The Northman
Jackass Forever
Ambulance
EEAAO
The Lost City
The Batman
X
The Outfit

Nothing terrible, but nothing really outstanding so far. A handful of fun spectacle movies.

By far the best new movie I've seen in 2022 is Memoria, but it first got a theatrical release in 2021, so...

I rolled my eyes almost to injury at the mask in the new The Batman. Looked like a swimcap w/ pointy ears. Looked cheap and handstitched/handcut as if The Batman cut it himself. I'm sure that was the idea behind why it looked low tech and tacky compared to the prior ones dating to 89. They try to make each subsequent Batbrain darker and darker and darker as if that's going to make it intelligent fare or a fascinating character full of mystery. I somehow got thru this one, I think the last prior Marvel flick I saw was the Superman II remake w/ Zod and it sucked as I expected it would. Not even as good as the very dated 1980 version.

I'm not a superhero Marvel person. I don't think it's cinema at all, agree w/ Marty. Older ones from the 80s are nostalgic w/ me, but that's largely due to them being reasonably seldom and well-cast (Reeve and Keaton were both suited to the roles as Clark/Bruce and their alter egos). The genre has been overdone to a painful degree (Aquaman, FFS) just because they still make money. It always makes me Amber Heard eyeroll when they try to make the plots darker and darker in an effort to pass it off as a serious movie/character. It's a bleepin comic book character, there's only so much of a backstory to any of them that makes them intriguing or mysterious. It's like they think they're gonna revise Batman to a level of intrigue that approximates a character like Anton Chigurgh. Ain't happening, but each sequel is another swing.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
The Lost City with Sandra bullock, Channing Tatum, and Brad Pitt was pretty decent. Worth watching once.

Thanks for The Lost City. Typical Sandra Bullock quips. I enjoyed the movie.

Nice. Yeah her movies pretty cool. Brad Pitt's role was small but he really did a good job also.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Baron Von Humongous wrote:
2022 so far:

Top Gun: Maverick
RRR
Kimi
The Northman
Jackass Forever
Ambulance
EEAAO
The Lost City
The Batman
X
The Outfit

Nothing terrible, but nothing really outstanding so far. A handful of fun spectacle movies.

By far the best new movie I've seen in 2022 is Memoria, but it first got a theatrical release in 2021, so...

I rolled my eyes almost to injury at the mask in the new The Batman. Looked like a swimcap w/ pointy ears. Looked cheap and handstitched/handcut as if The Batman cut it himself. I'm sure that was the idea behind why it looked low tech and tacky compared to the prior ones dating to 89. They try to make each subsequent Batbrain darker and darker and darker as if that's going to make it intelligent fare or a fascinating character full of mystery. I somehow got thru this one, I think the last prior Marvel flick I saw was the Superman II remake w/ Zod and it sucked as I expected it would. Not even as good as the very dated 1980 version.

I'm not a superhero Marvel person. I don't think it's cinema at all, agree w/ Marty. Older ones from the 80s are nostalgic w/ me, but that's largely due to them being reasonably seldom and well-cast (Reeve and Keaton were both suited to the roles as Clark/Bruce and their alter egos). The genre has been overdone to a painful degree (Aquaman, FFS) just because they still make money. It always makes me Amber Heard eyeroll when they try to make the plots darker and darker in an effort to pass it off as a serious movie/character. It's a bleepin comic book character, there's only so much of a backstory to any of them that makes them intriguing or mysterious. It's like they think they're gonna revise Batman to a level of intrigue that approximates a character like Anton Chigurgh. Ain't happening, but each sequel is another swing.

When Nolan rebooted Batman I was willing to give it a shot (since I enjoy the single superhero without magic powers more), but whenHeath Ledger did that deliciously over the top Joker (which I took as an homage to Nicholson’s also very over the top if a little more self aware parody of the original campy over the top Joker), it seemed like everyone went nuts on how edgy and arty it was (then again these are the same people who laud every one of Johnny Depp’s attempts to see how ridiculous he can be and still get people bending over backward to call it art, and who breathlessly await DDL’s latest over emoting). Batman is a fairly limited palate to work with, and has a lot of camp in its background. That’s why Keaton was so good. Played the straight man but also had a light touch like he knew this wasn’t Shakespearean drama. I mean, when you need to watch alan rickman’s sheriff of Nottingham to see a more realistic and understated portrayal of a legendary figure, things might have over progressed.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
The Lost City with Sandra bullock, Channing Tatum, and Brad Pitt was pretty decent. Worth watching once.

Nice. Yeah her movies pretty cool. Brad Pitt's role was small but he really did a good job also.

It was and that surprised me. He and Tatum are somewhat lookalikes in the movie. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:

It was and that surprised me. He and Tatum are somewhat lookalikes in the movie. LINK

Yes they do. I thought it was Pitt in the opening scene of the movie.

Also I thought Daniel Radcliffe's character was too similar to his character in Now You See Me 2. He was good but it was just too similar. almost same. Maybe they did that on purpose.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

When Nolan rebooted Batman I was willing to give it a shot (since I enjoy the single superhero without magic powers more), but whenHeath Ledger did that deliciously over the top Joker (which I took as an homage to Nicholson’s also very over the top if a little more self aware parody of the original campy over the top Joker), it seemed like everyone went nuts on how edgy and arty it was (then again these are the same people who laud every one of Johnny Depp’s attempts to see how ridiculous he can be and still get people bending over backward to call it art, and who breathlessly await DDL’s latest over emoting). Batman is a fairly limited palate to work with, and has a lot of camp in its background. That’s why Keaton was so good. Played the straight man but also had a light touch like he knew this wasn’t Shakespearean drama. I mean, when you need to watch alan rickman’s sheriff of Nottingham to see a more realistic and understated portrayal of a legendary figure, things might have over progressed.

Depp has been playing a similar character ever since Ed Wood, imo. Him as a quirk is similar to me no matter what he's wearing (even women's clothes as in Ed Wood's case). He was that kind of hokey character in the Ichabod Crane flick. Benny & Joon, he was approximating Chaplin, and iirc, didn't he portray Chaplin in a movie? Sparrow is similar to those characters from what I've seen even tho I still haven't seen a single "POTC" movie, just snippets. I'm not really a fan of his per se, tho I supported him in the libel case for different reasons. I like him in some of his commercial fare like Donnie B, Scissorhands. And he wasn't that bad as blood geyser boy in "Freddy 1" and as Eddie Rebel in the music video for "Into The Great Wide Open". He was superior to Keanu in "Rush, Rush" video, tho you may disagree.

Brasco is my fave of his, not entirely because he's in it, mostly "cus Al". It's odd because you watch that and would assume he was well suited to play a heavy in a commercial streetwise flick, but both "Black Mass" and "Public Enemy" were dogs with fleas. As Whitey, Depp probably WAS the only half-interesting thing in the flick, which somehow figured out how to make Dakota Johnson look frumpy. As a movie, it was 2 hrs of Depp telling some other character, "Don't you ever do X/Y/Z again". As Dillinger, I couldn't suspend disbelief because Dillinger actually looked like a movie star. The real character had a more rugged look, imo. And I read a prison letter Dillinger sent to his little brother which suggested he wasn't as literate and worldly as portrayed. I think Warren Oates still holds the mantle as far as playing that character. The depiction of Baby Face in "PE" was the most interesting. Stephen Graham. I think Baby Face still holds the record for killing the most FBI agents at 4.

Anyway, Depp did a quirky one in 1995 called "Dead Man". You and Baron might wanna peep that if you haven't yet. It's in B/W. Kind of a Coen Bros feel. Crispin Glover is in it, showing they were intentionally going for quirk. However, the absolute star of the movie is Lance Henricksen. His character was sorta like Ace Hanlon in "The Quick And The Dead", but he was like the Chigurgh of "Dead Man". Well-shot movie. Recommend it. It's a little off the beaten path, but not intellectually offensive.

RE DDL. Love him, but yeah, not a subtle actor. Maybe he's not suited for it. I think people see great method actors and get weak in the knees. As with shotblocking centers over perimeter cheap F suit defenders like Coop, the DPOY award goes to the Cs to a probably unfair degree. Not every aspect of defense shows up on a scorecard just like subtlety and understatement doesn't always get lauded. That's precisely why I think Gosling is an excellent actor, but now I wanna see him attempt something besides handsome standoffish guy who hardstares everyone and barely speaks. Was watching a couple of reviews of "Drive" this morn where those attributes are on display which he followed up with in "Place > Pines". Anyway, I'm not as critical at DDL as I am towards actors who overact without the same level of talent. Gibson was one of those who annoyed me ever since the Mad Max flicks.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Uncharted was also enjoyable. The previews made it seem a bit fantastical and science fictiony with the flying boats, but it was more of a treasure hunt movie without much crazy sci-fi. And the boats did not fly, they were flown.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Uncharted was also enjoyable. The previews made it seem a bit fantastical and science fictiony with the flying boats, but it was more of a treasure hunt movie without much crazy sci-fi. And the boats did not fly, they were flown.

I really enjoyed the movie. It had a bit of National Treasures feel to it which I love.
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject:

Been immersing myself in Star Trek lately, so I decided to watch a throwback the other night while high af that pays homage to the original series. Honest to God Galaxy Quest had me laughing so hard I though I was going to pee myself.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject:

ElginBaylor wrote:
Been immersing myself in Star Trek lately, so I decided to watch a throwback the other night while high af that pays homage to the original series. Honest to God Galaxy Quest had me laughing so hard I though I was going to pee myself.

NEVER GIVE UP NEVER SURRENDER

Spaceballs LINK /// LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject:

Deleted scene from Jurassic 2015, whatever one that was. W/ the Indominous rex. Bryce Dallas Howard rubbing scat on herself. Shamefully weird erection time.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Good basketball film HUSTLE Staring Adam Sandler. The finale is predictable. Good plot with real professional ball players. Story took the path of the Lakers. Father passed away left the son and daughter to run the organization. The daughter runs the business side and has the real power, the son runs basketball and screws up, and the daughter takes the reins and straightens things out. CAST Scale 7.5.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:21 am; edited 3 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
(then again these are the same people who laud every one of Johnny Depp’s attempts to see how ridiculous he can be and still get people bending over backward to call it art,

You should see what they do when Depp when he sues a woman for defamation.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject:

A lot to catch up on, npz, but for the moment - everyone should watch Terence Davies' Distant Voices, Still Lives (1988) on Tubi or the Criterion Channel before going to see his new movie Benediction (2022) in theaters this weekend.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=rw1rdg8U_wU
https://youtube.com/watch?v=uecLcbv6h0A
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Deleted scene from Jurassic 2015, whatever one that was. W/ the Indominous rex. Bryce Dallas Howard rubbing scat on herself. Shamefully weird erection time.

I'd say you need help, but I think I reacted pretty much the same way.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject:

Just saw Adam Sandler’s Hustle, very predictable plot but I enjoyed it a lot. Simple and satisfying, recommend
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Just saw Adam Sandler’s Hustle, very predictable plot but I enjoyed it a lot. Simple and satisfying, recommend

I gave it a 7.5. Actually, according to your taste, it may rate higher. Good film. Did the story plot bring Dr. Buss, Jeanie Buss, Jim Buss, and the Lakers to mind?

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:

I gave it a 7.5. Actually, according to your taste, it may rate higher. Good film. Did the story plot bring Dr. Buss, Jeanie Buss, Jim Buss, and the Lakers to mind?

Kinda, Jim aka vin and his smarter sister lol
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
jodeke wrote:
governator wrote:

Kinda, Jim aka vin and his smarter sister lol

What made me think of the Lakers was the role played by Robert Duvall, Rex Merrick, dying and leaving the team to his kids with the daughter having the most authority. The way Vin screwed up and Kat took over. It was the way things went with the Lakers in real time.

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject:

I saw Hustle as well. By far the best Adam Sandler Netflix movie he has done. I’m not considering Uncut Gems as a Netflix movie.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I saw Hustle as well. By far the best Adam Sandler Netflix movie he has done. I’m not considering Uncut Gems as a Netflix movie.

Yeah, nothing corny and just good simple acting
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject:

SKYFALL Was that the beginning of James Bond 007? I didn't know Moneypenny was a field agent. Her first name is Eve.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Good basketball film HUSTLE Staring Adam Sandler. The finale is predictable. Good plot with real professional ball players. Story took the path of the Lakers. Father passed away left the son and daughter to run the organization. The daughter runs the business side and has the real power, the son runs basketball and screws up, and the daughter takes the reins and straightens things out. CAST Scale 7.5.

I was shocked by how good of a performance Juancho Hernangomez had. If I didn't know better, I would have thought he was a tall actor that they had play an NBA player. Kenny Smith and DrJ were pretty solid too.

Generic sports flick but still worth a watch. I was entertained. Proud of the way the NBA guys represented.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject:

This one hurts.

RIP Philip Baker Hall. No exaggeration to say PTA may not have a career but for PBH. Loved him in Secret Honor, Hard Eight/Sydney, Boogie Nights, and Magnolia.

RIP Detective Bookman
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I was shocked by how good of a performance Juancho Hernangomez had. If I didn't know better, I would have thought he was a tall actor that they had play an NBA player. Kenny Smith and DrJ were pretty solid too.

Generic sports flick but still worth a watch. I was entertained. Proud of the way the NBA guys represented.

NBA Players acting>actors playing ball

Winnin' Time should learn from hustle and hire real hoopers to act
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 173 of 189
Jump to: