Could Aaron Mintz have a past grudge with Rob Pelinaka?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
giordan0 wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:

Say what you want about that douchebag Mintz, but Randle going to the Pelicans was the right more, financial/business wise.

Not when the cripple Jabari Parker just scored a 2Y 40M from the Bulls.

Mintz has brainwashed his clients.

NO didn’t have $20 mil to spend. He could have went to a crappy organization like Chicago but wanted to join his fellow Wildcat and compete in the West.

He could have? Really? I don’t remember hearing ANYTHING about any team, “crappy” or otherwise, being interested in signing him to anything close to the contract Jabari got.

I’d take it one step further: if the Hawks, Bulls, Kings or any other bad team had offered him that money, he would’ve taken it without thinking twice. Not sure how you can claim he could have gone to a crappy team but “wanted” to go to NO.

Lastly what’s your definition of “compete in the West”? I think they’re very clearly behind GSW, HOU, LAL, OKC, UTA, and SAS (of Kawhi is somehow back and healthy). I see them more in the POR, MIN, DEN group, competing for spots 5-9.

Of course you didn't hear about that since Randle wanted to go to NO. NO was a top 4 team in the West last season and there is no reason to think that they will be worse. At least as long as AD's health holds up, he is a top 2-3 player when healthy.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
PG’s documentary, first thing he mentions is how vital Aaron Mintz is in his NBA career:

Quote:
Paul George: “Aaron Mintz is my agent. He’s been in this journey with me since I was 20 years old. He’s played a very, very vital role in my career. We share more than an agent and player relationship. He’s more of my big brother.”

Yall are naive if you don't think agents steer their clients towards certain teams. At that level of business the pettiness is at an all time high with these dudes. Egos are massive.

If Randle & PG had another agent Randle most likely still be a Laker and PG would have at least taken a meeting with Magic before making his decision.

I think you're searching for a villain where there is none.

Eric Pincus confirmed it bro. You’re being naive or just trying to be a contrarian

I read the Pincus tweet(s). He didn't confirm anything.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
giordan0 wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:

Say what you want about that douchebag Mintz, but Randle going to the Pelicans was the right more, financial/business wise.

NO didn’t have $20 mil to spend. He could have went to a crappy organization like Chicago but wanted to join his fellow Wildcat and compete in the West.

He could have? Really? I don’t remember hearing ANYTHING about any team, “crappy” or otherwise, being interested in signing him to anything close to the contract Jabari got.

I’d take it one step further: if the Hawks, Bulls, Kings or any other bad team had offered him that money, he would’ve taken it without thinking twice. Not sure how you can claim he could have gone to a crappy team but “wanted” to go to NO.

Lastly what’s your definition of “compete in the West”? I think they’re very clearly behind GSW, HOU, LAL, OKC, UTA, and SAS (of Kawhi is somehow back and healthy). I see them more in the POR, MIN, DEN group, competing for spots 5-9.

Absolutely correct.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
PG’s documentary, first thing he mentions is how vital Aaron Mintz is in his NBA career:

Quote:
Paul George: “Aaron Mintz is my agent. He’s been in this journey with me since I was 20 years old. He’s played a very, very vital role in my career. We share more than an agent and player relationship. He’s more of my big brother.”

Yall are naive if you don't think agents steer their clients towards certain teams. At that level of business the pettiness is at an all time high with these dudes. Egos are massive.

If Randle & PG had another agent Randle most likely still be a Laker and PG would have at least taken a meeting with Magic before making his decision.

Eric Pincus confirmed it bro. You’re being naive or just trying to be a contrarian

https://twitter.com/ericpincus/status/1013910550974222337?lang=en

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/1018168101899243522

First tweet confirms that Mintz and Lakers did not like each other. Second tweet is a little softer in it's language but the point remains. Other insiders have replied to the 2nd tweet confirming that they've heard about the Pelinka-Mintz grudge
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

The Juggernaut wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
The Juggernaut wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:

https://twitter.com/ericpincus/status/1013910550974222337?lang=en

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/1018168101899243522

First tweet confirms that Mintz and Lakers did not like each other. Second tweet is a little softer in it's language but the point remains. Other insiders have replied to the 2nd tweet confirming that they've heard about the Pelinka-Mintz grudge

Oh I can believe they didn't like each other. Whether that led to Mintz screwing the Lakers over by convincing his client to accept a weaker deal (do we even know what the offer from the Lakers was on Randle?) is why I don't see anything scandalous here.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Icaruz
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Oh i think it play a pretty big part.

Remember, the Thunders season ended as badly as it can be. If it was any other FA, we would have been able to do the "non-tampering" tampering through the agent. In this case I doubt we could have done that with Mintz

So PG got 2 months dose of Paintball with Russell Westbrook without anyone to whisper in his ears and he signed a contract without anyone being able to get a pitch, which seems counter benefit to him. But I think someone knows that if PG sit down with Magic and have counter argument from all sides, he ain't getting up so that lead to such quick signing
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
giordan0 wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:

Of course you didn't hear about that since Randle wanted to go to NO. NO was a top 4 team in the West last season and there is no reason to think that they will be worse. At least as long as AD's health holds up, he is a top 2-3 player when healthy.

they were 6th in the west. AD is injury prone and Cousins kept them afloat. they also lost randle.

i see them fighting for 8 and missing playoffs
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject:

I still feel Mintz might have done George a disservice and potentially cost PG more money by not dealing with all of this a year ago before George asked out of Indiana. He should've made sure that PG needed to be all in on his plan of leaving to LA a year later instead of forcing his way out of Indiana. Now he looks like he's indecisive and a puppet of his agent.

The whole handling of Russell wasn't a good look for the Lakers either. Although I agreed with their assessment of D'Angelo since he never seemed to come across as a hard worker, Magic shouldn't have thrown any unintentional shade at his leadership capability. But that shouldn't have been a big enough deal to warrant any lingering bad feelings from Mintz.

Now Randle's situation is the only one that truly sucked. He did all that was asked of him and still was not considered for a multi-year contract. Lakers did do him a favor by rescinding the QO, but overall the Lakers should've read the situation better and possibly just cut their losses and get at least that second rounder that was rumored to be offered at the deadline. Surprised that they didn't value him enough to be part of the current team, especially at that contract. It's possible Mintz poisoned the well with JR, but the Lakers front office could have done better.

Remember that the Lakers are relatively young at their positions, so they still have a lot to learn. Pelinka and Magic haven't been day-to-day NBA front office executives before. This is Walton's first head coaching gig. The core is very young. There's gonna be some trials and tribulations but overall they're working through them well.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject:

PG can sign a huge extension after year 2 right?
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
I still feel Mintz might have done George a disservice and potentially cost PG more money by not dealing with all of this a year ago before George asked out of Indiana. He should've made sure that PG needed to be all in on his plan of leaving to LA a year later instead of forcing his way out of Indiana. Now he looks like he's indecisive and a puppet of his agent.

The whole handling of Russell wasn't a good look for the Lakers either. Although I agreed with their assessment of D'Angelo since he never seemed to come across as a hard worker, Magic shouldn't have thrown any unintentional shade at his leadership capability. But that shouldn't have been a big enough deal to warrant any lingering bad feelings from Mintz.

Now Randle's situation is the only one that truly sucked. He did all that was asked of him and still was not considered for a multi-year contract. Lakers did do him a favor by rescinding the QO, but overall the Lakers should've read the situation better and possibly just cut their losses and get at least that second rounder that was rumored to be offered at the deadline. Surprised that they didn't value him enough to be part of the current team, especially at that contract. It's possible Mintz poisoned the well with JR, but the Lakers front office could have done better.

Remember that the Lakers are relatively young at their positions, so they still have a lot to learn. Pelinka and Magic haven't been day-to-day NBA front office executives before. This is Walton's first head coaching gig. The core is very young. There's gonna be some trials and tribulations but overall they're working through them well.

Totally agree with all of this. Think the D'Angelo situation really was on D'Angelo, but front office didn't help the cause with Magic's comments, be it intentional or unintentional. The Randle situation was somewhat similar - front office/coaching staff definitely messed with him early season, and obviously Randle didn't take kindly to it. If there really is a rift between Pelinka/Mintz, that pretty much closed any chance of having a healthy relationship here in the future for Randle and team. Sucks we got nothing for him, and think it's a learning area for this front office. Overall they've done a remarkable job at marketing the team and themselves well, so hopefully these mistakes will be athing of the past soon enough and not linger over future free agent decisions.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Any good agent would never shut the door on an opportunity without doing its due diligence. Even Lebron had his people meet with philly just to hear them out. Mintz not allowing or advising PG to even meet with the Lakers was a terrible job as an agent. Even if he really wanted to be in OKC, which I dont believe that he does, you still check all of the options. There is nothing that happened in OKC in a year that made PG go from being steadfast on being a Laker to not even take a meeting with him. That has Mintz fingerprints all over it and also goes to show you how weakmined PG is that he allowed Mintz and Westbrook's influence to make him feel so pressured that he didn't even take a meeting.

From the DLo incident, to PG and now Randle, if you believe that this wasn't personal on Mintz part and that he didn't play a huge part in how things played out, you are extremely gullible.

Now that we don't have any of his clients on our roster, good riddance.
lewis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
giordan0 wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:

they were 6th in the west. AD is injury prone and Cousins kept them afloat. they also lost randle.

i see them fighting for 8 and missing playoffs

Quote:
For what it’s worth, with Cousins in the lineup, he averaged 18 shots per game. In the 48 games he played this season, the Pelicans were 27-21 (0.56) . With him in the lineup, Davis shot the ball 17.6 times per game and scored 26.5 points per contest.

In the 34 games the Pelicans played without Cousins, Davis’ shot attempts increased fairly significantly. He got 21.9 attempts per contest and similarly increased his scoring output to 30.2 points per game.

Without Cousins they were 21-13 (0.61). Also listen to a woj podcast before FA where Randle is saying he wants to play for a team that will be in the playoffs. http://art19.com/shows/thewojpod/episodes/3ddbf95b-f926-45c0-84ad-9b1b23f57c79
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

Reminds me of the David Lee drama. Remember that douche tried to play hardball with us over Ariza and we told him to pound salt and signed Artest instead? I think he tried to play tough again when we had to negotiate Bynum’s extension.

Wonder what his client list is looking like these days.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
giordan0 wrote:
Lakeshow323 wrote:

That's not what I heard. I heard that Randle values his opt out more because he's looking for an $80 mil pay day after next year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

Quote:
$80 mil pay day after next year.

Yeah doubt that's happening.
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

If he was smart and looked at the Cavs he would have realized that his best shot at that kind of money was staying with LA and playing with Lebron for 1 yr. Look at the contracts that JR Smith and Tristan Thompson were able to hijack from the Cavs because of Lebron.

Mintz screwed over Julius.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

I'm not certain Jules is starting on the Pels with Mirotic there. AD/Mirotic fits well together and I think the Pels want to keep Mirotic long-term. So why prioritize the player that they have no Bird rights on and someone who may not be the best fit with AD in the starting lineup?

I could see Jules playing as a 6th man backing up the PF/C spots.
tmsxl
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

For anyone thinking agents don't dictate where players land, think again. Everyone is a potential pawn

Check this article from hoops hype

https://hoopshype.com/2018/07/11/nba-free-agent-agency-stories-restricted-unrestricted-rumors-trades/
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

tmsxl wrote:
For anyone thinking agents don't dictate where players land, think again. Everyone is a potential pawn

https://hoopshype.com/2018/07/11/nba-free-agent-agency-stories-restricted-unrestricted-rumors-trades/

GREAT POST! Thanks for sharing this.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

tmsxl wrote:

Wow. That's an amazing read.
captain jack
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

There maybe some competitive juices going on...but, Mintz saw the writing on the wall for Randle. Randle would soon be traded. And Paul George...people keep saying PG is from LA. He’s not, he’s from Lancaster. That’s like saying if you live in Barstow you are from LA. Actually, Lancaster is more like OKC than LA. My point...PG choosing OKC imo did not have anything to do w/friction btween Pelinka and Mintz. PG selected OKC because OKC felt like home (he’s a country boy...nothing wrong w/that) and WB.
fubby1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject:

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck....
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:

Now that we don't have any of his clients on our roster, good riddance.

My guess is this guy is radioactive to the Lakers now unless he has a MAJOR talent on his hands which I doubt he will after his "performance" this summer.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Agents do a ton for players and obviously influence them quite a bit. A real agency will have entire family teams backing them. This can consist of admin assistants who do everything from booking reservations, flights, helping the players family out with immigration, flowers for the wife, etc.. Theu also have a team of lawyers, wealth management, and some even have entire research teams.

For the agent I worked at before, they had a large team of about 15 guys who did nothing but analytics and research. They put together incredible binders of stats and correlated how much player x got paid w a certain combination of stats. This was important because it was primarily a baseball agency where the agents would bring the player’s binders to arbitration every year in St. Pete’s (I was lucky enougj to get to go).

A good agency takes care of almost everything for you. Not all of them always have your best interests in mind as they are influenced by money as they are making a good percentage off every player.
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

he would be lucky to get 50
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: