These Lakers remind me of the late '90s Lakers

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:06 pm    Post subject: These Lakers remind me of the late '90s Lakers

The late '90s Lakers, like this Lakers team, had the talent to at least be in the discussion for championship contention. They had Shaq in his physical prime, a green but emerging Kobe and other good players.

On any given night and even for long stretches, they could look like the best team in basketball. They even kicked the Bulls' asses once on national TV during Michael Jordan's final season in Chicago.

But they got swept in back-to-back years, which made the organization look clueless and impotent. Anytime an opponent like Utah or San Antonio put pressure on them, they folded like a bunch of heartless, gutless weaklings.

Sound familiar? That also describes this year's Lakers.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I wasn’t even frustrated in the late 90s with the young Kobe/shaq team because I knew they were going to win, they were young.
Lebron is 39… if he was 29, I really wouldn’t care if they lose this year, we can talk about the future all we want. On the other hand, if we have a 29 year old lebron, we couldn’t lose to Denver even if we tried
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: These Lakers remind me of the late '90s Lakers

slavavov wrote:
The late '90s Lakers, like this Lakers team, had the talent to at least be in the discussion for championship contention. They had Shaq in his physical prime, a green but emerging Kobe and other good players.

On any given night and even for long stretches, they could look like the best team in basketball. They even kicked the Bulls' asses once on national TV during Michael Jordan's final season in Chicago.

But they got swept in back-to-back years, which made the organization look clueless and impotent. Anytime an opponent like Utah or San Antonio put pressure on them, they folded like a bunch of heartless, gutless weaklings.

Eventually, they got rid of the coach and brought in Phil Jackson.

too bad, this will not happen with this team.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:05 am    Post subject:

This is the worst version of the lakers I have seen in 30 years. No hope to win now and no hope for the future.

This team is the definition of luke warm. Mid.

Lebron/AD combination has never dominated the NBA and I’m convinced that without Covid we wouldn’t have even one championship. That rest gave old man Bron a second wind. Plus, Im convinced AD could only shoot during the bubble because there was nobody in the stands.

This team is trash and it isn’t the players surrounding AD/Bron the problem is AD/Bron. The coach sucks too.

I blame Jeanie buss. Ever since she took over it’s been a clown show.

I expect it will continue to be until she gives up control

lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:10 am    Post subject:

I wish we had a young Shaq and Kobe
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:30 am    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
This is the worst version of the lakers I have seen in 30 years. No hope to win now and no hope for the future.

Lebron/AD combination has never dominated the NBA and I’m convinced that without Covid we wouldn’t have even one championship. That rest gave old man Bron a second wind. Plus, Im convinced AD could only shoot during the bubble because there was nobody in the stands.

This team is trash and it isn’t the players surrounding AD/Bron the problem is AD/Bron. The coach sucks too.

AD was 14/19 yesterday from the field lol
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:01 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Crazy how he disappears offensively late. I’m not putting all blame on him because he needs guys to get him ball, but he certainly doesn’t demand the ball or fight for position like he does early. Not hating.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:06 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
I wish we had a young Shaq and Kobe

Not only one of the best dynasties of all time, but they win an additional 1-2 rings if the FO doesn't completely disregard the scouting and drafting process, which led to the depth issues everyone complained about. That's why the Spurs ran circles around us in 03.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: These Lakers remind me of the late '90s Lakers

laker4life wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Eventually, they got rid of the coach and brought in Phil Jackson.

too bad, this will not happen with this team.

Yes I remember this. I was frustrated how the pick and roll of Utah between Stockton and Malone would just kill the Lakers.

They were swept, but from what I remember those games weren't close unlike this series.

But than Phil came and than the pick and roll of Utah wasn't a problem nor the big 2 of the Spurs.

You just can't build a good roster and not pair it with a good coach. That is the lesson here.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:12 am    Post subject:

a good comparison for this Laker team is

what do you drive? i drive a Benz, a 1990 S500.

how to promo the current Laker team? we have LeBron James, a 50 year old LeBron James.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject:

we are similar to the 2000-2002 spurs, they felt they could beat anyone in the league, but just can't beat the lakers.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
we are similar to the 2000-2002 spurs, they felt they could beat anyone in the league, but just can't beat the lakers.

Current Lakers aren't nearly as good
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

Those Spurs teams are a dynasty if Lakers don't exist. Come to think of it, there were quite a few powerhouse teams that the Lakers dismantled, but those Spurs teams always withstood the test of time, primarily due to good scouting and drafting. Wild how they ended up with Wemby. They know how to play the tank game.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Snipes wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

Crazy how he disappears offensively late. I’m not putting all blame on him because he needs guys to get him ball, but he certainly doesn’t demand the ball or fight for position like he does early. Not hating.

He had a good shooting night, but let’s not act like that’s the norm lately. He was lights out during that bubble run which made his two man game with lebron unstoppable. It’s not as effective anymore.

miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

Those Spurs teams are a dynasty if Lakers don't exist. Come to think of it, there were quite a few powerhouse teams that the Lakers dismantled, but those Spurs teams always withstood the test of time, primarily due to good scouting and drafting. Wild how they ended up with Wemby. They know how to play the tank game.

It only took the Spurs 6 years to find such talent... But verdict still out and Spurs still seems pretty bad this season with no improvement on the standings.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:34 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Snipes wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:

He had a good shooting night, but let’s not act like that’s the norm lately. He was lights out during that bubble run which made his two man game with lebron unstoppable. It’s not as effective anymore.

Difference from the bubble was his outside and mid range shot... It seems he no longer trust that shot anymore.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

It only took the Spurs 6 years to find such talent... But verdict still out and Spurs still seems pretty bad this season with no improvement on the standings.

All things considered, their big 3 + Kawhi kept them relevant for nearly 2 decades. The fallout with Kawhi was the primary reason they lost relevance after 2018. I do give them credit for finding a diamond in the rough in Dejounte. Everything that followed was sort of anticipated and expected, since very few franchises can recover properly after TD+Manu+Parker+Kawhi. Kind of similar to what the Lakers went through after Kobe, except incompetence and failure to adjust to the modern game led to the sacking of Mitch and Jim.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: