View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
It looks like it’s geared towards city people who doesn’t need a pick up truck but wants a pick up truck

I’m a city person and I’m not sure anyone I know would drive that thing. I’d say the target audience is more geared toward ostentatious attention seekers who are impervious to eye rolls.

I've never been a truck person myself and I don't drive cars for attention. I think its a unique look that I know many people don't have a taste for but I'm not buying it for anyone else's sake except my own. Sure hate on it for looking like a prop from Mad Max but I don't think its fair to generalize everyone that gets one as an attention whore. At end of the day its a clean alternative to ICE trucks and that should be applauded.

I appreciate that you like it, but even if you’re not buying one for attention (which is a tough sell) at the very least you have to be ok with getting an awful lot of it (and mostly of the eye roll variety). Regular old Teslas turn heads and they look like cars. It’s difficult to imagine doing any daily routine in that thing, but if you’re happy with it more power to you.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject:

After debating it in my head, I put down a preorder for one. I’ll see if they offer a more traditional look or not, but appearance hasn’t ever been one of my main reasons for buying a car. The stats as stated are pretty damn good for the price, so I’ll stake a place in line to give myself the option if I want to take it. It’s only a refundable 100 dollars to do it. I’ll be really interested to see what the actual follow through will be on the preorders. For such a low deposit, I’d imagine they got a ton of preorders that have a fairly high chance of falling through, unlike the reservations they had for the S, X, 3, and Roadster IIs. I’m currently about 75% sure I’ll probably cancel (mainly because I’ve never been a pickup guy and the truck looks way bigger than even the Pilot I drove back in the day), but the range in the tri-motor and the size of the cabin are very tempting.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

I don’t know what sorcery they’ve done to project such a reasonable cost for 500+ miles of range for a huge and presumably heavy vehicle, but if they can actually deliver that bodes very well for the battery research they’ve been doing. If they can get that tech in to their smaller car lines, that would be incredible. It’s projected as three years out, though, and counting Elon time most likely 5 years out, so a lot of time to wait and see if they can do it.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
nickuku wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:
It looks like it’s geared towards city people who doesn’t need a pick up truck but wants a pick up truck

I’m a city person and I’m not sure anyone I know would drive that thing. I’d say the target audience is more geared toward ostentatious attention seekers who are impervious to eye rolls.

I've never been a truck person myself and I don't drive cars for attention. I think its a unique look that I know many people don't have a taste for but I'm not buying it for anyone else's sake except my own. Sure hate on it for looking like a prop from Mad Max but I don't think its fair to generalize everyone that gets one as an attention whore. At end of the day its a clean alternative to ICE trucks and that should be applauded.

I appreciate that you like it, but even if you’re not buying one for attention (which is a tough sell) at the very least you have to be ok with getting an awful lot of it (and mostly of the eye roll variety). Regular old Teslas turn heads and they look like cars. It’s difficult to imagine doing any daily routine in that thing, but if you’re happy with it more power to you.

I consider myself a "car guy", but perhaps an unusual one. I've always been passionate about cars and technology. I like quirky. For me, this hits 11 on the quirky scale and seems like I could have endless fun with it. Faster than a new Porsche? Check. Off road capable for hundreds of miles? Check. Built with stainless steal that is essentially bullet proof? Check. Approaching this in a parking lot with a smile on my face while saying, "I can't believe this is my car." Check. It's not about attention, not for me anyway, it's about fun.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
ocho wrote:
nickuku wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:

I consider myself a "car guy", but perhaps an unusual one. I've always been passionate about cars and technology. I like quirky. For me, this hits 11 on the quirky scale and seems like I could have endless fun with it. Faster than a new Porsche? Check. Off road capable for hundreds of miles? Check. Built with stainless steal that is essentially bullet proof? Check. Approaching this in a parking lot with a smile on my face while saying, "I can't believe this is my car." Check. It's not about attention, not for me anyway, it's about fun.

Planning on doing a lot of off roading while getting shot at in that thing?

I truly, genuinely, hope you enjoy it and believe you will. I just call shenanigans that anybody driving that thing isn’t looking for attention whether it’s consciously or unconsciously. That’s part of the appeal, otherwise it wouldn’t look like that.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
ocho wrote:
nickuku wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:

I truly, genuinely, hope you enjoy it and believe you will. I just call shenanigans that anybody driving that thing isn’t looking for attention whether it’s consciously or unconsciously. That’s part of the appeal, otherwise it wouldn’t look like that.

Haven't you seen Blade Runner? In 2019 all cars look like that. This is just another boring truck.
https://www.imcdb.org/v012087.html
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
ocho wrote:
Surfitall wrote:
ocho wrote:
nickuku wrote:
ocho wrote:
governator wrote:

Haven't you seen Blade Runner? In 2019 all cars look like that. This is just another boring truck.
https://www.imcdb.org/v012087.html

I have, unfortunately, seen Blade Runner.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Everything else looks like a granny truck now. Old exteriors, old interiors. Great for grandpa as he's hauling wood around the ranch. Nothing wrong with grandpa's truck if old fashioned is your thing.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/11/tesla-cybertruck-vs-detroits-traditional-trucks-were-in-the-age-of-robocop-villains/
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Everything else looks like a granny truck now. Old exteriors, old interiors. Great for grandpa as he's hauling wood around the ranch. Nothing wrong with grandpa's truck if old fashioned is your thing.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/11/tesla-cybertruck-vs-detroits-traditional-trucks-were-in-the-age-of-robocop-villains/

The reality thing is, the Cybertruck is a 40 year old design. It is a DeLorean redesigned from a 4 year old's crayon sketch.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

The reality thing is, the Cybertruck is a 40 year old design. It is a DeLorean redesigned from a 4 year old's crayon sketch.

That's the perfect comparison and was why I b4rought up the 80s sci fi flick. It's cheesy AF. I get being modern but that's just hokey at the very best. The designer and who approved it should be fired.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

That's the perfect comparison and was why I b4rought up the 80s sci fi flick. It's cheesy AF. I get being modern but that's just hokey at the very best. The designer and who approved it should be fired.

It's hokey, and worse than that . . . it's lazy as (bleep).

The other (and closer) comparison is the F-117A stealth fighter and even that design is 3 decades old.

The bottom-line is there is nothing interesting nor innovative about that design. It's just comical on all levels.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Here’s to the crazy ones.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P9jY3mPy7cs
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Whats funny is that design will probably not make it to the final stage. Those tiny strips that they call headlights and tailights won't be legal for US roads, so you will get your standard headlight and tailight package.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject:

How Tesla’s Cybertruck turns auto manufacturing and engineering upside-down.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-engineering-manufacturing

“The plusses for a folded stainless steel, origami truck are compelling: no paint shop and no expensive tooling. No Godzilla-scale stamping machines stomping it with multiple strikes. Without all that, the capital and environmental costs of using stainless steel body panels are small. And big attractions for a company that's sensitive to both types of green—cash and environmentalism. Just groove the steel where it's supposed to fold (avoiding cracks) and bend it on simple, cheap machines.”

And, “If the Cybertruck is a shock to the eyes, it's a jump-start to reimagining the foundational assumptions about vehicle appearance, engineering, and manufacturing. Remember Elon Musk's plans to leapfrog car assembly with a high-speed, robotic, alien dreadnaught "machine-that-builds-the-machine" that would fire-hose Model 3s out its tailpipe? He had to sheepishly remove some of the robots and conveyor belts to speed things up. Now, the "machines-that-will-build" the Cybertruck will go dramatically skinnier, scaling the dreadnaught down to simple dinghies that groove and bend (with the $200 million paint shop getting an auditor's line drawn through it). Real progress is assembled from the debris of failures.”
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Whats funny is that design will probably not make it to the final stage. Those tiny strips that they call headlights and tailights won't be legal for US roads, so you will get your standard headlight and tailight package.

Also not seeing any side mirrors.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

Tesla already fell more than 6% from an article I saw
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject:

cool, we're letting 10 year-olds design luxury cars in minecraft now
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject:

Tesla has restored the bold tradition of dream machines:

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-cybertruck-is-a-halo-vehicle-that-resets-teslas-story-2019-11
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

“You May hate Elon Musk, but the Cybertruck is good”

https://www.inverse.com/article/61153-elon-musk-is-bad-but-the-cybertruck-is-good

“Here’s the unspoken reality that the Cybertruck is crashing into: most cars are actually quite ugly. There aren’t a slew of vehicles that look legitimately good or smart or are thoughtfully designed. They have been produced in volumes too large to count, in varying configurations that are mostly similar. Cars are almost universally unattractive, unoriginal, and aesthetically uninteresting. It is in large part their sameness and repetition of old ideas that makes them ugly. Very few chances are taken. Very few brazen designs are asserted.”

“It’s easy to laugh at something you don’t understand. It feels good to mock things that look strange or alien to you. Armchair design critics all over Twitter are getting their shots in right now, but they’re missing the point. The Cybertruck is trying where few if any have ever tried, and like the original Tesla — which no doubt some of these same critics would have been quick to take a shot at — it’s the very audaciousness of the idea that could actually make it work.”
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject:

The Cybertruck, evidently, does not have a break pedal.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject:

19' so about a Tundra length... I bet we gonna see a bunch of these in NYC just like the Hummer before
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
The Cybertruck, evidently, does not have a break pedal.

All Tesla’s currently can do “single pedal driving”. In the latest software update, they enabled the regenerative braking from 0-5 miles per hour, which means you almost never need to touch the actual brake pedal. (But you do need a brake pedal for emergency situations. Their regenerative braking is good...but it’s not that good.) Basically, it means I’ll probably never need to replace the brakes on my car unless I keep it a real long time.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject:

https://imgur.com/gallery/AwoPkPU
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:54 am    Post subject:

When DeLorean makes an El Camino you get.... An old 70s design.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
https://imgur.com/gallery/AwoPkPU

Do they show it at the top of the hill after it used up its battery pulling that stunt?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8
Jump to: