Elon Musk bought Twitter
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Elon Musk bought Twitter

Welcome back Trump? How will this affect politics? If Trump is given a Twitter platform I think it will strengthen his hold on the Repukelican party.

DISCUSS

Elon Musk and Twitter Reach Deal for Sale: Live Updates

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Not yet sure that it is victory for “free speech” as some are saying, users will be free to tweet what they want as long as Musk doesn’t have any objections — let’s see what happens when he starts getting criticized. Also, if there isn’t some sort of community standard that allows moderation of hateful material, it will quickly slide into an unusable cesspool. Once Musk gets tired of the issues, he’ll probably want to shut it down.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject:

I'm fine with it. If the community goes downhill it will go the way of myspace and he will have wasted his money for nothing.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject:

I don't like this.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject:

That is a lot of money!

He can afford but geez....
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
That is a lot of money!

I don't think he just threw something upside the wall to see what sticks. I think he has a plan. I'm at wit's ends trying to figure out what it is. I have a feeling it's political.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
That is a lot of money!

I don't think he just threw something upside the wall to see what sticks. I think he has a plan. I'm at wit's ends trying to figure out what it is. I have a feeling it's political.

I think he will diminish the one sided moderation that has taken place for years, but I think that is just smoke and mirrors. He did not buy the company to lose money, and I am confident that he will incorporate revenue generating engines that are not really being discussed right now. I am not sure if it will work, but I do not think he bought Twitter for the sole purpose of pushing back against the fringe lefts efforts to silence others. It is no secret that the market has viewed Twitter as underperforming because of a dysfunctional BOD and poor management for years.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
That is a lot of money!

I think he will diminish the one sided moderation that has taken place for years, but I think that is just smoke and mirrors. He did not buy the company to lose money, and I am confident that he will incorporate revenue generating engines that are not really being discussed right now. I am not sure if it will work, but I do not think he bought Twitter for the sole purpose of pushing back against the fringe lefts efforts to silence others. It is no secret that the market has viewed Twitter as underperforming because of a dysfunctional BOD and poor management for years.

Lots to unpack here. First of all, the myth of one sided moderation. There are plenty of full blown right wingers posting on Twitter without any interference. The only people who have been sanctioned have been those who have blatantly spread false information or vicious hate speech.

He didn't buy Twitter as a financial holding, and can totally afford to see it lose money. He's been very clear about what he plans to do. He tries to pretty it up by saying it's about "free speech", but it is clear what he means. He wants to reopen it as a no holds barred forum for his right wing friends and white supremacists.

As for " the fringe lefts efforts to silence others". There is no such effort other than to prevent hate speech, dangerous conspiracy nonsense and outright lies such as the election being stolen. The silencing of others for purely partisan reasons is the realm of the right—"Don't say 'gay'", banning math books over nonsensical "CRT" concerns, etc. You are right about one thing. He does plan to push back against the left, but not in the altruistic sense you claim. He's going to shut down liberal causes like labor organization efforts and the like.

Anyone who says the Musk is simply trying to level the playing field in a fair fashion and correct some poor management is clearly full of it, or completely foolish. There is nothing honorable about the man, and he's not going to start being so with Twitter.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Looks like he may have deleted it, but Shaun Kings post on this:

Quote:
At it’s root, @elonmusk wanting to purchase Twitter is not about right vs left. It’s about white power. This man was raised in Apartheid by a white nationalist. He’s upset that Twitter won’t allow white nationalists to target/harass people. That’s his definition of free speech.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Quote:
At it’s root, @elonmusk wanting to purchase Twitter is not about right vs left. It’s about white power. This man was raised in Apartheid by a white nationalist. He’s upset that Twitter won’t allow white nationalists to target/harass people. That’s his definition of free speech.

He's correct.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Quote:

Thought he only deleted the post, Shaun King's account no longer exists as of this writing. At some point, there will likely be an exodus as others tire of Musk and his "free speech" platform.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Quote:

Thought he only deleted the post, Shaun King's account no longer exists as of this writing. At some point, there will likely be an exodus as others tire of Musk and his "free speech" platform.

Guys, Elon’s only trying to make things fair. Just like oligarchs do.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Let's start up our own twitter alternative and make some money, LG

ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:11 am    Post subject:

LG is the only social networking platform I don't hate. As for Musk, what a stupid way to spend 44 billion. He could do so much good for the world with his wealth, instead he does this.
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Quote:

He's correct.

As correct as he's black.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
That is a lot of money!

Privilege makes any attempt at equality or accountability seem like discrimination.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject:

I'll predict he backs out.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject:

He tweeted this today:

Quote:
The extreme antibody reaction from those who fear free speech says it all

A thoughtless collection of words, which, of course, received a lot of support from a particular political segment in the comments. By repeating "free speech" non stop, they will deprive it of all meaning.

As someone said above, there is nothing honorable about him. He wants power, he wants attention, and he has an agenda that has nothing to do with "free speech."
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject:

If he allows Trump to come back I will deactivate my account.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I'm fine with it. If the community goes downhill it will go the way of myspace and he will have wasted his money for nothing.

He probably wants to kill it as a flex.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

He probably wants to kill it as a flex.

That'd be a bad move considering Tesla stock dived over concerns Musk is over-leveraging his own personal wealth.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Robblake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:26 am    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Quote:

His account exist, he just changed privacy settings apparently.

I really do not care if he bought Twitter. Twitter just makes sharing information easier and sort of centralized for a lot of people. But you can still research more trusted sources and do a little leg work to get the news your comfortable of viewing. If users don’t like how Twitter changes, then just leave. Social media has way too much of a hold on society
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:56 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
That is a lot of money!

Privilege makes any attempt at equality or accountability seem like discrimination.

Someone has been eating high end fortune cookies.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:09 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
That is a lot of money!

Lots to unpack here. First of all, the myth of one sided moderation. There are plenty of full blown right wingers posting on Twitter without any interference. The only people who have been sanctioned have been those who have blatantly spread false information or vicious hate speech.

He didn't buy Twitter as a financial holding, and can totally afford to see it lose money. He's been very clear about what he plans to do. He tries to pretty it up by saying it's about "free speech", but it is clear what he means. He wants to reopen it as a no holds barred forum for his right wing friends and white supremacists.

As for " the fringe lefts efforts to silence others". There is no such effort other than to prevent hate speech, dangerous conspiracy nonsense and outright lies such as the election being stolen. The silencing of others for purely partisan reasons is the realm of the right—"Don't say 'gay'", banning math books over nonsensical "CRT" concerns, etc. You are right about one thing. He does plan to push back against the left, but not in the altruistic sense you claim. He's going to shut down liberal causes like labor organization efforts and the like.

Anyone who says the Musk is simply trying to level the playing field in a fair fashion and correct some poor management is clearly full of it, or completely foolish. There is nothing honorable about the man, and he's not going to start being so with Twitter.

One would have to be delusional or not speaking in good faith to pretend that moderation on Twitter is fair or balanced. Twitter has did little to prevent lies and conspiracies in recent years such as the Russian Collusion Conspiracy, Hunter Biden's laptop being Russian disinformation and allowing a Parental Rights Bill to be misleadingly referred to as the "don't say gay" bill. Twitter has not even tried to slow or inhibit the repulsive low intelligence bs spewed from the left. It is why what is considered popular thought on Twitter is usually about 180 degrees from the actual perception of the public.

Finally, I did not say he was trying to level the playing field....I specifically stated that I thought that was more smoke and mirrors. The man has a plan to make money on his investment....even if we cannot currently identify exactly how he plans on moving forward. I would not be surprised if he moves Twitter to Austin or Miami within a couple years.....and eventually takes it public again.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
One would have to be delusional or not speaking in good faith to pretend that moderation on Twitter is fair or balanced. Twitter has did little to prevent lies and conspiracies in recent years such as the Russian Collusion Conspiracy, Hunter Biden's laptop being Russian disinformation and allowing a Parental Rights Bill to be misleadingly referred to as the "don't say gay" bill. Twitter has not even tried to slow or inhibit the repulsive low intelligence bs spewed from the left. It is why what is considered popular thought on Twitter is usually about 180 degrees from the actual perception of the public.

One would have to be delusional or not speaking in good faith to pretend that you're not consistently trolling. Let's take a break and resume this later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13
Jump to: