Official JEANIE BUSS Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
SELL THE (bleep) TEAM.

You are no different than Dolan, Steinbrenner Jr or the other kid owners.

I agree, love for her to sell it it’s not because of the Irving deal, make that clear. I am celebrating we didn’t waste our future FRPs + Reaves and/or Christie for a dude so unstable, will likely bolt this summer.
Bravo to the front office for putting what they thought was the best deal and let the cards fall where they fall.
Mavs had the beat available player in the deal, that’s what the Nets wanted.
Nothing the Lakers could do about that.

Oh this has nothing to do with Kyrie and everything to do with the past 2 seasons.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject:

This deadline is going to be critical for her. They need to get something done. And if nothing happens, and the perception is because she wasn't willing to pay, I don't think there is any recovering.

In that scenario they will likely head into the summer knowing they will need to move Lebron and AD. Without much of any cap space, thanks to Rui's 18.8m cap hold, and those two being under contract. And while dealing with the rest of the team other than Max Christie and Damian Jones being free agents.

They'd be at rock bottom with a tarnished reputation.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
This deadline is going to be critical for her. They need to get something done. And if nothing happens, and the perception is because she wasn't willing to pay, I don't think there is any recovering.

In that scenario they will likely head into the summer knowing they will need to move Lebron and AD. Without much of any cap space, thanks to Rui's 18.8m cap hold, and those two being under contract. And while dealing with the rest of the team other than Max Christie and Damian Jones being free agents.

They'd be at rock bottom with a tarnished reputation.

I don't think they will trade LeBron and AD next year no matter what happens at the trade deadline this year.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I don't think they will trade LeBron and AD next year no matter what happens at the trade deadline this year.

I think if they make no moves, the damage between Klutch and the front office will be beyond repair. Sure, they could hold on to them anyway. The noise would grow louder and louder though. And the Lakers would really have fewer options to improve the team with what $11.5m maximum in cap space, and only AD, Lebron, Christie, and Jones under contract? Furthermore, with only the bird rights on Reaves?

Lebron may like L.A., but I can't see him spending another season on what would surely be an even worse Laker team.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I think if they make no moves, the damage between Klutch and the front office will be beyond repair. Sure, they could hold on to them anyway. The noise would grow louder and louder though. And the Lakers would really have fewer options to improve the team with what $11.5m maximum in cap space, and only AD, Lebron, Christie, and Jones under contract? Furthermore, with only the bird rights on Reaves?

Lebron may like L.A., but I can't see him spending another season on what would surely be an even worse Laker team.

LeBron is signed here next year and then he has an option the following year for 50 million. I don't see us trading him and I don't see him opting out, so I would be surprised if he is not here for the next two seasons.

As far as the "damage" between us and Klutch, I don't think that really matters. They'll always be willing to work with the Lakers if they can make a deal to the benefit of their clients. Making Klutch happy shouldn't be a big issue for the Lakers
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LeBron is signed here next year and then he has an option the following year for 50 million. I don't see us trading him and I don't see him opting out, so I would be surprised if he is not here for the next two seasons.

I think Lebron has been remarkably quiet considering the situation. They promised him to do anything in their power to improve the team. They haven't to date. He's given them room in the press, but if the deadline passes without a move, I'd expect the noise he created at the All-Star game last season, to be much more amplified this year.

Sure, he's under contract. And he's not going to sit games when he has a chance to add to his all-time numbers. But he can be vocal. He can be a problem. And as he does that will continue to damage the Lakers reputation. That matters. I can't see them holding him hostage for 2 years if he's making it known he wants out. That wouldn't be smart from a reputation standpoint, nor from a franchise standpoint. If the team is going nowhere, and the front office isn't willing to improve that, then why keep Lebron and AD?

They already have their television contract. They don't get any extra from jersey sales. All they would get is the distraction. Where if they trade Lebron and AD they at least get assets.

So from my perspective unless they make a splash in the next few days (pre-deadline) they will lose Lebron. I get that he likes L.A., and his family is here. But he likes his legacy more. And closing your career missing the playoffs year after year is not going to do harm to that. Easy solution, demand a trade this summer, put all the blame on the front office.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I think Lebron has been remarkably quiet considering the situation. They promised him to do anything in their power to improve the team. They haven't to date. He's given them room in the press, but if the deadline passes without a move, I'd expect the noise he created at the All-Star game last season, to be much more amplified this year.

Sure, he's under contract. And he's not going to sit games when he has a chance to add to his all-time numbers. But he can be vocal. He can be a problem. And as he does that will continue to damage the Lakers reputation. That matters. I can't see them holding him hostage for 2 years if he's making it known he wants out. That wouldn't be smart from a reputation standpoint, nor from a franchise standpoint. If the team is going nowhere, and the front office isn't willing to improve that, then why keep Lebron and AD?

They already have their television contract. They don't get any extra from jersey sales. All they would get is the distraction. Where if they trade Lebron and AD they at least get assets.

So from my perspective unless they make a splash in the next few days (pre-deadline) they will lose Lebron. I get that he likes L.A., and his family is here. But he likes his legacy more. And closing your career missing the playoffs year after year is not going to do harm to that. Easy solution, demand a trade this summer, put all the blame on the front office.

epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject:

Good try on the Kyrie trade. Surprised both picks were offered, but looking forward to who we get before the deadline.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

That's all you got? Who am I kidding? Of course it is.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:07 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Halflife wrote:

It’s silly. Another woah is bron post. Seemingly written by a young fan.

Hopefully he requests a trade. Getting 50 million back in assets would be great.

Not winning with him and Ad anyway.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Halflife wrote:

By a young fan? Lol. I've been a Lakers fan since the beginning of Showtime.

The fact of the matter is there is no way Dr. Buss would have allowed such a shoddy product to be rolled out there when he had two superstars on his team. He would have either made moves to improve the roster, or he would have traded players to accelerate the rebuild.

End of the Magic era... One year out of the playoffs. End of the Shaq era... One year out of the playoffs and 4 years to be back in the Finals. Now to be fair to the front office, the end of the Kobe era was different. It began when Kobe and Nash got hurt, and Howard bailed. That was all after Dr. Buss' passing. So we don't really know exactly how he would have handled things. It's hard to imagine he would have handled things this poorly though and allowed the Lakers brand to be a laughing stock the past two seasons. A team with multiple hall of famers, who is struggling to even make the play in.

This is about Jeanie.

Quote:

I've said since before the season began I would be fine with them blowing it up if they don't think they can win with them. But by all reports they don't seem ready to do that. If that's the case the only other option is to build a winning team around them. They have failed to accomplish that.

Do you honestly think the Lakers want the bad press of Lebron trashing the franchise over All-Star Weekend and then demanding a trade, right at the time he's breaking the all-time scoring record? Of course not. It's a bad look.

Especially if the context of that is they traded for Westbrook, didn't make a move at the deadline last season despite the players and coaches all but asking for it. Didn't make any substantial trades over the summer, then went through the season without making any major trades. That will feed into the narrative that Klutch puts out there. I mean, look at how much the sports casters defended Westbrook when he was struggling, saying things like how they hate what the Lakers have done to Westbrook, etc. Then when he has played a little better, but still subpar, they continue to talk him up. You don't think the media is going to side with Lebron in that situation? And that's my point.

Now it could be a moot point because the deadline isn't here yet. If it passes though I'd expect Klutch to up the heat because they don't want their clients taking the blame. And that will be what we hear about from now until those guys are traded. If they get moved and their new team has success, expect to hear about this repeatedly in the news. It's brand damaging.
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:32 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Halflife wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Halflife wrote:

By a young fan? Lol. I've been a Lakers fan since the beginning of Showtime.

The fact of the matter is there is no way Dr. Buss would have allowed such a shoddy product to be rolled out there when he had two superstars on his team. He would have either made moves to improve the roster, or he would have traded players to accelerate the rebuild.

End of the Magic era... One year out of the playoffs. End of the Shaq era... One year out of the playoffs and 4 years to be back in the Finals. Now to be fair to the front office, the end of the Kobe era was different. It began when Kobe and Nash got hurt, and Howard bailed. That was all after Dr. Buss' passing. So we don't really know exactly how he would have handled things. It's hard to imagine he would have handled things this poorly though and allowed the Lakers brand to be a laughing stock the past two seasons. A team with multiple hall of famers, who is struggling to even make the play in.

This is about Jeanie.

Quote:

I've said since before the season began I would be fine with them blowing it up if they don't think they can win with them. But by all reports they don't seem ready to do that. If that's the case the only other option is to build a winning team around them. They have failed to accomplish that.

Do you honestly think the Lakers want the bad press of Lebron trashing the franchise over All-Star Weekend and then demanding a trade, right at the time he's breaking the all-time scoring record? Of course not. It's a bad look.

Especially if the context of that is they traded for Westbrook, didn't make a move at the deadline last season despite the players and coaches all but asking for it. Didn't make any substantial trades over the summer, then went through the season without making any major trades. That will feed into the narrative that Klutch puts out there. I mean, look at how much the sports casters defended Westbrook when he was struggling, saying things like how they hate what the Lakers have done to Westbrook, etc. Then when he has played a little better, but still subpar, they continue to talk him up. You don't think the media is going to side with Lebron in that situation? And that's my point.

Now it could be a moot point because the deadline isn't here yet. If it passes though I'd expect Klutch to up the heat because they don't want their clients taking the blame. And that will be what we hear about from now until those guys are traded. If they get moved and their new team has success, expect to hear about this repeatedly in the news. It's brand damaging.

The clown you’re arguing with is a Westbrook apologist and actually said that Austin Reaves is better than LeBron. Why bother?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:

I would be shocked if Lebron demanded a trade. He's a guy who has controlled his destiny most of his career, and I don't see him publicly making a demand that could be declined. Or putting himself in a position where he publicaly demands to be demanded, is refused, and then opts into the $50 million on his final year because he likes the $$.

Lebron will agitate, but he'll do it in his patently passive-aggressive style.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:56 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
activeverb wrote:

After hearing about the particulars of the Nets/Kyrie trade negotiations, do you still feel the same way about the FO? That they haven't done evrything in their power to improve the team?

And, this isn't me trying to (bleep) on your opinion. I just think that we as fans read too much into things, without knowing what's really happening. We're reading tea leaves, and projecting our own narrative to fit our personal view point. You don't like the coach and/or FO? Everything they do is bad. Love the coach and/or FO? They can do no wrong. There's more nuance to that than people choose to see/discuss. I'm sure I'm guilty of it myself, not trying to sound high and mighty lol.

Criticism is fine. Its the constant demagoguery that we could stand to have less of, imo.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
activeverb wrote:

After hearing about the particulars of the Nets/Kyrie trade negotiations, do you still feel the same way about the FO? That they haven't done evrything in their power to improve the team?

And, this isn't me trying to (bleep) on your opinion. I just think that we as fans read too much into things, without knowing what's really happening. We're reading tea leaves, and projecting our own narrative to fit our personal view point. You don't like the coach and/or FO? Everything they do is bad. Love the coach and/or FO? They can do no wrong. There's more nuance to that than people choose to see/discuss. I'm sure I'm guilty of it myself, not trying to sound high and mighty lol.

Criticism is fine. Its the constant demagoguery that we could stand to have less of, imo.

I think people get too hung up on "the promise" they think Rob made to Lebron. When you look at all the caveats he attached, the promise was really: We'll do the best we can to find moves that make sense. It was pretty meaningless.

So while I think judging Rob based on "the promise" doesn't make sense, judging him based on the team he is able to put together is fair.

As far as Irving: Based on the reporting I've seen, it looks like the Lakers made a good-faith effort to get him. I have no idea if the Nets would have traded him to us under any circumstances. And I also recognize that trading for Irving brought a lot of risk. So, I don't think us failing to get him is the scarlet letter than some others want to pin on Rob.

Ultimately, I don't think we'll ever know what deals were actually possible that the Lakers passed on. So getting worked up about missed possibilities doesn't make much sense to me. However, I think it's fair to criticize Rob for painted himself into a corner where there aren't easy, no-dub choices to get out of the predictament.

Last edited by activeverb on Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:

If the recent reports are true with the pick swaps and everything else, I think it would have been an overpay, considering they would also have had to extend him.

If you go back to where I entered this conversation was though, my comments weren't directly about them losing out on Irving. This is what I said.

Quote:

I think Kyrie being available was an opportunity. But it wasn't the only opportunity available in the league all season.

There have been moves available. They've bided their team waiting on the deadline to see what is available. At the end of the day though the front office has to do what they can to put a winning team on the court. Rebuilding is acceptable, but not when you have a late pick and superstars under contract.

They have to get something done. Even if that something is a smaller move or two. Because failing to do so will put them in an even worse situation next season. They have some big expiring contracts in Russ and Beverley. They need to turn at least one of those into something or they have failed.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:49 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:

If the recent reports are true with the pick swaps and everything else, I think it would have been an overpay, considering they would also have had to extend him.

If you go back to where I entered this conversation was though, my comments weren't directly about them losing out on Irving. This is what I said.

Quote:

A lot of people (certainly a lot of LGers) already think Jeanie is an incompetent dufus who is just riding on her father's coattails. I don't think that perception is going to change.

Even if they had made the Irving deal, there would be tons of naysayers. And if Irving hadn't worked out, getting him would just be seen as more of Jeanie's incompetence.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:09 am    Post subject:

Buss family, cash out sell the team - get your 6 billion.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject:

Lets get back to the subject at hand.

Jeanie Buss is a bimbo.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject:

Shout out to Jeanie Buss. It seems her and the team is learning from past mistakes. Keep growing and pushing the franchise in the right direction.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Shout out to Jeanie Buss. It seems her and the team is learning from past mistakes. Keep growing and pushing the franchise in the right direction.

Not so sure if we're heading in the right direction right now, unless missing the play-in with a roster of Lebron, AD, and Westbrook, 2 years after being NBA Champions, qualifies.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

Not so sure if we're heading in the right direction right now, unless missing the play-in with a roster of Lebron, AD, and Westbrook, 2 years after being NBA Champions, qualifies.

Not making the stupid deal that Tsai and the Nets wanted yesterday for Irving absolutely qualifies. Regardless of what move they may still make this week, its the move they DIDN'T make yesterday that has me so happy with her and Pelinka. No Laker fan should be disappointed. They showed restraint instead of being hosed. Kudos to them....
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:43 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) embarrassing.

Step 1. Sell the (bleep) team.

Step 2. New owners fire everyone (with exception of maybe a couple of worthy people from scouting department).
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
(bleep) embarrassing.

Step 1. Sell the (bleep) team.

Step 2. New owners fire everyone (with exception of maybe a couple of worthy people from scouting department).

Fire the scouting department too. Any top GM will want his own people and not the Buss boys
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

It's because we lacked asset management based on Bron and AD, that ultimately put us in the position we are today. They seem to be now looking towards the future and preserving their assets, rather than being lackadaisical with it for a quick fix and that's a good sign.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22
Jump to: