Head Coach Mr. DARVIN HAM Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 178, 179, 180 ... 283, 284, 285  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Ham designing the last 2 plays with AR inbounding the ball… was AR even an option then? It would’ve probably been better if Ham drew the last play for AR to take the 3 and for Lakers to go for the win instead of tie.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Ham designing the last 2 plays with AR inbounding the ball… was AR even an option then? It would’ve probably been better if Ham drew the last play for AR to take the 3 and for Lakers to go for the win instead of tie.

Same…the team lacks the ability to close games…AR may be that player next year based on his late game play this season+playoffs. If this team could close they may be able to win a ship. Probably need an upgrade at SF so if that player can iso crunch time baskets it would improve the team’s title chances significantly.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:53 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

That ball was going to LeBron James, no matter what

I actually would’ve liked to of seen them run some thing for Austin Reaves, because that guy is clutch

But LeBron is the star here LeBron and Anthony Davis are going to be the first options

Truth be told I thought that last play was (bleep) that was either a foul on the nuggets or a jump ball

I’m not saying that the Nuggets didn’t deserve to win you don’t come into another team is HomeCourt win and not deserve to win
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:54 am    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
2019 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Last play, why would you leave Dennis in the game? Just allows Murray to play off him. Man, so many small mistakes.

He rewarded the 5 best players this series. And D'lo has been trash. But I guess anything to blame Ham.

Nope you are right he is a great coach and should get a lifetime contract. He might be better than Phil Jackson.

Why are you doing this? Nobody is saying that Darvin ham deserves a lifetime contract here.

The facts are he’s a first year head coach who coach the team to the Western Conference finals. You’re not gonna walk away from a coach like that. That just doesn’t make any sense.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:57 am    Post subject:

Black Sheep wrote:
1 challenge could have changed this game...

The way that this game was going I am sure that Darvin ham felt he needed to keep that challenge in his hip pocket for the end of the game

I actually thought darvin used his timeouts wisely in this game
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:58 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Play

Max

Christie

Against

Big

Point

Guards,

Idiot

That wasn’t going to happen this year. Max just doesn’t have enough time on task. I do have high hopes for him next year. I hope that he makes the active roster.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:02 am    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
I thought he did well...

Umm A+..wait a minute..three guard lineup that never works..uumm

Oakay a B....wait...keeping Beaze out there and not even taking him out of the startig lineup until he just saw that its not working with catch and shoot strategy annnd not trying to find plays for him..taking LW4 position for no reason.

Okay how about a C? Wellll he kind of started making timeouts butttt majority of the times its hands in my pockets time and watch leads fall.

Okay how about a D? Ummm no adjustments when he see a player gettting burnt ""DLO Vs Brown" and not telling LBJ he not Curry

Okay F+? Nope because the team always has a horrible 3rd qtr not once but all series..no energy or no plan just win inspite of this coach. 15 point lead ..any leads at the half means nothing when this team comes out in the 3rd...smh.

F-..thats about correct.

One of the fun things about the off-season is I get to watch you stew about the fact that Darvin ham is the head coach of this team. All you can do is sit there and complain about it. I wallow in your misery.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:13 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
I'd give him a solid B for the season.
He has good rapport with the guys on the roster.
He's level headed, doesn't get too high or too low.

Will be interesting to see if he's flexible and can adapt with whatever roster changes we make heading into training camp.
Also want to see how he does in terms of player development. That'll determine alot in terms of his future here.

I give him a slightly higher grade, but the jury is out on whether he is actually a good coach by NBA standards. If you look at the entire body of work, he got a problematic roster with too many small guards, including Westbrook. We didn't even have Schroder to start the season. We had Beverley guarding forwards. We started off with a brutal schedule, and our shooting was historically bad. We were 10 for 40 from three in the first game (Kendrick Nunn being the bright spot, believe it or not), then 9 for 45 in the second game, followed by 6 for 33. We eventually rallied from the awful start, but the roster was poor, and we had the usual injuries to Davis and Lebron. Then we improved the roster, rallied down the stretch, got relatively healthy, and made the conference finals. But the roster still wasn't good enough to be a legitimate contender.

I think he did as well as anyone could have done under the circumstances. In fact, he was a good fit for the particular circumstances of the roster and the season. But this does not mean that he is actually a good coach in the big picture sense. Just because he can manage a bad situation does not mean that he can excel in a good situation. That remains to be seen.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 5:51 am    Post subject:

As I said before the Nuggets series, we would find out what level of a coach Ham is in this series. He didn’t have the same extreme match up advantages with AD. We didn’t face Adams with Memphis (and Ja was injured plus the whole gun fiasco). Once we played someone actually 50sh win level, we got beat 4-0 and many of Ham’s offense and defensive schemes looked weak.

Of course on the whole, he deserves props for keeping the locker room focused, together and team chemistry was solid after the Westbrook trade. I have nothing against him, but to me he’s pretty mediocre in terms of on the court stuff. Next year will be interesting when the expectation is now that they need to be WCF/50 win level team and better. There was no pressure to be anything more than a play in team this year. Next year, whole new can of worms. I wish him well, seems like a really solid dude. I agree he deserves at least a B grade. Probably would have been an A from me had he showed some adjustments in the Nuggets series I agreed with.

Main concern going forward - does he adjust to moving AD to starting 4 which we need. He seems to view AD as a 5 and loves 3-4 guard lineups. That’s fine against midget teams but when you play teams like a healthy Suns, Clippers, Nuggets and even Grizz it ain’t working.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 6:43 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
As I said before the Nuggets series, we would find out what level of a coach Ham is in this series. He didn’t have the same extreme match up advantages with AD. We didn’t face Adams with Memphis (and Ja was injured plus the whole gun fiasco). Once we played someone actually 50sh win level, we got beat 4-0 and many of Ham’s offense and defensive schemes looked weak.

Of course on the whole, he deserves props for keeping the locker room focused, together and team chemistry was solid after the Westbrook trade. I have nothing against him, but to me he’s pretty mediocre in terms of on the court stuff. Next year will be interesting when the expectation is now that they need to be WCF/50 win level team and better. There was no pressure to be anything more than a play in team this year. Next year, whole new can of worms. I wish him well, seems like a really solid dude. I agree he deserves at least a B grade. Probably would have been an A from me had he showed some adjustments in the Nuggets series I agreed with.

Main concern going forward - does he adjust to moving AD to starting 4 which we need. He seems to view AD as a 5 and loves 3-4 guard lineups. That’s fine against midget teams but when you play teams like a healthy Suns, Clippers, Nuggets and even Grizz it ain’t working.

I going to make this simple. Every game in Den we could have won..If he would have simply stopped his pride of trying to fit DLO a circle into a square..Means stop putting him out there with brown..IT JUST NOT A GOO
D MATCHUP WITH HIM. How hard and strbborn to see that? Everytime brown goes n this clown put DLO out there ..smh. Also loves this small ball garbage and they walk us right down or we behind the 8 ball to start a qtr with this junk.

Next you say he got the locker room...Okay then how come they come out unfocused in the 3qtr? Lathargic..no energy....Just plain crappy. I mean is those RDCWorld Skits real or something?...every 3rd qtr we collapse..not just this series ..EVERY GAME this SEASON..thats sad.

Is he going to stop with the 3 guard lineup? He has played that allll year and everybody and they moma see it doesnt work...but he doesnt see that...He not changeing. Move AD to 4? He will tease you but he wont make a perm adjustment..why i say that? He could have moved TT in Game 3 to center and let AD be four. He could have done that in GSW with DRAY in but nope and i dont see him doing it next year..He refuses to see the obvious and just stubborn. Ohh also i dont expect Rui to start even when he plays great...HAM just awful recognizing what he has..Lw4 RUI TT good luck.
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:34 am    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I going to make this simple. Every game in Den we could have won..If he would have simply stopped his pride of trying to fit DLO a circle into a square..Means stop putting him out there with brown..IT JUST NOT A GOO
D MATCHUP WITH HIM. How hard and strbborn to see that? Everytime brown goes n this clown put DLO out there ..smh. Also loves this small ball garbage and they walk us right down or we behind the 8 ball to start a qtr with this junk.

Next you say he got the locker room...Okay then how come they come out unfocused in the 3qtr? Lathargic..no energy....Just plain crappy. I mean is those RDCWorld Skits real or something?...every 3rd qtr we collapse..not just this series ..EVERY GAME this SEASON..thats sad.

Is he going to stop with the 3 guard lineup? He has played that allll year and everybody and they moma see it doesnt work...but he doesnt see that...He not changeing. Move AD to 4? He will tease you but he wont make a perm adjustment..why i say that? He could have moved TT in Game 3 to center and let AD be four. He could have done that in GSW with DRAY in but nope and i dont see him doing it next year..He refuses to see the obvious and just stubborn. Ohh also i dont expect Rui to start even when he plays great...HAM just awful recognizing what he has..Lw4 RUI TT good luck.

Yah we are screwed for next 3 seasons.
I been advocating that Ham is useless for months now.

Most fans keep using the he is a rookie coach excuse.
Our window is closing why are we dancing around this fact. I don’t care if Ham can be a great coach in 10 years.

And it hurts more that Nurse is available.

He is the perfect candidate to maximize this team.

He had shown that he can utilize a team with superstar resting in regular season; and have a good record.

Ham has shown that he can only play Lebron 40+ min to get wins.

Ham is not gonna changed.

Something needs to be done.

If nothing is done, we are just wasting Lebron final year
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:08 am    Post subject:

He is an assistant at best. Keeps playing that dumb 3 guard lineups even when its not working.
_#1_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject:

Those oto plays were some of the worst I've seen. Who told AR to have a beer and watch from the sideline? I've been both warm and cold on him at times. Lot's to complain about though after the Nugs series.
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:28 pm    Post subject:

If the FO is adamant in keeping him for the duration of his contract, get him a veteran assistant/brains trust at least to help with the X&Os. Ham was a (bleep) in the Denver series.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 9:45 pm    Post subject:

giordan0 wrote:
If the FO is adamant in keeping him for the duration of his contract, get him a veteran assistant/brains trust at least to help with the X&Os. Ham was a (bleep) in the Denver series.

yeah, the real problem is you need an S-tier assistant by Ham's side, not Chris Jent who seems more like Ham's friend and moral support
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject:

We had a lot of really good ATOs. I can't disagree that the last one wasn't well-designed, though.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 4:28 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
We had a lot of really good ATOs. I can't disagree that the last one wasn't well-designed, though.

I don't know about that. Lebron was going to take the shot. The same thing was true for Kobe back in the day. Lebron didn't get it done. But really, getting Lebron going to the basket was the play that any coach would have wanted.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject:

Should we be looking to add a high caliber “assistant” coach.

Someone like Dantoni, would a great head coach like Monty or coach Budenholzer agree to a 1 year stint?

Vogel did his best work when Kidd was his assistant.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject:

^^^^

No. It was reported that part of the deal with Ham is that the front office wouldn't meddle with his assistants. If he wants to make changes, that's one thing. If the front office did something to undermine him, then, well, here we go again.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:16 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Defensively Lebron is a 4 today, that makes AD the defensive center. Offensively AD has to play in the paint, his perimeter game seems to be gone. I think that Ham is playing the two of them correctly.
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

No. It was reported that part of the deal with Ham is that the front office wouldn't meddle with his assistants. If he wants to make changes, that's one thing. If the front office did something to undermine him, then, well, here we go again.

That makes sense, but I meant with him on board with it.

He just needs some help, I hope he sees that.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
Should we be looking to add a high caliber “assistant” coach.

Someone like Dantoni, would a great head coach like Monty or coach Budenholzer agree to a 1 year stint?

Vogel did his best work when Kidd was his assistant.

I think Budenholzer would feel humiliated by being an assistant to his former assistant.

Similarly, I think D’Antoni would feel humiliated about being an assistant for a franchise he was once the Head Coach for.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:27 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

I'm not sold on the idea that he needs help, at least in this sense. The help he needs is a properly constructed roster.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
rock0100 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

I'm not sold on the idea that he needs help, at least in this sense. The help he needs is a properly constructed roster.

I not goingt o say noting ..Im going to let Ham do it for me.

Naw im just going to do the tip of the iceberg

1.Continously make small ball linups
2.Has mental lapses of not caling timeouts.
3.cant make proper adjustments.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject:

What really messed Lakers up against Denver wasn't Ham, it was LeBron James.

LeBron James for whatever reason switched to being point, which messed up the role of DLO.

Lakers won 2 series with DLO, Schröder, or Reaves as pointd.

LeBron switched to primary points vs Nuggets, slowed the offense, shot Lakers out of games.

Now I do think Ham has his blame. A lot of blame.

Ham lacked in game adjustments, game to game adjustments.

When Ham started the 1st game with Schröder, DLO, and Reaves, I knew he was over his head.

And then he kept playing the combinations of Schröder, DLO, and Reaves when that combination have shown to be ineffective vs Denver, because I mean, they have a player named Michael Porter Jr. Who is 6'10. Smh

Ham didn't know how to play Vando.

I forgot Troy Brown was even on the team.

He kept going with Lonnie because he did well in 1 game.

Then he didn't play Tristan until game 4, when he could handle the physicality of Jokic.

Ham's coaching was amateur hour, along with Bron killing the Lakers.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 178, 179, 180 ... 283, 284, 285  Next
Page 179 of 285
Jump to: