Official Tennis Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 58680

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject:

14-6 isn't a bad record though. This is elite comp, he's facing all top 50 ATP players mostly. He's just not at that level at the moment. It doesn't take a lot for Djoker to switch gears and get a flow going.

French has always been a tough slam for him to win anyway.

He's still a contender at the US, Wimbledon and Australia for another year before I'd say he's done.

Some of this is also Nadal. With Nadal not pushing him for the record, Djoker sort of sits alone at the top of the mountain with 24 slams. Nadal had 22 first, but Djoker knows Nadal ain't getting to 24.

Speaking of him, what a raw deal for both Nadal and Zverev. First round, drawing Nadal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16501

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 5:24 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
14-6 isn't a bad record though.


It’s hard to be worse for a guy Djokovic’s caliber. Since he hasn’t won a title this yr, that means he’s entered 6 events and lost all 6.

He was 5-1 at the Australian Open, reaching and losing in the Semis.

In the other 5 subsequent events, he’s been 9-5.

That’s averaging around 2 wins per tournament then he bows out.

It’s not a good sign.

Quote:
He's still a contender at the US, Wimbledon and Australia for another year before I'd say he's done.


Yeah, I’m not definitively saying he’s done. I’m saying this could very well be the beginning of the end of his reign. I hope not, but it’s not a good sign.

And for sure, even if he is slipping, he could hang around like Federer and steal a grand slam here and there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2012
Posts: 2577

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject:

Looking grim for Nadal at this time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 39107

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2024 8:57 am    Post subject:

Eliminated at the tournament he pretty much owns. Time to hang it up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16501

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Novak Djokovic withdraws from French Open due to knee
play

PARIS, France -- Novak Djokovic has been forced to withdraw from his French Open quarterfinal against Casper Ruud due to the knee injury he aggravated in his fourth-round win.

The move ends his title defense and means he will relinquish the No. 1 ranking.


Yeah, he’s alot closer to the end than we thought.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 32961
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Novak Djokovic withdraws from French Open due to knee
play

PARIS, France -- Novak Djokovic has been forced to withdraw from his French Open quarterfinal against Casper Ruud due to the knee injury he aggravated in his fourth-round win.

The move ends his title defense and means he will relinquish the No. 1 ranking.


Yeah, he’s alot closer to the end than we thought.


Apparently it's a meniscus injury. Wimbledon is in less than a month. Is he even going to be ready for that? It's just like with Serena, when she won her last major, no one thought at the time that it would be her last one. Could be the same for the Djoker here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 26 Apr 2004
Posts: 17386
Location: In a no-ship

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:21 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Novak Djokovic withdraws from French Open due to knee
play

PARIS, France -- Novak Djokovic has been forced to withdraw from his French Open quarterfinal against Casper Ruud due to the knee injury he aggravated in his fourth-round win.

The move ends his title defense and means he will relinquish the No. 1 ranking.


Yeah, he’s alot closer to the end than we thought.


Apparently it's a meniscus injury. Wimbledon is in less than a month. Is he even going to be ready for that? It's just like with Serena, when she won her last major, no one thought at the time that it would be her last one. Could be the same for the Djoker here.


Father time is undefeated. The body just doesn't recover as quickly as it did when these legends were in their 20's. It doesn't help that tennis schedules some of these matches so late that guys are finishing at like 3:30 a.m.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 32961
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Novak Djokovic withdraws from French Open due to knee
play

PARIS, France -- Novak Djokovic has been forced to withdraw from his French Open quarterfinal against Casper Ruud due to the knee injury he aggravated in his fourth-round win.

The move ends his title defense and means he will relinquish the No. 1 ranking.


Yeah, he’s alot closer to the end than we thought.


Apparently it's a meniscus injury. Wimbledon is in less than a month. Is he even going to be ready for that? It's just like with Serena, when she won her last major, no one thought at the time that it would be her last one. Could be the same for the Djoker here.


Father time is undefeated. The body just doesn't recover as quickly as it did when these legends were in their 20's. It doesn't help that tennis schedules some of these matches so late that guys are finishing at like 3:30 a.m.


Yeah I guess they've had rain there for much of the tournament, including on that day where Djokovic played until past 3AM, and they only have 1 court with a roof where they can play through rain, the main show court (Phillippe Chatrier). So that day became very tough to get all the matches in, and they tried to move things around to get the biggest matches done on the same day. Had they not started that Djokovic match so late, it would have had to be pushed to the next day, and then at some point he would have had to play on no days of rest. Just a tough situation.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2012
Posts: 2577

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Novak Djokovic withdraws from French Open due to knee
play

PARIS, France -- Novak Djokovic has been forced to withdraw from his French Open quarterfinal against Casper Ruud due to the knee injury he aggravated in his fourth-round win.

The move ends his title defense and means he will relinquish the No. 1 ranking.


Yeah, he’s alot closer to the end than we thought.


Apparently it's a meniscus injury. Wimbledon is in less than a month. Is he even going to be ready for that? It's just like with Serena, when she won her last major, no one thought at the time that it would be her last one. Could be the same for the Djoker here.

You got his number 1 goal probably for the season in between the French and Wimbledon, i.e. the Olympics. It's brutal last season. I don't think he ever had a knee injury. He could come back but the GOAT level may be gone for good if knee issues have to be managed. Anyway, Alcaraz and Sinner can carry the torch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 32961
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2024 10:40 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Novak Djokovic withdraws from French Open due to knee
play

PARIS, France -- Novak Djokovic has been forced to withdraw from his French Open quarterfinal against Casper Ruud due to the knee injury he aggravated in his fourth-round win.

The move ends his title defense and means he will relinquish the No. 1 ranking.


Yeah, he’s alot closer to the end than we thought.


Apparently it's a meniscus injury. Wimbledon is in less than a month. Is he even going to be ready for that? It's just like with Serena, when she won her last major, no one thought at the time that it would be her last one. Could be the same for the Djoker here.

You got his number 1 goal probably for the season in between the French and Wimbledon, i.e. the Olympics. It's brutal last season. I don't think he ever had a knee injury. He could come back but the GOAT level may be gone for good if knee issues have to be managed. Anyway, Alcaraz and Sinner can carry the torch.


I'd like to see Sinner win, and keep winning. Forza Italia!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Aug 2015
Posts: 18002

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:15 am    Post subject:

Novak is the last one standing. It will be a while if ever before we see fed, Rafa, Novak again. Let alone together. Mens tennis just went through an epic era.
_________________
Kobe.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Clw9scopegx/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16501

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:16 am    Post subject:

Yeah Djokivic might be done (winning grand slams or the Olympics):

Quote:
Source: Novak Djokovic to have surgery; Wimbledon doubtful


Novak Djokovic will undergo surgery on his torn meniscus in Paris on Wednesday, a source told ESPN, confirming multiple reports, which will put his status for Wimbledon in doubt.

Djokovic tore the meniscus in his right knee during his fourth-round match against Francisco Cerundolo. He played on through the pain and won in five sets but was left unsure of the damage done to his knee.

He underwent an MRI in Paris on Tuesday that confirmed the meniscus tear, causing the 24-time Grand Slam winner to withdraw from the tournament.

The injury requires surgery, and the recovery time frame means Djokovic faces a race against time to be fit for Wimbledon, which begins July 1. The likelihood is that Djokovic will skip the grass-court swing to focus on playing at the Paris Olympics; the Olympic tennis tournament is set to begin July 27.


He was already playing poorly this year. Couple that with a knee injury surgery + recovery?

Yeah, I can’t see him winning again this year: (Paris or US Open).

His next best chance will have to be AO 2025.

Yeah, I think the following factors really contributed to his knee injury:

Quote:
- older now, weaker legs, probably less flexibility
- not playing as well which leads to longer matches
- that 3am match probably wore his body out and he never recovered
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2012
Posts: 2577

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Novak Djokovic withdraws from French Open due to knee
play

PARIS, France -- Novak Djokovic has been forced to withdraw from his French Open quarterfinal against Casper Ruud due to the knee injury he aggravated in his fourth-round win.

The move ends his title defense and means he will relinquish the No. 1 ranking.


Yeah, he’s alot closer to the end than we thought.


Apparently it's a meniscus injury. Wimbledon is in less than a month. Is he even going to be ready for that? It's just like with Serena, when she won her last major, no one thought at the time that it would be her last one. Could be the same for the Djoker here.

You got his number 1 goal probably for the season in between the French and Wimbledon, i.e. the Olympics. It's brutal last season. I don't think he ever had a knee injury. He could come back but the GOAT level may be gone for good if knee issues have to be managed. Anyway, Alcaraz and Sinner can carry the torch.

Correction to the bold part - Wimbledon is in early July, but Olympics is later at end of July.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2012
Posts: 2577

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:40 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Yeah Djokivic might be done (winning grand slams or the Olympics):

Quote:
Source: Novak Djokovic to have surgery; Wimbledon doubtful


Novak Djokovic will undergo surgery on his torn meniscus in Paris on Wednesday, a source told ESPN, confirming multiple reports, which will put his status for Wimbledon in doubt.

Djokovic tore the meniscus in his right knee during his fourth-round match against Francisco Cerundolo. He played on through the pain and won in five sets but was left unsure of the damage done to his knee.

He underwent an MRI in Paris on Tuesday that confirmed the meniscus tear, causing the 24-time Grand Slam winner to withdraw from the tournament.

The injury requires surgery, and the recovery time frame means Djokovic faces a race against time to be fit for Wimbledon, which begins July 1. The likelihood is that Djokovic will skip the grass-court swing to focus on playing at the Paris Olympics; the Olympic tennis tournament is set to begin July 27.


He was already playing poorly this year. Couple that with a knee injury surgery + recovery?

Yeah, I can’t see him winning again this year: (Paris or US Open).

His next best chance will have to be AO 2025.

Yeah, I think the following factors really contributed to his knee injury:

Quote:
- older now, weaker legs, probably less flexibility
- not playing as well which leads to longer matches
- that 3am match probably wore his body out and he never recovered

It would be great if he still has the ability to compete for Slams by the Australian. I just wonder if he physically can, and even before this injury wondered whether he mentally wants to play another whole season, be away from young kids growing up plus long grind. I thnk he's having surgery to give him a chance to play in Olympics giving his all, no matter what consequences may be for his tennis beyond that. Speculating, but I think the Olympics is about the only real thing he sees that matters after securing the GOAT spot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16501

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
It would be great if he still has the ability to compete for Slams by the Australian. I just wonder if he physically can, and even before this injury wondered whether he mentally wants to play another whole season, be away from young kids growing up plus long grind. I thnk he's having surgery to give him a chance to play in Olympics giving his all, no matter what consequences may be for his tennis beyond that. Speculating, but I think the Olympics is about the only real thing he sees that matters after securing the GOAT spot.


That’s interesting. I never thought tennis players cared that much about the Olympics.

It’s never ever mentioned when comparing careers.

For instance, I have no idea if Djokovic, Federer or Nadal ever won a gold medal.

I think I remember Murray winning one, that’s it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2012
Posts: 2577

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:34 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
focus wrote:
It would be great if he still has the ability to compete for Slams by the Australian. I just wonder if he physically can, and even before this injury wondered whether he mentally wants to play another whole season, be away from young kids growing up plus long grind. I thnk he's having surgery to give him a chance to play in Olympics giving his all, no matter what consequences may be for his tennis beyond that. Speculating, but I think the Olympics is about the only real thing he sees that matters after securing the GOAT spot.


That’s interesting. I never thought tennis players cared that much about the Olympics.

It’s never ever mentioned when comparing careers.

For instance, I have no idea if Djokovic, Federer or Nadal ever won a gold medal.

I think I remember Murray winning one, that’s it.

They totally do yes. Nadal has won gold in both singles and doubles, Federer has a singles silver (lost to Andy Murray in final) and a doubles gold. Djokovic only has 1 bronze in singles won early in career. Surprising losses led to no other. He's never gonna win in doubles bc his countrymen are not that great (he bailed on his mixed doubles partner in last Olympics after blowing the chance to even medal in singles - bad). Surprising that he could not even get the bronze again since way back in 2008 when he was on the way up. It's a big hole for such a nationalist like him. But there have only been three olympics since I guess.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 32961
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject:

^
Yeah, he went to the last Olympics trying to win the Gold even though he had bagged the first 3 majors of that year, remember? I remember stating that I thought it was a huge mistake to expend that much energy with a possible Grand Slam at stake at the U.S. Open. He flamed out at the Olympics, and then looked like he was running on fumes in New York, getting to the final but clearly not looking like himself. Then Medvedev pasted him because he couldn't run that day.

I think he wants it to say that he "did everything." Plus, in 30-40 years, that may be seen as a big-time achievement. Kind of like how when the top pros routinely skipped the AO before the mid-1980's (and even later). That tournament just wasn't seen as being very prestigious back then. If they had known how much winning Slams meant to a player's legacy, and if they had any inkling that any Grand Slam title basically meant just as much to your legacy, yeah, you wouldn't have seen players (both men and women) skipping it decades ago.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2012
Posts: 16501

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Iga Swiatek overwhelms Coco Gauff to reach French Open final


Swiatek: “I am her!”


………………..

Born: May 2001 (23 yrs old)

Grand Slams: 4

Quote:
Świątek is a four-time major singles champion, having won the French Open in 2020, 2022, and 2023 and the US Open in 2022.


Man, female Nadal?

What happened in 2021?

Quote:
How Nadal's style and technique helped shape Swiatek’s clay-court dominance


Growing up, Iga Swiatek was captivated by Rafael Nadal's playing style, and now, she's dominating the clay courts with her own spin.

……

They are separated by 15 years, but Nadal and Swiatek are mirror images (from the left and right sides) in so many ways. Appropriately, they both have birthdays that fall during the Roland Garros fortnight. And clay, which slows things down and is physically demanding, is their favorite surface.

……

Nadal won his first in 2005, only two days after his 19th birthday, and his fourth just after his 22nd.

Swiatek, also aged 19, won her first in 2020, when the worldwide pandemic pushed the competition to the fall. Her record at Roland Garros is a sterling 28-2. If she wins here as favored, it would come eight days after her 23rd birthday. That would be four titles in five years.

It’s early in the curve -- and wildly unfair to compare anyone to Nadal, but … Swiatek is tracking a similarly unfathomable course in Paris.

…….

The single shot most responsible for Serena Williams’ 23 Grand Slam singles titles was her searing serve. It was the most feared shot in the game. On the men’s side, it was Nadal’s massive lefty forehand.

The successor to Williams’ serve is Swiatek’s forehand. Because of the incredible spin she gets on the ball, it is a heavy, potentially lethal weapon. When Swiatek won the 2020 French Open, her fastest forehand, 79 miles per hour, was exceeded only by Jannik Sinner on the ATP. Swiatek averaged the highest topspin forehand rate among women, around 3,200 revolutions per minute. There was a gasp-inducing rocket in the final against Sofia Kenin clocked at 3,453 rpm. That was a little over the average compiled that year by Nadal, whose peak forehands have registered close to 5,000 rpm.



https://www.wtatennis.com/news/4025294/how-nadal-s-style-and-technique-helped-shape-swiatek-s-clay-court-dominance#:~:text=Growing%20up%2C%20Iga%20Swiatek%20was,hour%2C%2011%2Dminute%20match.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 32961
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject:

Iga is now 10-1 vs. Coco. Just doesn't appear to be a good matchup for Coco at all.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 58680

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject:

The ironic thing is that Swiatek's forehand grip would be discouraged at most tennis instruction sources or tennis academies.

Same with Coco, but it's clear Coco's been told to follow through with textbook and it's held her forehand back. Coco's spent a bit too much time with American USTA type coaches. Swiatek just worked on making her game work. I chuckle when people talk about Coco's grip on her forehand. It's not the problem, it's her approach to the shot. She's got a very topspinny grip while she's trying to drive balls through it like she's Serena.

You have to let players develop their own feel on grip and follow. Recall Toni Nadal saying many told him to discourage Nadal from the forehand he was doing (over the head follow/lasso).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 32961
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:27 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The ironic thing is that Swiatek's forehand grip would be discouraged at most tennis instruction sources or tennis academies.

Same with Coco, but it's clear Coco's been told to follow through with textbook and it's held her forehand back. Coco's spent a bit too much time with American USTA type coaches. Swiatek just worked on making her game work. I chuckle when people talk about Coco's grip on her forehand. It's not the problem, it's her approach to the shot. She's got a very topspinny grip while she's trying to drive balls through it like she's Serena.

You have to let players develop their own feel on grip and follow. Recall Toni Nadal saying many told him to discourage Nadal from the forehand he was doing (over the head follow/lasso).


Totally, totally, totally agree!

As far as the matchup here, I think the issue when she plays Iga is that, usually Coco can rely on her amazing movement to cause power players to make errors. They'll make enough errors to where the match will stay close, even if Coco is getting overpowered a bit. And if someone wants to play that defensive game, well, she is more than fine with that because she feels like she can just outlast you. But Iga is kind of a cross between this. She has powerful groundies, but she's not a Sabalenka or anything. She makes far fewer errors, normally. So Coco doesn't get as many free points off her, yet she's also not dictating play.

How about an Italian woman into the final? Before this tournament, I had literally never heard of her. And she's the 12 seed!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 58680

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:26 pm    Post subject:

What's more impressive is she's 5'4.

In today's game of massive huge players, it's great to see someone like that in the Finals. I don't think she can beat Iga on clay, but still kudos to her. Big heart, big game > size.

On the men's likely winner is the survivor the Alcy-Sinner battle, but my heart wants Ruud to get a W on clay. He's been in a few finals. He has the right tactics on clay. Plays hard. Great dude. Classy. Want him to get 1 because Alcaraz and Sinner will be feasting on slams over the next 5 years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 32961
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:53 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
What's more impressive is she's 5'4.

In today's game of massive huge players, it's great to see someone like that in the Finals. I don't think she can beat Iga on clay, but still kudos to her. Big heart, big game > size.

On the men's likely winner is the survivor the Alcy-Sinner battle, but my heart wants Ruud to get a W on clay. He's been in a few finals. He has the right tactics on clay. Plays hard. Great dude. Classy. Want him to get 1 because Alcaraz and Sinner will be feasting on slams over the next 5 years.


I know that this is often the stage where Zverev doesn't get it done, but he's been playing really well and he is good on clay. I wouldn't count him out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 58680

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Wasn't overlooking Zverev, he may in fact win that one, but moreso who I am rooting for on the mens side. Hoping Ruud can get 1. He's been very good on clay, and has the right tactics.

I miss the old school tennis days where there were guys like Muster, Brugera, etc to offset the Sampras, Becker crash the net guys and of course the baseline dominant style players (that is now the most common type of player) Agassi. Just isn't a lot of variety in tennis these days. It seems most want to play the exact same way. Already missing Federer and Nadal a lot. Sinner and Alcaraz are great, but man it's the same ole same ole. Wish there were some contrast in styles.

Who remembers Rafter? Sampras, Rafter ... Agassi, Courier, Young Hewitt .... Muster, Kuerten, Brugera. You had so many styles of play. Until Federer played there was still some contrast left to the game with Federer bringing that old school tennis flare of Edberg/Sampras style mixed into his game. Nadal was like Muster on steriods. Now it's guys like Zverev and Medvedev bunch of giants playing like 5'6 smalls 8-10 feet behind the baseline.

No one plays aggressive take the ball early tennis. Ugh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 32961
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:01 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Wasn't overlooking Zverev, he may in fact win that one, but moreso who I am rooting for on the mens side. Hoping Ruud can get 1. He's been very good on clay, and has the right tactics.

I miss the old school tennis days where there were guys like Muster, Brugera, etc to offset the Sampras, Becker crash the net guys and of course the baseline dominant style players (that is now the most common type of player) Agassi. Just isn't a lot of variety in tennis these days. It seems most want to play the exact same way. Already missing Federer and Nadal a lot. Sinner and Alcaraz are great, but man it's the same ole same ole. Wish there were some contrast in styles.

Who remembers Rafter? Sampras, Rafter ... Agassi, Courier, Young Hewitt .... Muster, Kuerten, Brugera. You had so many styles of play. Until Federer played there was still some contrast left to the game with Federer bringing that old school tennis flare of Edberg/Sampras style mixed into his game. Nadal was like Muster on steriods. Now it's guys like Zverev and Medvedev bunch of giants playing like 5'6 smalls 8-10 feet behind the baseline.

No one plays aggressive take the ball early tennis. Ugh.


The technology on the rackets now makes it really hard to play that aggressive, net-rushing style of tennis. Guys have become so good at hitting groundstrokes that for the most part, if you give these guys a target at the net, hitting passing shots just becomes too easy for them. Also, the courts play slower. Even the grass at Wimbledon plays slower now. The balls too, I think. Everything is just geared to hitting the ball from the baseline, and almost all of the top players who win majors are guys who not only do that, but who are premium defenders as well.

Rafter was really good, yes. His battles with Agassi at majors were great to watch, and it brought out the best in both guys. I remain gutted to this day over a Wimbledon semifinals loss that Agassi had to Rafter in 5 sets, and as Sampras had lost, it would have been Agassi vs. Ivanisevic again in the final, and Agassi had already beaten him once and I think he could have done so again. I also remember an Australian Open match where Agassi made 12 unforced errors for the entire match and only won it in 5 sets. His strategy was to make Rafter just keep playing every ball, point after point, and giving away nothing. And Rafter was up to the task, with a brilliant display of winner after winner, and it took Andre the full allotment of sets to finally dispatch him. This was a year, 2001, where Andre handily beat Arnaud Clement in the final, losing only 8 games in total.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 24 of 27
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB