Getting Hard Cap is Better for the Lakers?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:56 pm    Post subject: Getting Hard Cap is Better for the Lakers?

Sorry for a new thread. So I was trying to find out if the Lakers have the MLE, BAE or both.

So I stumbled onto this article which if accurate is REALLY GOOD.

https://www.lakerholics.com/four-reasons-lakers-would-be-smart-to-hard-cap-themselves-next-season/

The NBA’s new CBA includes major changes designed to prevent teams like the Golden State Warriors and Los Angeles Clippers from willingly paying whatever crazy and exorbitant luxury taxes it takes to win a championship.

At the heart of the change is a second luxury tax threshold set at $17.5 million above the $162 million tax line or $179.5 million. Exceed that tax threshold and a team loses its MLE and has other severe limitations. Overall, the penalties are so draconian that $179.5 million will likely become the ‘de facto’ hard cap going forward. The effect will be to even the total salaries a team can pay and further even the competitive landscape.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:44 pm    Post subject:

No, that guy has no idea what he’s talking about. The list of errors is so long that it isn’t worth the time.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:01 am    Post subject:

A hard cap using the MLE on a "steal" would be a convenient way for the Lakers FO to sell the fanbase on why they could only spend so much and let certain players go.

I could see the scenario of full MLE (may be 12M) + hard cap. We did this in 2020-21. Used the full MLE on Trez, and traded for Dennis. This was a pretty good roster if you look back at it from a RS perspective (depth, size around AD/Bron).

The MLE can be even split up into signing 2 players - one on a 7M per year deal, another on a 5M per year deal. There are some advantages, especially from the tax perspective to go this route.

However I feel we'd only go this way if we could sign what at the moment would be viewed as a "steal" value at the full MLE. Someone taking a discount to come be in LA. I mean, I know he's with klutch, and I don't think this happens, but Dray ..... however that is likely pipe. But it gives you an idea of what sort of thinking would need to be there to use the MLE instead of the tax payer MLE.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:32 am    Post subject:

I like the idea of full court press on Brook. Ham, LBJ, AD and Rob calling him right when FA starts and giving him the full MLE and the max 3-4 yrs.

Brook gets to play for Ham. Come back to California.

Anchor the defense w/AD.

Signing Brook and then retaining all of our key FAs should make our entire team so much better.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:
I like the idea of full court press on Brook. Ham, LBJ, AD and Rob calling him right when FA starts and giving him the full MLE and the max 3-4 yrs.

Anchor the defense w/AD.

Signing Brook and then retaining all of our key FAs should make our entire team so much better.

The issue with this is that on can not be sure you can use the full MLE and also keep Reaves, DLO, Rui. There's still a lot of roster spots to be filled after that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:17 am    Post subject:

LakerFan1987 wrote:

Anchor the defense w/AD.

You want to give 4 years/$50 million to a guy who is 35 years old and hard cap the team? We won't be able to sign all of our guys back if that happens.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: