The LEBRON JAMES Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2113, 2114, 2115, 2116  Next
 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jun 2015
Posts: 2625
Location: Croatia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject:

Cant wait the day when this guy will be gone form Lakers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2014
Posts: 8235

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I understand why FAs so far have decided to get bigger contracts than the Lakers can offer.

The one I do find puzzling though is Chris Paul. He is Lebron’s BFF and Bronny’s godfather. Yet he chooses to go to Spurs?

Hmmm…


Wouldn't want Paul.


Didn’t say I wanted him either.

Just that I am surprised that James did not convince him to sign.

I was expecting it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Knecht4
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2015
Posts: 8888

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:00 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I understand why FAs so far have decided to get bigger contracts than the Lakers can offer.

The one I do find puzzling though is Chris Paul. He is Lebron’s BFF and Bronny’s godfather. Yet he chooses to go to Spurs?

Hmmm…


Wouldn't want Paul.


Didn’t say I wanted him either.

Just that I am surprised that James did not convince him to sign.

I was expecting it.


Convince him to take 3 million here compared to 11 million he got? Lol.

This isn't a fantasy game where guys just give up millions because Lebron asks them to
_________________
Previously CamReddish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Jun 2009
Posts: 1204

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:01 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:


The one I do find puzzling though is Chris Paul. He is Lebron’s BFF and Bronny’s godfather. Yet he chooses to go to Spurs?

Hmmm…



We’re running a circus with Lebron as its ringleader and the Spurs are not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 23876

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I understand why FAs so far have decided to get bigger contracts than the Lakers can offer.

The one I do find puzzling though is Chris Paul. He is Lebron’s BFF and Bronny’s godfather. Yet he chooses to go to Spurs?

Hmmm…


Wouldn't want Paul.


Didn’t say I wanted him either.

Just that I am surprised that James did not convince him to sign.

I was expecting it.

It is $$$$, and I would be pissed if we offer 10 mil to CP3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Jan 2016
Posts: 3379

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:05 am    Post subject:

Triumph wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
Why do the pro Bron folks think the anti Bron folks like myself are implicitly team Rob/Jeanie?

I hate them all. The Lakers need a power enema. Clean these turds out. All of them. Bron, Klutch, Rich; Rob; Jeanie, Rambi. F all them fools. The only people who have shown any brains have been the younger Buss brothers from another mother. They have scouted and drafted very well over the last 10-15 years. Have they struck out? Of course, but on average they have been great.


I am on record as being "pro Bron" during his time here (he won us a title after all), but I was ready for the LeBron era to end as he is now 40 years old so a max contract extension was not what I wanted to see.

I never said people that don't appreciate what LeBron has done here are necessarily pro Jeanie and Rob. My argument is that if LeBron never came here, the evidence shows that Jeanie and Rob would not have gotten us title #17 and we would more likely be an early exit playoff team at best going by how we have drafted, general talent assessment, and roster construction.

I think people need to realize that just being the Lakers does not guarantee winning anymore and that has been obvious since Jerry West was pushed out by Jeanie and Phil. West was the one responsible (or at least laid the groundwork) for the dynasties we had in the 80's and 00's and why we think the Lakers are destined to win titles all the time.

But with West gone and the new CBA, people should not just count on titles coming our way simply because we are the Lakers.

I think many people hate LeBron and don't really care about the 2020 title because somehow they think we would have won without him in the same time frame simply because it's the Lakers, and that is straight up ludicrous to me.

But yeah, we are now in the downswing part of a short title window, which was what Jeanie and Rob signed up for when we got him in his 30's. He got us AD and a title, but now we are most likely done until he and AD leave and we go back to the lottery and hope to draft a Jokic, Curry/Klay, Tatum/Brown, Giannis, Doncic, or Wemby.

Most teams will never draft one of those guys and thus never win a title.


Fair point. My only contention is that Tatum/Brown aren't in the same tier as the rest of those guys. They aren't transcendent talents, but that's a moot point because the rest of the team is so well balanced and constructed that they cover for their weaknesses. The Celtics are the 03-04 Pistons of the modern era, and there's nothing wrong with constructing a team like that if everyone knows and understands their roles and limitations. Lakers as they are currently constructed are the antithesis of that team.

What matters is building a foundation, culture and system that attracts high profile players, stars and free agents. The Celtics did that and then some when Brad Stevens took the helm from Ainge. It takes a visionary to do what he did in terms of gaming the analytics, exploiting the 5-out system. Rob just isn't that guy. He's an agent who specializes in contracts and cap details. He's certainly not a basketball mind who knows how to construct teams that favor an analytics-based approach. You can't blame Lebron without blaming Rob. The two aren't mutually exclusive. They worked in tandem to destroy this team in 2021.
_________________
Yi Jianlian Fanboy. Respect The Chair.
Starting anew. I'm retiring my main.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 23876

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:06 am    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
I too can't wait for Lebron to retire so everyone can finally see how truly inept Rob and Jeanie are, and how much better things were with Lebron/Klutch "calling the shots."


Rob and Jeanie are incompetent at every level, but they weren't the ones who broke up a championship core for Westbrook.

You are right, but without lebron/klutch, we wouldn’t even have a championship. I am ready to move on from lebron, which is going to happen 1-2 year max, but more than that, we need a new ownership
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 985

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Two years is better than three. Unless after two, he asks Jeanie for another two years. It's reasonable to assume he'll have one good year, so at most you are trapped into one bad year ...


When is Bryce James eligible to be drafted?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 40040

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Two years is better than three. Unless after two, he asks Jeanie for another two years. It's reasonable to assume he'll have one good year, so at most you are trapped into one bad year ...


When is Bryce James eligible to be drafted?


Hopefully after Lebron leaves or retires
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 22132

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Two years is better than three. Unless after two, he asks Jeanie for another two years. It's reasonable to assume he'll have one good year, so at most you are trapped into one bad year ...


When is Bryce James eligible to be drafted?


If they get rid of one-and-done rule, he can be drafted in the 2026 NBA Draft. If not, 2027. He's not as athletic as Bronny but he is 4 inches taller and may still be growing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jul 2020
Posts: 5327

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject:

I get what you all are saying, and it's a perfectly reasonable fear that Bron would extend for Bryce, but I'm just trying to cope with the current situation and for me that is two years is better than the three I was positive he was taking.

If he is horrible in two years, you can sign him at a minimum, let him play with Bryce and then retire.

And if Bronny shows no sign of improvement by then, you have a built in excuse not to draft or sign Bryce.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 7636

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
I get what you all are saying, and it's a perfectly reasonable fear that Bron would extend for Bryce, but I'm just trying to cope with the current situation and for me that is two years is better than the three I was positive he was taking.

If he is horrible in two years, you can sign him at a minimum, let him play with Bryce and then retire.

And if Bronny shows no sign of improvement by then, you have a built in excuse not to draft or sign Bryce.


I’m glad Lebron did a 1+1 deal instead of 3yrs. It makes total sense with the cap set to rise next year.

Lakers will be in a better position and have more flexibility next season to make moves. They will have close to $30m in capspace with all the expirings and when Lebron opts out again on a new deal.


Last edited by miggz23 on Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 985

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject:

LeBron helped the Lakers win a championship. Thank you, LeBron. The Lakers paid him the max since he's been here, so it's not like he did this free. How long should the Lakers organization continue build their plans around him as a show of gratitude?

Shaq won more titles as a Laker, but he didn't get the retirement package. Kobe played his entire career here, so you can rationalize giving him the Laker retirement package.

The Lakers wouldn't be disrespecting his contributions if they decided to move on. Shaq looks back on his Laker days fondly. Paul Pierce and KG look back on their Celtics days the same way even though they were traded. I'm guessing that Klay is going to view the Warriors the same way even though he may not feel like it now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Aug 2008
Posts: 15253
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
LeBron helped the Lakers win a championship. Thank you, LeBron. The Lakers paid him the max since he's been here, so it's not like he did this free. How long should the Lakers organization continue build their plans around him as a show of gratitude?

Shaq won more titles as a Laker, but he didn't get the retirement package. Kobe played his entire career here, so you can rationalize giving him the Laker retirement package.

The Lakers wouldn't be disrespecting his contributions if they decided to move on. Shaq looks back on his Laker days fondly. Paul Pierce and KG look back on their Celtics days the same way even though they were traded. I'm guessing that Klay is going to view the Warriors the same way even though he may not feel like it now.



no doubt, but to late now...he's going to cash in
_________________
Lakers need to build a freaking team !
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 985

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
bluehill wrote:
LeBron helped the Lakers win a championship. Thank you, LeBron. The Lakers paid him the max since he's been here, so it's not like he did this free. How long should the Lakers organization continue build their plans around him as a show of gratitude?

Shaq won more titles as a Laker, but he didn't get the retirement package. Kobe played his entire career here, so you can rationalize giving him the Laker retirement package.

The Lakers wouldn't be disrespecting his contributions if they decided to move on. Shaq looks back on his Laker days fondly. Paul Pierce and KG look back on their Celtics days the same way even though they were traded. I'm guessing that Klay is going to view the Warriors the same way even though he may not feel like it now.



no doubt, but to late now...he's going to cash in


Yeah. If LeBron says I want the max and Jeanie and Rob say "ok," that's not LeBron's problem.

I will say to Rob's defense (at least so far) he's looking towards the post-LeBron era and holding to the young players and draft picks. Obviously this ungainly mashup of old expensive and young inexperienced players isn't ideal but
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 7636

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:04 pm    Post subject:

bluehill wrote:
deal wrote:
bluehill wrote:
LeBron helped the Lakers win a championship. Thank you, LeBron. The Lakers paid him the max since he's been here, so it's not like he did this free. How long should the Lakers organization continue build their plans around him as a show of gratitude?

Shaq won more titles as a Laker, but he didn't get the retirement package. Kobe played his entire career here, so you can rationalize giving him the Laker retirement package.

The Lakers wouldn't be disrespecting his contributions if they decided to move on. Shaq looks back on his Laker days fondly. Paul Pierce and KG look back on their Celtics days the same way even though they were traded. I'm guessing that Klay is going to view the Warriors the same way even though he may not feel like it now.



no doubt, but to late now...he's going to cash in


Yeah. If LeBron says I want the max and Jeanie and Rob say "ok," that's not LeBron's problem.

I will say to Rob's defense (at least so far) he's looking towards the post-LeBron era and holding to the young players and draft picks. Obviously this ungainly mashup of old expensive and young inexperienced players isn't ideal but


Rob is holding on those picks by a thread… Once a star or big names becomes available. Those picks are gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Sep 2002
Posts: 8531

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Knecht4 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I understand why FAs so far have decided to get bigger contracts than the Lakers can offer.

The one I do find puzzling though is Chris Paul. He is Lebron’s BFF and Bronny’s godfather. Yet he chooses to go to Spurs?

Hmmm…


Wouldn't want Paul.


Didn’t say I wanted him either.

Just that I am surprised that James did not convince him to sign.

I was expecting it.


Convince him to take 3 million here compared to 11 million he got? Lol.

This isn't a fantasy game where guys just give up millions because Lebron asks them to


LeBron wouldn't have taken the pay cut to bring CP3 here, to get his salary higher? Although maybe CP3 told him he didn't want him to do that. It might have felt like he was taking money from a friend.


Last edited by ducasse on Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 7636

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
Knecht4 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
I understand why FAs so far have decided to get bigger contracts than the Lakers can offer.

The one I do find puzzling though is Chris Paul. He is Lebron’s BFF and Bronny’s godfather. Yet he chooses to go to Spurs?

Hmmm…


Wouldn't want Paul.


Didn’t say I wanted him either.

Just that I am surprised that James did not convince him to sign.

I was expecting it.


Convince him to take 3 million here compared to 11 million he got? Lol.

This isn't a fantasy game where guys just give up millions because Lebron asks them to


LeBron wouldn't have taken the pay cut to bring CP3 here, to get his salary higher?


Even Lebron knows his buddy is over the hill.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 7636

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:49 pm    Post subject:

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/los_angeles_lakers/

It's showing Lebron will have player option again next off season. I think that will be huge for the Lakers. They can actually open up some capspace, if they want to actually go after certain players while keeping AR/Rui/Vando/MaxC/Knecht.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Posts: 22132

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 5:43 am    Post subject:

Did LeBron end up signing his contract at the full super max? Or did he make good on his offer to take a haircut to keep us under the second* apron?

Last edited by dont_be_a_wuss on Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 985

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I think LeBron is probably gone as soon as the NBA awards Vegas a new franchise.

He's talked about wanting to be an owner, and Vegas is obviously an attractive location for many reasons, not least of which because it has a lot of Laker fans that could follow LeBron to a new team.

Could be as early as 2026. Apparently Silver wants to wait until the new media rights deals are done before focusing on expansion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 18 Jan 2004
Posts: 15935

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2024 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
@ShamsCharania
LeBron James' final two-year deal total, per sources: $101.355 million – almost $3M less than his $104M max, placing Lakers below second apron.


Likely the final 2 years of this Lebron/AD era. Either AD opts out after Lebron retires or the Lakers trade him and start the rebuild.

Lakers stay under the 2nd apron. We will see if that means anything in terms of ability to improve the team.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 12713

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 3:20 am    Post subject:

Nobody is praising Lebron for his generosity and good gesture towards the Lakers by helping them stay below the second apron.
_________________
Los Angeles Lakers 2025 NBA Champions!! Go JJ!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 25744

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:50 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Nobody is praising Lebron for his generosity and good gesture towards the Lakers by helping them stay below the second apron.


I’d give him his flowers but that discount is to pay Bronny’s contract
_________________
“The main goal for the Lakers is to win a championship. All I care about, all we care about, is to raise another banner in the rafters.“
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 31 Jul 2018
Posts: 5011

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2024 7:02 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Nobody is praising Lebron for his generosity and good gesture towards the Lakers by helping them stay below the second apron.


We’re too pissed at continual incompetence of the FO to think about it, it should have been accomplished with a lower MaxC contract anyway.
_________________
“When it looks as if it is a realistic possibility, I want to focus on winning a ship like it’s a goal that can’t be denied. I didn’t see that this off season.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2113, 2114, 2115, 2116  Next
Page 2114 of 2116
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB