Dodgers 2022 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 432, 433, 434

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Some guesses as to where Bauer might end up:

Texas
Arizona
LA Angels
Kansas City
Philadelphia
Miami
St. Louis
Cincinnati
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Some guesses as to where Bauer might end up:

Texas
Arizona
LA Angels
Kansas City
Philadelphia
Miami
St. Louis
Cincinnati

Houston they are the Raiders of MLB.

Here's my solution trade him for Devers with Muncy who becomes redundant and one prospect. The Sox get a sorely needed SP a one year rental to play 3rd in Muncy and a prospect like Eddys Leonard who looks like a stud at short. My Sox fan buddy came up with that one. They Sox most certainly will it not extend Devers and they need to maximize his value by trading before the season begins.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Braves sign Sean Murphy to six-year, $73 million deal

The Atlanta Braves have signed standout catcher Sean Murphy to a six-year, $73 million contract, the team announced Tuesday night.

The deal ties Murphy to Atlanta through the 2028 season. It includes a $15 million club option with no buyout for 2029.

Murphy was acquired earlier this month as part of a three-way trade with the Oakland Athletics and Milwaukee Brewers that saw nine players switch teams overall.

He hit .250/.332/.426 with 18 home runs and played Gold Glove-caliber defense last season for Oakland, and was one of the hottest names on the trade mark before Atlanta pulled off the deal two weeks ago.

Before signing the new contract, Murphy was set to reach arbitration for the first time this season and had three years to go until he reached free agency. He'll now make $4 million in 2023, $9M in 2024 and $15M annually from 2025 to '28.

Murphy marks another core player in the fold for Atlanta long term, joining Ronald Acuna Jr., Ozzie Albies, reigning NL Rookie of the Year Michael Harris II, NL ROY runner-up Spencer Strider, Austin Riley and Matt Olson -- all of whom are signed through at least 2027.

So cheap. Wow, another great deal for them. Wish we locked up Will Smith...
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject:

Looks like releasing Bauer isn't as automatic as people claimed. Looks like we'll take all the time we need to look into trading him, or maybe even keeping him:

Quote:
Dodgers Rumors: Front Office Undecided On Trevor Bauer

The team now has until January 6, 2023, to add Bauer to their 40-man roster or part ways with him. The consensus around baseball is L.A. will ultimately release Bauer if they can’t find a trade partner.

However, the possibility of Bauer returning to the Dodgers can’t be ruled out, either. According to Jack Harris of the L.A. Times, the Dodgers front office is currently undecided on what to do with the right-hander:

Quote:
Yet, as of Thursday night, club executives were still discussing how they would proceed, according to people with knowledge of the situation, and could wait to make a final decision until closer to the Jan. 6 deadline to either release Bauer or activate him.

Quote:
Dodgers Rumors: Front Office Wants More Information From Arbitrator’s Decision On Trevor Bauer

.....according to Jack Harris of the L.A. Times, the Dodgers are looking to obtain more information on Scheinman’s ruling:

Quote:
The team would like to gather more information about precisely what led to the arbitrator’s decision.

Because of the volatility of the case and the public relations barrage that is sure to come with any decision, the Dodgers not having an immediate plan is concerning. But doing their due diligence into Scheinman’s ruling could aid them in their next steps.

However, obtaining information about Bauer’s appeal and the decision to reduce his suspension is nearly impossible due to the confidentiality that comes with the process.

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-rumors-front-office-wants-more-information-from-arbitrators-decision-on-trevor-bauer/2022/12/26/

Yeah, I hope they keep him. I have no issues/reservations with Bauer on the team.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject:

With Kluber and Eovaldi off the market, it must be wait and see if Bauer can redeem himself atop the Dodger rotation, lord knows this team lacks a workhorse like him.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject:

Keeping him would go against everything we've heard up until this latest potential development. But there is no doubt that he would help on the field. Like, bigly.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject:

His teammates don’t want this loser either.

Quote:
"The Dodgers are expected to release Trevor Bauer after his ban was reduced by 130 games and he became eligible for the 2023 season. Word is folks in their clubhouse would prefer he’d be elsewhere."

oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:
"The Dodgers are expected to release Trevor Bauer after his ban was reduced by 130 games and he became eligible for the 2023 season. Word is folks in their clubhouse would prefer he’d be elsewhere."

That'll be great. Then they can watch him shut us down like every other pitcher does in October while we're paying his salary!

I mean, nobody has to be BFF's with the guy. Most of the guys from the past 2 years are gone anyway, except for Muncy, Taylor, Mookie, Kershaw and Barnes.

Maybe, I dunno, give him a chance to see what he's learned. Hell, maybe he'll prove to be a better person after all this, seeing how close he was to losing it all?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

That'll be great. Then they can watch him shut us down like every other pitcher does in October while we're paying his salary!

I mean, nobody has to be BFF's with the guy. Most of the guys from the past 2 years are gone anyway, except for Muncy, Taylor, Mookie, Kershaw and Barnes.

Maybe, I dunno, give him a chance to see what he's learned. Hell, maybe he'll prove to be a better person after all this, seeing how close he was to losing it all?

Yeah, I honestly don't know what's the hangup about. Seeing the video of the victim waking up next to Bauer smiling with absolutely zero bruises on her face seems like it should be enough:

https://twitter.com/italkstudiosyt/status/1606094955801362434
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:

Well his teammates are the same losers full of "good guys" who flame out year after year in the playoffs lacking that edge and grit. Take a look at clubhouses Reggie Jackson was part of whether with the A's or Yankees. Or even Billy Martin of the Yankees. Sometimes you need the (bleep) who are fearless, edgy and confrontational than a bunch of non-playoff performing nice guy wusses that the Dodgers consist of. You want Trevor Bauer or the cat-loving regular season stud/playoff choking mentally weak Tony Gonsolin in a big playoff game?????? Exactly
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject:

oasisdude77 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Quote:

I really can care two (bleep) less about what kind of person Bauer is as long as he can perform in the postseason and here his overall postseason numbers are decent. You think the Yankees cared about what kind of douche Billy Martin was when he kicked the (bleep) out of the Dodgers year in year out as a normally weak hitting middle infielder who suddenly hit like Babe Ruth against the Dodgers in the World Series???? To lose a player of Bauer's caliber for nothing because of a San Diego skank who admitted to setting Bauer up and because the clubhouse would not be koombaya is some really weak (bleep) symbolic of the mental weakness the "nice guy" Dodgers have shown in the playoffs. Give me Reggie Jackson/Billy Martin clubhouse dynamics of the 1970s Yankees if it means we have some guys with edge who will win in the playoffs, not these bunch of "nice guys" who admittedly lacked intensity in their desire to win.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject:

Quote:
You want Trevor Bauer or the cat-loving regular season stud/playoff choking mentally weak Tony Gonsolin in a big playoff game?????? Exactly

I don’t want Trevor Bauer and never did. How’s the experience going so far? Enjoying it? Of all the people for you guys to fanboy. Do better.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
You want Trevor Bauer or the cat-loving regular season stud/playoff choking mentally weak Tony Gonsolin in a big playoff game?????? Exactly

I don’t want Trevor Bauer and never did. How’s the experience going so far? Enjoying it? Of all the people for you guys to fanboy. Do better.

Do better he says??? Why dont YOU do better and prioritize winning over rooting for "nice guys" who admittedly lacked the intensity to win and flamed out a 111 win season. Im sure you also would prefer a guy like Kershaw over the likes of Schilling or Bumgarner even though Kershaw is nowhere near as mentally strong/playoff capable as Schilling and Bumgarner.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

Do better he says??? Why dont YOU do better and prioritize winning over rooting for "nice guys" who admittedly lacked the intensity to win and flamed out a 111 win season. Im sure you also would prefer a guy like Kershaw over the likes of Schilling or Bumgarner even though Kershaw is nowhere near as mentally strong/playoff capable as Schilling and Bumgarner.

Totally agreed. Give me some “villains” on this team with balls when it’s clutch time. Enough of the smiles from Betts, FF and Dave Roberts.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

It's one thing to be a "bad guy" like he didn't pay his taxes, or he took PED's/roids or something. This is obviously different, and unless the woman literally fabricated the entire thing, what you still have here is a man who was willing to inflict violence onto a woman during sex. Even if she wanted it and no crime was committed...you still have to be all kinds of bad inside to be willing to do what he did, allegedly. It's not like the arbitrator ruled that Bauer is innocent. He reduced the suspension, yes, but he still upheld a suspension of more than a year and ruled that Bauer did break baseball's policy, and the arbitrator had more access to info than you or I did, that's for sure. Remember, Bauer, during the criminal investigation, did not deny that he struck the woman, and his defense was that it was consensual. OK, so perhaps no crime was committed. It still takes a sick SOB to be like "oh, she wants to get hit so I have free reign to hit her? Cool!"

I can absolutely understand why a person like that would not be welcomed in a clubhouse. How many Dodger players have young daughters?
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:35 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
ocho wrote:
Quote:

It's one thing to be a "bad guy" like he didn't pay his taxes, or he took PED's/roids or something. This is obviously different, and unless the woman literally fabricated the entire thing, what you still have here is a man who was willing to inflict violence onto a woman during sex. Even if she wanted it and no crime was committed...you still have to be all kinds of bad inside to be willing to do what he did, allegedly. It's not like the arbitrator ruled that Bauer is innocent. He reduced the suspension, yes, but he still upheld a suspension of more than a year and ruled that Bauer did break baseball's policy, and the arbitrator had more access to info than you or I did, that's for sure. Remember, Bauer, during the criminal investigation, did not deny that he struck the woman, and his defense was that it was consensual. OK, so perhaps no crime was committed. It still takes a sick SOB to be like "oh, she wants to get hit so I have free reign to hit her? Cool!"

I can absolutely understand why a person like that would not be welcomed in a clubhouse. How many Dodger players have young daughters?

Fair takes and for sure Bauer will be and should be getting side-eye from whichever locker room he is a part of. That being said, i think we need to keep him frankly because we need him and the reasoning used to let him go because he wont add to the harmony of the locker room or to a appease the minority of the Dodger fan base (since the majority it seems actually do want him back) I just dont think is what a championship team should do. The 111 win team was considered a harmonious locker room and all it got us was to be out-intensied by the weak Padres of all teams. We could use guys with guts and edge especially in the postseason even if he pisses off some team members in the clubhouse who Im sure will put up with him if he performs.

Funny thing, a lot of our smiles all around "nice guys" like Freddie Freeman, Mookie Betts, Will Smith, Chris Taylor and Max Muncy are all proven playoff guys who dont shrink in the moment. It would be nice to mix in some players with edge and grit to this group....kinda like what Pop was always looking for in San Antonio amongst his group of nice guys. If Puig can still play, he is another one I would want to bring back.

And for the love of god the mentally soft pitching chokers like Tony Gonsolin and Dustin May really need to go. May really gives off that Bob Welch on Dodgers scent - that guy with nasty stuff but u just know is deep down soft and will give up the big hit. Gonsolin's softness is really disappointing. Kershaw we can put up with because plenty of postseason experience has made him somewhat mentally reliable and fixed his mentally collapsing tendencies in the past even if his stuff is not as good as it once was. You know who the playoff performers are: its why I always trust Julio and trusted Tyler Anderson who had delivered good playoff performances in the past and gives off pitching quality as well as the stoicism and mental maturity/professional vibes of a Tom Glavine/Rich Hill
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:59 am    Post subject:

^
Where are you willing to draw the line? What about that college pitcher who was going to go high in the draft until the revelation that he molested his underage cousin or niece or something? He wasn't locked up and had his freedom, so technically, anyone could draft him or sign him. Would you want a guy like that on your team? I just think that for me and for many, it's simply not worth the baggage, regardless of his talent. I agree with you that the majority of Dodger fans, based on polls I've seen, would opt to bring him back. But I'm glad that it appears that the team is going to let him go. If I watched him pitch for the Dodgers, it would just feel dirty to me.

As for May, look, maybe he will never be a go-to guy in the postseason. But can we have some perspective here? When we won the World Series in 2020, sure, he didn't look good in the postseason, but he had just turned 23, and he had yet to have a full season in the bigs under his belt. I don't count that 2020 season, since it was shortened. Then he got hurt early in '21, where he was looking like a stud early on. He came back in '22 and at times, looked dominant and filthy, and at other times looked like a guy who had no idea where the ball was going. It was his first season back off a long layoff, so I think cutting the guy some slack is in order. He's still yet to have pitched a full season in the majors and is only 25, and I hate to say this, but he's not going to get a full season in '23, either, since we'll have to be very mindful of his innings this year. The bottom line is I'm not willing to label May as anything given his extremely small sample size in the postseason thus far and given his career arc to this point.

And as for Gonsolin, he had never come close to the kind of workload we gave him last year, and since he was hurt late in the season and came back right at the end, I'm not going to judge him too harshly over one postseason start, either. Is it a concern that he had a poor postseason start again? Sure, but I do feel like there were extenuating circumstances with his injury.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:22 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
Where are you willing to draw the line? What about that college pitcher who was going to go high in the draft until the revelation that he molested his underage cousin or niece or something? He wasn't locked up and had his freedom, so technically, anyone could draft him or sign him. Would you want a guy like that on your team? I just think that for me and for many, it's simply not worth the baggage, regardless of his talent. I agree with you that the majority of Dodger fans, based on polls I've seen, would opt to bring him back. But I'm glad that it appears that the team is going to let him go. If I watched him pitch for the Dodgers, it would just feel dirty to me.

As for May, look, maybe he will never be a go-to guy in the postseason. But can we have some perspective here? When we won the World Series in 2020, sure, he didn't look good in the postseason, but he had just turned 23, and he had yet to have a full season in the bigs under his belt. I don't count that 2020 season, since it was shortened. Then he got hurt early in '21, where he was looking like a stud early on. He came back in '22 and at times, looked dominant and filthy, and at other times looked like a guy who had no idea where the ball was going. It was his first season back off a long layoff, so I think cutting the guy some slack is in order. He's still yet to have pitched a full season in the majors and is only 25, and I hate to say this, but he's not going to get a full season in '23, either, since we'll have to be very mindful of his innings this year. The bottom line is I'm not willing to label May as anything given his extremely small sample size in the postseason thus far and given his career arc to this point.

And as for Gonsolin, he had never come close to the kind of workload we gave him last year, and since he was hurt late in the season and came back right at the end, I'm not going to judge him too harshly over one postseason start, either. Is it a concern that he had a poor postseason start again? Sure, but I do feel like there were extenuating circumstances with his injury.

Hard to say where most of us would draw the line...Im pretty damn sure if Bauer did what Felipe Vasquez did, most of us wouldnt care about Bauer's talent and would just want him gone. Where within that spectrum between what Bauer and Vasquez did is acceptable and unacceptable is hard to say.

As for May/Gonsolin, I know you are a big-time soccer fan so u understand u can just tell from a player's body language in small sample sizes to know who is confident and reliable in a penalty situation and who isnt. Could May/Gonsolin certainly improve their playoff mentality? Sure - Yasiel Puig is certainly an example of a guy who went from being an automatic out in critical moments due to bad plate approach in 2013/2014 to being extremely reliable by 2018 with a good plate approach with added experience. I do know though there are plenty of guys with the right moxie to be good playoff players from the beginning and it would suck to gamble our playoff chances with historically poor performers and hoping they turn it around.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:01 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/danclarksports/status/1609404183463223298?s=46&t=01qz13hsr_3Nm-Hnrlhm6g

4 players, so far, on the team have no issues playing with him.

Assuming this is true, this is. No idea who Dan Clark is
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Re: where to draw the line, I don't think it's a good comparison to compare Luke Heimlich to Trevor Bauer.

Bauer should really be compared to: Aroldis Chapman, Marcell Ozuna, Lance Stephenson, Miles Bridges, Roberto Osuna, Addison Russell.

Where's the line drawn with all these players?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Quote:

Considering how many of those players are no longer in a Dodger uniform will that really matter?
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:49 pm    Post subject:

I think we need a 2023 Dodgers thread now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 432, 433, 434
Page 434 of 434
Jump to: