Should the Lakers tank the first play-in game to avoid Denver?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Tank the play-in game against New Orleans to avoid Denver?
Yes
15%
 15%  [ 13 ]
No
84%
 84%  [ 71 ]
Total Votes : 84

Author Message
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 35842
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Should the Lakers tank the first play-in game to avoid Denver?

Should the Lakers intentionally lose against New Orleans and then play GSW/Sacramento for the #8 seed, and then play OKC?
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dominic1981
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 09 Feb 2022
Posts: 892

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject:

No because there’s a far greater chance of GS/Sac beating the Lakers than NO beating them
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 11792

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:10 pm    Post subject:

the fudge? I was thinking about that scenario just now except GSW is probably better than 6 to 10 in the West. Why would we risk an elimination game against such a foe? Yea, we have no choice but to find a way to overcome Denver. Facing OKC would have been "the dream" but I don't wanna play a game 7 against GSW.

Kings are done I think. With Monk, they're a torn on the Lakers side but without Monk, I don't think they could beat GSW.
_________________
LeGoat! LeMazing! LeGend!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VindicatioN
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Aug 2004
Posts: 1860

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Dominic1981 wrote:
No because there’s a far greater chance of GS/Sac beating the Lakers than NO beating them


What do the chances of NO beating them have to do with this poll?? lol

If this were a Kobe led squad, I wouldn't care who we drew in the 1st round, but since it's not, I vote yes, we tank first play-in game and shoot for 8th spot.

I'll take my chances in a 1 game (at home) do or die vs GS/Sac, then a 7 game series with Denver.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 39485

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Lol knew this was coming
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 35842
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Minnesota seems to be the team best equipped to stop Jokic with their twin towers, which is ironically what we had in 2020 vs them.

So we could potentially play OKC round 1, Dallas/Clippers round 2. And then hopefully Minnesota in the conference finals after they knock out Denver.

Other side of the bracket would be Denver round 1, Minnesota/Phoenix round 2.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 35842
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject:

VindicatioN wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:
No because there’s a far greater chance of GS/Sac beating the Lakers than NO beating them


What do the chances of NO beating them have to do with this poll?? lol

If this were a Kobe led squad, I wouldn't care who we drew in the 1st round, but since it's not, I vote yes, we tank first play-in game and shoot for 8th spot.

I'll take my chances in a 1 game (at home) do or die vs GS/Sac, then a 7 game series with Denver.


Yes, the choice is basically: “Do we have a better chance of beating Sacramento/GSW or Denver?”

We won’t beat Denver, so who cares even if we happen to lose the GSW/Sacramento game?
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 29320
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Nevermind.
_________________
"Every hurt is a lesson, and every lesson makes you better”


Last edited by kikanga on Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 11792

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:17 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Minnesota seems to be the team best equipped to stop Jokic with their twin towers, which is ironically what we had in 2020 vs them.

So we could potentially play OKC round 1, Dallas/Clippers round 2. And then hopefully Minnesota in the conference finals after they knock out Denver.

Other side of the bracket would be Denver round 1, Minnesota/Phoenix round 2.


Denver match up poorly against a few teams in the West. Kings really owned them when they still had Monk. That's why I didn't want to face Denver right away and just let some other WC powerhouse take them out for us. Then we could take out the rest because nobody matches up well against us except Denver and Queens.
_________________
LeGoat! LeMazing! LeGend!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 25092

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject:

We not good enough to tank a game lol
_________________
“The main goal for the Lakers is to win a championship. All I care about, all we care about, is to raise another banner in the rafters.“
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 6775

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Lebron/AD wants Denver
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
D-Shiznit
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Feb 2014
Posts: 1735

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:20 pm    Post subject:

B**** mentality.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 11792

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:22 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Lebron/AD wants Denver


Didn't AD want Denver too after the trashtalking they did after eliminating us last season? And then we went 0-4 against them in the regular season. AD should just stay quiet and let the game speak for itself.
_________________
LeGoat! LeMazing! LeGend!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2005
Posts: 8678
Location: Irvine

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject:

I don't trust them to beat Sac or GS, so no
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 23152

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Hell NO
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 30690

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
VindicatioN wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:
No because there’s a far greater chance of GS/Sac beating the Lakers than NO beating them


What do the chances of NO beating them have to do with this poll?? lol

If this were a Kobe led squad, I wouldn't care who we drew in the 1st round, but since it's not, I vote yes, we tank first play-in game and shoot for 8th spot.

I'll take my chances in a 1 game (at home) do or die vs GS/Sac, then a 7 game series with Denver.


Yes, the choice is basically: “Do we have a better chance of beating Sacramento/GSW or Denver?”

We won’t beat Denver, so who cares even if we happen to lose the GSW/Sacramento game?


I take it competition isn't something you're a fan of.
_________________
KOBE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 6775

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Lebron/AD wants Denver


Didn't AD want Denver too after the trashtalking they did after eliminating us last season? And then we went 0-4 against them in the regular season. AD should just stay quiet and let the game speak for itself.


They should make them want them more now after that. Good time to shut all the haters.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 11792

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:27 pm    Post subject:

I have faith in AD giving 110%. It's just that it might not be enough. Ham needs to "outsmart" Mike Malone like a chess game. Maybe Ham should call up the zenmaster and ask him for some pointers.

Sometimes, I just feel it's futile. Meaning because of the matchup problems, we simply wouldn't be able to overcome it. Just like how we would handle New Orleans so easily today because we don't have matchup issue against them. CJ isn't running circles around us like Fox and Murray.
_________________
LeGoat! LeMazing! LeGend!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Posts: 4298

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Ideally we need to avoid Denver. We got the worst 2 matchups back to back - Denver and then Phoenix (although we can get Phoenix). This kind of killer defense works on everyone EXCEPT Denver.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jul 2010
Posts: 2382

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:31 pm    Post subject:

LBJ is healthy right now (and hopefully AD). This is the best time to play Denver

Plus one of the theories the Lakers couldn't compete against Denver last year was LBJ wasn't healthy.

If the Lakers beat them, it would strengthen this theory.

And if Minny and OKC are the next round opponents, I like their chances.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Posts: 4298

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
LBJ is healthy right now (and hopefully AD). This is the best time to play Denver

Plus one of the theories the Lakers couldn't compete against Denver last year was LBJ wasn't healthy.

If the Lakers beat them, it would strengthen this theory.

And if Minny and OKC are the next round opponents, I like their chances.


Its going to be Phoenix.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 23152

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:32 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Ideally we need to avoid Denver. We got the worst 2 matchups back to back - Denver and then Phoenix (although we can get Phoenix). This kind of killer defense works on everyone EXCEPT Denver.

The west is just tough, there are no easy paths. Don’t sound like OKV/LAC/DAL are freebies . They are all good teams with superstars known to show up in the playoffs. In fact, I am taking PHX to upset Minny right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Sep 2008
Posts: 21075
Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject:

Win every game and duck nobody if you want to consider yourself a title team. Beat Denver don't duck them, and if you can't, go home and re-tool for next season.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Jan 2016
Posts: 11792

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:33 pm    Post subject:

How is KCP shooting over 40% from three this season? He was shooting in the low thirties when he was with us and he was getting the same open looks.

I hate Denver so much!!!! It's like they were built to beat us!

DLO needs to go beastmode!!! We can OUTSCORE them. We will score on every possession!!
_________________
LeGoat! LeMazing! LeGend!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Sina
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2015
Posts: 1806

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:35 pm    Post subject:

[quote="TooMuchMajicBuss"]Win every game and duck nobody if you want to consider yourself a title team. Beat Denver don't duck them, and if you can't, go home and re-tool for next season.[/quote]

Exactly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB