Johnny Depp vs Amber Heard - Live YouTube Trial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:

It saddens me when couples can't make it work but this was a Cinderella story with such a magical beginning with two people (one, the most popular actor of his day, the other, an extremely intelligent and beautiful woman) deeply in love, that not only didn't work, but turned into a Shakespearean tragedy.

Some people bring the absolute worst tendencies out of other people. Heard has a mostly stable history w/ past mates save for the one DV incident w/ her ex-wife. Depp has had no one come out of the woodworks to accuse him of being a bad actor. Then they get together and kablooey. There was an audio clip of them insulting each other w/ Amber laughing and it was revolting. Imo, worse than any physical contact she may have truly received. Just ugly and you can tell they hated each other. An avoidant personality is a bad match for a co-dependent type w/ BPD. Dr. Collins said even being late for 2 mins can spark a huge fight, so him being late and maybe drunk to her 30th bday wasn't a fuggedaboutit act that he might've thought it was. Besides that, shows immaturity that a 30 yr old needed a special party that much. Jeez. Just a sidebar tho. If she needed her 30th bday to be perfect, it's indication that it was probably a Herculean task not to screw up other such moments.

The couple dynamic comes into play in serial killer couples, usually. The women in those couples always have people in their family and close circle vouching that they never would've done anything approaching what they did if they weren't in that relationship. Sometimes one person can perfectly unlock another's Pandora's box while the prior 4-5 mates (in Depp's case) never did. I also have no doubt at all that Heard and Depp were enablers to each other drug wise. All the talk about Depp's drug use falls flat for me being that she had him getting her X and shrooms. It's not a case of my preferred drugs aren't as bad as yours. Both of them were druggies with Depp being more committed. Fall down drunks have a bad connotation in this society, which isn't lost on Heard's team of legal eagles. Otherwise, why belabor pics of him passed out w/ ice cream? It's a disgusting look, that's why.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Kate Moss tomorrow #TeamDepp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject:

TMZ guy just owned Elaine

https://twitter.com/inescapabledeed/status/1529542112529813505?s=21
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:47 am    Post subject:

As Depp was on the stand yesterday, there were some rather vulgar text messages that Rottenborn read aloud, and it definitely wasn't good for Depp, especially because he actually flat-out denied that two of the texts were made by him. He said that it must have been someone that borrowed his phone because he would never say something like that. I can't imagine that this was a good moment for him, even if I think the trial has generally gone well for him overall. His experts have been far better witnesses, his experts have generally rebutted the experts from Heard pretty well, and Heard herself, of course, was a terrible witness who was caught in many lies during his testimony. Still, yeah, that was a clear bad moment for the Depp team yesterday.

We're almost to the end of this thing, with closing arguments scheduled for Friday. I'll put the odds of Depp winning a judgment at about 20%, with Heard's odds of winning her counterclaim at about 1%.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
As Depp was on the stand yesterday, there were some rather vulgar text messages that Rottenborn read aloud, and it definitely wasn't good for Depp, especially because he actually flat-out denied that two of the texts were made by him. He said that it must have been someone that borrowed his phone because he would never say something like that. I can't imagine that this was a good moment for him, even if I think the trial has generally gone well for him overall. His experts have been far better witnesses, his experts have generally rebutted the experts from Heard pretty well, and Heard herself, of course, was a terrible witness who was caught in many lies during his testimony. Still, yeah, that was a clear bad moment for the Depp team yesterday.

Depp was telling the truth, he never sent those text:

https://twitter.com/babygotbacchus/status/1529537046586564608?s=21

They were incoming, meaning they were from someone else sent to him. Rottenborn either made a mistake showing these text or tried to deceive the jury making it look like Depp wrote them which he clearly did not. But Depp’s team should’ve picked up on that keyword for their redirect.

Last edited by Nash Vegas on Thu May 26, 2022 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject:

Dr. Curry, who said she had a sophisticated way of minimizing her own actions while inflating others' transgressions, was proven correct to a T today for damn certain. Man. It's not that often that someone like Amber comes down the pike. She's got an excuse for everything and an answer for everything in the effort to absolve herself of anything bad. Only thing she fessed to were audio clips of the "laughing" convo she had w/ Depp and that was because it was on tape. One of the other things Curry emphasized was her inner anger. Against Vasquez, you can tell that Amber is up for any fight. That's the closest approximation of the real Amber that she's shown in the trial. However, if she weren't in court, she'd have been throwing F bombs at Vasquez.

She's an angry little cuss, tho. I don't think she's capable of understanding that denying and deflecting nearly 100% of her own actions looks bad in total. She is seemingly incapable of mixing it up so that she sounds a little more believable. Reminds me of the PTSD chart where she selected 19 of 20 features of PTSD. She has the personality to fight and the gumption to even lie on stand and contrive a whole bunch of evidence and then goes out again and does the op-ed after signing an NDA. She doesn't have the ability to make it all appear balanced or realistic. She presents herself in a perfect, innocent light unless there is absolutely no chance of doing otherwise, ie when it's recorded on audio.

If I were women's advocates, I would cut the ripcord on her. It's easy for them to simply allow for the possibility that occasionally sophisticated and willing liars are able to string onlookers along until proven otherwise. She would be an understandable mea culpa, but if they continue to allow her to attend those events, it damages their credibility. It's not a common thing, but every so often, you're faced with someone like Trump or Heard. Kinda reminds me of Duke lacrosse, but the woman in that case had a more severe case of mental illness, one that made her barely functional at life. She's currently in prison for killing her prior live-in BF post Duke. The general image of rich, white, Duke fratboys/athletes dragged the plausibility of that case down the road aways. But Amber has much less of an excuse, imo. She may have BPD/HPD, but she's functional enough to know right from wrong. And the result is a guy who may be a boor and a druggie getting pegged as a raypist/wifebeater when he wasn't one. Another result is the kids hospital being stiffed of a "pledge" for 3 mill. It'll be interesting to see what she ultimately does w/ that money. She forced herself now to actually donate it after the trial, you would think, at least. She already had the oppty to do so for a year already. That's another rake she stepped on. If she had never made the promise, no one would care about her keeping the 7 mill. And if she had simply followed the NDA, none of this.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject:

LA Children’s Hospital Twitter account liked this tweet: 😂

https://twitter.com/steviejraw/status/1527992787639345153?s=21
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
LA Children’s Hospital Twitter account liked this tweet: 😂

https://twitter.com/steviejraw/status/1527992787639345153?s=21

Dumb & Dumber:

Carrey shows Lauren Holly suitcase full of IOUs instead of the stacks of 100s he had spent. Iirc, IOU was written in crayon for an added touch.

"Those are IOUs. They're just as good as money."
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Depp was telling the truth, he never sent those text:

https://twitter.com/babygotbacchus/status/1529537046586564608?s=21

They were incoming, meaning they were from someone else sent to him. Rottenborn either made a mistake showing these text or tried to deceive the jury making it look like Depp wrote them which he clearly did not. But Depp’s team should’ve picked up on that keyword for their redirect.

I could be wrong, but I did not see this addressed yesterday during redirect, nor today, and both sides have rested now, of course. If you have something that you saw that suggests otherwise, please feel free to comment.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I could be wrong, but I did not see this addressed yesterday during redirect, nor today, and both sides have rested now, of course. If you have something that you saw that suggests otherwise, please feel free to comment.

Meant that Depp’s team should’ve picked up on this and used it with their redirect. They skipped it. Even one of the Law&Crime hosts picked up on it and questioned that Depp’s team completely missed Rottenborn’s “mistake” as she called it.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Meant that Depp’s team should’ve picked up on this and used it with their redirect. They skipped it. Even one of the Law&Crime hosts picked up on it and questioned that Depp’s team completely missed Rottenborn’s “mistake” as she called it.

I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't have been on top of it, either yesterday or today.

I saw the testimony again today, and Heard was once again pretty unbelievable, and I don't mean that in a good way. Still, it's really, really hard to prove defamation and to win a judgment, and I suspect that this jury will be no different. Still, the public seems overwhelmingly in Depp's corner after this, which I am guessing was his main objective throughout.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't have been on top of it, either yesterday or today.

I saw the testimony again today, and Heard was once again pretty unbelievable, and I don't mean that in a good way. Still, it's really, really hard to prove defamation and to win a judgment, and I suspect that this jury will be no different. Still, the public seems overwhelmingly in Depp's corner after this, which I am guessing was his main objective throughout.

Depp’s team despite how much better they are compared to Heard’s, have missed quite a few throughout this whole 6 week trial. This one was one of the more noticeable one though, and they couldn’t bring that topic back up today because none of Heard’s surrebuttal witness brought it up.

Now that it’s over, wonder how long it’ll take the jury to reach a verdict.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Depp’s team despite how much better they are compared to Heard’s, have missed quite a few throughout this whole 6 week trial. This one was one of the more noticeable one though, and they couldn’t bring that topic back up today because none of Heard’s surrebuttal witness brought it up.

Now that it’s over, wonder how long it’ll take the jury to reach a verdict.

The judge said they will have closing arguments in the morning and that they should get the case sometime in the afternoon. I don't know if there is a time limit for how long they can make their closing arguments, but based on the judge's comments I'd expect each side to take a couple of hours for that. As I understand it, the plaintiff (Depp's side) goes first, and then we'll hear the closing from Heard's side. I believe the plaintiff's side, under VA law and many other states, has the right to then close with a rebuttal to the defendant's closing argument, as the plaintiff is the one with the burden of proof. I don't know if there's a time limit on all this as well; for example, do both sides have equal time including the rebuttal, or is it equal time and then the plaintiff gets some additional time?
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:04 am    Post subject:

I listen to other lawyers / attorneys on YouTube who’s been covering the Trial. Emily Baker is one of them, and she has a fellow attorney who’s been attending the trial giving juror reactions:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_gKnlnLF5RE&t=11810s

From what he’s been witnessing in court for some time now is that jurors are showing no emotion or sympathy to Amber Heard. They also point out how Heard’s team gets away with mistaking the evidence and purpose omissions to mislead.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject:

@chickenstu

You watching closing arguments? Heard’s attorney showed all those text messages again EXCEPT the one with the incoming message. Wow! So they either made a mistake and realized they got away with it, or they tried to deceive the jury the other day just to put that text on their minds but not bring it up again for closing rebuttal. Wow.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject:

Heard’s team is as bad as Amber, misstating evidence and doing it rapidly to get as many lies in before the objections are called, that even the judge is now admonishing them to stop and clear them up. Wow.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject:

NY Times: TikTok’s Amber Heard Hate Machine

Television turned the celebrity trial into a 24-hour tabloid spectacle. Social media made it into a sport.

By Amanda Hess
Published May 26, 2022
Updated May 27, 2022, 8:35 a.m. ET
I did not follow the defamation trial between Johnny Depp and Amber Heard — it followed me.

A few weeks ago, images from the courtroom began to saturate my social media feeds. Platforms that fed me soothing cake decoration tutorials and “Sopranos”-themed therapy memes now served up regular dispatches from the proceedings, all filtered through the glorification of Depp and mockery of Heard. Heard blows her nose during her testimony, and a TikTok appears accusing her of snorting cocaine on the stand. Depp adjusts a phone cord near Camille Vasquez, his attorney, and the gesture is replayed in slow motion and exalted as a chivalrous deed. Heard’s attorneys introduce a series of violent text messages between the couple, and a TikToker films herself absorbing Depp’s words with panting, orgiastic reverence.

Depp is suing Heard, arguing that she defamed him in a 2018 Washington Post op-ed where she called herself a “public figure representing domestic violence”; she is countersuing, arguing that he defamed her when his lawyer accused her of perpetrating an “abuse hoax.” Many of the trial’s central incidents were previously aired in court in 2020, when Depp sued the British tabloid The Sun for calling him a “wife beater.” He lost that case, with the judge ruling that Heard’s abuse claims were “substantially true.” But I didn’t hear about any of that, because that trial was not broadcast live and replicated obsessively across the internet.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject:

Analysts are saying Heard has the law protecting her, while Depp has the facts supporting him.

What they say will likely happen is Depp will win at least 1 of the 3 claims.

I leaned a lot. The law is not always meant to be fair, it can be pretty bias.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject:

I don't get up early enough in the morning to watch the stuff live, so I watch the testimony later on in the afternoon or at night. I haven't watched the entire trial, but for the past 7-10 days or so of testimony, I've watched it all after the fact. The first 4-5 weeks of the trial or so, I watched snippets and recaps but not everything.

Just watched Depp's team, with Camille Vasquez and Ben Chew delivering the closing arguments. Now I'm on to watching Heard's turn. Hopefully Rottenborn doesn't offend my sensibilities too much; I can't stand that guy!

EDIT: Well, I'm 10 minutes in, and he's irking me. LOL.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Camille Vasquez is stunning. Beauty, brains and razor sharp.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject:

I got done watching all of the closing arguments just now. I'll raise my odds of Depp winning a judgment from 20% to 40%. I still think that defamation is usually a very difficult case to prove, but he doesn't need to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, he just needs to prove it on a standard of "more likely than not." Given that virtually everyone thinks that Heard was beyond awful on the witness stand, I think he has an actual shot here.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject:

No verdict on day 2 of deliberations, but the jury asked the judge a question about Question 3 of the jury instructions. Analysts are saying that could be a positive sign for Depp, because it would seem to indicate that they got beyond the first 2 questions of jury instructions by answering "yes" to those questions. If they answer "no" to any of the first few, Depp can't win the case. If I recall correctly, they have to answer yes to the first 4 or 5 questions of jury instructions, and then if they do, the last two questions are regarding the amount of his damages, and how much they want to award.

Question 3, by the way, had to do with the title of the op-ed and Heard's re-tweet of it.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject:

I have low key followed this. I don't know all the details and usually it's both sides fault. But I can say, that it has happened to myself personally where an ex wife completely made up/fabricated abuse, etc after an initial amicable separation, when lawyers/child custody/money was involved. 6 years later, I'm still going through it, and my lawyer fees are in 150K range over these years.

Anyway point is, if Johnny was in my boat, IE Amber made up a lot of stuff, and usually began fights by hitting him (which happened to me) and his worse fault was saying mean things to her in the marriage, I don't see why Depp should have lost all that movie income/jobs and I hope he does get some reward here.

But I don't know if that's the case with Depp/Heard, but it certainly was in mine and that side of me hopes Depp wins big.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject:

The verdict is in. Will be read at 3pm. ET.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject:

Holy crap! They are sending the jury back into the deliberation room because they didn't fill out the amount of compensatory damages! But it appears that someone has, indeed, won!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: