THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3522, 3523, 3524 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Halflife wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen AT NoLieWithBTC · 7h
If you have student loan debt, you should know this:

Every single House Republican just voted to overturn President Biden’s student debt forgiveness plan AND retroactively charge you interest on your paused payments.

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1661826243891789825

It's pretty remarkable how much Republicans hate young people. Stuff like this is so short-sided. It's dooming the GOP's future. And I'm okay with that.

the GOP have a habit of still getting those they dump on to vote for them.

If women take their rights serious and young people want a manageable future they would vote them out of office. Those 2 demos alone could do it.

Unfortunately, we are in a space where trump or Desantis could be our next pres.

I agree 100%. I've been skeptical when people say the younger generations will be the demise of the GOP.

But a party choosing to enslave 10s of millions of people to a lifelong debt they'll never be able to repay. I think that's enough of a tipping point. We'll see.

Look at the direction the Hispanic vote is turning. Dems forever assumed they would get it and have for the most part but culturally they skew religion, they want the border dealt with and crime in their communities. All things they associate with the GOP that are entirely false.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:00 am    Post subject:

The snake oil salesman is shifting into second gear. I may be rowing this canoe alone. I don't think Trump will win the 2024 nomination. At least I hope he doesn't.

Trump’s welcome of Scott into 2024 race shows his calculus: The more GOP rivals, the better for him
By JILL COLVIN and STEVE PEOPLES
today

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:45 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
The snake oil salesman is shifting into second gear. I may be rowing this canoe alone. I don't think Trump will win the 2024 nomination. At least I hope he doesn't.

Trump’s welcome of Scott into 2024 race shows his calculus: The more GOP rivals, the better for him
By JILL COLVIN and STEVE PEOPLES
today

LINK

To be honest, I've been surprised the past 2 General Elections for President. I'm out of the prediction game when it comes to the General Election.

The year and a half we have between now and November 2024 is a political eternity.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Most Republican primary states are winner-take-all, so it benefits Trump to have as many opponents as possible, since he'll get the vast majority of delegates.

I just don't see how anyone else has a chance, if Trump is alive. The base is completely devoted to him, no scandal or indictment will convince them to switch. There is a group that will run to be picked as his VP candidate, and there's a group that will run hoping he's too sick or dead by 2024.

If somehow someone miraculously beats him and gathers more delegates, he will never concede anyway.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject:

bernouts in 2020: noooo you can't call us maga enablers! believe tara reade, biden should drop out!

tara reade in 2024: defects to russia

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 1:17 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
bernouts in 2020: noooo you can't call us maga enablers! believe tara reade, biden should drop out!

tara reade in 2024: defects to russia

I just read this!
Here's the article:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/may/30/tara-reade-defects-russia-biden
Color me shocked!
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject:

President Donald Trump acknowledges he held onto a classified Pentagon document about a potential attack on Iran

Jack "Guillotine" Smith obtained audio of a trump meeting from 2021 where he talks about a document he kept...

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/31/politics/trump-tape-classified-document-iran-milley/index.html
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject:

It’s crazy MTG is still in a leadership role. She seems to hate the government.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

A lot of conservatives and libertarians seem to hate the government.

I blame Ronald Reagan for saying stuff like "govt isn't the solution; govt is the problem" and "the scariest words are I'm from the govt and I'm here to help." He inspired a whole generation of people to think that any amount or kind of govt intervention and services are evil.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:59 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I blame Ronald Reagan for saying stuff like "govt isn't the solution; govt is the problem" and "the scariest words are I'm from the govt and I'm here to help." He inspired a whole generation of people to think that any amount or kind of govt intervention and services are evil.

she is batpoo (pardon my french) crazy about her hatred. I just finished watching Waco the Aftermath and she seems to be of that ilk and I'm not talking Kouresh Im talking McVeigh.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Halflife wrote:

she is batpoo (pardon my french) crazy about her hatred. I just finished watching Waco the Aftermath and she seems to be of that ilk and I'm not talking Kouresh Im talking McVeigh.

It's sad how in the '90s people like McVeigh were considered out in the ether, but now those MFers are pretty much mainstream conservatives.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Halflife wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Halflife wrote:

It's sad how in the '90s people like McVeigh were considered out in the ether, but now those MFers are pretty much mainstream conservatives.

Yes. And what’s worse they are shooting people which is now the norm. They don’t need ok city style terrorism anymore.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Some legal analysts believe Trump is going to be indicted in a matter of days to weeks in the Mara Lago documents case.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Some legal analysts believe Trump is going to be indicted in a matter of days to weeks in the Mara Lago documents case.

I always bet the over.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:50 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Not going to be foolish enough to play Charlie Brown to Lucy’s football nonsense at this point.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject:

stumbled upon this link randomly
https://www.newsweek.com/us-showing-many-genocide-warning-signs-donald-trump-expert-very-worried-1483817

U.S. Showing 'Many' Genocide Warning Signs Under Trump, Expert Says: 'I Am Very, Very Worried'
By David Brennan On 1/24/20 at 5:15 AM EST

Three and a half years ago...it gets a bit over the top but we have some very dirty Republicans in America who are criminals and wish to commit more crimes under the cover of government...

Quote:
Brynn Tannehill—a former naval aviator who is now an academic and trans rights activist—posted a Twitter thread on Thursday setting out the early genocide warning signs, noting that the U.S. was still some way from catastrophe but that the nation's direction is deeply concerning.

Quote:
"The politicians enacting it are populists who benefit from stirring Us vs. Them narratives, placing blame for the woes of the nation on others who are somehow less worthy," she wrote. "They yearn for a mythological past [without] these people. It's a highly viable tactic for shoring up support."

The undesirables are smeared in a variety of ways, whether labeled criminals, sex offenders, threats to women and children or "generally unworthy of empathy," Tannehill continued. Anyone who defends such groups is then demonized.

Propaganda further vilifies a target group, dehumanizing them and enabling "public safety measures" such as removing them from government jobs and revoking security clearances, Tannehill said.

A government might also start publishing statistics detailing the crimes committed by the target group while failing to prosecute—or pardoning—those who commit crimes against the minority.

This also requires a government to co-opt the courts and ensure they will not stand in its way. With a minority already excluded from government and security roles, it is easier to then block them from the education system, job market and even deny them healthcare.

"You can create vast zones where the minority is forbidden from public life," Tannehill said. "Make them carry/wear IDs identifying them as 'other'...If this sounds familiar, the Germans modeled their 1930's laws on those used to keep the US South segregated."
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
stumbled upon this link randomly
https://www.newsweek.com/us-showing-many-genocide-warning-signs-donald-trump-expert-very-worried-1483817

U.S. Showing 'Many' Genocide Warning Signs Under Trump, Expert Says: 'I Am Very, Very Worried'
By David Brennan On 1/24/20 at 5:15 AM EST

Three and a half years ago...it gets a bit over the top but we have some very dirty Republicans in America who are criminals and wish to commit more crimes under the cover of government...

Quote:
Brynn Tannehill—a former naval aviator who is now an academic and trans rights activist—posted a Twitter thread on Thursday setting out the early genocide warning signs, noting that the U.S. was still some way from catastrophe but that the nation's direction is deeply concerning.

Quote:
"The politicians enacting it are populists who benefit from stirring Us vs. Them narratives, placing blame for the woes of the nation on others who are somehow less worthy," she wrote. "They yearn for a mythological past [without] these people. It's a highly viable tactic for shoring up support."

The undesirables are smeared in a variety of ways, whether labeled criminals, sex offenders, threats to women and children or "generally unworthy of empathy," Tannehill continued. Anyone who defends such groups is then demonized.

Propaganda further vilifies a target group, dehumanizing them and enabling "public safety measures" such as removing them from government jobs and revoking security clearances, Tannehill said.

A government might also start publishing statistics detailing the crimes committed by the target group while failing to prosecute—or pardoning—those who commit crimes against the minority.

This also requires a government to co-opt the courts and ensure they will not stand in its way. With a minority already excluded from government and security roles, it is easier to then block them from the education system, job market and even deny them healthcare.

"You can create vast zones where the minority is forbidden from public life," Tannehill said. "Make them carry/wear IDs identifying them as 'other'...If this sounds familiar, the Germans modeled their 1930's laws on those used to keep the US South segregated."

"noting that the U.S. was still some way from catastrophe" - doesn't seem to hold anymore.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Chuck Todd out on MTP. I don't like him but the format of the show doesn't lend itself to digging deep into topics. Should be interesting to see who is next.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject:

It's not the format that is the problem. There is plenty of time to dig deep into topics. It's people like Chuck Todd who care about access more than anything and therefore won't challenge their guests, particularly Republican/conservative guests who spread misinformation every time they appear. He even admitted it once. There is a reason Lindsey Graham has appeared on these shows 5945334 times, since he knows it's friendly territory.

So if you claim to be a journalist and your most important objective isn't the truth but access, these shows provide no societal benefit.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:51 am    Post subject:

Quote:
BREAKING: Trump’s lawyers just spotted by @CBSNews entering the Justice Department, per @RobLegare who is on site… comes as sources tell me the special counsel is moving toward a charging decision in the classified documents case

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1665722395095605248?t=V6NaJypTD7bbJVkAqbShBw&s=19
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Often defense attorneys are given the opportunity to “pitch” the DOJ before a charging decision is made.

Trump’s team visiting DOJ likely means that we won’t see charges in the next few days—as their pitch is considered—but could potentially see charges in the next 5 to 15 days.

https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1665729528923140098
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
It's not the format that is the problem. There is plenty of time to dig deep into topics. It's people like Chuck Todd who care about access more than anything and therefore won't challenge their guests, particularly Republican/conservative guests who spread misinformation every time they appear. He even admitted it once. There is a reason Lindsey Graham has appeared on these shows 5945334 times, since he knows it's friendly territory.

So if you claim to be a journalist and your most important objective isn't the truth but access, these shows provide no societal benefit.

Exactly. And that is why his departure has been rumored to be coming for a long time now.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:51 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
BREAKING: Trump’s lawyers just spotted by @CBSNews entering the Justice Department, per @RobLegare who is on site… comes as sources tell me the special counsel is moving toward a charging decision in the classified documents case

https://twitter.com/costareports/status/1665722395095605248?t=V6NaJypTD7bbJVkAqbShBw&s=19

I bet that decision is "no".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
A zillion stories about Trump case — but bottom line is he is getting charged and it will be in DC. And this week.
Open issues are whether others may be charged and whether they will be in DC or FLA.

https://twitter.com/AWeissmann_/status/1665804706013126656
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
“Lawyers for former President Donald J. Trump met on Monday at the Justice Department with officials, including the special counsel Jack Smith, two weeks after requesting a meeting to discuss their concerns about Mr. Smith’s investigations into Mr. Trump”

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1665801227613896704
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3522, 3523, 3524 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 3523 of 3671
Jump to: