Nuggets hire Michael Malone as coach

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Nuggets hire Michael Malone as coach

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/15/report-nuggets-hire-michael-malone-as-coach/

Quote:
Report: Nuggets hire Michael Malone as coach

Kings owner Vivek Ranadivé has Vlade Divac and confusion.

The Nuggets have Sacramento’s discards – former general manager Pete D’Alessandro and former coach Michael Malone.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:

I think Denver came out ahead.

Malone did a good job building Sacramento’s defense, but he neither put it in place quickly nor build a foundation that stood once the Kings (ridiculously) fired him. Considering where they came from, I don’t blame Malone for either. Malone had the Kings defending well for a decent stretch. That’s a victory in my eyes.

He isn’t a perfect fit with Denver’s roster, but it’s malleable – and Malone might be, too. We’ve seen him coach for only a little more than one season.

Malone would be well-served to embrace the Nuggets’ home-court advantage and try to run. The Warriors have proven you can do that while still defending.

There will likely be an adjustment period for both sides, but this a nice, solid hire.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject:

I'm surprised they didn't hire MDA.
I think he's a great match for Lawson and Gallinari.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure MDA wanted a billion dollars a year to live in Denver.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
I'm sure MDA wanted a billion dollars a year to live in Denver.

He's from West Virginia, Denver would be a huge upgrade....
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject:

https://www.si.com/nba/2023/11/13/denver-nuggets-michael-malone-agree-contract-extension

Quote:
Nuggets, Michael Malone Agree to Contract Extension, per Report

Michael Malone and the Nuggets have agreed on a contract extension that will make him one of the NBA’s highest paid coaches, according to ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski.

Malone’s new deal comes five months after guiding Denver to its first NBA title. During the Nuggets’ championship run, they posted a 16-4 mark while taking down the Timberwolves, Suns, Lakers and Heat in the process.

Currently, the Nuggets (8-2) sit atop the Western Conference through 10 games of the 2023-24 NBA season. Although a small sample size of games, the Nuggets remain a legitimate contender to repeat as NBA champion this season behind two-time MVP Nikola Jokić.

The details of Malone’s extension have not been reported yet. The NBA’s top five highest paid coaches this season are the Spurs’ Gregg Popovich ($16 million), Pistons’ Monty Williams ($13.05 million), Warriors’ Steve Kerr ($9.5 million), Heat’s Erik Spoelstra ($8.5 million) and Pacers’ Rick Carlisle ($7.25 million). Malone’s new salary is expected to be similar in value.

Malone has recorded a 375-272 regular-season record and a postseason mark of 37-31 with Denver. The 52-year-old boasts the fourth-longest-tenure among NBA coaches behind Popovich, Spoelstra and Kerr.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: