331, 3332 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject:

Justice Clarence Thomas called himself a termite. It fits.

Quote:
At a speaking engagement last month, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas shed light on who he is. During his last year at Yale Law School, he recalled, he was having difficulty finding a job and someone was giving him grief about it — being a “jerk,” as he put it.

“I said, ‘You will always remember me. I am the termite in your basement. … I will be there,” Thomas recalled. “They can go and have spring break, they can go backpack in Europe,” Thomas said. “I am that termite, working away.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/justice-clarence-thomas-called-himself-a-termite-it-fits/ar-AAYYslK?cvid=886a0b1ab0d54f76ab62dd7f0bb3de94
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:55 am    Post subject:

The GOP rot runs deep:

Quote:
Kaivan Shroff @KaivanShroff

A reminder that Neil Gorsuch’s mom was Reagan’s EPA Administrator and had to resign in disgrace. She was the first agency director in history to be cited for contempt of congress.

During her tenure she slashed the EPA budget and let pollution run rampant.

It’s particularly relevant given that her son may use his stolen SCOTUS seat to help gut the EPA this week. Finishing mom’s dirty work.

Washington Post: Neil Gorsuch’s mother once ran the EPA. It didn’t go well.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:18 am    Post subject:

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject:

The Majority Report w/ Sam Seder

(Republicans PANICKING As Majority Of Americans Reject Conservative SCOTUS Overturning Roe)

Quote:
Conservatives like Fox host Mark Levin are in panic mode, disputing the fact that Roe V. Wade was even "really" overturned by the US Supreme Court. Levin repeats the GOP talking point that not much will change for Americans: "It's not taking anybody's rights away, it's not giving rights to anybody. first of all, God does that."

= = = =

The Constitution means whatever the Supreme Court interprets it to mean.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Rosenberg: A Devastating Presentation Of Facts But Prosecutors Need All The Evidence)

Quote:
Former U.S. Attorney Chuck Rosenberg discusses evidence of alleged witness tampering revealed during the surprise January 6 Committee hearing Tuesday, what it could mean and why he says despite a 'devastating presentation of facts' prosecutors still need all evidence before prosecuting.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject:

CNN

('Blessed are the cruel?' SE Cupp lays bare Republicans' hypocrisy)

Quote:
In this week's episode of "Unfiltered," SE Cupp argues that the Supreme Court's overturning of Roe v. Wade has brought out the hypocrisy and cruelty of some right-wing political leaders.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
The media is so desperate to proclaim heroes when they don't deserve it.

This woman witnessed the most lawless, corrupt, authoritarian, divisive administration, worked happily in it for years, somehow got promoted to senior positions just a few yards from the oval office at a young age (it helps to be white and attractive), witnessed an insurrection, and then only came out and told the truth as part of a fact finding commission many months later.

She did the right thing in the narrowest sense. It makes her just slightly better than all the other clowns that worked in the administration that have remained with Trump. Same with that MAGA Speaker of the House in Arizona.

I know the committee is limited in its scope, but I wish someone would just ask these people, "Why were you okay with all that madness for years?" etc.

This an important point. We are in this mess because Republican leadership has willingly supported the sheer madness of Trumpism etc. for the last 6 years. Only a handful are speaking up now after being complicit all this time. While it is helpful that those few have finally come forward, it doesn’t erase their inaction for the last several years, and by no means that republicans as a whole will cease supporting the fall of the nation’s democracy.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

This woman witnessed the most lawless, corrupt, authoritarian, divisive administration, worked happily in it for years, somehow got promoted to senior positions just a few yards from the oval office at a young age (it helps to be white and attractive), witnessed an insurrection, and then only came out and told the truth as part of a fact finding commission many months later.

She did the right thing in the narrowest sense. It makes her just slightly better than all the other clowns that worked in the administration that have remained with Trump. Same with that MAGA Speaker of the House in Arizona.

I know the committee is limited in its scope, but I wish someone would just ask these people, "Why were you okay with all that madness for years?" etc.

I am not saying she is a hero, but it does seem like the pressure around her was pretty intense. Its easy to say "I would have done this etc." but IIRC her first lawyer was a trumptard so I am sure that alone was hindering a normal thought process.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Holy Father giving the finger to reactionary US Bishops?

Pelosi receives Communion in Vatican despite abortion stance

Quote:
U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi met with Pope Francis on Wednesday and received Communion during a papal Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica, witnesses said, despite her position in support of abortion rights.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Holy Father giving the finger to reactionary US Bishops?

Pelosi receives Communion in Vatican despite abortion stance

Quote:
U.S. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi met with Pope Francis on Wednesday and received Communion during a papal Mass in St. Peter’s Basilica, witnesses said, despite her position in support of abortion rights.

I hope so . . .

leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Justice Breyer is retiring...Can we put someone in who's 20?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

Ketanji Brown-Jackson is 51 years of age and will take over immediately after Breyer retires.
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

His replacement Ketanji Brown Jackson was already confirmed awhile ago and will be sworn in tomorrow.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:

I'm barred, I'll do it.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Wilt wrote:

I am not saying she is a hero, but it does seem like the pressure around her was pretty intense. Its easy to say "I would have done this etc." but IIRC her first lawyer was a trumptard so I am sure that alone was hindering a normal thought process.

She still came across to me as puzzling-ly thoughtful for a young Repub, young staffer or no. They're often miles more grating than she was. Very demure and soft-spoken. Goes to show you never know.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:17 pm    Post subject:

I just looked all their ages.

Thomas is only 6 years older than Sotomayor, even though he has served 18 years longer. It tells you how young he was when he came to the court (43).
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Wilt wrote:

She still came across to me as puzzling-ly thoughtful for a young Repub, young staffer or no. They're often miles more grating than she was. Very demure and soft-spoken. Goes to show you never know.

She also threw away her career, her social circle, and likely has risked her life in taking an ethical stance. You can applaud her bravery without valorizing her. And given what you note about how she came across in her testimony, npz, a decent, better person may be salvaged from the hell of a career in GOP politics.

Last edited by Baron Von Humongous on Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Thomas is only 6 years older than Sotomayor, even though he has served 18 years longer. It tells you how young he was when he came to the court (43).

Sotomayor is the best SCOTUS Justice of my lifetime and I think she should retire now. I didn't realize how old she was. That's terrifying.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Wilt wrote:

She also threw away her career, her social circle, and likely has risked her life in taking an ethical stance. You can applaud her bravery without valorizing her. And given what you note about how she came across in her testimony, npz, a decent, better person may be salvaged from the hell of a career in GOP politics.

Hope springs eternal. I truly hope she's spared the ugliness that the Trumpsters dish out and I at least suspect that she's smart enough and has the right schools to find professional work in some other field if that's what it comes to. I also am of the opinion that young women are often more professional and/or willing to spill secrets than a lot of their male age cohorts (and Repub politics is a boy's club in all the worst ways). I'll buy that theory, not just in politics. The name Cassidy Hutchinson screams WASPy Northeastern Republican parents, probably upper middle class -- even if every part of that is completely wrong. Reminds me of this part in The Sopranos where Carm tries to get someone to write a college LOR for Meadow and the woman she asked had met Meadow once at her sister's backyard BBQ. She asks Carm, "Fielder, right?" It takes a second to process the joke and laugh, but Meadow vs Fielder. Cassidy is one of those names to me. I dunno how much empathy young Cassidy has, but hopefully its enough that a little more age-gained maturity might get her to realize that her party is full of crooks and freaks. That's why she was makin me scratch my head on her demeanor alone. The character Alex P. Keaton wasn't contrived from thin air. How is that kind of young lady in the same party as someone like MTG or Boebert? Or take some shill like McEnany or Hucakbee Sanders. Those are the women she saw at the WH. Who exactly WOULD serve as a female role model for her in Trumpland? Get her back on the stand to ask her that one.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Sotomayor is the best SCOTUS Justice of my lifetime and I think she should retire now. I didn't realize how old she was. That's terrifying.

But I thought 2009 was just the other year
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Trying to look for the silver lining to this ugly week -- the election is a ways off but still this is good news, especially compared to just a month ago.

Quote:
Simon Rosenberg @SimonWDC

We now have 3 Congressional Generics since Roe ended:

NPR/Marist 48 Dem 41 R +7
Morning Consult 45 Dem 42 R +3
Yahoo/YouGov 45 Dem 38 R +7
and in this poll
"Pro-choice Dem" vs "Pro-life R" is 47-32.

It's a new election

I worry most Americans will forget about Roe v Wade by November and vote GOP if gas and inflation don't start to come down
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Finally a man willing to say truths and hopefully they hear it
Quote:

US Rep Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) hits back at fellow Republican Lauren Boebert's church and state remark: "There is no difference between this and the Taliban. We must oppose the Christian Taliban. I say this as a Christian." He is first US Republican congressperson to use the phrase "Christian Taliban"

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/3541255-kinzinger-hits-back-at-boeberts-church-and-state-remarks-we-must-oppose-the-christian-taliban/
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
Wilt wrote:

But I thought 2009 was just the other year

It's going by so fast...
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject:

It's perverse that Biden has so far brilliantly stewarded NATO between total genocide in Ukraine and Russian launched global nuclear warfare, which nonetheless won't be acknowledging by the American public. It's the greatest achievement (so far) in his presidency (and one of the greatest wins in American foreign policy) and it won't be rewarded by anyone except historians.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject:

It's perverse that Biden has so far brilliantly stewarded NATO between total genocide in Ukraine and Russian launched global nuclear warfare, which nonetheless won't be acknowledging by the American public. It's the greatest achievement (so far) in his presidency (and one of the greatest wins in American foreign policy) and it won't be rewarded by anyone except historians.

Too many USA voters are dumbasses.

Too caught up in race, nativism, tribe, KKKristianity, misogyny, anti-LGBTQI+, etc.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3330, 3331, 3332 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 3331 of 3671
Jump to: