THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3487, 3488, 3489 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:26 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Its funny when my coworker tried to defend Trump today. And I just told him, "do you think the justice system would think twice about locking up you or me, if we pulled the same stuff Trump did?"

His response was. Well he was President. What if it was Obama (since I'm AA, he thought he checkmated me)?

I replied, "Obama?" "The guy who had to show his birth certificate to effectively perform the highest office in the world?" "The guy who had to apologize for his minister (who in retrospect wasn't 1/2 as appalling as Trump)?"
"The guy who had to be the squeakiest, cleanest, President ever because the skin color he was born with?" "That Obama?" "Wore a tan suit and Republicans lost their mind, Obama"?

Needless to say. He shut up. Which gave me ample time to go into how President doesn't mean king. Doesn't give a free pass to criminality for life, etc. etc. etc.

And honestly, that last part is the only thing more dangerous than Trump. Precedent. We can't let Republican Presidential criminality slide.
You give the GOP an inch. They'll take a mile.
We aren't just fighting to keep Trump's criminality in check. We're fight to shut the door as closed as possible on Republicans moving forward. Because they do look up to Trump. And they will try to push forward the belief that Republican Presidents are (and should be) above the law moving forward, indefinitely.

They look up to Trump because he hasn't been locked up... for being an ugly Bully.
Politicians created the enemies these idiots love to see pushed around and Trump did that for them..

Civics courses must be taught all through grade school if we are to stop the corruption

BTW.. if you feel your coworker is opening up.. print out your post or the dialogue between you two so he will have to remember he heard the truth once.. just an off the wall thought
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:32 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Its funny when my coworker tried to defend Trump today. And I just told him, "do you think the justice system would think twice about locking up you or me, if we pulled the same stuff Trump did?"

His response was. Well he was President. What if it was Obama (since I'm AA, he thought he checkmated me)?

I replied, "Obama?" "The guy who had to show his birth certificate to effectively perform the highest office in the world?" "The guy who had to apologize for his minister (who in retrospect wasn't 1/2 as appalling as Trump)?"
"The guy who had to be the squeakiest, cleanest, President ever because the skin color he was born with?" "That Obama?" "Wore a tan suit and Republicans lost their mind, Obama"?

Needless to say. He shut up. Which gave me ample time to go into how President doesn't mean king. Doesn't give a free pass to criminality for life, etc. etc. etc.

And honestly, that last part is the only thing more dangerous than Trump. Precedent. We can't let Republican Presidential criminality slide.
We aren't just fighting to keep Trump's criminality in check. We're fight to shut the door as closed as possible on Republicans moving forward. Because they do look up to Trump. And they will try to push forward the belief that Republican Presidents are (and should be) above the law moving forward, indefinitely.

They look up to Trump because he hasn't been locked up... for being an ugly Bully.
Politicians created the enemies these idiots love to see pushed around and Trump did that for them..

Civics courses must be taught all through grade school if we are to stop the corruption

BTW.. if you feel your coworker is opening up.. print out your post or the dialogue between you two so he will have to remember he heard the truth once.. just an off the wall thought

If he was self-aware enough for your thought to work.
He wouldn't be defending Trump to begin with.
But on the off chance, I do open his eyes. I'll print out this post like you suggested.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
NY is trying to prevent another 1/6. But this time Trump's supporters have seen their 1/6 compatriots tried, convicted and thrown in jail and their lord & savior Trump didn't do squat to protect them. Now they are warning each other to stay home because they think the FBI is setting a trap for them. They even think "antifa" will show up dressed like MAGAs in order to get MAGAs in trouble. It's a weird world out there.

I don't think there will be any immediate, significant protests. More likely some loan wolf does something stupid in the near future.

Let’s hope. I think the MAGAts aren’t any better at controlling their emotions and behavior in order to do the smart thing than Trump is. And of course if anything does occur, the go to excuse will be that the mythical Antifa will be the culprits. The best thing we can hope for is that Trump’s current dog whistle fails to reach much of the MAGA community’s ear.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:06 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
kikanga wrote:

But on the off chance, I do open his eyes. I'll print out this post like you suggested.

Awesome. That is caring for your fellow man whose amygdala is not relating to his heart or rational mind.

Be sure you know them well enough that it won't overly trigger them etc.. I'm nervous now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

And therein lies the problem. While the MAGA crowd is clearly delusional about Trump, those who see themselves as "regular/traditional" republicans often aren't much different. They find ways to rationalize their support for the unsupportable because it suits their personal agenda.

Last week, I had a very spirited political discussion over beers with a half dozen golf buddies. On some levels, it wasn't much different than the hundreds of such conversations I have had over the years. Very animated arguments from both sides, some with more substantial basis than others. It was a mixed group; from a couple of total lefties to a life long conservative republican who had never voted for any democrat, on any level, prior to Biden in 2020 and a guy who claims he has been liberal his whole life, but everything he says indicates otherwise - he says things, "I dislike Trump as much as you guys, but you have to admit the country was doing much better under Trump, financially and otherwise, than it is under Biden" and a couple who fell somewhere in the middle. Those who weren't lifelong democrats found ways to justify Republican behavior over recent years, despite it being pointed out why those policies have been problematic for decades.

It's very clear that most republicans these days are not much different than Trumpers, they just try to find ways to distance themselves from the zealots even though they actually agree with message. But where this conversation was different than just about every other discussion I have had over the last several decades was with that one lifelong republican who had finally had enough. A retired Boeing exec in his 60's, he's finally seen enough from the right to see they are on the wrong path, aligning themselves with people on the wrong side of decency and democracy. He was just as vocal about shutting down those justifying the current republican party's support of Trumpism and shifts toward fascism. The fact that he is a rarity indicates that republicans are willing to do or justify anything as a means to an end to serve their self-interest.

And that's where the country's balance for the future is on a tipping point. There aren't enough of the old school republicans who are willing to actually be moderate or re-evaluate their position based on the current madness that infects the right. Tribalism trumps all to them. Which is why our only hope for a rational future is that our youth becomes more and more involved in political action before we reach the point of no return.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:53 pm    Post subject:

BBC News

(The Iraq invasion and its consequences, with 20 years of hindsight - BBC Newsnight)

Quote:
It's 20 years since US and British forces invaded Saddam Hussein's Iraq.

The then US Secretary of State Colin Powell declared the time for diplomacy over, British Foreign Secretary Robin Cook resigned, and the second UN resolution authorising force was withdrawn.

George W Bush, who was then president of the US, issued a 48-hour ultimatum to Saddam to leave Iraq or face war.

What followed still reverberates today, from hundreds of thousands of deaths and missing weapons of mass destruction, to elections, the growing influence of Iran, the rise of ISIS, and the impact on US and British politics and foreign policy.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject:

David Pakman Show

(Why do MAGA Trumpists love authoritarianism?)

Quote:
-- Why do modern Republicans, including in particular MAGA Trumpists, love authoritarianism?

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Lawrence: Don’t worry about violent Trump mob invading Manhattan)

Quote:
MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell analyzes new the developments in Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg’s investigation into the hush-money payment paid to adult film actress Stephanie Clifford on behalf of former President Donald Trump during the 2016 campaign, and explains why you don’t need to worry about Republicans’ attempts to undermine Bragg’s investigation.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
And therein lies the problem. While the MAGA crowd is clearly delusional about Trump, those who see themselves as "regular/traditional" republicans often aren't much different. They find ways to rationalize their support for the unsupportable because it suits their personal agenda.

Last week, I had a very spirited political discussion over beers with a half dozen golf buddies. On some levels, it wasn't much different than the hundreds of such conversations I have had over the years. Very animated arguments from both sides, some with more substantial basis than others. It was a mixed group; from a couple of total lefties to a life long conservative republican who had never voted for any democrat, on any level, prior to Biden in 2020 and a guy who claims he has been liberal his whole life, but everything he says indicates otherwise - he says things, "I dislike Trump as much as you guys, but you have to admit the country was doing much better under Trump, financially and otherwise, than it is under Biden" and a couple who fell somewhere in the middle. Those who weren't lifelong democrats found ways to justify Republican behavior over recent years, despite it being pointed out why those policies have been problematic for decades.

It's very clear that most republicans these days are not much different than Trumpers, they just try to find ways to distance themselves from the zealots even though they actually agree with message. But where this conversation was different than just about every other discussion I have had over the last several decades was with that one lifelong republican who had finally had enough. A retired Boeing exec in his 60's, he's finally seen enough from the right to see they are on the wrong path, aligning themselves with people on the wrong side of decency and democracy. He was just as vocal about shutting down those justifying the current republican party's support of Trumpism and shifts toward fascism. The fact that he is a rarity indicates that republicans are willing to do or justify anything as a means to an end to serve their self-interest.

And that's where the country's balance for the future is on a tipping point. There aren't enough of the old school republicans who are willing to actually be moderate or re-evaluate their position based on the current madness that infects the right. Tribalism trumps all to them. Which is why our only hope for a rational future is that our youth becomes more and more involved in political action before we reach the point of no return.

I think it was you (forgive me if I'm wrong) who said he had liberal children who are active politically. Be it voting, donating, or organizing.

Your political circle is wide DMR. I admire that.

Just circling back to the lack of self-awareness from Republican voters.

The "regular/traditional" Republican people in my social circle tend to get frustrated when I ask them just a few questions. It's probably because I'm too patronizing.

Had a convo with a Republican who believed there should be exceptions for abortion (rape, health of the mother, etc). To which I replied, "that doesn't matter! A zygote is a LIFE! No matter what". He then went on to make a bunch of points that Democrats regularly make for abortion access. With zero self awareness.

But if he would've said there should be no exceptions for abortion, I would've just agreed and made a point about how its inappropriate for his daughter to show her hair in public. Because Qur'an 24:31 states women should cover their "adornments" and not show them to strangers outside the family. And then let him argue to me about how our country shouldn't empower religious extremism.

"Regular/traditional" Republicans hate confronting the hypocrisy in their beliefs. But what can I do? Those conservative "snow flakes" should retreat to their "safe spaces" if my "facts over feelings" arguments upset them.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject:

The Young Turks

(Proud Boys Hit With INSTANT KARMA After Attempting To Shut Down Drag Queen Story Hour)

Quote:
Proud Boys retreated from attempting to crash a drag queen story hour event. Ana Kasparian and Cenk Uygur discuss on The Young Turks.

Punk Bass Itches: Proud Boys

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:17 pm    Post subject:

The Majority Report w/ Sam Seder

(Tennessee Homophobic Anti-Trans Legislation Gains Support Of Literal Nazis)

Quote:
Val from Nashville calls the show with some updates on Tennessee’s Nazi-supported trans- and homophobic legislation.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:20 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Trump indictment would only be a problem if he and GOP make it one (and they're trying))

Quote:
Rachel Maddow explains that while Americans and the U.S. system of government is able to function smoothly even as politicians at all levels are routinely indicted on a variety of crimes, the true danger is when that functioning justice system is attacked or corrupted, as Republicans are doing in an effort to protect Donald Trump.

anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:23 am    Post subject:

Seems like nothing happening today or this week.
Doubt he gets indicted or arrested this week.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Law enforcement bracing for possible pro-Trump protests)

Quote:
Law enforcement agencies are preparing for the possibility of a Manhattan grand jury indicting former President Trump and the protests that could come as a result. The Morning Joe panel discusses.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject:

MSNBC

(Al Franken: Trump is the worst possible person we could have in the White House)

Quote:
Former Sen. Al Franken joins Morning Joe to share his thoughts on the current state of the Republican Party, the possible indictment of former President Trump, his recent interview with Sen. Lindsey Graham and his thoughts on Trump as the 2024 Republican nominee.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject:

Fabrication is Trump's forte. He hasn't been arrested. What will his reason be?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Bomb Threat Called In to New York Court Where Trump Hearing Held

Bloomberg
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject:

is it Tuesday?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Bomb Threat Called In to New York Court Where Trump Hearing Held

Bloomberg

In case you're not able to read this entire post here's a link with information similar.

NYPD receives unfounded bomb threats as city gears up ahead of possible Trump indictment

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject:

Just wait till Eric starts attacking DeSatan

Donald Trump Jr unloads on Ron DeSantis after he failed to back his father: ‘Owned by the billionaire donors
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-jr-ron-desantis-b2305201.html
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Trump now announces if elected he will form a ‘Truth & Reconciliation Commission to “expose the hoaxes” of the Deep State, he will crackdown and prosecute govt leakers, and will move 100,000 govt jobs out of DC to “places filled with patriots who love America.”

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1638240137137078273?t=T7LJ6r-neZi96IIKhbhRuw&s=19
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
Trump now announces if elected he will form a ‘Truth & Reconciliation Commission to “expose the hoaxes” of the Deep State, he will crackdown and prosecute govt leakers, and will move 100,000 govt jobs out of DC to “places filled with patriots who love America.”

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1638240137137078273?t=T7LJ6r-neZi96IIKhbhRuw&s=19

That's not terrifying or anything.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject:

It looks like Chump lied about getting arrested today. That's not going to happen. Hopefully tomorrow.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

That's not terrifying or anything.

One step from falling out a window
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:08 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
It looks like Chump lied about getting arrested today. That's not going to happen. Hopefully tomorrow.

I feel like nothing is going to happen.
He has avoided arrest for decades. What changes now?
I wish the DOJ would speed up their work. Garland and Jack Smith working like snails.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3487, 3488, 3489 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 3488 of 3671
Jump to: