used car purchase help
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: used car purchase help

I'm shopping for a starter car for my 17 year-old niece who starts college in a couple of a weeks, it's her bday gift

I'm looking at certified sedans with ~30k miles. My max price is $14k

I found a 2014 sonata with about 30k for $11.5k and a 10 year warranty. This is at the top of my list for that price point, but this my first time buying a used car so I don't know much, and also am a novice at automotive knowledge in general.

I see similarly priced 2014, 2015 civics and corollas all over socal. Reliability reports + traditional reputation makes me want to lean Toyota/Honda, but the 10 year warranty and larger size/dollar is attractive.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Lease an electric car. If that doesn't work, lease a Kia Optima.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: used car purchase help

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
I'm shopping for a starter car for my 17 year-old niece who starts college in a couple of a weeks, it's her bday gift

I found a 2014 sonata with about 30k for $11.5k and a 10 year warranty. This is at the top of my list for that price point, but this my first time buying a used car so I don't know much, and also am a novice at automotive knowledge in general.

I see similarly priced 2014, 2015 civics and corollas all over socal. Reliability reports + traditional reputation makes me want to lean Toyota/Honda, but the 10 year warranty and larger size/dollar is attractive.

a 10 year warranty? How can you go wrong with that kind of warranty? I think Hyundai has earned a solid reputation for being reliable over the last decade. I doubt you would regret choosing the Sonata....looks pretty good, low mileage, and protection in case anything goes wrong for the entire time she will be in college. Seems like it checks all the boxes for someone in her situation. Either way, great gift......sure she will be extremely happy!
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Korea may become a giant crater soon. Not sure about this investment

http://www.carsurvey.org
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
Lease an electric car. If that doesn't work, lease a Kia Optima.

I have a Volt, and love electric cars but the range anxiety with EV only cars outside of Tesla and Bolt is a huge concern for me.

I want to trade in my Volt for another electric car, but I'm going to wait until there is another series hybrid or EV only option with at least 200 mi of range. I also want to see if they will extend car pool access beyond 2019 for EVs.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: used car purchase help

Anyone's first car should be something that can absorb a new drivers inevitable dings, scrapes and (hopefully) minor crashes.

I suggest buying a Honda Accord, at least ten years old. As long as it has good safety equipment like front and side airbags and ABS, you should be good to go.

Let your niece grow into and aspire to a nicer car.

When my daughter is old enough, I am going to teach her on and buy her a manual transmission car so she doesn't feel compelled to talk or text while driving.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Get her a 2015 Toyota Prius. Good on gas, insurance, reliable and overall boring. Perfect for a teenager heading to college.

FYI. The cops don't look for priuses even if one is speeding
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject:

...and....paging Mike....
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject:

I'd look to buy a 3-year old lease return from Toyota, Honda, Kia, and Hyundai,

Should be fine for what your needs and price range..
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject:

Whatever you get make sure it's got a clean Carfax.
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject:

Just get a Toyota for like $2500 and avoid all that dealership nonsense.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:46 pm    Post subject:

So I've had an eventful week shopping. Went out and test drove a 2014 civic, 2014 corolla, 2015 sonata, all with 35-40k. Two were rental cars and one had damage and weird gaps on the carfax. I was going to close on the civic last night but couldn't get to the dealership on time.

I got an e-mail from a local dealer this morning about a rebate that puts a brand new 2017 sonata at just under $16k which is only 4k more than my original budget. I've been looking into it and am going to pull the trigger tomorrow...should i, should I not? Help! Thanks!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject:

So I've had an eventful week shopping. Went out and test drove a 2014 civic, 2014 corolla, 2015 sonata, all with 35-40k. Two were rental cars and one had damage and weird gaps on the carfax. I was going to close on the civic last night but couldn't get to the dealership on time.

I got an e-mail from a local dealer this morning about a rebate that puts a brand new 2017 sonata at just under $16k which is only 4k more than my original budget. I've been looking into it and am going to pull the trigger tomorrow...should i, should I not? Help! Thanks!

Sticker on that is like low $20K I think. Sounds like a good deal and I've heard good things about Hyundai.
pmacla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject:

I have had a Hyundai car for the past 6 years and never have had a problem with them they are well built cars and they stand by their product
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: used car purchase help

adkindo wrote:

a 10 year warranty? How can you go wrong with that kind of warranty? I think Hyundai has earned a solid reputation for being reliable over the last decade. I doubt you would regret choosing the Sonata....looks pretty good, low mileage, and protection in case anything goes wrong for the entire time she will be in college. Seems like it checks all the boxes for someone in her situation. Either way, great gift......sure she will be extremely happy!

That's a great warranty. I would go with 2014 Hyundai and save the extra 4.5 K compared to the 2017. It's nice, she only 17 and she is going to have no clue what to do when something goes wrong the warranty will take care of her.

But both options are great so no big deal either way
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject:

$20k is too much for a car.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Your initial inclination toward Honda and Toyota is pretty spot on, however, consider that a Honda with 60-80k miles is basically equivalent to any other model/make you can buy at 30k miles in a lower price range and will likely last much longer.

I bought a Hayundai in 2014. It's a 2009 Santa Fe. I wanted a (bleep) car to haul around tools, junk and what not, it's a small SUV. It had 60k miles on it and was able to buy it in great condition for about 7k from a private seller. It's now got close to 150k miles and still drives great. It's become my daily driver because it's great on gas and keeps all the annoying women from hitting on me.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:

Stupid me, I paid nearly $30k for a 3 year old used car...
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
It's become my daily driver because it's great on gas and keeps all the annoying women from hitting on me.

annoying women? how do drunk racists like it?

(sorry .... LOL!)
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:

Not for everyone.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject:

great gift!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject:

Just an fyi. Think about how you treat a rental car, and then don't buy one.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: used car purchase help

it's her bday gift

Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject:

A brand new car for a 17 year old . . . Maybe buy that for yourself and give her your old car.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject:

Did you end up buying the sonata 2017?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: