OFFICIAL GOLF THREAD: BREAKING - OMAR GETS AN ACE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:39 am    Post subject:

Body cam footage:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/29/sport/video/scottie-scheffler-arrest-leaked-bodycam-footage-digvid

Scheffler starts off by saying:

Quote:
“the police officer up there told me to go against traffic. Then I come up to this police officer (who I didn’t know was one)…”

How was he able to identify one police officer but not another? They were all wearing the same yellow vests.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Scheffler won The Memorial, and the course was really tough over the last 2 rounds. The greens down the stretch were like rocks, and it was really tough to hold the greens with approaches. There was some very thick rough around the greens as well. And though Muirfield Village is another Nicklaus course, unlike at Valhalla, the fairways aren't cavernously wide. It was a much better test of golf for these pros, and it's a shame that this course didn't host the PGA Championship instead of Valhalla. But I wonder if Nicklaus simply isn't interested in having the course host a major championship; no professional major has ever been contested there, although it has hosted the following events:

--1987 Ryder Cup matches
--1992 US Amateur
--1998 Solheim Cup

Anyway, Scheffler's -8 finishing total was similar to the -7 winning total from last year's Memorial. I remember in the recent past that guys were finishing better than -20 there, so they must have made an effort to make the rough more punitive and perhaps some other tactical changes.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Scheffler won The Memorial, and the course was really tough over the last 2 rounds. The greens down the stretch were like rocks, and it was really tough to hold the greens with approaches.

What was even more impressive is that he did it with maybe his B- game. He made some atypical mistakes and even triple bogeyed a hole but still was nails down the stretch to hold off a very game Morikawa who shook off his Sunday slumps with a great round in the tough conditions you mentioned.

Scheffler is an absolute machine, he seemingly is a lock to seriously contend in or win every tournament he enters which is insane at the top level. He is almost double the Fed Ex points (5,051) of the guy in 2nd place which is Schauffele with 2,880 points. That is absurd domination.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 3:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Scheffler won The Memorial, and the course was really tough over the last 2 rounds. The greens down the stretch were like rocks, and it was really tough to hold the greens with approaches.

What was even more impressive is that he did it with maybe his B- game. He made some atypical mistakes and even triple bogeyed a hole but still was nails down the stretch to hold off a very game Morikawa who shook off his Sunday slumps with a great round in the tough conditions you mentioned.

Scheffler is an absolute machine, he seemingly is a lock to seriously contend in or win every tournament he enters which is insane at the top level. He is almost double the Fed Ex points (5,051) of the guy in 2nd place which is Schauffele with 2,880 points. That is absurd domination.

It appeared that only a questionable putter could slow him down, and since he's switched to a mallet putter early this year, he's been almost unstoppable. He truly has no weaknesses in his game if he's going to putt it well. He's the best driver on tour when you combine accuracy and length, and he's also the best with iron approach shots. Also happens to be wonderful around the greens when he does need to chip or blast out of the sand. If he's putting well, he's just really difficult to beat.

And yeah, he did triple #9 in the 2nd or 3rd Round, I forget which. Not only that, but he bogeyed a par-5 hole in each of the last 3 rounds. Still won. I agree with you that it wasn't close to his best golf. For his sake, hopefully he plays a bit better at Pinehurst this week for the U.S. Open.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 5:47 am    Post subject:

Molinari with a must make hole in one on 18 to make the cut!

In other news, this morning I play The South Course at Torrey Pines!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:39 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

Enjoy! The most stressful shot on that course is the first one on the Tee at Hole 1. The entire clubhouse of people waiting to play is basically watching you and it is a brutal long Par 4.

Beautiful course and a jewel of San Diego, I hope you enjoy your round...
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Enjoy! The most stressful shot on that course is the first one on the Tee at Hole 1. The entire clubhouse of people waiting to play is basically watching you and it is a brutal long Par 4.

Yes, enjoy it, DMR. Speaking of courses, you couldn't pay me to play Pinehurst #2, site of this week's U.S. Open. The greens are anthills. Ridiculous.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 3:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Thanks LL! Had a blast. I was a bit apprehensive going in given the South Course’s rep and my 25 HC. But got off the tee well on 1, settled in and played almost to my HC but for one bunker blowup on 8 and a ball in the pond on 18. But I Hit 50% of the fairways, which is great for me.

North course tomorrow!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Bryson takes a 3-shot lead into tomorrow's final round. He actually had a 4-shot lead on 15 and chunked a chip shot and made double, but then came right back with a birdie on 16. Rory is among those in the group 3 shots back, but he will not be playing in the final group tomorrow. Cantlay and Pivon (who will be in that final group) are also 3 back. Aberg and Finau took disastrous triple bogeys on 13, both having their approach shots rolling back off the front of the green and then hitting their chip over the green and then hitting the subsequent chips back off the front of the green. Just diabolical.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
both having their approach shots rolling back off the front of the green and then hitting their chip over the green and then hitting the subsequent chips back off the front of the green. Just diabolical.

Or for me, just a typical hole. 😀
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:11 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
both having their approach shots rolling back off the front of the green and then hitting their chip over the green and then hitting the subsequent chips back off the front of the green. Just diabolical.

Or for me, just a typical hole. 😀

Oh, I've been there many, many times!

Most of the greens at Pinehurst, virtually all of them, in fact, are like upside-down salad bowls or something. The greens on #1 and #18 are among the easier ones, so it's like the course is saying, OK, we'll give you a halfway-decent shot on #1 and we'll give you a halfway-decent shot to close it up, but all in between, if you miss by even a few yards, sorry bud, your ball is rolling off the green!

A couple of further observations. One, again the galleries absolutely love Bryson. He gets the loadest roars and he's clearly embraced just being a showman out there. Before his tee shot on the short par-4 13th hole today, he was thinking about pulling driver before settling for an iron; one of his patented huge drives may have gotten him greenside or close to it. He was having a running commentary with the gallery about whether or not he should go for it and saying stuff like "sorry, don't boo me" for going with the iron. He's just totally soaking it up and the crowds love it. And two, my other observation may surprise some people who have heard me be very critical of the PGA Tour and of its enablers in the media, one of them being Brandel Chamblee. Chamblee is one of the lead analysts on NBC for the tournament (they have both Dan Hicks and Mike Tirico doing play-by-play in the tower and Chamblee and Brad Faxon as analysts in the tower), and I must say, I think he sounds good on the broadcast. Just the right amount of knowledge and keeping it light, for me. I have to call it like I see it; I don't like him personally, but I was pleasantly surprised. He's much better than Azinger was. I think Faxon is OK.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:27 am    Post subject:

I am rooting hard for Bryson today, I just like his style and that he is willing to give something back to the fans rather than just being a robot like Cantlay.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Bryson with an amazing performance despite missing so many fairways. McIlroy choking the two short putts was enjoyed by this observer as well.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Bryson with an amazing performance despite missing so many fairways. McIlroy choking the two short putts was enjoyed by this observer as well.

McIlroy looked like he was finally poised to end the major drought. Bryson didn't have his driver today at all (literally the worst in the entire field today in fairways hit), and after making a couple of bombs and birdieing 4 of 5 holes in one stretch, he had a 2-shot lead, although Bryson playing the short par-4 13th got it right back down to 1. You just have to chalk it up to the two missed putts, yep. Especially the first one. That was charted at 2 feet 6 inches, and you almost never see a pro miss a putt of that length. Tiger famously went 4 years without missing anything inside of 3 feet. Rory had been 496-for-496 on the PGA Tour this year on anything inside of 3 feet before that miss, by the way. Then the one on 18, it took a massive left-to-right break, but still, the putt didn't have enough speed and was struck a bit tentatively, allowing it to take the sharp break to the right.

Has to be an absolute soul-crusher for McIlroy, but I'm really happy for Bryson. After his own miss from about 4 feet that looked like it might cost him the tournament, he rebounded with some good iron shots, at least, and the up-and-down on 18 was just incredible. The long bunker shot is one of the hardest shots in all of golf, and under that pressure, that was pretty spectacular. In fact, I just saw a stat on Twitter that gave the probability of an up-and-down off a 55-yard bunker shot at just 1.7%. Wow!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I am rooting hard for Bryson today, I just like his style and that he is willing to give something back to the fans rather than just being a robot like Cantlay.

I can’t do it; too much of douchie history, the whole DudeBro vibe and his attitude through the LIV mess has left too much of a bitter taste.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
McIlroy choking the two short putts was enjoyed by this observer as well.

I don’t know how anyone who respects the game takes pleasure in watching one of the good guys go through that.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:43 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I don’t know how anyone who respects the game takes pleasure in watching one of the good guys go through that.

Is he, though? As a tennis fan, I can name one Ms. Caroline Wozniacki who wouldn't say so. Anyway, that first miss was truly a stunner. The second one really was a huge breaker straight downhill from about 4 feet, so I can understand that one a little bit, even if I'm surprised he hit it so tentatively when it's a virtual must-make. The first one from 2'6, I mean, wow. You just don't see pros missing those.

And DMR, I think Bryson has changed. I think losing his father and losing his game (it was out in the wilderness) in 2022 just did something to him. He's come back engaged, unafraid to be emotional, and he also couldn't have been more complimentary of Rory in his post-tournament presser. He was exceptionally gracious in defeat at the PGA as well, despite bitter disappointment. He sought out Xander, congratulated him in person, and then spoke of how deserving he was to win.

He has the most star power in the game of golf right now. He plays an exciting brand of golf and he clearly engages with the fans like no one else right now. The galleries are eating it up.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

He has done a lot of things the past couple of years that have irritated me, he is becoming pretty annoying.

1. Treating his wife like crap and embarrassing her publicly
2. Freaking out like a little girl at the Ryder Cup and throwing a hissy fit
3. Supporting small fields and freezing out of the field the rank and file tour players. When the late Grayson Murray confronted him about it, he said "Just play better Grayson" which is a classless comment when you are on top to say to other pros.

He just isn't my cup of tea personally.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:57 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I can’t do it; too much of douchie history, the whole DudeBro vibe and his attitude through the LIV mess has left too much of a bitter taste.

Yeah, Rory is hated by the right wing for calling LIV what it is.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Yeah, Rory is hated by the right wing for calling LIV what it is.

What?
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Austin Reeves tried to qualify for a Korn Ferry event earlier this week and failed. Then he played in the Good Good Major this week. He was paired with Garret Clark in a 2 man scramble this week.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Is he, though? As a tennis fan, I can name one Ms. Caroline Wozniacki who wouldn't say so.
I don't know the story there, but does one interpersonal relationship event erase everything else he has done in and for golf?

Quote:
And DMR, I think Bryson has changed. I think losing his father and losing his game (it was out in the wilderness) in 2022 just did something to him. He's come back engaged, unafraid to be emotional, and he also couldn't have been more complimentary of Rory in his post-tournament presser. He was exceptionally gracious in defeat at the PGA as well, despite bitter disappointment. He sought out Xander, congratulated him in person, and then spoke of how deserving he was to win.

He has the most star power in the game of golf right now. He plays an exciting brand of golf and he clearly engages with the fans like no one else right now. The galleries are eating it up.

Maybe, he's young, so who knows where he is headed. It's just for me, it's going to take a lot to bring me around on his past behavior.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

He has done a lot of things the past couple of years that have irritated me, he is becoming pretty annoying.

I don't follow the tabloid stuff, so I don't know the details beyond the fact that he and his wife have called off their divorce, so . . .

Quote:

LOL! Yeah, like Bryson has never done that, right?

Quote:
3. Supporting small fields and freezing out of the field the rank and file tour players. When the late Grayson Murray confronted him about it, he said "Just play better Grayson" which is a classless comment when you are on top to say to other pros.

Not sure what the problem is with wanting other players to prove themselves through competition.

But Bryson has been the epitome of class, right? Bailing on the PGA for more money and no cut golf, and then (bleep), moaning and attacking the PGA because he no longer got to enjoy the benefits of the tour he turned on and blasted . . . Yeah, class act right there . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:06 am    Post subject:

^
As I said, I think he's changed. I saw him on the Pat McAfee Show, and when the host said how much of a bummer it is that he won't be playing in the Olympics, Bryson acknowledged that he made a choice and that this had certain consequences that he has had to accept. And he doesn't seem bothered by it. He just seems like he's in a really good place.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I don't follow the tabloid stuff, so I don't know the details beyond the fact that he and his wife have called off their divorce, so . . .

Quote:

LOL! Yeah, like Bryson has never done that, right?

Quote:

Not sure what the problem is with wanting other players to prove themselves through competition.

But Bryson has been the epitome of class, right? Bailing on the PGA for more money and no cut golf, and then (bleep), moaning and attacking the PGA because he no longer got to enjoy the benefits of the tour he turned on and blasted . . . Yeah, class act right there . . .

I am not a LIV Fan and agree that the guys who took the money from LIV really sold out.

But back to Rory, I forgot #4 and #5:

#4 - Leaving the US Open without talking to the press and acting like a sore loser. He has no problem giving interviews (especially to his alleged mistress) when he wins, but runs and hides when he loses? Contrast that to say Greg Norman answering every question when he blew the Masters for instance. To me it just leave a bad taste.

#5 - Not congratulating Bryson for a great tournament win or even shaking his hand. Instead more important to cut out 15 minutes earlier and then put out a weak cloying press release the next day.

Rory was right to stick up vs. LIV, but then he wasn't even man enough to stay behind his original position and essentially backstabbed his PGA Tour bretheren. Which is why there is no longer any interest in having him as part of the advisory board which he also quit, but then wanted to come back to.

If Rory is your guy, I won't try and change your mind but to me he comes off like an egotistical putz.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 36 of 37
Jump to: