OFFICIAL GOLF THREAD: BREAKING - OMAR GETS AN ACE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:57 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Even though Tiger's not much of a threat to win a tournament he's still one of golf's biggest draws. He pulls in the crowds.

Well when you consider his golf career almost ended here 2 years ago the journey back is incredible.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Tiger -3 4th hole. Playing the front 9 last today.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Eldrick's limp is not that bad. He's stepping quickly.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Tiger F -4 T26

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Even though Tiger's not much of a threat to win a tournament he's still one of golf's biggest draws. He pulls in the crowds.

Well when you consider his golf career almost ended here 2 years ago the journey back is incredible.

To not play competitively for months and months and then come back at Age 47 and make the cuts against the best young players in the world?

Amazing feat, then he goes and shoots a great round today also.

The last golf chapter of El Tigre may not have been written yet.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

To not play competitively for months and months and then come back at Age 47 and make the cuts against the best young players in the world?

Agreed

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Not trying to rain on his parade because I agree with everything you said. It's amazing.

But.....................................

As far as competing against the very best competition in the world...

I wonder how watered down the PGA is nowadays with LIV Golf taking so much of the talent away.

As of Aug 2022, LIV had taken 26 of the top 100 players.

Quote:
LIV Golf Now Has 26 Of The World’s Top 100 Golfers. Here’s Who They Are.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/justinbirnbaum/2022/08/30/liv-golf-now-has-26-of-the-worlds-top-100-golfers-heres-who-they-are/?sh=cdeddfb74fda

A few things to address here. Let's start with the stat: 26 of the world's top golfers. First, that list is an ever changing ranking. Players move in and out of that 100 based on their current level of play, which is always in flux, even for the best. Second, that 26 is spread across the range. For every golfer near the top of the 100, there were ones lingering at the bottom. And even some of the top golfers who defected to LIV have floundered since. Brooks, Bryson and Cam haven't exactly torn up the golf world since their defection. The void left by those 26 wasn't filled by a bunch of second rate players—It's not like it was 100 great players in the PGA and then a bunch of fill ins who don't cut it lingering way behind in skill. Then there's the fact that many of the best in the game remained in the PGA. Guys like like Rory are still around, and younger ones like Spieth and Thomas (multiple Major winners) and newer blood like Zalatoris, Hovland and Morikawa are on the PGA tour. So this idea that a PGA field is suddenly compromised in quality because some guys bailed for LIV isn't as significant as it sounds.

Then there's the fact that the existence of LIV is irrelevant in regards to Tiger's accomplishments this weekend. Rory said he immediately re-evaluated his driver loft on Thursday night after seeing Tiger out drive him. And Rory is a long ball hitter. He outdrove his threesome on the first two days a number of times. He came within 10" of acing 14 on Friday. Tiger's ball speed off the tee has been amazing. And then there's the fact that golf is an individual game played against the field in the same conditions (mostly). His 67 today was a solid accomplishment against a great field.

My point is, I know the LIV is new and sexy to some, but don't let the hype and controversial nonsense and fool you. The PGA is no way a diminished league because of the advent of the LIV. Not even remotely.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject:

This question/comment never existed....

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:14 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
^

The question had nothing to do with LIV. The question just had to do with the lost of talent.

Whether they went to LIV, Mars, retired, decided to play ping pong, whatever is irrelevant.

Well, it was you, not me, who directly tied that loss of talent to the LIV:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
As of Aug 2022, LIV had taken 26 of the top 100 players.

LongBeachPoly wrote:
The question is how watered down is the PGA right now after the loss of talent?

It could be:

1) There was no loss of talent at all

2) There was some loss of talent but they've all been replaced so, in the end, no loss at all, or

3) The loss of talent did water down the PGA to some extent.

For the reason I explained above, I think this is the most accurate description; particularly at the top. Of the top 25 on the WGR all but 2 are almost exclusively playing on the PGA tour, Cam Smith being the one prominent LIV player.

Quote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Then there's the fact that the existence of LIV is irrelevant in regards to Tiger's accomplishments this weekend.

The cut was at +1 this weekend. If he doesn't make the cut, there wouldn't have been a round 3.

And if a bull had teats it would give milk . . . Tiger did make the cut, so I'm not sure what point you are attempting to make.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject:

This question/comment never existed....

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject:

Rahm has the shortest backswing I've seen in quite some time. He stops his takeaway at the top of the swing instead of letting the head go parallel. It's whip-like.

As the day goes on Tiger's limp is becoming more evident.

The Golf Channel is showing a lot of graphics. It uses Trackman. It tracks ball speed, trajectory off the tee, ball height, make% and distance on putts, etc.

Tiger finishes 1 under. The crowd applauded loudly. He still has a following.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
^

The question had nothing to do with Unnamed Source. The question just had to do with the lost of talent.

Whether they went to Unnamed Source, Mars, retired, decided to play ping pong, whatever is irrelevant.

Well, it was you, not me, who directly tied that loss of talent to the Unnamed Source:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
As of Aug 2022, Unnamed Source had taken 26 of the top 100 players.

Yeah, like I said, it really wasn't an Unnamed Source question at all.

I would have asked the same question if they went to Mars, went to play ping pong, went on a prolonged fishing trip, joined the army, retired and decided to become actors, decided to go back to school, decided to become professional bowlers, whatever.

Still would have been the same question. So the source of the loss of talent was irrelevant to my asking the question.

But it seemed to hit a nerve so whatever source would soothe those nerves, go with that. It's irrelevant to me.

But if it helps, I can go back and delete all mention of Unnamed Source and we can just say loss of talent without even mentioning where the talent went. I'm perfectly fine with that. It makes zero difference to me where they went. If it helps ease your nerves, I'm up for that. I'll even do it now for you.

DaMuleRules wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Then there's the fact that the existence of Unnamed Source is irrelevant in regards to Tiger's accomplishments this weekend.

The cut was at +1 this weekend. If he doesn't make the cut, there wouldn't have been a round 3.

And if a bull had teats it would give milk . . . Tiger did make the cut, so I'm not sure what point you are attempting to make.

Then we've found the source of the problem. You're answering questions to which you have no understanding. The question/comment was posed to everyone, not specifically to YOU. Since you didn't understand it, it's perfectly ok to sit this one out and allow others to answer. No need to tell everyone what you don't understand. Sit this one out player.

Don't answer those questions/comment to which you have no understanding of. Problem solved.

DaMuleRules wrote:
For the reason I explained above, I think this is the most accurate description; particularly at the top. Of the top 25 on the WGR all but 2 are almost exclusively playing on the PGA tour, Cam Smith being the one prominent LIV player.

Thanks for answering the question. Now that I know this is a sore spot, I will not make mention of that unnamed source again. You have my word!

For the record, that was you who mentioned the unnamed source, not me...

You doing OK there buddy? You're irrational obtuseness and inability to follow the events of a simple conversation are a bit concerning; not to mention the unhinged editing rampage you dove into.

Anyway, I'm not sore about anything. You suggested the PGA might be a bit watered down now that some of the players have migrated to the LIV (which was the first mention of LIV in the discussion of Tiger and Riviera). I simply responded to that to say I didn't think that the advent of the LIV really diluted the talent levels in the PGA and why. For some reason you took that personally and as some sort of confrontation, which was not the intent at all. Sorry you felt the need to oddly retroactively alter the content of the discussion.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Tiger did better on the back 9 than the front 9 all tournament:

Quote:
Front 9:

Rd 1: -1
Rd 2: +3
Rd 3: -2
Rd 4: +2

Total: -2

Back 9:

Rd 2: even
Rd 4: even

Total: -3

Tiger's 5 best holes were: (1, 13, 16, 17, 18). He played these 5 holes at -11, bogey free. Four of them were on the back 9.

Quote:
Hole 1 (Par 5):

Rd 2: par
Rd 4: -1

Hole 14 (Par 3):

Rd 1: par
Rd 2: -1
Rd 3: -1
Rd 4: par

Hole 16 (Par 3):

Rd 3: par
Rd 4: -1

Hole 17 (Par 5):

Rd 2: -1

Hole 18 (Par 4):

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
You doing OK there buddy? You're irrational obtuseness and inability to follow the events of a simple conversation are a bit concerning; not to mention the unhinged editing rampage you dove into.

Is the concern for the irrational obtuseness, or the unhinged editing rampage?

Either way, the conversation took a turn negatively (per usual). Somehow, I don't think it's about golf or Tiger or any unnamed sources anymore. I've already made the necessary corrections to alleviate any hurt feelings. Probably best to delete the question/comment altogether to protect further hurt feelings on the subject. Let's just pretend the question never existed?

Fair?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Rahm's game has gone south. He went from 3 up to 1 back.

Rahm is back on top and leads by 1 at the 14th

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:08 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

The guy is a birdie machine.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Rahm is the fastest player to 3 wins in a calendar year since Johnny Miller did it in 1975. Not even Tiger has accumulated 3 wins by February 19th.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Rahm is the fastest player to 3 wins in a calendar year since Johnny Miller did it in 1975. Not even Tiger has accumulated 3 wins by February 19th.

That’s amazing.

I wonder how many records will fall due to the current conditions.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Is the concern for the irrational obtuseness, or the unhinged editing rampage?

Either way, the conversation took a turn negatively (per usual). Somehow, I don't think it's about golf or Tiger or any unnamed sources anymore. I've already made the necessary corrections to alleviate any hurt feelings. Probably best to delete the question/comment altogether to protect further hurt feelings on the subject. Let's just pretend the question never existed?

Fair?

No hurt feelings at this end. I was simply talking golf. But clearly from your reaction, there’s something bigger at play on yours. Again, my apologies if something I said came across as personal.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Rahm has become one of my favorite players over the last couple of years. His passion has lead him to be a bit erratic in the past, but he’s been so good at getting past that and maturing into one of the most solid guys in the sport.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:08 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
No hurt feelings at this end

Extremely relieved
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:09 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Rahm has become one of my favorite players over the last couple of years. His passion has lead him to be a bit erratic in the past, but he’s been so good at getting past that and maturing into one of the most solid guys in the sport.

He is quite a talent and a tough competitor also. He missed tons of fairways at Riviera and still won the tournament because the rest of his game is so good, his putting is amzaing when he has it going....which is often.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

That’s amazing.

I didn’t realize last years Genesis winner went to LIV Tour. Joaquin Neimann.

There is a possibly fake Greg Norman quote going around social media that he said Jon Rahm would be middle of the pack at LIV.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

That’s amazing.

There is a possibly fake Greg Norman quote going around social media that he said Jon Rahm would be middle of the pack at LIV.

Didn't realize that either. Good stuff.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

That’s amazing.

Probably not fake. Norman has said a number of ridiculous things in his efforts to pump up the league of which he's the figure head. Can't really blame him. It's his job to pump up attention for the fledgling league. But it doesn't make it any less ridiculous.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 24 of 33
Jump to: