Dodgers 2022 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 431, 432, 433, 434  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject:

What was/is Correa's medical issue? Only rumor I'm hearing (as SF is not closing anything) is that it is his "back." Pretty strange that this "issue" would be so apparent on an MRI / in a physical examination, that it would cause him to actually fail the physical.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
What was/is Correa's medical issue? Only rumor I'm hearing (as SF is not closing anything) is that it is his "back." Pretty strange that this "issue" would be so apparent on an MRI / in a physical examination, that it would cause him to actually fail the physical.

He hasn't been a model of excellent health, so the "issue" may not be entirely serious. Given the length and $ commitment of the contract, it could be that the Giants wanted nothing less than a flawless exam - which is honestly near impossible for any kind of professional athlete.

I don't doubt they genuinely wanted him, but maybe after mulling over the terms they had buyer's remorse and used the one excuse they could "justify" to back out of it.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Why Giants backed away from Correa agreement after physical

While Correa missed time early in his MLB career with a back injury, multiple league sources said the Giants had concerns about an ankle injury he suffered while in the minor leagues. In 2014, when he was a 19-year-old prospect with the Houston Astros, Correa injured his leg on a slide into third base in a High-A game. The Astros later announced that he underwent surgery on a fractured right fibula and a ligament.

It's not unusual for old injuries to concern teams during physicals, but it's rare that deals do not get completed because of something that is seen during testing, and it is unprecedented for a deal of this magnitude to be shut down. The Giants, having already scheduled a press conference and advertised tickets using Correa's image, saw enough that they felt they needed to hit the pause button.

Correa's team moved quickly after the Giants raised concerns, and by the end of the day Tuesday, he reportedly had a 12-year, 5 million contract with the Mets. While that deal is pending a physical, owner Steve Cohen has been so open about it publicly that the Mets are unlikely to hit any bumps in the road.

Correa's agent, Scott Boras, also has been forthcoming. He told The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal that he informed the Giants that they had been given a reasonable timeframe to come to a decision.

"You're talking about a player who has played eight major-league seasons," Boras said. "There are things in his medical record that happened decades ago. These are all speculative dynamics.

"Every team has a right to go through things and evaluate things. The key thing is, we gave (the Giants) medical reports at the time. They still wanted to sign the player and negotiated with the player."

Boras and Cohen negotiated a new deal late Tuesday night, leaving the Giants to try and pick up the pieces after they backed away from what would have been the second-richest contract in free agency history. It's unclear what their next step will be and there isn't an obvious move to save what has become a very disappointing offseason, but when it comes to Correa, the Giants might simply have to wait.

They felt strongly enough about the health concerns that they took a rare step with a player who was set to be the face of their franchise. At the same time, Correa was offered 12 years by the Mets and 10 by his previous organization, the Minnesota Twins.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/giants/why-giants-backed-away-carlos-correas-franchise-altering-agreement?amp
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject:

looking back, Dodgers should not have let Machado go. i understand, he had attitude problem during his short stint here, but you just don't let someone talented as Machado in his mid-20s go. Padres would not be the same if they had not signed Machado to jump start their franchise. i know it's apple to orange, but losing Manny Machado to Padres felt similar to losing CP3 to Clippers. just imaging, without Machado and CP3, Padres and Clippers would still be the dormant franchise they've always been, Padres would not all of sudden become big spenders in free agency and Donald Sterling might still own the Clippers.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
looking back, Dodgers should not have let Machado go. i understand, he had attitude problem during his short stint here, but you just don't let someone talented as Machado in his mid-20s go. Padres would not be the same if they had not signed Machado to jump start their franchise. i know it's apple to orange, but losing Manny Machado to Padres felt similar to losing CP3 to Clippers. just imaging, without Machado and CP3, Padres and Clippers would still be the dormant franchise they've always been, Padres would not all of sudden become big spenders in free agency and Donald Sterling might still own the Clippers.

Yeah but Manny was very underwhelming in his half season here and besides possibly no Mookie or Freddie if Manny's on the books long term.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately since the Giants missed out on the big name free agents they will have more money to spend for next winter's offseason. That means another team that could derail the Dodgers plan for Ohtani.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject:

I found something interesting on Braves' reddit:

Quote:
Can we go back to the NL West? Or move over to one of the dumpster fire Centrals?? Really (bleep) sick of being in the only division in baseball where multiple teams are actually trying to win.

I guess at least we don't play as many divisional games with the new scheduling format? That's new this year, right?

Quote:
Easiest move would be to swap with the Pirates. They are further east than we are and:

Quote:
When the National League realigned into three divisions in 1994, the Pittsburgh Pirates were originally supposed to stay in the East while the Braves were to be moved to the newly created National League Central.

However, the Braves, wanting to form a natural rivalry with the expansion Florida Marlins, elected to be placed in the East. Despite the Marlins offering to go to the Central, the Pirates instead gave up their spot in the East to the Braves.[5]

Since then, the Pirates have tried several times unsuccessfully to be placed back in the East.[6]

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Blake Harris
@BlakeHarrisTBLA

In 2022, J.D. Martinez posted a 175 wRC+ against left-handed pitching

He was hitting .329 through his first 63 games

Over the final month of the season he was on a 36-homer pace

It’s the Dodgers’ best move of the offseason

Quote:
Holly Baylor 
@HollyBaylorMLB

SOURCE: The San Diego Padres are engaged in trade talks for Bryan Reynolds. Dodgers also in mix
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan

Infielder Danny Mendick and the New York Mets are in agreement on a one-year, $1 million contract, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN.

Mendick, 29, was non-tendered by the White Sox after hitting .289/.343/.443 in 106 plate appearances. Mets get four years of control.

0.5 WAR last year and plays SS

Quote:
In 31 games with Chicago in 2022, Mendick had a .289/.343/.443 slash line with a 125 wRC+, .344 wOBA and a career high 0.8 fWAR.

In June, Mendick tore his anterior cruciate ligament and missed the remainder of the year.

Due to the injury, Mendick likely won't be ready for 2023 Opening Day, but comes with four years of team control and has two minor league options remaining.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dansby Swanson Had Emotional Tie To Cubs

Dansby Swanson's first choice in free agency would have been to re-sign with the Atlanta Braves.

But his second choice was a sentimental one because the newest member of the Chicago Cubs used to watch their games with his grandfather, who died just a week ago.

"Every time I walked in, he would have the Cubs game on," a slightly teary-eyed Swanson said. "He just loved baseball so much. ... Being a Cub means more to me than people will realize. It's no secret I left my hometown team to be here."

Swanson, an Atlanta native, signed a seven-year, $177 million contract with the Cubs.

The Cubs "blew away" the Braves' offer, according to a source.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't hope that I would be back home," Swanson said. "Atlanta is where I always envisioned myself, especially after I got traded. I'm a homebody, my family is there. There's deep roots there, but at the end of the day I reached out [to the Braves] plenty in the offseason ... and got the pretty clear sense that they were going to move on.

"We were on our honeymoon, and we felt this is where we were supposed to be regardless."

Quote:
Dansby Swanson ‘made every effort’ to stay in Atlanta

Alex Anthopoulos discussed Swanson’s departure with The Athletic’s Jeff Schultz

Alex Anthopoulos spoke candidly about Swanson and free agency with the Athletic’s Jeff Schultz Wednesday. The entire interview is well worth your time. Anthopoulos admitted that he spoke with Swanson multiple times during the offseason and that he was willing to leave a significant amount of money on the table to remain in Atlanta. However, the gap between what the Braves were offering and the offer that he accepted from the Cubs was just too wide.

Quote:
Dansby tried hard and was willing to work with the team, but when you’re discussing six years, seven years and so on, you still have to plan out your roster, and you don’t want to have too much money planned out to a small group of players or that you have to trade players.

Everything we do is through the lens of having as deep a 26- and 40-man roster as we can, and as these players get better, they become more expensive.

But from his standpoint, he did everything he could. He was committed, sincere and was more than willing to take a lot less. It’s important that everyone is aware of that. But even then the gap was too great.

That is a much different situation than what happened with Freddie Freeman where there was virtually no contact between the player and the front office until it was too late.

https://www.batterypower.com/2022/12/21/23521833/mlb-free-agency-dansby-swanson-alex-anthopoulos-atlanta-braves

Yeah, Atlanta don't pay their players once they hit free agency, no matter what they say. They did it to Freeman and now Swanson. Next up will be Fried.

I wonder what the Braves' offer was: 5 for $110M?

They have 2 years left of Fried and he'll be a 31 year old free agent. No way they pay him what he wants.

It's ridiculous the amount of revenue the Braves take in (I think top 3-5 in the league) and always asking every single player to take a discount.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:25 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Unfortunately, during our 100 win season run (which may have ended with this FA period) we would trade and get a rental, which is AF's specialty rather than going 10 plus years/300 million plus on a player.

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject:

DrWolf wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Unfortunately, during our 100 win season run (which may have ended with this FA period) we would trade and get a rental, which is AF's specialty rather than going 10 plus years/300 million plus on a player.

I think he had orders in 2018 and 2019 to stay under the CBT for some reason. Not sure why we needed to reset the luxury tax for 2 straight years. Machado would have put us over the CBT in 2019.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:31 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Great player, but so are Mookie and Freeman. Only argument would be if you think that he would have been better than both of them in the post-season (which we'll never know).
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Machado's time here did not go well, both from an underperformance standpoint and from the perspective of rubbing Roberts and the coaching staff the wrong way with attitude and non-hustling issues, and that carried over to the fans as well. He was not coming back after his stint here for a few months.

Regarding Ohtani and the Giants as a possible free agency destination next year, I don't see it, personally, not unless the Giants truly blow every other team out of the water with a crazy offer. Ohtani has been genuinely affected by the Angels' losing, and he wants to go somewhere where he has a consistent chance to win. Now, don't get me wrong, he's going to sign for top dollar. But to me, the Giants haven't demonstrated that they can win consistently. Those World Series titles were quite a while ago now. The 2021 season looks like a fluke.

Regarding Fried, yeah, I don't see him in Atlanta once he hits free agency. As a local LA-area guy, I could see the Dodgers and he having mutual interest, depending on whether or not we have a need in the rotation and depending on whether or not he keeps up this level he's been on over the past couple of years. Personally, I'm a huge fan. Love his stuff and poise and competitiveness.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Trevor Bauer’s initial 324-game suspension under MLB’s domestic violence policy has been reduced to 194 games by an arbitrator, ending a seven-month grievance process.

Bauer is eligible to pitch effective immediately, even though the suspension that was upheld by the arbitrator is longer than the amount he served since the initial suspension by MLB on April 30.

The arbitrator is basically giving him credit for the time he was on the restricted list in the second half of 2021. But he still has to pay back for that time.

The Dodgers have 24 days to decide whether or not to reinstate him onto the 40-man roster.

Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
Trevor Bauer’s initial 324-game suspension under MLB’s domestic violence policy has been reduced to 194 games by an arbitrator, ending a seven-month grievance process.

Bauer is eligible to pitch effective immediately, even though the suspension that was upheld by the arbitrator is longer than the amount he served since the initial suspension by MLB on April 30.

The arbitrator is basically giving him credit for the time he was on the restricted list in the second half of 2021. But he still has to pay back for that time.

The Dodgers have 24 days to decide whether or not to reinstate him onto the 40-man roster.

can someone remind me the cap consequences? Even if we cut him, we still have to cover his $$$ right?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Not a complete and total exoneration, if you read what MLB says the arbitrator found. The Dodgers will release him, 100%. But it seems there will be some financial relief, about 30% of his salary?

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1606086603885010945/photo/1
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

can someone remind me the cap consequences? Even if we cut him, we still have to cover his $$$ right?

Quote:
Even with a portion of Bauer’s salary for the 2023 season docked, the Dodgers must pay an estimated $23 million to the right-hander next year. That would be owed whether or not Bauer remains with the Dodgers.

The Dodgers have until January 6, 2023 to decide whether or not to reinstate Bauer to their 40-man roster. Should they elect against doing so, he would be released and immediately become a free agent.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject:

I think the 50 games of salary that Bauer has to give back could be enough to keep us under the $233MM threshold.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Statement from team:

Quote:
Dodgers’ statement on today’s ruling: “We have just been informed of the arbitrator’s ruling and will comment as soon as practical.”

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Is it possible at all that we got a head's up?

Mike DiGiovanna
@MikeDiGiovanna
·
2m
If my calculations are correct, Trevor Bauer getting docked 50 games of pay would reduce his $32 million salary by 31%. So #Dodgers would owe him $22 million, with $23.5 million going toward CBT payroll. That would bring them to $232.3 million, just under $233-million threshold.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

Mike DiGiovanna
@MikeDiGiovanna
·
2m
If my calculations are correct, Trevor Bauer getting docked 50 games of pay would reduce his $32 million salary by 31%. So #Dodgers would owe him $22 million, with $23.5 million going toward CBT payroll. That would bring them to $232.3 million, just under $233-million threshold.

Looks like it. Soon as I saw a tweet he was coming back I rushed over to ask if we would still be under the threshold. Thank god.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Mike DiGiovanna
@MikeDiGiovanna
·
2m

Looks like it. Soon as I saw a tweet he was coming back I rushed over to ask if we would still be under the threshold. Thank god.

Although I'm also seeing estimates that we'll still be over, with Bauer's payroll salary counting as $24.4MM, putting us at just under $236MM. If so, I suspect we'd make a minor move to get under the $233MM threshold. Otherwise, this entire offseason will have been a disaster.
DrWolf
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Great, Dodgers and Lakers have their own versions of Rusell Westbrook. One is 47 and the other 22.

KOBE BRYANT
1978-2020
BLACK MAMBA RIP
2020 WORLD CHAMPION LAKERS!
2020 WORLD CHAMPION DODGERS!
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Damn, got excited for a minute when I saw the ESPN headline re: Bauer as I thought we're getting a top end of the rotation piece back which we desperately need. Wild card here we go!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 431, 432, 433, 434  Next
Page 432 of 434
Jump to: