View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:
https://imgur.com/gallery/AwoPkPU

Do they show it at the top of the hill after it used up its battery pulling that stunt?

300 miles for base model
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:

Do they show it at the top of the hill after it used up its battery pulling that stunt?

300 miles for base model

Something tells me that that rating is not while carrying a full load, so if you need a truck that never needs to haul anything it will be great.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:

300 miles for base model

Something tells me that that rating is not while carrying a full load, so if you need a truck that never needs to haul anything it will be great.

For sure, I think this is made for city folks who don’t need a pick up truck but want one
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

I saw this weekend that an adult can walk on the body and it will not dent....that seems pretty cool. Not sure why....maybe car surfing Teen Wolf style. Also saw they had a version for camping, but it reminded me of that ugly Pontiac they came out with about 20 years ago with a Tent extension.....but the built in electric grill would be great for tailgating.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

200k preorders so far. Caveat being that it’s a cheap 100 bucks to reserve, fully refundable, so there are going to be a lot of dropped orders. I still don’t like the profile, but from other angles it looks decent. I’ve also seen some mockups that show how it can look with some wraps, and I’m coming around. Still way too big a car for my preference, so I’m hoping the tech makes it way into the smaller lineup so I can get one of those to replace my 3 in a few years instead.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:

300 miles for base model

For sure, I think this is made for city folks who don’t need a pick up truck but want one

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/26/cars/ford-tesla-cybertruck-challenge/index.html

When Elon Musk unveiled Tesla's much anticipated Cybertruck Thursday, he showed a video of the all-electric truck winning a tug-of-war against a Ford F-150 in spectacular fashion. As Ford's bestselling pickup was dragged backwards, its wheels spinning, Musk pointed out that the Cybertruck was pulling the Ford uphill.

Musk tweeted out that same video Monday and a Ford executive responded by challenging Tesla to a real "apples to apples" truck test. Elon Musk, in turn, responded "bring it on."
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:

300 miles for base model

When Elon Musk unveiled Tesla's much anticipated Cybertruck Thursday, he showed a video of the all-electric truck winning a tug-of-war against a Ford F-150 in spectacular fashion. As Ford's bestselling pickup was dragged backwards, its wheels spinning, Musk pointed out that the Cybertruck was pulling the Ford uphill.

Musk tweeted out that same video Monday and a Ford executive responded by challenging Tesla to a real "apples to apples" truck test. Elon Musk, in turn, responded "bring it on."

He's going to lose that one in spectacular fashion. I have a friend who uses his model x to tow his boat. Battery drains about 30% faster when he does, and that's just for a normal size speedboat, so a total payload of only about 4000 pounds including the trailer.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:
governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:

300 miles for base model

He's going to lose that one in spectacular fashion. I have a friend who uses his model x to tow his boat. Battery drains about 30% faster when he does, and that's just for a normal size speedboat, so a total payload of only about 4000 pounds including the trailer.

The 69k version has a range of 500 miles so 70% of that would still be able to tow the boat 350 miles.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:
governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:

300 miles for base model

The 69k version has a range of 500 miles so 70% of that would still be able to tow the boat 350 miles.

Two problems with that.

First, 4000 pounds isn't really all that much, especially when they towing capacity is around 14,000 along with a 3500 flat bed capacity. Put it closer to its limit and that 350 is going to drop even further, and really fast.

Second, a top of the line F150 is about 25k less than the top line Tesla. Apples to apples for the top line tesla would be a HD F250 which is going to destroy it. Apples to apples for the F150 would be the low end tesla.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject:

The F150 wasn't even 4WD.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
nickuku wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:
governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:

300 miles for base model

Two problems with that.

First, 4000 pounds isn't really all that much, especially when they towing capacity is around 14,000 along with a 3500 flat bed capacity. Put it closer to its limit and that 350 is going to drop even further, and really fast.

Second, a top of the line F150 is about 25k less than the top line Tesla. Apples to apples for the top line tesla would be a HD F250 which is going to destroy it. Apples to apples for the F150 would be the low end tesla.

Top of the line f150 is over 60k and i didn't check all the options yet not to mention the cost of gas vs electricity. We also haven't seen the official testing in any capacity. Its still 2 years away from production. I have to think there are improvements that are going to be made to the design and efficiency.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject:

I’m with Mike and Hector.

Plus Ford might even mean this when they say Apples to

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

The Ford VP who tweeted the challenge to Musk might have meant to use the EV version of the 150, but when Musk accepted the challenge Ford itself was quick to shut it down by saying it was just a joke. I think Musk would have been happy if the EV 150 competed with the CyberTruck, win or lose, since it would be free marketing as to the power and torque available to well designed EVs. Ford probably doesn’t want to hurt the image of their ICE trucks by doing any sort of public challenge.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
22 wrote:

The Ford VP who tweeted the challenge to Musk might have meant to use the EV version of the 150, but when Musk accepted the challenge Ford itself was quick to shut it down by saying it was just a joke. I think Musk would have been happy if the EV 150 competed with the CyberTruck, win or lose, since it would be free marketing as to the power and torque available to well designed EVs. Ford probably doesn’t want to hurt the image of their ICE trucks by doing any sort of public challenge.

Ford traditionally doesn’t engage in pissing contests. They’re one of the only companies to not post “official” Nurburgring times. For various reasons.

Any test between cybertruck and any form of the F-150 probably should be taken with a fat grain of salt until an independent unbiased party can conduct the test
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Short of a new humvee, it would be hard to find a more douchey truck than the Tesla.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
governator wrote:

300 miles for base model

Detroit gasoline trucks can't do 300 miles while carrying a full load either.

Ford punked out of a tug war like little (bleep).

Last edited by DeeAgeaux on Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Short of a new humvee, it would be hard to find a more douchey truck than the Tesla.

Anything from Detroit.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Two problems with that.

A $40k single motor cybertruck will (bleep) slap any $40k dual cab F150.

A $50k dual motor cybertruck will (bleep) slap any $50k dual cab F250

A $70k triple motor cybertruck will (bleep) slap any $70k dual cab F450
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Anything from Detroit.

Not even close
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Didn't Neil deGrasse Tyson explain why the Tesla was able to pull the F150?

Quote:
Tyson replied to Musk's video on Twitter, using physics to debate the Tesla truck's feat. He argued that the stunt might not have actually demonstrated the truck's engine power.

"A badass @Tesla looking like it's doing a badass thing," Tyson tweeted. "But if the @Ford F-150 is RWD **with no payload** then weight on the Rear Axle is greatly reduced, offering only mild traction for the Tesla to overcome. This contest is more about the Physics of Friction than Engine Power."

"Electric vehicles are famously heavy — over both axles," Tyson said in an earlier tweet. "It's all about the weight borne by spinning tires. That's the source of traction, not the engine power."
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Quote:
Tyson replied to Musk's video on Twitter, using physics to debate the Tesla truck's feat. He argued that the stunt might not have actually demonstrated the truck's engine power.

"A badass @Tesla looking like it's doing a badass thing," Tyson tweeted. "But if the @Ford F-150 is RWD **with no payload** then weight on the Rear Axle is greatly reduced, offering only mild traction for the Tesla to overcome. This contest is more about the Physics of Friction than Engine Power."

"Electric vehicles are famously heavy — over both axles," Tyson said in an earlier tweet. "It's all about the weight borne by spinning tires. That's the source of traction, not the engine power."

The “test” was a farce for many reasons and Elon knows this. It’ll fool lots of people so they’re marketing team is doing their job so to speak. However that hasn’t stopped the share prices from dropping from the last report I saw. And despite them “selling out” of $100 fully refundable deposits I have serious doubt about this being anything other than a novelty vehicle.

It’s sad because there’s some GREAT concept art out there from independent artists on what this truck could have been
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject:

To me these look a lot better:

https://twitter.com/chwylde/status/1198838773192122369?s=21

https://twitter.com/nihilistichris/status/1197885585903489026?s=21
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
To me these look a lot better:

https://twitter.com/chwylde/status/1198838773192122369?s=21

https://twitter.com/nihilistichris/status/1197885585903489026?s=21

Yeah the concept mockups are light years better.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Quote:

The “test” was a farce for many reasons and Elon knows this. It’ll fool lots of people so they’re marketing team is doing their job so to speak. However that hasn’t stopped the share prices from dropping from the last report I saw. And despite them “selling out” of $100 fully refundable deposits I have serious doubt about this being anything other than a novelty vehicle.

It’s sad because there’s some GREAT concept art out there from independent artists on what this truck could have been

It looks the way it does because the form follows its function. If it looked more traditional, it would need more traditional manufacturing techniques. Because it’s flat and angled and triangular, it can be made from one sheet of stainless steel. The triangular shape provides strength and rigidity with its unibody and lets it hold and tow more. Instead of using stamping machines, which are expensive and easily fall out of tolerance and thus need a ton of maintenance, they can score the sheet according to the design and literally use machines to fold the sheet into the shape of the truck. This apparently saves a ton of money manufacturing and can be more easily automated. The flat glass is also easier to make and install than curved glass, and is also cheaper. And because it’s cold rolled stainless steel and apparently doesn’t need paint, they save even more money on that.

After listening to a couple of truck guys talking about the design online, I understand why they went in this direction. It wasn’t Elon envisioning some future truck and forcing them to design this, it was them figuring out how to make this as easily and cheaply as possible while offering several advantages and this was the result. One of the truck guys who has been in the car industry for decades said that this is something Detroit car companies have discussed and dreamed about for decades because of the advantages listed above. They just haven’t because they were afraid of exactly the reaction a lot of people had first seeing it. If Tesla made it more traditional, it would be much more expensive. Probably more in line with the Rivian. Instead it’s much more affordable, even in the top trim. If this flops, then Tesla can make a more traditional pickup truck in the future for more money since the 3 and Y should be carrying the day. The pickup flopping doesn’t hurt Tesla, it’s only if the Y flops (the 3 is already damn successful) that they might be in some trouble.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject:

The share price has little to do with the truck reveal, btw. Tesla stock is just pretty volatile. I’ve been invested in it long enough and been lucky enough to make enough money on it to know that. The Y is far more important since it’s the CUV that is the most popular car body type in the world. Tesla is anticipating that to be even more popular than the 3.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: