THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3744, 3745, 3746 ... 3775, 3776, 3777  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ocasio-Cortez backing Biden: ‘The matter is closed’

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) reaffirmed her support for President Biden on Monday as calls from Democrats for him to step aside as the party’s presumptive nominee for the White House have increased.

“I have spoken to the president over the weekend. I have spoken with him extensively,” Ocasio-Cortez told reporters outside the Capitol on Monday evening. “He made clear then — and he has made clear since — that he is in this race.”

“The matter is closed,” she continued. “He had reiterated that this morning. He has reiterated that to the public. Joe Biden is our nominee. He is not leaving this race. He is in this race, and I support him.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4761323-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-backing-joe-biden-post-debate/
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The media has been breathlessly attacking Biden. What about Trump?

The bigger story is Donald Trump’s appalling unfitness for office. He tried to overturn a legitimate election and is a felon

It’s possible for two conflicting ideas to be true at once.

And so it is with the mainstream media’s unrelenting focus on Joe Biden’s mental acuity, following his terrible debate performance earlier this month.

First truth: the president’s stumble and the political fallout that followed is a huge, consequential news story that deserves a lot of coverage.

Second truth: the media coverage is overkill – not only too much in quantity and too breathless in tone, but also taking up so much oxygen that a story even more important is shoved to the back burner.

That bigger story, of course, is the former president’s appalling unfitness for office, not only because he tried to overturn a legitimate election and is a felon, out on bail and awaiting sentencing, but because of things he has said and done in very recent weeks. As just one example, he claimed that he doesn’t know anything about Project 2025, the radical rightwing plan hatched by some of his closest allies to begin dismantling our democracy if he wins another term.

Trump’s disavowal is a ridiculous lie, but I doubt most members of the public know anything about it, nor do they likely know much – if anything – about Project 2025.

But anyone following mainstream media coverage could not miss knowing about the latest polls on whether Biden should step aside, how Kamala Harris would fare in a head-to-head competition with Trump, and which members of Congress have called for a new Democratic nominee.

And those are just the news stories – not to mention the nonstop punditry on cable news and the near takeover of the opinion sections of major publications.

Meanwhile, what of Trump’s obvious cognitive decline, his endless lies, his shocking plans to imprison his political enemies and to deport millions of people he calls “animals”, his relationship with the late accused sex-trafficker Jeffrey Epstein?

“Sure, you can say, we’ve covered those things,” commented Norman Ornstein, emeritus scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and a longtime observer of media and politics. But, Ornstein pushed back: “Where? On the front page above the fold? As one-offs before moving on? In a fashion comparable to the Defcon 1 coverage of Biden’s age and acuity?”

There really is no comparison in the amount or intensity of coverage. One journalist, Jennifer Schulze, counted New York Times stories related to Biden’s age in the week following the debate; she counted a staggering 192 news and opinion pieces, compared to 92 stories on Trump – and that was in a week when the US supreme court had ruled he has immunity for official acts.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/jul/09/biden-media-attacks-trump-felon
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Regarding the media and right-wing's latest conspiracy theories about Biden's health:

Quote:
Heather Thomas @HeatherThomasAF

The NYT should change their name to Enquirer.
That neurologist treats over 1000 service members with neurological issues at the WH. He was there for them. Shame on the NYT lazy conspiracy reporting and shame on press core's piggish treatment of Karine Jean-Pierre today.

kikanga wrote:
This is the type of stuff that makes me jealous of European nations:
https://twitter.com/dedmon/status/1810131275757314193

Quote:
NYT: “While many in France cheered what appeared to be a loss for the far right, others were fearful of what the far left might bring.”

The NY Times is a complete joke and I encourage anyone who has a subscription to cancel it. They've completely destroyed their reputation as a legitimate news source.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Patrick Chovanec @prchovanec (economic adviser, author, Republican)

I keep encountering the question "If Trump is really a wanna-be dictator, why didn't he do it during his first term? You're just fearmongering." I have three simple answers to this.

1) When Trump was first elected, he lacked confidence, and surrounded himself with more experienced people who were willing tell him no. Eventually either they quit or he fired them. He sees them now as traitors, and has surrounded himself with sycophants competing for his favor.

2) Initially, Trump (like any President) figured that if he really stepped over the line, Congress might impeach him, or his party might abandon him. He now knows that there is virtually nothing he could do that would cause them to do this.

3) Trump did try to do a number of things that tested the guardrails in his first term. He used foreign aid to try to extort campaign favors. He encouraged a mob of people to march on the Capitol, to overturn an election he lost. He took government documents as if they were his.

He has regretted none of these things, and the lessons he learned only reinforced his belief that he didn't act strongly enough. He says he will act on this, starting on Day One. His fans applaud this. Act II won't be like Act I.

And you can say "Oh, that can't happen, we have institutions." But the institutions can't work unless people make them work. Voters can't just elect malefactors and expect "institutions" to save them.

I've seen my own party corrupted from the inside out to serve the erratic narcissism of one man. Don't talk to me about institutions.

Quote:
Rachel Bitecofer 🗽💡🔭🦆 @RachelBitecofer

The fact that they failed the first is exactly why they created Project 2025. It wipes out all the guardrails that saved us from his first coup attempt.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:18 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
The NY Times is a complete joke and I encourage anyone who has a subscription to cancel it. They've completely destroyed their reputation as a legitimate news source.

In the last 2 weeks I cancelled the NYT, Washington Post and Boston Globe.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:47 am    Post subject:

But random internet dude sEz nEveR gOiNg tO hApPeN

Quote:
Biden’s Wins @BidensWins

BREAKING: In another stunning leak, Donald Trump’s potential VP pick, JD Vance, was caught thanking the leaders of Project 2025 for their work banning abortion and defunding Social Security and Medicare. Retweet so all Americans see this devastating clip.

link to video
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject:

Echoing underlying themes stated in Project 2025:

Quote:
Phil Williams @NC5PhilWilliams

Sen. Josh @HawleyMO: "Some will say now that I am calling America a Christian Nation. So I am. And some will say that I am advocating Christian Nationalism. And so I do."

link to video
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

I think we all see your passion on this subject and certainly as a mod you have much more power than the average poster. But at the end of the day, it's one opinion vs one opinion. Now. you certainly are providing more support to the Biden cause than most anybody here and the great thing about that is that by doing so, you can help recruit more potential voters to your cause.

I'm not doing anything like that, I have not donated 10 cents or any time/effort to Trump or anyone else. I am simply stating my opinion based on watching elections for the last 50 years, while not reading all the things you have deemed necessary to make an educated decision (no need to attack me for that).

So while it is nice, you have backed off attacking me (directly) and instead came up with a cool name to call me. I really look forward to discussing the state of the nation with you AFTER the election. And if I am wrong and the things I say "Will Never Happen" - do happen, I will be the first to stand up and say I was wrong. And I am hoping, that if you end up being wrong, then you will do the same!

Cheers
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

I think we all see your passion on this subject and certainly as a mod you have much more power than the average poster. But at the end of the day, it's one opinion vs one opinion. Now. you certainly are providing more support to the Biden cause than most anybody here and the great thing about that is that by doing so, you can help recruit more potential voters to your cause.

I'm not doing anything like that, I have not donated 10 cents or any time/effort to Trump or anyone else. I am simply stating my opinion based on watching elections for the last 50 years, while not reading all the things you have deemed necessary to make an educated decision (no need to attack me for that).

So while it is nice, you have backed off attacking me (directly) and instead came up with a cool name to call me. I really look forward to discussing the state of the nation with you AFTER the election. And if I am wrong and the things I say "Will Never Happen" - do happen, I will be the first to stand up and say I was wrong. And I am hoping, that if you end up being wrong, then you will do the same!

Cheers

I know this was not intended for anyone else, but the bolded part stood out to me. If those things do happen, no one is going to feel much better about an "I told you so" moment. Those things, if they do happen, mean we're all in very big trouble. A healthy discussion will be a thing of the past. It's a shame that people don't recognize what's at stake here.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject:

um, just exactly how would me saying i was wrong a "told ya so" moment?
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
um, just exactly how would me saying i was wrong a "told ya so" moment?

um, how are people supposed to react to you saying you were wrong? Do you think Chef or anyone here stressing the importance of what may transpire will get any relief out of saying, "unleasHell, I told you so."? The answer to that is no. If you're wrong, whether you cop to it or not, it means we're all effed. Your offer to eat crow is unsatisfying and it really belongs to an era that would have ended with the re-capitulation to Trump.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Molly Jong-Fast @MollyJongFast

People don’t like pundits telling them what to do. 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Quote:
Victoria Brownworth @VABVOX

Can confirm after interviewing 7 actual voters in Philly today. They are mad. And not at Biden.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Parker Butler @parkerpbutler

Project 2025 searches now surpassing Taylor Swift and NFL football

Link to graph charting June 9 to July 7 in U.S.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Biden's addressing NATO LEADERS. His voice is strong. He's not stumbling. I'll bet some will say he's using a teleprompter and use that as an excuse for him to step down although teleprompters are the norm.

Excellent speech.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Ammar Moussa @ammarmufasa

Donald Trump: I don't know who Project 2025 is.

Project 2025 is literally sponsoring the RNC convention.

Quote:
The Heritage Foundation, the D.C.-based think tank that produced Project 2025 — a series of policy plans to overhaul the federal government — is among the sponsors of the convention in Milwaukee next week.

Link to Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Parker Butler @parkerpbutler

Project 2025 searches now surpassing Taylor Swift and NFL football

Link to graph charting June 9 to July 7 in U.S.

Maybe educating voters about the ills of Project 2025 is starting to pay dividends.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject:

The reason I post all these Project 2025/GOP platform blurbs is to give everyone talking points to use with their uninformed relatives, neighbors, friends and co-workers.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 2:34 pm    Post subject:

There is a reason Trump denied involvement. They must know it's reaching more people by the day.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Just remember the red hat cult has plans for every American citizen if Project 2025 is initiated. I'm sure even the most ardent supporter of Project 2025 will eventually become its victim when you realize these dictatorships eventually feed on themselves.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Good. Make this conversation more about what Trump will do in a 2nd term, rather than a referendum on the past 8 years where Trump mysteriously gets a pass when people hated everything he did besides his handling of the economy in 2020.

Also, the more time that is passing, the more angrier I think I'll be at Biden if he loses this to Trump. I will also be pissed at Kamala, because if it's her electoral weakness that is keeping Biden staying, then she should willingly allow for another process. It would absolutely tornado her future chances as president, but none of that matters in the fact of stopping Trump from returning to the office.

This is feeling like an RBG 2014 moment all over again.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject:

All I know is I hope all Trumptards don't come out from the rocks they live under. All "them" uneducated rednecks of America.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Just remember the red hat cult has plans for every American citizen if Project 2025 is initiated. I'm sure even the most ardent supporter of Project 2025 will eventually become its victim when you realize these dictatorships eventually feed on themselves.

I once watched JFK's inaugural address, and what you said above reminded me of a quote from that address.

Quote:
those who foolishly sought power by riding the back of the tiger ended up inside.

It speaks to the love conservatives have of owning the libs and hurting poor people, black people, brown people, doctors, environmentalists, etc.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Biden and the Democrats are in a world of hurt right now. What a nightmare.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 8:49 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Good. Make this conversation more about what Trump will do in a 2nd term, rather than a referendum on the past 8 years where Trump mysteriously gets a pass when people hated everything he did besides his handling of the economy in 2020.

Also, the more time that is passing, the more angrier I think I'll be at Biden if he loses this to Trump. I will also be pissed at Kamala, because if it's her electoral weakness that is keeping Biden staying, then she should willingly allow for another process. It would absolutely tornado her future chances as president, but none of that matters in the fact of stopping Trump from returning to the office.

This is feeling like an RBG 2014 moment all over again.

The bolded seems to be coming from left field.

I've heard reasons like her race and her gender being mentioned as her electoral weaknesses. Putting aside, those things are out of her control. I'm not buying how a prosecutor who is a member of the Democratic party's most reliable demographic (AA women) has major weaknesses in an election against a felon opponent who led the effort of criminalizing women's reproductive rights.

I guess you could bring up the sexism that led to Hilary's loss in 2016. But the electorate is different 8 years later. And Hilary only lost the election by 40k votes in a handful of states.
Also, I don't see alot of Biden or bust people out there. That's why 70%+ of Democrats think Biden's too old to run for President but he is still somewhat close. With how polarized things are, alot of people would vote for a ham sandwich over Trump.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2024 9:40 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Biden and the Democrats are in a world of hurt right now. What a nightmare.

Because people keep letting the media drive the narrative that serves the media and no one else.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3744, 3745, 3746 ... 3775, 3776, 3777  Next
Page 3745 of 3777
Jump to: