The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
You’d think with a decade plus of CGI advancement, the Avatar trailer wouldn’t look like a cheesy video game.

It's going to look gorgeous and blow your mind in a theater. Give it a chance, DMR.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
You’d think with a decade plus of CGI advancement, the Avatar trailer wouldn’t look like a cheesy video game.

It's going to look gorgeous and blow your mind in a theater. Give it a chance, DMR.

I saw it IMAX last night and it was really a great experience. The only problem for me is that I hate “Auto Motion Plus” type features that TVs have these days, and turn them off religiously on any Tv I watch. Avatar seems to have some kind of digital smoothing like auto motion, so if you are a person who also turns it off all the time, it’s going to throw your eyes off a bit until you adjust.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:41 pm    Post subject:

Just finished watching Batman Forever. I first saw this movie back in 95 at the theaters and thought it was lame so I never saw it again.

That is until today. I was browsing through YouTube for Offspring songs when I came across their version of the song Smash It Up by The Damed. It happened to be one of the song on Batman Forever sound track. So I looked up the move and watched it. LOL

I forgot that it was a movie with an all star cast.

Val Kilmer
Jim Carey
Tommy Lee Jones
Nicole Kidman
Chris O'Donell
Drew Barrymore

Even Jon Favreau came out briefly

The movie is still bad but I was more entertained than I was back in 95.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Avatar 2… still excellent, great cinematography but I’d prob rather spend 3+ hours on my couch, able to pause and be more comfortable, it was long. Still recommended tho, great work. Like the switch from Native Americans
To Māori
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Avatar 2… still excellent, great cinematography but I’d prob rather spend 3+ hours on my couch, able to pause and be more comfortable, it was long. Still recommended tho, great work. Like the switch from Native Americans
To Māori
It's in my Eminence queue. It's still like a bootleg with poor sound and picture quality. That will clear up and Dolby and 4k will kick in soon. I have a great surround sound system and a big screen. I'll wait.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
To Māori

It was OK to me. I got bored with about an 1hr+ left as did my 12yr old. It is certainly beautiful but like you I wish I had pausing capabilities.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Over 3 hours of gimmicky special effects and schlocky story? No thanks. I value my time more than that.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
In answer to BVH's funniest movies of the decade:

The Wolf of Wall Street
Grand Budapest Hotel
21 and 22 Jump Street
This Is The End
Horrible Bosses
Long Shot
Booksmart
Ted

Edit: forgot about Seven Pyschopaths. Sam Rockwell always cracks me up.

for me..

Everybody Wants Some!!
The Nice Guys
Sorry to Bother You
Parasite
The World's End
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
I, Tonya
Jojo Rabbit
Thor Ragnarok
Brothers Grimsby

I still need to see Everybody Wants Some!!

It wasn't no Dazed And Confused storywise, but it was far superior in evoking the set year of 1981 than Dazed was for 1976 (featuring some kids w/ 1993 hairstyles). Linklater was blatantly 21 in 81. It was a white bros who liked Van Halen collage, but he was probably waxing nostalgic on a personal level and the behaviors were authentic for the timeframe. It didn't rely on recognizable props like most 80s period pieces do. The extended scene of the kids all doing competitive and/or physical stuff, mostly outside, prob couldn't have been portrayed better if anyone else were to have given it a shot. After awhile, that scene seemed otherworldly even from a mid-late 90s perspective.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
In answer to BVH's funniest movies of the decade:

The Wolf of Wall Street
Grand Budapest Hotel
21 and 22 Jump Street
This Is The End
Horrible Bosses
Long Shot
Booksmart
Ted

Edit: forgot about Seven Pyschopaths. Sam Rockwell always cracks me up.

for me..

Everybody Wants Some!!
The Nice Guys
Sorry to Bother You
Parasite
The World's End
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
I, Tonya
Jojo Rabbit
Thor Ragnarok
Brothers Grimsby

I still need to see Everybody Wants Some!!

It wasn't no Dazed And Confused storywise, but it was far superior in evoking the set year of 1981 than Dazed was for 1976 (featuring some kids w/ 1993 hairstyles). Linklater was blatantly 21 in 81. It was a white bros who liked Van Halen collage, but he was probably waxing nostalgic on a personal level and the behaviors were authentic for the timeframe. It didn't rely on recognizable props like most 80s period pieces do. The extended scene of the kids all doing competitive and/or physical stuff, mostly outside, prob couldn't have been portrayed better if anyone else were to have given it a shot. After awhile, that scene seemed otherworldly even from a mid-late 90s perspective.

Loved the baseball scenes in Everybody Wants Some. Linklater's prior life as a college baseball player really came through
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Based on a friend’s recommendation, I watched the original version of the new Tom Hanks movie, the Swedish film A Man Called Ove. It’s a heart wrenching and wonderful film. Amazing performances and looks gorgeous.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject:

Just finished Knives Out - Glass Onion, great film, even better than the first one. Daniel Craig has a future in comedic films.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Just finished Knives Out - Glass Onion, great film, even better than the first one. Daniel Craig has a future in comedic films.

I tried 3 times to watch it. I just can't get into it. I'll try again.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject:

White noise on Netflix, old school, kinda woody Allen-ish
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:08 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
White noise on Netflix, old school, kinda woody Allen-ish

A lot of Baumbach’s stuff is - basically Woody without the goods
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:

Glad you had me go in one more time. I watched the entire movie. You're right it's a great film. It had an unpredictable ending. I enjoyed it.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject:

Banshees of Insherin is amazingly good. Easily one of my favorites in a long while. Just brilliant on all levels. It's amazing how well it balances extreme darkness with subtle and not so subtle humor. And every single performance is riveting. As someone else said, Collin Ferrel's eyebrows alone deserve an Oscar.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject:

House Party 2023 with LeBron James was a disappointment. 1 watch is enough. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it 5 and that may be being generous.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Crash 2004 An all-star cast. LINK Crash has a message that's true in todays society. Family, marriage, racial divide and misunderstanding of ethnics. The climax shows all stories for closure. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it 9.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject:

TÁR = Todd Fields' Barry Lyndon
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Infinity Pool: the perfect punctuation to the COVID era movie and a satire about wealth and the wealthy that actually has teeth.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:20 am    Post subject:

YOU PEOPLE. Eddie Murphy displayed a level of talent I didn't know he had. He was not the usual wisecracking, funny facial expressions, Eddie Murphy laugh actor. He actually had a serious side. Lauren London the wife/girlfriend of the late Nipsey Hustle is a main character. LINK

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
YOU PEOPLE. Eddie Murphy displayed a level of talent I didn't know he had. He was not the usual wisecracking, funny facial expressions, Eddie Murphy laugh actor. He actually had a serious side. Lauren London the wife/girlfriend of the late Nipsey Hustle is a main character. LINK

I watched You People as well, and I liked it. Enjoyable film. I was surprised to see how much hate it is receiving online. I mean, it’s freakin Netflix romantic comedy, what kind of cinematic masterpiece were they expecting?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I watched You People as well, and I liked it. Enjoyable film. I was surprised to see how much hate it is receiving online. I mean, it’s freakin Netflix romantic comedy, what kind of cinematic masterpiece were they expecting?

I saw good reviews. LINK It was an honest depiction of interracial marriage problems. I thought it was well done.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:27 am    Post subject:

Finally got around to seeing Everything Everywhere All at Once and loved it. Nothing against the other female performances, but if Michelle Yeoh doesn't take home a bunch of awards, it's a miscarriage of filmic justice. Such a multi-faceted performance requiring so many layers, often simultaneously. She was brilliant. Same applies to Ke Huy Quan, but Michelle's subtleties were superb.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Finally got around to seeing Everything Everywhere All at Once and loved it. Nothing against the other female performances, but if Michelle Yeoh doesn't take home a bunch of awards, it's a miscarriage of filmic justice. Such a multi-faceted performance requiring so many layers, often simultaneously. She was brilliant. Same applies to Ke Huy Quan, but Michelle's subtleties were superb.

Jamie Lee Curtis is almost unrecognizable. Loved the karate scenes.
You're right Michelle is a layered actress.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 179, 180, 181 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 180 of 189
Jump to: